The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Off the wall suggestions for this wee one.
Girl: Cara Reminds me for some reason of the old tune by Jay and the Americans "Cara Mia"
Boy: Marcus In honor of Zara's dad, Mark.
Like your name suggestions, Osipi.

I am hoping for a boy for them and Marcus seems like a great name.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Marcus is cute, but I would think if honoring her dad they would use his name, Mark. But I don't think we will see it as a first name. I think like Mia they will go with something more original.

I really do think we will see Philip as a middle name if a boy. It honors both grandfathers of the baby and Zara's grandfather.

I look forward to seeing the first name. Unlike baby Cambridge, the name will be less predictable certainly.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Marcus is cute, but I would think if honoring her dad they would use his name, Mark. But I don't think we will see it as a first name. I think like Mia they will go with something more original.

I really do think we will see Philip as a middle name if a boy. It honors both grandfathers of the baby and Zara's grandfather.

I look forward to seeing the first name. Unlike baby Cambridge, the name will be less predictable certainly.
More original in the context of the BRF, yes, but Mia was the tenth most popular girl name in 2016 and has been in the top ten for the last few years. So not at all original in that sense. It's what I would call a "faddy" name which will date.

They will probably choose another currently popular name but not necessarily a "classic" name. Similar names that are in fashion are Ava, Freya, Evie and Isla (which is out because already given to her cousin).
Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

So for clarity: we are expecting this baby around the time of Kate's baby? Or is this a summer baby? It seems to me that Zara is further along than a summer baby. I agree with those who say it will be a spring baby.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well IIRC the announcement said summer I think...but she's showing quite a bit so I'm thinking end of May or in June.

LaRae
Old 03-25-2018, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well IIRC the announcement said summer I think...but she's showing quite a bit so I'm thinking end of May or in June. LaRae
I agree. I think she and Kate are neck-and-neck, though Kate will likely edge her out by a hair.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. I think she and Kate are neck-and-neck, though Kate will likely edge her out by a hair.
I think Kate will have her baby by the 15th ish.

LaRae
Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think Kate will have her baby by the 15th ish. LaRae
I agree. My best bet on Kate is anywhere from early to mid-April. So we'll see. Zara mid to late April or into May.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well IIRC the announcement said summer I think...but she's showing quite a bit so I'm thinking end of May or in June.

LaRae
I don't think anything official was ever said about a due date. There was just an announcement that they were expecting a second child. The media speculated summer, since that would be the timing if they announced at 3 months.

Most of us thought Zara was more likely at least 4 1/2 to 5 months along, since she had a miscarriage a few weeks after announcing the last time.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As discussed a few times in the thread, no due date was ever announced. The summer was the Daily fail assuming she announced at 3 months. Ignoring they waited till 4 months last pregnancy (and miscarried after).

If May, I am thinking early to mid May at the latest. She doesn't look more then a month behind Kate at best. And that would be right along the time line, waiting past four months like last pregnancy, to announce.

Quote:
More original in the context of the BRF, yes, but Mia was the tenth most popular girl name in 2016 and has been in the top ten for the last few years. So not at all original in that sense. It's what I would call a "faddy" name which will date.

They will probably choose another currently popular name but not necessarily a "classic" name. Similar names that are in fashion are Ava, Freya, Evie and Isla (which is out because already given to her cousin).
Just because a name is popular now doesn't make it 'faddy' or not classic. Classic names are becoming extremely popular, even very old fashioned names, in the past few years. Seems to be a reaction to balance out all the Aiden, jaden, Raiden, Maden, Braden names that took over.

Top ten in UK: Olivia, Sophie, Amelia, Lily, Emily. Eva, Isabella and Isabelle, and Isla and Mia. Most of those are very classic traditional names (several of them with royal history). The only slightly faddy would be Isla. Add in names like Ella, Poppy, Grace, Charlotte, Sophie and Evelyn in the top 20 and its even more evident. Same with boys where you see Oliver, Jack, George, Noah, Leo, Oscar, Charlie, William, Joshua, Lucas all very traditional names among the top 20.

And when it comes to royal babies- choosing something without any royal pedigree, popular or not, is new and unexpected. Its not predictable like George and Charlotte.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Just because a name is popular now doesn't make it 'faddy' or not classic. Classic names are becoming extremely popular, even very old fashioned names, in the past few years.
To be clear, I am talking about names in Great Britain; more particularly England and Wales as Scotland tends to differ to some degree, with some names being more localised there. So what I am saying may not be true for other Anglophone countries.

Classic names are always popular in the sense that they occur regularly through the decades. They may not always be in the top twenty, or even the top fifty, but they are still there in some number.

Some names go out of fashion because they have been popular in the previous two generations. Parents tend to avoid giving names that were common in their own generation and that of their parents. They look rather to names from their grandparents' and great-grandparents' generations, and so those "old-fashioned" names come around again.

When a name suddenly becomes enormously popular without much in the way of precedence, I would see it as a fad, and those names will date.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
To be clear, I am talking about names in Great Britain; more particularly England and Wales as Scotland tends to differ to some degree, with some names being more localised there. So what I am saying may not be true for other Anglophone countries.

Classic names are always popular in the sense that they occur regularly through the decades. They may not always be in the top twenty, or even the top fifty, but they are still there in some number.

Some names go out of fashion because they have been popular in the previous two generations. Parents tend to avoid giving names that were common in their own generation and that of their parents. They look rather to names from their grandparents' and great-grandparents' generations, and so those "old-fashioned" names come around again.

When a name suddenly becomes enormously popular without much in the way of precedence, I would see it as a fad, and those names will date.

Yet all your 'faddy names' are classic, and by that I mean in the UK, names. They aren't these 'new trendy' names. Just because they aren't as dead boring as George, doesn't make them untraditional in the UK. Looking at my own family tree (1/4 English, 2/4 Irish and plenty of Scottish and Welsh throughout the tree) many of those names are well found. Perhaps maybe just not in your small pocket.

Mia as a first name is newer true, 1960's popular as an official name. But has been used as nickname for Maria/Amelia and so on for many centuries. Like Molly having been used for hundreds of years as a nickname for Mary, but later becoming popular as a given name itself.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don't think anything official was ever said about a due date. There was just an announcement that they were expecting a second child. The media speculated summer, since that would be the timing if they announced at 3 months.

Most of us thought Zara was more likely at least 4 1/2 to 5 months along, since she had a miscarriage a few weeks after announcing the last time.
no, I don't believe they gavea due date.... Probably because of the miscarriage last time, they didn't announce until a bit later in the pregnancy than usual....
Old 03-27-2018, 05:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Zara and Mike Tindall Expecting A Baby

We all guessed she was pregnant at Xmas before it was announced so I think she is further ahead
Old 03-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I really cannot wait !!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yet all your 'faddy names' are classic, and by that I mean in the UK, names. They aren't these 'new trendy' names. Just because they aren't as dead boring as George, doesn't make them untraditional in the UK. Looking at my own family tree (1/4 English, 2/4 Irish and plenty of Scottish and Welsh throughout the tree) many of those names are well found. Perhaps maybe just not in your small pocket.

Mia as a first name is newer true, 1960's popular as an official name. But has been used as nickname for Maria/Amelia and so on for many centuries. Like Molly having been used for hundreds of years as a nickname for Mary, but later becoming popular as a given name itself.
Our personal definitions of "classic" and "faddy" clearly differ.

What do you mean by my "small pocket"? I base my observations and opinions on official statistics and not, as you imply, on people I have personally encountered.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:31 AM
Courtier

So another guess - a healthy baby in June.
Girl: Philippa Rose or Rose Phillips
Boy: Philip Mark James
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Majesty

Charles suggested Zara as a name to his sister because of her unexpected arrival. I do think this part of the family does not feel they have to pick traditional names.

So I would not be surprised to see this baby be given a name with meaning for the family. Which could well be Philip for a boy. Or something else innovative.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Majesty

For a boy use Ralph as a middle name. Mike's great-great-grandfather is Ralph Ryder.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Zara and Mike Tindall Expecting A Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post

When my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother, she found out after missing one period in July, and then told my dad the night before their 19th wedding anniversary the third week of August but no one else until after her 16-week ultrasound and amnio in October (she had just turned 43 when she found out, hence the amnio). We went to our cottage the week Dad found out, and Mom cleverly hid it from my dadís parents by drinking water in a wine glass! When she did tell the rest of the family, my grandpa (somehow) knew the baby was a boy, even though my parents didnít find out until the big day. Mom went into labour 10 weeks and 4 days early due to a slow abruption, and ended up having a C-section the next afternoon. Matthew was born at 29w4d on January 20, 1996 weighing 1621 grams or 3 pounds 9 ounces; robust for a baby born at just shy of 30 weeks. He was home 2 1/2 weeks before his due date of April 3, and is today 22 years old, 6 foot 1, and completely unscathed from his early arrival and our momís age when he was born.

Closed Thread