Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the 30 or so dresses are lovely in their own way. My favourites are Monique Lhuillier, Alberta Ferretti and Frida Giannini (it reminded me of Princess Marina's gown - very statuesque).
Karl Largerfelds idea seems to be a frilly version of Princess Anne's gown and Elizabeth Emanuell seems now to have designed two ideas since she did a different design in Hello! Magazine!!!

This one by Reem Acra is pretty. Just a little ruffle along the neckline and bottom of the skirt to add interest:

Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress: Designer Sketches! - Fashion News - StyleCaster

I like this one too. Very simple and elegant:

Designers Sketch Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton : Brides

This is my personal favorite from Badgley Mischka:

http://www.wwd.com/eyescoop/the-pri...ast/121510#/slideshow/article/3404449/3404451

That second one from Sassi Holford looks very much like something Kate would wear, judging from the style she has shown so far.

This one by Reem Acra is pretty. Just a little ruffle along the neckline and bottom of the skirt to add interest:

Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress: Designer Sketches! - Fashion News - StyleCaster

I like this one too. Very simple and elegant:

Designers Sketch Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton : Brides

This is my personal favorite from Badgley Mischka:

http://www.wwd.com/eyescoop/the-pri...ast/121510#/slideshow/article/3404449/3404451

That Reem Acra one is my favorite one of the bunch.

All those sketches show one thing . . . . . if she wore any of them as she is walking up the aisle the commentator would be saying "and she's wearing a Vera Wang, yada, yada, yada", not "she looks absolutely stunning". The designer would be walking up the aisle and while having your very own pet designer a la Hollywood is good for Show Business it is also a walking advertisement for said designer.

We are having a Royal Wedding and the Bride needs to be the center of attention, not the designer! Kate needs a gown to die for, something that says "Here comes the Bride", and a royal one at that.

As a point of interest, I watched a video of Mette Marit's wedding and discovered the gown was truley fabulous. The neck slightly higher and covering the shoulders than Mary's but, the gown, wow what a gown. Standing straight it looked vaguely A line and not an "upside down cupcake with sprinkles" but when she walked up the aisle and during the wedding dance, what a fabulous feminine but not fussy affect. Now that I could see Kate wearing.

All those sketches show one thing . . . . . if she wore any of them as she is walking up the aisle the commentator would be saying "and she's wearing a Vera Wang, yada, yada, yada", not "she looks absolutely stunning". The designer would be walking up the aisle and while having your very own pet designer a la Hollywood is good for Show Business it is also a walking advertisement for said designer.

We are having a Royal Wedding and the Bride needs to be the center of attention, not the designer! Kate needs a gown to die for, something that says "Here comes the Bride", and a royal one at that.

As a point of interest, I watched a video of Mette Marit's wedding and discovered the gown was truley fabulous. The neck slightly higher and covering the shoulders than Mary's but, the gown, wow what a gown. Standing straight it looked vaguely A line and not an "upside down cupcake with sprinkles" but when she walked up the aisle and during the wedding dance, what a fabulous feminine but not fussy affect. Now that I could see Kate wearing.

No, please not a dress like Mette-Marit's - to me it was way too simple. I can't see her wearing that.

I do agree with your opinion about the dress designer and the bride.

Well, I wasn't under the impression that those designers were even under consideration, just that they were giving visions of what they'd like to see her in. More about tossing around ideas than saying "I think she should wear Vera Wang, etc."

Well, I wasn't under the impression that those designers were even under consideration, just that they were giving visions of what they'd like to see her in. More about tossing around ideas than saying "I think she should wear Vera Wang, etc."

I like the discussions because I am not familiar with the designers, so I don't really care "who" designs it, but the links people are posting show the designs, which are fun since I am not good at visualizing.

I must admit I find it hard to visualise a dress from the majority of those drawings, they are most peculiar.

I must admit I find it hard to visualise a dress from the majority of those drawings, they are most peculiar.
My thoughts exactly, but they are "peculiar" by very famous "designers". For Kate I would like to see a classic "couturier" content to create the perfect confection to suit his client and bask in the acclaim after the wedding.

No, please not a dress like Mette-Marit's - to me it was way too simple. I can't see her wearing that.
That is exactly what I thought as I had only seen stills of the wedding so, with this wedding coming up I decided to check out you tube and saw this fabulous tribute video that made me look at her dress in a whole new way. The flow, the movement, there was just so much more than I had thought going on with that dress.

I don't seem to be able to post the link so . . . if you type in mette marit wedding dress the first entry is:

Crown Princess Mette-Marit. Click on and enjoy!

Last edited:
I enjoyed that very much, Marg. Thanks for posting it. I thought Mette-Marit's dress was just lovely. Simple and classy, and shown off beautifully in the video.

The article then points out that the Reagan's were invited to Andrew's wedding and that wasn't a state occasion either.
I don't believe it. I say they will be invited. I also noticed this:

And the Archbishop of York compared the wedding to that of a commoner ‘married this afternoon in some small country church’

yeah right!

is it really true that american president and his wife are not invited to the royal wedding?

is it really true that american president and his wife are not invited to the royal wedding?

Who knows?

From what I understand the final guest list hasn't been established and invites are scheduled to go out until January 2011.

I think the wedding is not a state occasion,as William is only second in line to the throne.Probably President Obama couldn't go from economical and security reasons,as example such a trip could be considered by many as unnenecessary luxury.
Michelle Obama may not want to travel without her husband.

I don't believe it. I say they will be invited. I also noticed this:

And the Archbishop of York compared the wedding to that of a commoner ‘married this afternoon in some small country church’

yeah right!

They aren't required to invite every head of state or country since this is not a formal "state" wedding. They are keeping a cap on the number of guests invited to keep the costs down. Just because the Regans were invited to Andrews wedding doesn't mean that William and Kate are obligated to invite the Obama's.

Quite possibly. The Obamas are hardly close personal friends of the BRF.

That is exactly what I thought as I had only seen stills of the wedding so, with this wedding coming up I decided to check out you tube and saw this fabulous tribute video that made me look at her dress in a whole new way. The flow, the movement, there was just so much more than I had thought going on with that dress.

I don't seem to be able to post the link so . . . if you type in mette marit wedding dress the first entry is:

Well, I saw the wedding on tv and I was very disappointed by the dress. I thought and still think it was way too simple for a bride marrying an heir to the throne. It is just not my kind of dress and I did watch your link (thanks for the reference) but my opinion remains the same.

From a woman marrying the heir to the heir of the British Throne I expect something grand, and not something like this.

I hear you Skippy. I am still hoping for the marzipan cupcake with sprinkles :lol:

after looking at all those links to designer sketches, I still say she would look great in a dress that flares from the hips or slightly below. It is all the rage now and no royal bride has ever worn anything like it. Apparently some of the designers think so too.

*copys then paste* I think its sweet of Harry to say that. I'm adding this article to the others I'm saving for the Kate and William Scrapbook I'm makeing lol. XD

I love this style dress I hope she wears one like it
http://fashionbride.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/mette-marit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom