What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stellad said:
I'm very sure the same people who critise Mary for spending too much money on clothes will critise Mary if she is seen wearing the same outfit 2 or 3 times. Again, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. No matter what Mary does, there'll be people who will critise her because she is a commoner who met a Prince, he fell inlove with her and she with him and they actually got married.

Stellad
Actually you're wrong. Why would they do that? I certainly never have. why would she be criticed for wearing the same outfits? when has anyone ever done that? A lot of people, including me would be glad to see her waste a little less money of frivulous things she doesn't need! I for one would be furious if I had to finance someone living like that.
I thik the assumption that people would criticise her because "she is a commoner who met a Prince, he fell inlove with her and she with him and they actually got married" is also completley untrue. what evidence have you seen of that? people who have criticised Mary have damn good, and valid reasons too. And we don't criticse every other woman who is a commoner who became a Princess. In my opinion, every royal should marry a commoner. But ones who are suitable for the role of Princess.

Aussie Princess said:
Actually you're wrong. Why would they do that? I certainly never have. why would she be criticed for wearing the same outfits? when has anyone ever done that?

I agree with your points Aussie Princess. To some degree all the royals recycle their clothes, in some families more than others. Princess Anne for example is notorious for wearing suits or dresses or hats she originally wore in the seventies (good for her to have been able to maintain such a figure however!).

I would say that Mary is criticized the least for recyling her clothes when she does as if you read around here, she accessorizes the same outfit differently or mixes and matches her outfits so that she isn't carbon copying an outfit from head to toe from one occasion to the next. This is a quality that Mary is quite often praised for: Her innovative ability to repurpose items from her closet even if she is reusing them in some manner. She has worn her engagement ball dress (the one shoulder green one) on at least three occasions now, but I don't recall a single complaint about that.

And as Mary has a pretty nice wardrobe, who would complain about seeing a beautiful evening gown or a well-made suit again? :cool:

Personally, I don't see what's so refreshing about royal ladies recycling clothes. Sure it's nice to know that even royals recycle like we do but it's not a rare thing. Basically all of the royal ladies do it. There are recycling threads for almost if not all the Crown Princesses of Europe in the Royal Fashion section. I think Mary sets herself apart from recycling is that she doesn't copy the exact same outfit twice like Alexandria said. Many times she mix and matches skirts, coats, blouses, and accessories to obtain a new look even though she uses pieces over and over again. A lot of the other princesses usually wear an outfit the same way most of the time. I'm not saying one is bad or good, just different in terms of recycling. So this whole clothes thing with Mary has really reached a moot point IMO.

Last edited:
There isn't any great big deal about recycling outfits. Virtually every member of the modern monarchies do it.
Mary (or her stylist) is particularly skilled at it, breaking apart outfits so we are not aware that we have seen that skirt and that jacket before just not together.

The media like to make mention of this because:

1. It gives them copy and sounds so much better than here comes Mary/Victoria/Alexandra etc in an outfit we've seen six times already.

2. People want to be reminded that they have a modern monarchy that is aware that it can not spend like it's going out fashion.
The public want to see that the royals have a budget too even if it is a very big one.

3. Tabolid magazines sell clothes to women.
Expensive Clothes sell better if the reader is thinking "that skirt may cost $500 but you can wear it over and over just like she is".
Of coarse we don't have the same long list of public engagements that a Princess has and the skirt is likely to never see daylight more than once.

Sashabella said:
I feel badly for Mary re: the Nordic Imelda Marcos articles. When you are popular with the press to start, they will turn on your eventually.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to leave all your family and friends, give up your citizenship, learn a new language and do it all in the public eye knowing you have an iron clad pre-nup that isn't in your favour if it all doesn't work out.

Without being too blunt, people all over the world leave their families and friends to migrate to foreign lands to make a new life for themselves. Chinese, Spanish, Ukranians, Germans, Greeks, Italians etc.

People leave war striken countries for a better life without a cent in their pocket, no knowledge of the language of the new land their are adopting and some mothers and fathers have many children to support. No family and friends to support them and they still pull through. Mary made an effort to relocate and mind you she is mega rich. Therefore why do we always use is excuse that "..i don't know how she did it".

What on earth has she done that has not been done before? How can you possibly say it was such a huge deal? If people pose such simple questions then you really do not know what hard is!!! It is not easy to relocate but for Mary it was certainly not hard compared to billions of people who have done the very same thing for centuries and mind you they were not all Princesses and Princes.

Unforunatly the media and the public likes to martyrise Mary and other prosective Princesses.
The media and us the gullible public like to hear the fairytale romance.

The farytale needs sacrifice, hardship with true love fixing all for a life of "happy ever after" with no problems ever again.

Since no-one fits this mould you end up with two warring factions. (suporters v opponents)

Mary did move many thousand of miles away from Australia to a cold land where she couldn't speak the native language. Yes many have had to give up even more. With the modern telephone at least she could ward against loneliness.

As a migrant myself it certainly can be done but she would have been very homesick at times.

I think the hardest thing would have been to have the media spotlight on you the whole time while you are still trying to find your feet in a new country and work on building a relationship with the man you came to the country to be. Up until then they only saw each other in holiday situations.

Lexy said:
Without being too blunt, people all over the world leave their families and friends to migrate to foreign lands to make a new life for themselves. Chinese, Spanish, Ukranians, Germans, Greeks, Italians etc.

People leave war striken countries for a better life without a cent in their pocket, no knowledge of the language of the new land their are adopting and some mothers and fathers have many children to support. No family and friends to support them and they still pull through. Mary made an effort to relocate and mind you she is mega rich. Therefore why do we always use is excuse that "..i don't know how she did it".

What on earth has she done that has not been done before? How can you possibly say it was such a huge deal? If people pose such simple questions then you really do not know what hard is!!! It is not easy to relocate but for Mary it was certainly not hard compared to billions of people who have done the very same thing for centuries and mind you they were not all Princesses and Princes.

You make a very good point, Lexy. Many people leave their homelands for different countries sometimes with no knowledge of the new language and even no money. Granted, they didn't have an entire country or even the world watching their every move. Mary is very privileged in many ways but it comes with a price. She can't do things simply because she wants to. So even though Mary didn't so anything spectacular in that respect, I think she still deserves credit for being a wonderful Crown Princess to the Danes and dealing with the media exposure with composure.

soCal girl said:
You make a very good point, Lexy. Many people leave their homelands for different countries sometimes with no knowledge of the new language and even no money. Granted, they didn't have an entire country or even the world watching their every move. Mary is very privileged in many ways but it comes with a price. She can't do things simply because she wants to. So even though Mary didn't so anything spectacular in that respect, I think she still deserves credit for being a wonderful Crown Princess to the Danes and dealing with the media exposure with composure.

I understand your point however this is how I see it. There is a risk and return effect here. If you consider the media attention a high risk factor for Mary then her return has certainly doubled (or more) in the case of money, opportunity and fame.

For those who have relocated and have no risk factor media hounding their return is segnificantly lower.

I hope you understand my point of view. You give and take and somehow it has to balance out. You cannot always have both.

So Mary decided to have what she has millions do not have that decision to make and their lives are dictated to them. Frankly I do not feel sorry for Mary and the media attention because she chose it and she certaily is well taken care of.
:)

Lexy said:
I understand your point however this is how I see it. There is a risk and return effect here. If you consider the media attention a high risk factor for Mary then her return has certainly doubled (or more) in the case of money, opportunity and fame.

For those who have relocated and have no risk factor media hounding their return is segnificantly lower.

I hope you understand my point of view. You give and take and somehow it has to balance out. You cannot always have both.

So Mary decided to have what she has millions do not have that decision to make and their lives are dictated to them. Frankly I do not feel sorry for Mary and the media attention because she chose it and she certaily is well taken care of.
:)

I agree, I don't feel sorry for Mary. She is a very lucky woman in interesting circumstances. Maybe in a certain situation I might feel sorry for her if the press are chasing her down the street or whatever. She did willingly put herself in a situation where she knew it was going to be a give and take situation. I think she has done very well during her first two years as Crown Princess. I don't think anyone could have asked more from her from these two years.

Lexy said:
...Mary made an effort to relocate and mind you she is mega rich...

How is Mary mega rich? She gets 10% from Frederik's annual allowance which stands at 14,525,727 Danish Kroner (AUD = 3,244,596.31, USD = 2,436,113.32, GBP = 1,335,134.29, EUR = 1,946,967.32); which effectively gives her 1,452,572.7 Danish Kroner (AUD = 324,386.98, USD = 243,560.04, GBP = 133,539.60, EUR = 194,722.45) a year. I agree that she does get fair amount of money from the Danish government, but I wouldn't go as far as saying she's "mega rich". Mega rich to me would be someone like Bill Gates, or the guy who created IKEA, or Oprah, or a movie star who can command $25million+ per movie. $324,000 a year doesn't make someone mega rich, it just makes them rich, and there are lots of rich people in the world. And if you think about it, the money isn't really given to Mary, it is given to Frederik, who then passes some on to his wife.

*Stats on how much money Frederik receives come from the Official Danish Royal Family website, www.kongehuset.dk, and then I converted the amount through a currency converter, so the stats are correct when I did them at around 7:30pm, Tuesday July 18

Aussie Princess said:
I thik the assumption that people would criticise her because "she is a commoner who met a Prince, he fell inlove with her and she with him and they actually got married" is also completley untrue. what evidence have you seen of that? people who have criticised Mary have damn good, and valid reasons too. And we don't criticse every other woman who is a commoner who became a Princess. In my opinion, every royal should marry a commoner. But ones who are suitable for the role of Princess.

Actually the only Crown Princess that has escaped criticism has been Mathilde, an aristocrat, so I do think people hold the commoner princesses to a higher standard than they would an aristocratic-born princess. All the other Crown Princesses have critics on these boards. Whether you like them or not, they all have their critics and some critics of each princess are as vocal in their dislike of that princess as you are of Mary.

ysbel said:
Actually the only Crown Princess that has escaped criticism has been Mathilde, an aristocrat, so I do think people hold the commoner princesses to a higher standard than they would an aristocratic-born princess. All the other Crown Princesses have critics on these boards. Whether you like them or not, they all have their critics and some critics of each princess are as vocal in their dislike of that princess as you are of Mary.

Interesting theory...for me there´s though the eternal question...is Mathilde´s personality the reason for the lack of criticism or are it really her roots (???) Well, probably it´s both and the one thing has influenced the other. Her personality must though play a role...she is a little bit the type "dull kindergarten teacher" and gives always an very enlightened and pleased impression.
Mary, Letitia and Maxima on the other hand were more the type "very headstrong business women"...that this can cause a little bit antipathy is not so unusual. Maxima-thanks to her high voltage personality and a very tolerant country-though seems to get away quite lightly.
And that Mette Marit´s wild and little lazy past has the potential to cause antipathy is also not surprising.
So to sum it..the question will be always open, because there´s personality-wise no compareable crown princess...and because I don´t think, that Mathilde will change her personality...

I really like Princess Mary!I think she is very beautiful and I don't know her of course but I think she is a very nice person, to whom people can speak. I really like the way she handle with Ziggy, I love animals dogs and cats manly, and I have a theory all those who like animals are for sure good person!

Lena said:
Interesting theory...for me there´s though the eternal question...is Mathilde´s personality the reason for the lack of criticism or are it really her roots (???) Well, probably it´s both and the one thing has influenced the other. Her personality must though play a role...she is a little bit the type "dull kindergarten teacher" and gives always an very enlightened and pleased impression.
Mary, Letitia and Maxima on the other hand were more the type "very headstrong business women"...that this can cause a little bit antipathy is not so unusual. Maxima-thanks to her high voltage personality and a very tolerant country-though seems to get away quite lightly.
And that Mette Marit´s wild and little lazy past has the potential to cause antipathy is also not surprising.
So to sum it..the question will be always open, because there´s personality-wise no compareable crown princess...and because I don´t think, that Mathilde will change her personality...

Yeah, I think you have a point, Lena. Mathilde and Philippe don't have exciting public images and in fact the Belgian royal family seems rather low-key and conservative compared to other royal houses. The strategy seems to work for them.

I don't think dullness always translates to acceptance though. Currently Kate Middleton has one of the most bland public images of royal girlfriends and she gets her share of criticism. I thought at one time that Philippe and Mathilde were smart to hide their relationship until the engagement to cut off the endless speculation and sometimes criticism that comes with a public dating period before the engagement. However, Felipe and Letizia tried the same approach and it didn't work. So its an enigma.

I think you make a good point about Mary and Maxima being seen has 'headstrong' businesswomen and perhaps there's an assumption that they're social climbers that wouldn't be present if they were part of the aristocracy. I've always found this to be a bit misleading. Yes the aristocrats are born to privilege but they can and do social climb as well as anybody else. I have no doubts that Diana Spencer's family were brown nosing the Royal Family in a big way and were pushing their daughter to promote themselves. Diana's brother-in-law later got a job as the Queen's Private Secretary and her family definitely took advantage of their royal connections. Yet they all escaped the label of social climber when IMHO they epitomized the word.

However, when a middle-class woman dates or marries a prince, that's the first criticism that comes out.

mirrjam said:
Mary does not have freedom to travel wherever she wants to, and when she is traveling, she ofcourse is seeing beautiful things, but it will be all so formal and planned, she will not be able to just go out and walk in a strange city to really experience a new and different country. That is just not how it is.
And of course everything is being care off, she really does'nt have to clean the house, or wash her own clothes, she really does not have to watch the prices of clothes or jewelry before buying... Really nothing of this all.
And there are al lot of profits of nice and good things about being the princess... but the only thing I could envy her for.. is her really loving and really caring husband and a little boy who is adorable..!
And I am not kiddin; I LOVE clothes, shoes, jewellry etc. and I of course would love to have all the money to spend on myself, and have a cleaning lady, and a cook and a driver etc. But everyone here still knows, at least I am very well aware of it: This is not what makes you happy, this is not what you wish for in life...
ps:
What is with all the glamourous stuff, being famous or something, what is so fun about that, what is so fun of being always photographed?? Everyone in Danmark knows you and everyone watches you, everone has an opinion about you.. Is THAT glamour?

Again, we are all making assumptions here. Until we are living in their house, how are we to know that they do not cook their own dinner, or wash their own clothes. It is rather certain that Mary at least knows how to do these things as she likely had to do them before she became a princess.

So perhaps we can give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps with their busy lives, that most of us can not relate to, they do not have the time to do normal household chores, or maybe they do. We simply do not know.

I also think that Princess Letizia and PRINCESS MARY have so much publicity and also so many people asking for them and speaking of them because of their style, of their physical beauty, of their clothes!Their way of beeing in public and private events.

I was always under the impression that Diana's brother in law, Robert Fellowes worked for the Queen prior to Diana and Sarah dating Charles. As far as I can see...Diana's family has always had a relationship with the Windsor. The Queen being godmother to Charles, Diana's brother an example of one such relationship.

I think Mathilde's escapes constant criticism for a variety of reasons: her courtship was not as public, her lack of public personality (at least IMO), the nature of her nationality. As far as Mary is concerned, I think the Australian press has a lot to do with the saturation of Mary media. I mean, understandbly so, they were excited but in their desire to know EVERYTHING about Mary, I think they printed a lot of stuff that wasn't true or exaggerated some things that were a little true and as a result you have people who don't like her based upon a picture or an article.

I can't figure out the dislike of Letizia. That baffles me.

JessRulz said:
How is Mary mega rich? She gets 10% from Frederik's annual allowance which stands at 14,525,727 Danish Kroner (AUD = 3,244,596.31, USD = 2,436,113.32, GBP = 1,335,134.29, EUR = 1,946,967.32); which effectively gives her 1,452,572.7 Danish Kroner (AUD = 324,386.98, USD = 243,560.04, GBP = 133,539.60, EUR = 194,722.45) a year. I agree that she does get fair amount of money from the Danish government, but I wouldn't go as far as saying she's "mega rich". Mega rich to me would be someone like Bill Gates, or the guy who created IKEA, or Oprah, or a movie star who can command $25million+ per movie. $324,000 a year doesn't make someone mega rich, it just makes them rich, and there are lots of rich people in the world. And if you think about it, the money isn't really given to Mary, it is given to Frederik, who then passes some on to his wife.

Perhaps "mega rich" is an inflated term, but I do see the point being made that Mary has a lot more money now than she would've otherwise had. I highly doubt that she was earning $324,000 a year back in Australia as a real estate agent/marketer, etc. I doubt that any of the Crown Princesses in their commoner jobs were making this much money. How many of us make this much in our jobs? This is easily 10 times much more than I earn at my job.

I think that whether the money is given to Frederik or not and passed onto his Mary is besides the point. In some manner Mary receives this sum of money for the work she does in representing Denmark, whether it comes directly from the government or via the government to the Queen to Frederik to Mary.

Whenever I get my measly pay cheque I never think that it came from my head office in X city, to the pay roll clerk in my office, then down to me.

Zonk1189 said:
As far as Mary is concerned, I think the Australian press has a lot to do with the saturation of Mary media. I mean, understandbly so, they were excited but in their desire to know EVERYTHING about Mary, I think they printed a lot of stuff that wasn't true or exaggerated some things that were a little true and as a result you have people who don't like her based upon a picture or an article.

I agree totally on this point. I think Australians were very proud that their home-grown girl was going to become a future Queen of the oldest monarchy in the world. In my eyes they bombarded the public about Mary, and probably told us too much about her. They dug up everything and anything on her, including very small things and very private things about her life, exaggerated Mary's achievements and made her to be a true fairy tale story. Simultaneously, the Danish media was embracing Mary, too, and this led to a collusion of media bombardment in Denmark and in Australia, with one feeding the other. The Australian media would pick up the sugary stories about Mary published in the Danish media without verifying the facts, and stories escalated until Mary was a super princess.

This didn't seem to happen with someone like Maxima, who was Argentinian-born. The Argentinian media were very proud of Maxima of course and wrote many stories about how wonderful Maxima was and likely exaggerated her achievements, too. But Maxima didn't hold fort on the front covers of Argentinian magazines and tabloids for years the way Mary has. In the Netherlands the situation with Maxima's dad provided enough fodder for more neutral stories about Maxima -- the Dutch people may have liked Maxima a lot but they held back due to the actions of her dad in the past.

I think the Australian and Danish media put Mary on a pedestal that was too high and too unrealistic. There wasn't anything Mary could do about this happening of course, as it was all happening separate from her, but I do see the point about over saturation of a Mary media world.

Alexandria said:
Perhaps .......... media world.

Alexandria, you have explained the Mary fenomenon very well. I dont know what is worse when a commoner becomes a princess, being given an overqualified image or to have very few expectations even lots of undeserved critics.

Ive tried to read this thread many times and have been shocked again and again. And iam still shocked by its continuation.
I know it been said several times, but the critizisme of Mary Ive witnessed here does not present itself in Denmark.
She shops too much? Imelda Marcos? She's not doing enough work?
The money is not an issue...yes, the Danes "pay" for the royal family. But the state here also pays for hospitals, roads, public service, schools, churches and bums on the streets..the DRF are not the only people on the state payroll. So am i....
Mary does her job and does it well...no one here can know the extent of her involvement in her charities...But we must keep in mind that it is impossible to care for everyone all the time.
There are many commoners as CP's, but none of them are "common".

I can't speak for any other Aussie members but I wouldn't trust the Australian magazines. I'm sure they make up or over do most if not all of their content.

Alexandria said:
Perhaps "mega rich" is an inflated term, but I do see the point being made that Mary has a lot more money now than she would've otherwise had. I highly doubt that she was earning $324,000 a year back in Australia as a real estate agent/marketer, etc. I doubt that any of the Crown Princesses in their commoner jobs were making this much money. How many of us make this much in our jobs? This is easily 10 times much more than I earn at my job.

I think that whether the money is given to Frederik or not and passed onto his Mary is besides the point. In some manner Mary receives this sum of money for the work she does in representing Denmark, whether it comes directly from the government or via the government to the Queen to Frederik to Mary.

Whenever I get my measly pay cheque I never think that it came from my head office in X city, to the pay roll clerk in my office, then down to me.

I agree Alexandria that Mary does make a lot more money now then she did working back in Australia, I just think that using "mega rich" is a little exaggerated. Personally, I would just call her "rich". I would call all the Crown Princesses who receive money from their respective governments rich.
And now that I think about it, I see that it really doesn't matter who the money is given to originally, as it gets to whoever it needs to go to any way

lise said:
I can't speak for any other Aussie members but I wouldn't trust the Australian magazines. I'm sure they make up or over do most if not all of their content.

I agree lise. I wouldn't trust most of the rubbish the magazines here write, and I don't. Their stories are pretty much made up, and sometimes they cut and paste different parts of different interviews/articles to make something completely different, giving it a whole new meaning and turning something that might have originally been said by Fred or Mary, or any member of the DRF, as a good thing, into a bad thing. This is what happened to Rove McManus and his wife Belinda, last week's Women's Day had a cover story "Rove & Belinda: We Want Babies". The day after the issue was released, Rove said in the Herald Sun that he and Belinda had never given Women's Day an interview, especially not about them wanting children. He said that they just pieced their article together from different parts of archived interviews/articles obtained from other magazines/newspapers

Last edited:
This is my first post so I am pretty nervous. ANyway, I used to live in Copenhagen and knew nobody who had a bad word to say about Mary. The Danes speak very highly of their royal family including Mary.

I have found the vitriolic writings about Mary by some of the formum members to be quite baffeling. She's Prince Frederik's choice. It would have been more appropriate to cheer her on, not denigrate her. I think a lot of the vitirol is "dog in the manger" type envy. It has been quite interesting watching Mary mature and grow into her role as crown princess. And it's been sweet to watch the obvious affection she and Prince F have for one another. This is not to say the lady is without fault, because she is a fragile human like the rest of us.

Queen Katherine said:
This is my first post so I am pretty nervous. ANyway, I used to live in Copenhagen and knew nobody who had a bad word to say about Mary. The Danes speak very highly of their royal family including Mary.

It is great to have you posting on this board. All the danish posters that i remember have your same opinion about her, so that makes me think that she is really accepted in Denmark and people there dont have a bad perception of her.

Excellent to have you on the board QK. The Danish members of this board (the ones I can remember) say exactly what you say is the case in Denmark. I'm glad the Danes are happy with Mary and appreciate her.

Last edited:
miss j said:
I have found the vitriolic writings about Mary by some of the formum members to be quite baffeling. She's Prince Frederik's choice. It would have been more appropriate to cheer her on, not denigrate her. I think a lot of the vitirol is "dog in the manger" type envy. It has been quite interesting watching Mary mature and grow into her role as crown princess. And it's been sweet to watch the obvious affection she and Prince F have for one another. This is not to say the lady is without fault, because she is a fragile human like the rest of us.

I agree with you Miss J, I think a lot of people envy CP Mary as deep down we would all love to be a crown princess, I know I would. I think she is doing a fine job and I am proud to say that she is an Aussie.:)

ysbel said:

I'm really surprised to read this. Did I miss something? Critics on Princess Máxima? Are you sure? The only critics were about her father, Jorge Horacio Zorreguieta, who was a minister in the Argentinean government under the brutal military junta.

And I'm sorry: I have to fight that there never were critics on Princess Mathilde. If there ever was a low in the popularity of the Belgian crown princely couple, then it was this year! I need to say that it more had to do with the dumb, silly and wooden image of the Prince. (I don't say he is. I'm talking about his image). Princess Mathilde has got her own share of critics as well, for the poor performance in Dutch, the language of the 2/3 of her country's population.

This is not really fair: Princess Mathilde's Dutch language is acceptable but she, a a born and raised Belgian (which is a bi-lingual country) is compared with Princess Máxima, who has never spoken any word Dutch, lived at the other side of the world and managed it to surprise anyone with her Dutch.

And then for the 'gold diggers': miss Máxima Zorreguieta comes from a well to do family in the residential Recoleta area in Buenos Aires. Her family owns a hacienda in Pergamino, a house at the seaside in Punta del Este (Uruguay) and a house in the ski-resort San Carlos de Bariloche. They play polo, they have a manege, etc. Of course, it is nothing compared to the immense wealth of the Orange-Nassaus, but still....

We must not forget that outside a handful of countries in Europe, there is no nobility. Seen the standard of Máxima's family, with ministers, mayors, bankers, ship-owners, surgeons in her family tree, they were pretty 'notable' since a long time. In fact it was a typical rich family that had a lot to lose with the socialist 'experiments' and the chaos under Isabel Martínez Perón and it was no wonder they supported the Moviemento Nacional, the conservatives which backed the military junta. Something which is -with the eyes of 2006- a spot on Zorreguieta's banner. For many that is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom