What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo Scout for your analysis.

soCal girl said:
what did people think of the fashion shoots that went along with most of the interviews?

- Mary’s fashion shoots were pretty well received in Denmark. The gossip magazines made a big deal out of them, and some of them used titles such as "Mary as model" - but the tone was positive, "look how beautiful our princess is" - kind of stuff. The Interviews connected with the shoots were about fashion, and Mary’s involvement as patronage of the Danish fashion industry. I remember national TV interviewing people on the street asking them what they thought about the shoots. People would smile or laugh, and say they were beautiful - and everyone answered that it was quite ok for her to do this, and that it was good for the fashion industry.
A controversy did arise - but not about the fashion shoots. The editor of the most aggressive Danish gossip rag - "Se og Hør" - complained that the shoots and interviews had gone to "elitist" magazines like Vogue and "Dansk", instead of normal gossip magazines. This was debated in the press, where some "experts" concluded it was a wise choice, which helped maintain the purpose of the shoots as promoting the Danish fashion industry.

It is also worth noting, that the fashion shoots were quickly forgotten again in Denmark (quite unlike on this board), since new interesting Mary-subjects soon appeared (Is she pregnant, the trip to Australia, solo engagements etc. etc.). They left an impression of Mary as fashion interested and fashion supporting - but not as fashion mad or having model aspirations. Maybe the fact that Alexandra did a fashion shoot for the magazine "Costume" in connection with her 40th birthday (½ a year - 1 year before Mary’s?) made it easier. Alexandra being the first Danish princess in decades, she has pretty much been able to define the job in Denmark.

Scout....thank you for insighful posts about "life in Denmark." Its refreshing to see a Dane speak about his Royal Family.

While everyone on this forum is certainly entitled to their opinion and has the right to speak on each thread, I must admit, it is frustrating to read negative opinions (and unfounded rumours) about Mary, Letizia, and Mette-Marit, etc stated as if they were facts. Isn't it interesting that people keep throwing up the Vogue fashion shoot, the lack of engagements that Mary does when the Danes appear to be happy with their Crown Princess just the way she is? This is not to say that Scout speaks for all Danes but it is very interesting indeed.

scout said:
- Mary’s fashion shoots were pretty well received in Denmark. The gossip magazines made a big deal out of them, and some of them used titles such as "Mary as model" - but the tone was positive, "look how beautiful our princess is" - kind of stuff. The Interviews connected with the shoots were about fashion, and Mary’s involvement as patronage of the Danish fashion industry. I remember national TV interviewing people on the street asking them what they thought about the shoots. People would smile or laugh, and say they were beautiful - and everyone answered that it was quite ok for her to do this, and that it was good for the fashion industry.
A controversy did arise - but not about the fashion shoots. The editor of the most aggressive Danish gossip rag - "Se og Hør" - complained that the shoots and interviews had gone to "elitist" magazines like Vogue and "Dansk", instead of normal gossip magazines. This was debated in the press, where some "experts" concluded it was a wise choice, which helped maintain the purpose of the shoots as promoting the Danish fashion industry.

It is also worth noting, that the fashion shoots were quickly forgotten again in Denmark (quite unlike on this board), since new interesting Mary-subjects soon appeared (Is she pregnant, the trip to Australia, solo engagements etc. etc.). They left an impression of Mary as fashion interested and fashion supporting - but not as fashion mad or having model aspirations. Maybe the fact that Alexandra did a fashion shoot for the magazine "Costume" in connection with her 40th birthday (½ a year - 1 year before Mary’s?) made it easier. Alexandra being the first Danish princess in decades, she has pretty much been able to define the job in Denmark.

Excellent and insightful post!!! Pls keep up posting.......scout!!! :)

Amen

I've just bought the most recent New Idea magazine, with it's pullout "Souvenir Section", and I've decided that I am sick to death of Mary, or at the very least, I am sick to death of how she is portrayed in the media, and here are my reasons why.

1. She is NOT Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. Because she's not Royal OR Danish by birth. She is Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark. Big difference.

2. Beautiful/gorgeous/breathtaking. She's attractive yes, but I'd stop at pretty. I'll give her that, but I've seen a lot of women who were a lot more so. I think very often she looks like a deer caught in headlights, or a crazed woman ready to snap. And get rid of that stupid middle part in your hair. Speaking of hair, wear it pulled up and back more often or get a decent haircut, because you look sloppy when it's all just hanging shapelessly around your face.

3. Fashinable and elegant. Yes, and everyone else would be too, if they had fashion houses looking after them, not to mention a vastly larger wardrobe budget. Also, those super-ultra-mega pointed toe shoes you seem to be unable to do without make you look like you have kangaroo feet: one big giant clawed toe. Let's face it, in the pics of her pre-Fred, she wasn't too fashionable. More like down right daggy at times.

4. So intelligent and switched on. Well, she's obviously not a moron, but degrees and diplomas only point out what a good student she was. They do not necessarily equal a high IQ. Her father is a uni professor! She probably had very little say about her attending uni or not.
Yes, she has learned and manages a very difficult language, but so can anyone else if they have the desire, the practice, self discipline, and yes, the money to hire tutors and classes in that language. It's not a unique skill she alone possesses. I know a woman working for DIMIA who speaks 4 languages, fluently. Where is her magazine cover?

5. So clever and unconventional. Because she quieted her baby by sticking her pinky in his mouth??? Oh please, I don't even have kids and I did the same thing with my nephew at Kmart. Or was the unconventional part about her wearing 5kg of flowers on her head instead of the traditional hat? (Oh the rebellion! Will the monarchy weather this kind of hell raising behavior? I hold my breath in anticipation. Not.) Of course, the more I look at it, the more it grows on me, that floral head piece. I foresee a trend in religious ceremony attire.

6. So brave, yet so innocent. Give me a break already. She's an ambitious girl, who did her homework, played all the right cards, and is now reaping the benefits and drawbacks to marrying into the DRF. I refuse to believe that she had no idea who Fred was, or that he's a CP. I do believe that they are in love, but I just can't help but think that him being who he is didn't help it along juuuuuuust a little. I'd bet almost anything that she envisioned herself wearing a tiara and a ball gown waving at her adoring subjects, at least once in the earliest part of the relationship.

I've decided I'm not buying anymore magazines. They just take a situation or a person and either glorify them to the point of saint/martyr, or they blast the hell out of them for being like everybody else.
Mary is simply another human being in extrordinary circumstances, and is no more or less special than say, my sister, the girl behind the counter at the bakery, or any other woman walking down the street. The only difference is that she's got media attention. She has my sympathies.

Oh, I do think Princess Christian is ADORABLE, and favours Mary, thank God. I'd hate for him to have a lightbulb shaped head like his father appears to have. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics. I don't know.

There. I've said my piece, I feel much better. I've probably offended many a Fred and Mary fan, but that's the way I feel.

Lady_Diana said:
I've just bought the most recent New Idea magazine, with it's pullout "Souvenir Section", and I've decided that I am sick to death of Mary, or at the very least, I am sick to death of how she is portrayed in the media, and here are my reasons why.

1. She is NOT Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. Because she's not Royal OR Danish by birth. She is Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark. Big difference.

2. Beautiful/gorgeous/breathtaking. She's attractive yes, but I'd stop at pretty. I'll give her that, but I've seen a lot of women who were a lot more so. I think very often she looks like a deer caught in headlights, or a crazed woman ready to snap. And get rid of that stupid middle part in your hair. Speaking of hair, wear it pulled up and back more often or get a decent haircut, because you look sloppy when it's all just hanging shapelessly around your face.

3. Fashinable and elegant. Yes, and everyone else would be too, if they had fashion houses looking after them, not to mention a vastly larger wardrobe budget. Also, those super-ultra-mega pointed toe shoes you seem to be unable to do without make you look like you have kangaroo feet: one big giant clawed toe. Let's face it, in the pics of her pre-Fred, she wasn't too fashionable. More like down right daggy at times.

4. So intelligent and switched on. Well, she's obviously not a moron, but degrees and diplomas only point out what a good student she was. They do not necessarily equal a high IQ. Her father is a uni professor! She probably had very little say about her attending uni or not.
Yes, she has learned and manages a very difficult language, but so can anyone else if they have the desire, the practice, self discipline, and yes, the money to hire tutors and classes in that language. It's not a unique skill she alone possesses. I know a woman working for DIMIA who speaks 4 languages, fluently. Where is her magazine cover?

5. So clever and unconventional. Because she quieted her baby by sticking her pinky in his mouth??? Oh please, I don't even have kids and I did the same thing with my nephew at Kmart. Or was the unconventional part about her wearing 5kg of flowers on her head instead of the traditional hat? (Oh the rebellion! Will the monarchy weather this kind of hell raising behavior? I hold my breath in anticipation. Not.) Of course, the more I look at it, the more it grows on me, that floral head piece. I foresee a trend in religious ceremony attire.

6. So brave, yet so innocent. Give me a break already. She's an ambitious girl, who did her homework, played all the right cards, and is now reaping the benefits and drawbacks to marrying into the DRF. I refuse to believe that she had no idea who Fred was, or that he's a CP. I do believe that they are in love, but I just can't help but think that him being who he is didn't help it along juuuuuuust a little. I'd bet almost anything that she envisioned herself wearing a tiara and a ball gown waving at her adoring subjects, at least once in the earliest part of the relationship.

I've decided I'm not buying anymore magazines. They just take a situation or a person and either glorify them to the point of saint/martyr, or they blast the hell out of them for being like everybody else.
Mary is simply another human being in extrordinary circumstances, and is no more or less special than say, my sister, the girl behind the counter at the bakery, or any other woman walking down the street. The only difference is that she's got media attention. She has my sympathies.

Oh, I do think Princess Christian is ADORABLE, and favours Mary, thank God. I'd hate for him to have a lightbulb shaped head like his father appears to have. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics. I don't know.

There. I've said my piece, I feel much better. I've probably offended many a Fred and Mary fan, but that's the way I feel.

keep your postives dont be negatives because CP Mary is married woman and she is current as Crown Princess and many people love her very much because she popular i know you are very angry but let her respect because she is from Australia and live with Fred when she marry with him and she got baby let her respect as privacy.

but she is current Royals and i dont think she isnt royals but she have rights by her titles when she got married to CP Fred of Denmark i respect her and Fred love her very much to death okay? and he did love her very much and she love him each other and never leave but still together as married.

Lady_Diana said:
Also, those super-ultra-mega pointed toe shoes you seem to be unable to do without make you look like you have kangaroo feet: one big giant clawed toe. Let's face it, in the pics of her pre-Fred, she wasn't too fashionable. More like down right daggy at times.

I think that saying that she has kangaroo feet and a giant claw doesnt serve any purpose. That is a personal swipe at Mary based on her looks and i dont think its right.

Scout, thanks for some very good analyses.

Like you, I also remember Alexandra's entry on the Danish scene as almost entirely positive; she was an instant media darling. And her media coverage was massive! As I remember it more than Mary's even - probably because of the novelty of having a young princess again. That's why I find it so diffcult to understand very negative comments on Mary's media coverage in Denmark, the interviews she's given etc. I feel that I have seen it all before; and at that time it did not seem to present a major problem to anyone.

scout said:
About Alexandra’s reception compared to Mary's - I agree completely with fromEU. Alexandra was welcomed with open arms, and there was absolutely no controversy. Now, in Denmark we unfortunately have our share of racists, just like all other countries, so I'm sure there were some who didn't like the thought of a part-Chinese girl entering the royal house. Personally I met one such person, and all I can say is that her views on other issues were just as pathetically narrow-minded and sad. But the entire press, and seemingly most of the population, went into instant, almost scary, delight with her. I still remember a friend calling me, yelling at me to turn on the TV - and there I found a press conference about to start, presenting the engaged couple. As they came out the door to stand on the stairs, an older reporter manically began to yell "you're beautiful, you're beautiful" - now that is NOT normal behaviour! As fromEU writes, she arrived at a time when we had a serious princess-deficit, and everybody wanted to hear about her. A gossip magazine editor, interviewed in connection with the resent christening, told that although Mary means enormous sales today, it was the arrival of Alexandra that "revived the gossip-trade" in Denmark, bringing on a whole new era. The tradition of being positive about the royals in the press was even stronger then, so it really was all roses. It is true as Alexandria writes above, that quite a deal was made about someone partially of Asian descent marrying into the Danish royal family - but it was in an interested and positive fashion - at least everything in the Danish media. I have been quite surprised to see this - in my opinion myth - about initial racism being rather widespread on English speaking boards. My guess would be that the English speaking gossip press made it up in connection with the divorce - which turned out so depressingly scandal-free (from gossip-press perspective!) - or in connection with their rather desperate attempt to create a Mary - Alexandra rivalry. Maybe others can remember when they started to hear about this??
Alexandra’s popularity certainly continued to rise, but it started out very well indeed. People have often said that it would be really hard for whoever Frederik married to live up to this. I think they forget that the same things that prepared the way for Alexandra would be there for her, plus Frederiks greater popularity. All in all, though I personally think both Danish princesses are doing a really good job in Denmark, I have no doubt that the Danish press traditions, and the general relationship between the Danish population and the royal house, makes it somewhat easier to be a new princess in Denmark than in some other countries. At the same time however, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be a mistake to think there is no effort, planning or skill behind the aparently easy Danish royal life.

WOW.......another excellent and informative post!!! ..........scout!!! :)

I really enjoy your posts. Please keep up posting!!!

Amen

Last edited:
i also enjoy your posts very much scout. so, can we say that denmark really wanted princesses and that's why they both became so popular although being normal women?
what about the magazine factor? did alexandra, frederik or joachim give interviews to magazines anytime?
what i heard about alexandra was that thing you said about racism and all that. it's good to hear that she was well accepted.

carlota said:
i also enjoy your posts very much scout. so, can we say that denmark really wanted princesses and that's why they both became so popular although being normal women?
what about the magazine factor? did alexandra, frederik or joachim give interviews to magazines anytime?
what i heard about alexandra was that thing you said about racism and all that. it's good to hear that she was well accepted.

Alexandra has given interviews to magazines and she also made a photo shoot, like scout said, she did one in 2003 for Costume. The link to the cover is http://www.benjamin.dk/shop/index.php?cPath=24_30_42

Lady_Diana said:

Lady_Diana next time you are writing somthing about the royal family of Denmark PLEAS get your fact strait. Mary IS the CrownPrincess of Denmark and she is indeed royal. She became royal in the same moment she said "I do" to CrownPrince Frederik in the cathedral of Copenhagen the 24. of May 2004.
I don´t like that you are basshing my CrownPrincess because you don´t know her and i guess you have never talkt with her. As a Dane i am very proud to have Mary as a CrownPrincess of Denmark.

carlota said:
i don't think that one is the same as mary's example, it was a danish magazine and it was just three years ago, mary's was the same year of marrying.

The real fact is, I dont think neither Alexandra nor Mary did those interviews without the consent of their advisers, husbands, in other word the royal family. If someone did a mistakes it was probably them.

carlota said:

If I am not mistaken like Mary there were interviews by Ninka in 1996 within one year of marriage "Prinsesse Alexandra Portræt" and "Alexandra" 1998 by Trine Larsen .

Harmony said:
If I am not mistaken like Mary there were interviews by Ninka in 1996 within one year of marriage "Prinsesse Alexandra Portræt" and "Alexandra" 1998 by Trine Larsen .
You're right Harmony; there were various interviews with Alexandra, just couldn't remember exactly when or by whom. It has always surprised me that Mary gets so much criticism for doing what Alexandra has done as well. And I agree absolutely with the poster who said that none of them probably did it without the consent of the court / queen Margrethe.

On the boards as in real life, the tone of our words counts for more than the actual content. The purpose of these forums is to share with others an interest in royalty and these forums wouldn't be a comfortable place to hang around if we all vented or unloaded all the nasty thoughts off ouir chests just to feel better. We wouldn't do that at work, or with our friends, because its smart not to unnecessarily antagonize people so why do it here?

A lot of members including myself have complained about the overzelous press coverage of Mary.

As for Mary's title, her page on the Official Danish Monarchy site says:

On 14 May 2004, on the occasion of her marriage to His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, she became Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

:)
UserDane said:
Scout, thanks for some very good analyses.
Like you, I also remember Alexandra's entry on the Danish scene as almost entirely positive; she was an instant media darling. And her media coverage was massive! As I remember it more than Mary's even - probably because of the novelty of having a young princess again. That's why I find it so diffcult to understand very negative comments on Mary's media coverage in Denmark, the interviews she's given etc. I feel that I have seen it all before; and at that time it did not seem to present a major problem to anyone.

I agree, because with the press is all about who sells magazines the most. Then, what part or issue of their lives sells the most if placed on a cover. The magazine editors don't glorify or vilify a character unless that action can be safely placed on the cover and sell the magazine. If a positive news spin on a royal (or any politician or celebrity for that matter) works out then you see every one copying it.

Just go to any magazine store over the weekend and take a long and cold look at what is on the cover, who is on the cover, what story the editors exploit for the week. That will vaccinate anyone for sure on believing what you see on tabloids ;).And inside the magazine, on the article itself, you also have to consider the source. Too many unnamed or unreliable sources means as too few shots at the truth.

So, with Mary as well as any other celebrity, just go with your instincts. Remember the say 'a picture speaks volumes' ? When you think of all the pictures ever taken of Mary and imaginary assemble them as a film cells, you get the 'picture' of a lady who seems very nice, smiles a lot and enjoys to be around people. She, like Alexandra, is a public relations dream of a person, charismatic, intelligent and beautiful. And who does not like that in a country's representative? Ignore the tabloids and just enjoy the pictures. :)

Last edited:
Wow... this is getting heated.

Everybody take a deep breath and relax!

I don't think it would be inaccurate to say that not all 5,500,000 Danes have all met Mary and can personally vouch for her character. If the majority of the Danish people like her, then that is great, as she is their future Queen. I think people need to keep some perspective though. This is a Royalty fan site. It does not reflect the majority of the world population, whether in Denmark, or abroad. As such, people are going to share their opinions, and while I think that hearing opinions of the people who live in Denmark is wonderful, The fact is the majority of the people here know (and care) about royalty far more than the average person. Therefore, in my opinion, as long as people are respectful, and can present their arguments in an intelligent manner, then I think their opinions are valid.

I'll give Mary the benefit of the doubt. I know for a fact that I could not do as good a job as she is doing.

Regarding the whole Vogue thing. I never critiqued the Ninka interview; after all, The Danes wanted to know more about their future queen, so I think that interview is totally appropriate. Technically, I have no problem with the DR documentary. And yes, Alexandra has done interviews. However, they were all for Danish books and publications. Was she posing for Chinese and Hong Kong publications? If not, you can't compare the two. Also, Alexandra came over very well in her interviews- and those were done early on. I personally didn't care for Mary's interview style, as it often sounded insincere. Perhaps, as she has had time to settle in her role, she would be much better at it now.

Sorry for mispelling your name, Scout.

You know what I would love???

A day where the people who criticize Mary, Letizia, Mette Marit, Maxima, Alexandra, etc. for their fashion sense, how they interact with other people 24/7, their patronages, whether or not they love their husbands for themselves or their titles, constantly being in the public eye having to smile whether you were in a good mood or not....ONE DAY to switch places with them to see if they could do it. I would gather that a majority of us can't do it. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and can like or dislike anyone for any reason but it does seem awfully easy to sit in judgement on something and lifestyle most of us have NO CLUE on living.

And in refernce to the coverage that Mary (as well as the other Royal Families) get...well kiddies we only have ourselves to blame. Myself included. How many times do we see a post with the question...any news or pictures on so and so? We are constantly looking for news on our favorites and this only causes the newspapers to fulfill the needed. Hence the sometimes saturation of news on Mary, Maxima, Camilla, etc. You can't be mad at them cause the press does constant stories on them.

Last edited:
Also, Alexandra came over very well in her interviews- and those were done early on. I personally didn't care for Mary's interview style, as it often sounded insincere

Funny! How would you judge a person as insincere in an interview if you do not know her/him well? It is because that person does not speak as fluently as the other person ? :)

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
You know what I would love???

A day where the people who criticize Mary, Letizia, Mette Marit, Maxima, Alexandra, etc. for their fashion sense, how they interact with other people 24/7, their patronages, whether or not they love their husbands for themselves or their titles, constantly being in the public eye having to smile whether you were in a good mood or not....ONE DAY to switch places with them to see if they could do it. I would gather that a majority of us can't do it. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and can like or dislike anyone for any reason but it does seem awfully easy to sit in judgement on something and lifestyle most of us have NO CLUE on living.

Welcome to the human condition... hope you enjoy your stay..:D

Harmony said:
[Also, Alexandra came over very well in her interviews- and those were done early on. I personally didn't care for Mary's interview style, as it often sounded insincere/QUOTE]

Funny! How would you judge a person as insincere in an interview if you do not know her/him well?

Hello, Harmony.:)

Read my post carefully.

I said her interview style sounded insincere. (to me). I didn't say she was insincere. I don't know her personally, so I would never say that. Also, she was speaking in her mother tongue, if I remember correctly, so fluency should not be a problem, if that is what you meant. I think Alexandra simply had a more professional style. Remember, this is just my opninion- if you have a different one, then that is great. It doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Last edited:
Jamerican...mabe its early..but I am not sure what you mean?

Jamerican said:
Harmony said:
Hello, Harmony.:)

Read my post carefully.

I said her interview style sounded insincere. (to me). I didn't say she was insincere. I don't know her personally, so I would never say that.

Okay! What is the difference between her interview and Alex's? What style Alex has that gained your favour and what style Mary's has that you said it was insincere ? My first impression when I heard Alex's speak made me switch off the video link. Yes she sounded so professional and business-like like those in Wall street on everyday TV.

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
Jamerican...mabe its early..but I am not sure what you mean?

I guess you want to know what I mean by my response to your post.

What I mean is people judge public people according to the persona they present. Also, people are going to interpret the same behaviour differently. That's basically what I mean. Also, most people are going to say 'if it were me.. I would do this or that differently.' Please don't tell me you have never done this in your entire life. Everybody has. That is what I mean by the human condition.

These are people who will live their lives in the public arena. It is a given that most of us will never know what it is to be like to be Royal. In a way, Letitia, Mary, Mette-Marit et all are pioneers, as we have never had so many commoners entering royalty at any given time. As I assume most of us are commoners, and as royalty watchers, we have all wondered what it would be like to have your life transformed in such a manner overnight. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.. do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom