What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jmj21983 said:
I respect yours as well:) I thought she was already introduced to the world by her wedding day.

and was also introduced to the world by the vogue shoot. I'm sure if there was something wrong with it then the Danish court would have not given their permission or go ahead to do it. A few photos isnt going to hurt. :)

Australian said:
and was also introduced to the world by the vogue shoot. I'm sure if there was something wrong with it then the Danish court would have not given their permission or go ahead to do it. A few photos isnt going to hurt. :)

I wonder,too, why people react at all to these pictures in a negative way. Maybe Prince Frederick and his mother were simply proud of the fact that this prince snatched a beauty with a nice character. Maybe they wanted to give Mary right at the beginning the chance to appear as an ambassador for Denmark - it wouldn't have done IMHO to simply present her as patron of charities or so, as she was not long enough in her position to really convince in that role, but anyone could see that this princess was made to be a supporter of Danish fashion. And Vogue is the right outlet for something like that. In my book it is an honour to be chosen as "cover-girl" for Vogue (wasn't Diana on Vogue, too?). Okay, nowadays, as the young mother of the heir and some years into the job, the princess is convincing in her public duties but back then Vogue was one of the few possibilities for the Danish court to show off their new treasure ;) . IMHO.

Vogued out

The Vogue shoot has been rehashed so many times in this thread it's getting ridiculous.

Those members who find themselves unable to get past this episode in the life of Crown Princess Mary may read all about the pros and cons in the previous fifty (yes, FIFTY) pages.

This will allow the rest of the members to read and discuss something interesting, and even original.

Thanks.

Warren
Danish Forums moderator

I've only got a few things more to say- I don't believe not being Danish makes my opinions null and void, just as it does not make your opinions null and void. therefore saying Mary makes a bad Princess is not a comment you can say doesn' count for anything just because someone is not Danish. I'm sure there are non-danes here who know about 10x more of the royal family than some Danish!and just because opinions are of a positive nature does not mean that they are anymore 'proven' or 'justified' No I can't prove she doesn't connect with a crowd because some will never believe it anyway. but certainly no one can prove she does. I've never seen it, and I do know what her work involves, and I'm still not impressed for how she never gave any real support to a worthy charity. She doesnt go out of her way to really go and experiance it and do something useful.
I've allready explained why I can't source the stories- and we all saw them show up and dissapear, so what's the point pretending they were never there? they weren't friends of Mary, no one ever claimed them to be, and it doesn't really matter if they had been crappy friends anyway. still doesn't mean the stories didn't appear. Personally, I also work with facts- ALL the facts, even the ones that were whitewashed, which I find suspicious in itself. The fact that things had to go through legal avenues(and we ALL saw the starmaker woman presenting her legal letters) to be hidden looks bad- if things had stayed out in the open they would seem more trustworthy.

Aussie Princess said:
and just because opinions are of a positive nature does not mean that they are anymore 'proven' or 'justified' No I can't prove she doesn't connect with a crowd because some will never believe it anyway.

True, nobody asks for proof when praise is being dished out. As far as I know, nobody on this forum is intimately acquainted with Mary, making everybody's opinion equally valid.

Last edited:
Aussie Princess...I guess I am confused. How can you say she has not give any real support to a worthwhile charity. My questions are this: what do you consider to be real support? Also, the following is a list of organizations that the Mary is associated with (via the royal website):

HRH The Crown Princess is the patron of the following:

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Danish Academy of Music
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association
The Danish Cultural Institute

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

Humanitarian Aid:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC)

Research and Science:
The Danish Youth Association of Science
Research Day

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation
Danish Association for Mental Health
Rare Disorders Denmark
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation
The Christmas Seal Foundation
The Danish Brain Injury Association
The Danish Heart Association
The Danish Kidney Association
The Danish Mental Health Fund
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union

Based upon this list, what do you consider NOT to be a worthy chairty. I am going to assume its the Fashion aspect, but what about the others? And how is she supposed to be do something useful, like volunteer for a soup kitchen, etc. Is that what you mean? How do you know she doesn't do that?

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
...Based upon this list, what do you consider NOT to be a worthy chairty. I am going to assume its the Fashion aspect, but what about the others? And how is she supposed to be do something useful, like volunteer for a soup kitchen, etc. Is that what you mean? How do you know she doesn't do that?

I don't understand it either Zonk1189. The thing about her fashion patronage has been so much debated. I really don't understand why some cannot comprehend that fashion in Denmark is a major export commodity. I don't hear any complaints about royals acting as patrons for Danish agriculture :confused: It's the same for crying out loud! Fashion is among Denmark's top 10 - if not top 5 - export commodities. Having royal patronage is the obvious thing to do.

Aussie princess: Exactly HOW does Mary do less for her charities than, say, Maxima in Holland or Victoria in Sweden? Do you know that she attends fewer meetings out of the media's eye with her patronages than say the other two mentioned princesses, do you know if she misses out on a lot of events where the media is present - or is it simply your own impression of how things are??

And also, fashion events are functions that will get more press than any other function. So it may seem like all she does is fashion events (which there is nothing wrong with, as UserDane says- Its a major commodity in Denmark.)

A heart foundation function, for example, will not get half as much coverage as a fashion one. Its just the way it is

Let's not do the comparison with other princesses, please?

Australian said:
And also, fashion events are functions that will get more press than any other function. So it may seem like all she does is fashion events (which there is nothing wrong with, as UserDane says- Its a major commodity in Denmark.)

A heart foundation function, for example, will not get half as much coverage as a fashion one. Its just the way it is
Plus the Copenhagen International fashion fair is only twice a year, a few days February and August. Mary does not do much in fasionevents in between.

Last edited:
theres such thing as overdressing u know and she (CP Mary) does it sometimes. It has been also said the it looks like she's the one to inherite the thrown, not Frederick, because she tends to overshadow him sometimes (i read it somewhere in this forum!)... besides how can you compare the styles of all the princesses when they are different!!!

well if that's the case, then maybe the danish royal court should tell Frederik to put on a tiara and change his dull suit to exchange it for one of Mary's gowns. hehe:D

No seriously, a woman will always upstage a man, isnt that right? Most people are interested in the woman arnt they? Just my opinion. I dont think she is upstaging him, the media are doing that.

Last edited:
future princess said:
theres such thing as overdressing u know and she (CP Mary) does it sometimes. It has been also said the it looks like she's the one to inherite the thrown, not Frederick, because she tends to overshadow him sometimes (i read it somewhere in this forum!)... besides how can you compare the styles of all the princesses when they are different!!!

Personally, I dont think she overdress, she looks fine as a princess she is, in some cases, she does not dress even like that, but as any young woman would have dressed, without being too pretencious.

I dont think she overshadows her husband, I think he doesn't like to be all the time doing public activities, so uses her to do what he would have to do. In any case, a woman gets more attention than men on the press, at least when you talk about royals or famous people. It is more Angelina than Brad people are interested and that is how it is.

Zonk1189 said:
...the following is a list of organizations that the Mary is associated with (via the royal website):
I can't speak for Aussie Princess, however imo Mary has some great organisations under her belt. Yet with the exception of a couple she really doesn't seem particularly involved with them.

I've never come across anything to suggest that she's taken additional interest or come up with her own initiatives or something similar. It comes across as a bit superficial. There just doesn't seem to be any one cause that she's particularly passionate about or overtly interested in.

It could just be that she's collected too many causes too quickly so it's difficult to spread the time around with each. However I doubt that as there's no news of her spending a particular amount of time with any one organisation.

Last edited by a moderator:
future princess said:
It has been also said the it looks like she's the one to inherite the thrown, not Frederick, because she tends to overshadow him sometimes
It's just the media ... she is a somewhat-intelligent woman who knows how to match an outfit and gaze appropriately at photographers, whereas he is the next figurehead of a democratic nation, but she's fun and gorgeous and that's what is most appreciated by our celebrity-hungry society :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Little_star said:
It could just be that she's collected too many causes too quickly so it's difficult to spread the time around with each. However I doubt that as there's no news of her spending a particular amount of time with any one organisation.
It has been said that there was a need for a reshuffling of the patronages held by the royal family after queen Ingrid's death. They had been shared by QMII, Benedikte and Henrik in particular as far as I remember, but all three are advancing in years and probably need to spread them out.
So Mary definitely got her share. I haven't heard anybody complain about her interest in her patronages. Her mental health related patronages seem extremely pleased with their royal patronage - they have definitely attracted much more media attention since Mary became a patron.

I haven't heard anybody say that Mary shows less interest in her patronages than the other royal members do about their patronages. This claim - once again - seems to me to be an internet invention.

The public figure of a princess is not something she builds on her own. The patronages that Mary has are probably the results of an evaluation of the royal house, they probably make a list of the patronages that she could handle, some of them probably based on her interests, but also on her figure as a future queen, they probably also considered that some patronages needed a jump and giving them to her it is probably the best way to attract the interest of the people as she is a new figure and her popularity is growing, as a young woman, she is probably a better voice for some patronages than Henrik. Another thing that I believe is that in the royal family, the role of the women is strong, maybe because the queen has an strong caracter and her husband had some problems leading with his role. I think men on this family are used to see the woman taking more and more responsability and probably they feel confortable with that. We can see how Alexandra took so much responsabilities and got a great reputation for her hard work, but that is because that family has a model that allows that to hapen and it can be good.

Little_star said:
I can't speak for Aussie Princess, however imo Mary has some great organisations under her belt. Yet with the exception of a couple she really doesn't seem particularly involved with them.

I've never come across anything to suggest that she's taken additional interest or come up with her own initiatives or something similar. It comes across as a bit superficial. There just doesn't seem to be any one cause that she's particularly passionate about or overtly interested in.

Not to pick on you Little_star even though I am using your quote :)

Wow. There just doesn't seem to be any one cause that she's particulary passionate about or overtly interested in. How do you know that? Because I believe, and I will search for the statement that she made about her mother's death and her committment to the Heart Association. I would say she is committed to that. And because she has various interests why would that make her not committed to any of them. She is not a scientist, looking for a particular cure :)

And now she has too many patronages?! If she just had five it would be stated that she is not serious about working for Denmark. Isn't it customary for royalty to have several patronages. She has about 10 to 15 within a two year mark..I wouldn't say that is too much. And again, as it has been mentioned by several members. I am sure she (as well as Alexandra, the Queen, Prince Frederick, Henrik, and Joachim) all support various causes that might not be glamourous. Therefore, its not publicized as much.
But again...either you like her or you don't.

I don't know why she is required to patronize these organizations but I hope she has some say in any further ones they force upon her because some of them are so depressing ... a woman with her appearance should be promoting the finer things in life.

I believe that one of the problem is that at the beginning we only/mostly saw Mary smiling quietly and innoncently at fashion shows and we forged our opinion then. We just started seeing her getting more involved with other charities and expressing opinions and sincere concerns.

UserDane said:
It has been said that there was a need for a reshuffling of the patronages held by the royal family after queen Ingrid's death. They had been shared by QMII, Benedikte and Henrik in particular as far as I remember, but all three are advancing in years and probably need to spread them out.
Thank you for the explanation, I had wondered in the past how the DRF acquired their patronages and that makes alot of sense.
Out of interest are the ever approached by charities?

UserDane said:
I haven't heard anybody say that Mary shows less interest in her patronages than the other royal members do about their patronages. This claim - once again - seems to me to be an internet invention.
I didn't make any refrences to any other Royals.
As for "this claim", it's not a claim, it's my opinion. From what I've seen and read she shows up at an event, smiles and leaves. I've not read anything about any interest that she takes in the organisations away from the official diary.

Zonk1189 said:
Wow. There just doesn't seem to be any one cause that she's particulary passionate about or overtly interested in. How do you know that?
I don't, it's an opinion I've formed from seeing pictures of her and reading about her. Just like everybody else on this board.

Zonk1189 said:
Because I believe, and I will search for the statement that she made about her mother's death and her committment to the Heart Association. I would say she is committed to that. And because she has various interests why would that make her not committed to any of them. She is not a scientist, looking for a particular cure :)
What I meant was that aside from what you see in the photos and in the newspapers I've not seen or heard anything to suggest that she get actively involved with her charities.
I'm sure the Heart Association is a cause she feels strongly about, becuase of the way it affected her, but I've not seen anything that would indicate she goes the extra mile. It seems she does the requisite event every now and again when required and that's it.

Zonk1189 said:
And now she has too many patronages?! If she just had five it would be stated that she is not serious about working for Denmark. Isn't it customary for royalty to have several patronages. She has about 10 to 15 within a two year mark..I wouldn't say that is too much.
I think it is possible for a Royal to have too many patronages. She's only just hit the 2 year mark and she has a list of organisations she is involved with, that's impressive to look at, but how many is she actively involved in? After all wouldn't it be better for her to be well-established and linked to a few worthy causes, as opposed to many.

Little_star said:
Thank you for the explanation, I had wondered in the past how the DRF acquired their patronages and that makes alot of sense.
Out of interest are the ever approached by charities?
I think they are; I'm sure I'v read somewhere about spokespersons telling that they sent inquiries to the court for a possible royal patronage, just cannot recall which one.

Many of their patronages are really old. I think the Danish girl scouts - which princess Benedikte is a patron for - once had the young crown princess Ingrid as their patron and that Benedikte then took over at some point.

Little_star said:
II think it is possible for a Royal to have too many patronages. She's only just hit the 2 year mark and she has a list of organisations she is involved with, that's impressive to look at, but how many is she actively involved in? After all wouldn't it be better for her to be well-established and linked to a few worthy causes, as opposed to many.

I suppose you could say that they can have too many; but it is IMO a bit of a balancing act. There are so many organisations who would like to have a royal patron and they still are only about 7 persons to cover all; perhaps there is a tacit understanding that you cannot be involved full-time in say 25 patronages, but if - by lending your royal name - you pave the way for an organisation in some way it may seem worth it after all. It is said that having a royal patron is suberb 'advertisement' for an organisation.

By that I do not imply that Mary is only a patron by name; her calender is full of patron events - one again tomorrow when she opens a new hospital facility at Elsinore for one of the mental health associations she's a patron for.

I cannot recall the mental health associations in DK getting so much media attention as they do now. And it is said that Mary requested to get these patronages herself.

PreDoc said:
Does she do anything for Danish industry?
Yes, she's patron for one of the most succesful branches of Danish industry - the fashion industry ;)

Also, today she handed over the prize to the winner of a design competition held by the Danish woodwork employers' association - http://www.di.dk/

future princess said:
It has been also said the it looks like she's the one to inherite the thrown, not Frederick

If that were possible, which it is not ;)

"MII"

Little_star said:
I've not read anything about any interest that she takes in the organisations away from the official diary.

Well, I dont believe HRH would have enough time to get them over for a BBQ ;) j/k

And now she doesn't do enough with the patronages outside of her official diary..oh dear, she can never win can she :confused:

"MII"

I think Mary seems to be mostly involved in mental health. Those are the events I most remember her for for some reason. Since she requested the mental health pantronages herself, I would think that it's close to her heart.

I think she has done more than she is able to do, if you count that she has just two y/o as a princess, that she had a baby and it is always busy doing what she is demanded to do. I think the only extra mile she can give now is to her baby boy and her family. It can be an option of the RH to let a member be part of many patronages and do the work it is needed instead of having few and do a lot for those single causes. I think for the kind of public figure she is, it is a better thing to let her do many different activities for covering as much as possible the issues that impact most of the society, instead that just being commited to a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom