Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall's Wedding: July 30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Andrew P-B date Princess Anne early on? Obviously they have remained close over the years. I see him in the background at so many of these events.

Yes he did date Anne and he has remained close to the royals ever since. He has also been Silver Stick in Waiting to the Queen.

Congratulations to Zara and Mike, they are a lovely couple:)

But I was so so disappointed by here dress, very boring and it didn`t fit here body at all.

CONGRATULATIONS to Zara and Mike. You planned your private wedding the way you liked it and looks like you enjoyed yourselves thoroughly. No crocodile tears shed but just bright sunshiny smiles.

White is clearly not reserved for the bride as for two british weddings this year we've seen the bridesmaids and flowergirls in white.

That´s true! I cannot think of a single royal wedding in Britain the bridesmaids didn´t wear white: Edward (later Edw. VII) marrying Alexandra of Denmark, George V and Mary of Teck, Princess Elizabeth marrying Philip Mountbatten (the bridesmaids looked almost like brides themselves, just without the veil), the wedding of Prcss Margaret in 1960, as far as I remember also at the weddings of the Duke of Kent and his sister Prcss Alexandra (not 100 % sure), at the famous 1981 wedding the bridesmaids wore (cream-) white.
Also Sweden: The wedding of the King and Queen in 1976.
I´m sure there are more - all weddings with "white" bridesmaids!

Catherine - bland as usual and the hat designed to be over the top and to guarantee that she gets more exposure than she should on this day (e.g. CNN have just done a 30 sec talk over a series of photos from the wedding - two images of Zara and Mike and then about 10 of Kate) - a smaller hat would have been more appropriate - I can't think of anything she has worn that says 'wow' - they are all bland but that suits her blandness and her husband as well

Uhuh :whistling:

Last edited:
I don´t like Zara's dress. It was quite boring and unflattering.

White is clearly not reserved for the bride as for two british weddings this year we've seen the bridesmaids and flowergirls in white.

Also, who are to determine if "once is enough"? Rather rude of you.

I agree; you can be a bridesmaid in a Royal wedding more than once in a year. I was quite shocked that Lady Louise wasn't even there as a guest, as she was a guest Peter and Autumn's wedding and she was much younger then. Before "the other Royal wedding" I would have thought it was perhaps because of the media coverage, but since then Edward and Sophie have openly let their delightful daughter be photographed, so I was hoping Louise would be have been at Canongate too. She may well have gone but went in beforehand, but I doubt she went. Disappointment from myself really, as I adore Louise's personality!

Not rude, because there are many other young girls in Zara and Mike's circle of relatives and friends, who would dream to fill this honour.
It's good that their chance has come.

Princess Anne dated Andrew Parker-Bowles when they were very young, and they've been best friends ever since. It was Anne who supported him when his wife died, and who makes sure he is included in many royal events.

Several people have remarked that Kate looked bland; I think this was a deliberate choice on her part, to avoid upstaging the bride. She would hardly have worn a five-year-old dress if she wished to attract attention.

I thought Zara looked beautiful. Everything was perfect for her dress tiara everything. Lady Sarah chatto was very elegant as was Sophia. Kate, when she came out, gave me flashbacks of Diana with her sly smile and outrageous hat. Granted she did wear something from five years ago but she knew that people were going to talk about it and she would be front page news. Even though I wish she either didn't attend or went around the back entrance she still took attention away from Zara. I was more excited about this wedding than Williams. Sorry for my rant but just my opinion. 

I would guess because he is one of Zara's godfathers and a lifelong friend of Princess Anne's. It would be for a similar reason that Mrs Jackie Stewart who is one of her godmothers was invited with her husbandm of course.

Announcement of the christening of Lady Louise Windsor

Zara Phillips (b. 15 May 1981) was christened Zara Anne Elizabeth on 27 July 1981 in the Private Chapel, Windsor Castle, by the Dean of Windsor, the Rt Rev. Michael Mann.

Her godparents were: her uncle the Duke of York; the Countess of Lichfield; Mrs Jackie Stewart; Colonel Andrew Parker- Bowles; and Mr Hugh Thomas.
:previous::flowers::flowers:
Thanks - I do remember now reading about Anne & Andrew years ago.

Personally I think it is a very good how Andrew & Camilla remain friends, they share children, grandchildren & Royal connections.

Princess Anne dated Andrew Parker-Bowles when they were very young, and they've been best friends ever since. It was Anne who supported him when his wife died, and who makes sure he is included in many royal events.
:previous:
Anne is a true friend indeed.

Several people have remarked that Kate looked bland; I think this was a deliberate choice on her part, to avoid upstaging the bride. She would hardly have worn a five-year-old dress if she wished to attract attention.
I agree, she looked like she wanted 'to go in CK quickly', wanting to show support but not take too much attention away from the lovely couple.

Yes he did date Anne and he has remained close to the royals ever since. He has also been Silver Stick in Waiting to the Queen.
Okay, at the risk of boring you with all my questions,
can you please tell me what the Silver Stick in waiting does?

I thought Zara looked beautiful. Everything was perfect for her dress tiara everything. Lady Sarah chatto was very elegant as was Sophia. Kate, when she came out, gave me flashbacks of Diana with her sly smile and outrageous hat. Granted she did wear something from five years ago but she knew that people were going to talk about it and she would be front page news. Even though I wish she either didn't attend or went around the back entrance she still took attention away from Zara. I was more excited about this wedding than Williams. Sorry for my rant but just my opinion. 

You do have an interesting look at things and that is me putting it nicely - what nonsense to blame Catherine...
What should she have done then? Wear a coloured dress, a dark dress? Appear without a hat or only with a fascinator?

Last edited:
First off I'm not blaming Catherine but she knows she Is the new flavor of the month in the BRF so all eyes will be on her. Even if she came in in sweat pants and ugg boots she would have still been talked about. My point was that Catherine could have just worn an old hat to go with her old outfit so as not to bring attention to herself. But again she would still have made the news.

Is this correct- I mean, if she filled out her name on a form, would she write Mrs. Michael Tindall? She might be Mrs. Michael Tindall for the purposes of invitations, etc., but her name would be Mrs. Zara Tindall, I believe.

If you're following the traditional conventions.....if you're married, and you're using your title (ie Mrs), then yes, you are Mrs Fred Bloggs (let's say). If you're just introducing yourself, or to use your example, filling in a form where only your first name and surname are required, then you would be Ethel Bloggs. The use of your husband's Christian name only applies when you are using Mrs, followed by the Surname.

If you are either divorced or widowed, you then become Mrs Ethel Bloggs.

As I understand it, when a woman marries, she does automatically acquire her new husband's surname. Some women choose not to use it, which presumably is what Zara is doing. This was certainly the case when I got married, as we did look into the legalities of the whole surname issue.

First off I'm not blaming Catherine but she knows she Is the new flavor of the month in the BRF so all eyes will be on her. Even if she came in in sweat pants and ugg boots she would have still been talked about. My point was that Catherine could have just worn an old hat to go with her old outfit so as not to bring attention to herself. But again she would still have made the news.

Indeed, so an old or new hat would not have made the difference.

If you're following the traditional conventions.....if you're married, and you're using your title (ie Mrs), then yes, you are Mrs Fred Bloggs (let's say). If you're just introducing yourself, or to use your example, filling in a form where only your first name and surname are required, then you would be Ethel Bloggs. The use of your husband's Christian name only applies when you are using Mrs, followed by the Surname.

If you are either divorced or widowed, you then become Mrs Ethel Bloggs.

As I understand it, when a woman marries, she does automatically acquire her new husband's surname. Some women choose not to use it, which presumably is what Zara is doing. This was certainly the case when I got married, as we did look into the legalities of the whole surname issue.

That explains it for me too, thanks!

I did indeed mean kilt. I was updating from my phone. OOPS!!

I'm almost disappointed! I was having an amazing vision of Charles arriving dressed in bedlinen...which would have gone well with his sister's bedjacket!

Actually, I think Anne's rather oddly shaped jacket would have looked ok if she'd balanced it with a proper Mother of the Bride HAT instead of that very small fascinator. She wore some nice hats at Royal Ascot this year, so why go all hat-phobic now, on her daughter's wedding day!?

Probably because the Royals don't want to look like royals - at an event where most of the guests are not Royals.

But for most Mothers of the Bride, their daughters' wedding is the day when they CAN look royal, whether they are or not. The MotB is usually the most splendidly dressed, second only to the bride - I know that's not Anne's style, but I find it hard to imagine she was consciously trying to downplay the 'royal' look - bit pointless if she was, with the rest of the family going overboard on mad millinery!
I just think that outfit would have worked a lot better with a proper hat - the jacket would have looked less overpowering.

But for most Mothers of the Bride, their daughters' wedding is the day when they CAN look royal, whether they are or not. The MotB is usually the most splendidly dressed, second only to the bride - I know that's not Anne's style, but I find it hard to imagine she was consciously trying to downplay the 'royal' look - bit pointless if she was, with the rest of the family going overboard on mad millinery!
I just think that outfit would have worked a lot better with a proper hat - the jacket would have looked less overpowering.

I definitely agree with everything you've said! It would also be nice if Anne started experimenting with a new hairstyle, but that might be too much change for her. :whistling:

Not rude, because there are many other young girls in Zara and Mike's circle of relatives and friends, who would dream to fill this honour.
It's good that their chance has come.

Rude to me.
The only other girls other than Louise, in the relative section, would be the two Taylor girls - who Zara clearly doesn't know very well as their mother wasn't even at the wedding. I was quite dissapointed that 'family' wasn't really represented in the bridal party.

I wish Anne would give it up and realize that prints just don't work for something like this. The closest you can get is a subtle brocade or patterned weave, I think. Her purple print outfit at the Cambridges' wedding in April was hideous, too.

Well I think its nice that Stephanie was a bridesmaid in both of her siblings weddings.

I must admit that I am perplexed by the suggestion that Catherine was "courting" attention, worn a different (cause wearing an outfit that is five years old is not low key enough) or she should have gone in the side door or not attended the wedding as if she wasn't a member of the family so not steal Zara's thunder. Trust me...if Catherine didn't show up or did the side door number....people would be talking about that...who does she think she is.....the weddings isn't about her, etc. Which goes to show once again, that some people can't win no matter what they do.

Zara was the star of the show not doubt about that. The US print press that talked about the wedding led off with Zara Phillips, Queen's Granddaughter Weds, it wasn't about Catherine.

I loved Zara's makeup and tiara...the dress was okay...I think the straps could have used a bit more fabric....but I liked the look she was going for. The veil was beautiful.

I didn't care for Anne's jacket, but I liked the skirt. I also thought everyone else looked lovely. A bit surprised not to see the Linley's and thought it was a shame that Lady Sarah Chatto's children weren't a part of the ceremony. It would be a fitting tradition....Anne was bridesmaid to Margaret.....Sarah was a bridesmaid to Anne....and Zara was a bridesmaid to Sarah. Oh well:whistling:

Last edited:
It seems Catherine just can't win; she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, as the saying goes.

A quick article about the history of the tiara worn by Zara.

----------------------------

Zara kept up the wedding tradition of having something borrowed by earing a spectacular diamond tiara that has been passed down through four generations of the Royal Family - and was last worn by her mother two months ago.
The bride's short silk veil was set off by the Meander tiara, once owned by Prince Philip's mother and loaned to Zara by Princess Anne, who wore it in May for a state banquet at Buckingham Palace to welcome President Obama and his wife Michele.

Back
Top Bottom