The Prince of Wales and the Earthshot Prize

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Prince of Wales today, September 19, at the second Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit and meeting the President of Ecuador Lasso Mendoza at the Consul General Official Residence at United Nations:

** rex gallery 1 ** rex gallery 2 **

** gettyimages gallery: NY: The Second Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit **

** gettyimages gallery: NY: The Prince Of Wales Meets With President Of Ecuador At United Nations General Assembly **

With Andy Warhol's well known image of the late queen. :D

William had a very clear mission for this trip to NYC: be seen as a serious statesmen. I do have to say that this tweet from Kensington Palace is a bit ridiculous. For two reason. One: William wasn’t at the UN, didn’t speak there, isn’t listed as a participant or attendee. He’s in NYC. Two: the President of a country and UN Secretary-General aren’t exactly his colleagues. They have very real serious jobs. William’s situation is a tad different.

Monaco Royal Fan, respectively disagree. I dont know if William was trying to be a "Serious Statesman". I didn't find the statement released by Kensington Palace to be "ridiculous" at all.

Prince William, The future King, is using his undeniable global reach, pull and popularity to spotlight safeguarding and protecting the resources ( clean water, air) of Earth. He was certainly being serious and credible though. And from Media reporting here in The States, has been VERY well received and regarded.

I and many others, find William's passion in undertaking this as his signature Platform inspiring. As is his father King Charles, and grandfather Prince Philip's LIFETIME commitment to defend and preserve Earth's Environment through "Green Initiatives" and sustainability programs.

LONG before it became remotely popular too I might add.

I'm ALSO not sure what you mean either by saying that " They have very REAL serious jobs, William's situation is a tad different ".

Last edited:
Monaco Royal Fan, respectively disagree. I dont know if William was trying to be a "Serious Statesman". I didn't find the statement released Kensington Palace by "ridiculous" at all.

Prince William, The future King, is using his undeniable global reach, pull and popularity to spotlight safeguarding and protecting the resources ( clean water, air) of Earth. He was certainly being serious and credible though. And from Media reporting here in The States, has been VERY well received and regarded.

I and many others, find William's passion in undertaking this as his signature Platform inspiring. As is his father King Charles, and grandfather Prince Philip's LIFETIME commitment to defend and preserve Earth's Environment through "Green Initiatives" and sustainability programs.

LONG before it became remotely popular too I might add.

I'm ALSO not sure what you mean either by saying that " They have very REAL serious jobs, William's situation is a tad different ".

His aides briefed the Times, very well reported. They are the ones who used the word statesmen. Very well reported that that was a big priority of this trip. “This really is the evolution of Prince William as the global statesman,” an aide said.

Then having serious jobs and Williams situation being different, I meant that one is the President of a country. The other is the Secretary General of the United Nations. William is an heir to the throne that he won’t see for many many years from now. In the context of this trip, he is no different than a well known person who has impact using it to help a good cause. That’s quite different from being a president and literally running a country.

I’ll tell you this, I’d find it very insulting if he were to call President Biden (my president) his colleague. They are not.

Last edited:
I guess we will have to disagree on our differing interpretations of this Monaco Fan.
I'm American too.

His aides briefed the Times, very well reported. They are the ones who used the word statesmen. Very well reported that that was a big priority of this trip. “This really is the evolution of Prince William as the global statesman,” an aide said.

Then having serious jobs and Williams situation being different, I meant that one is the President of a country. The other is the Secretary General of the United Nations. William is an heir to the throne that he won’t see for many many years from now. In the context of this trip, he is no different than a well known person who has impact using it to help a good cause. That’s quite different from being a president and literally running a country.

I’ll tell you this, I’d find it very insulting if he were to call President Biden (my president) his colleague. They are not.

Out of curiosity, did you feel the same way when Charles was Prince of Wales? Many did, and that’s why there was often criticism of him for working on his causes, but I can’t imagine he would be particularly respected if he’d waited around his whole life and acted unassuming until the moment he became the head of state.

William is the next head of state for the U.K. and that does separate him from a celebrity or wealthy philanthropist’s role. Using the term “colleagues” to describe different groups working towards a shared goal is, I think, very reasonable.

Out of curiosity, did you feel the same way when Charles was Prince of Wales? Many did, and that’s why there was often criticism of him for working on his causes, but I can’t imagine he would be particularly respected if he’d waited around his whole life and acted unassuming until the moment he became the head of state.

William is the next head of state for the U.K. and that does separate him from a celebrity or wealthy philanthropist’s role. Using the term “colleagues” to describe different groups working towards a shared goal is, I think, very reasonable.

I imagine I would have felt the same way about Charles when he had only been prince of wales for 12 months, but I'm far too young to have had experienced that. I'm 32 years old, by the time I had any notice of Charles he had been prince of wales for decades already.

And I guess that's part of it as well. By the time I gave him a notice, Charles WAS actually a statesman.

William is 12 months into being prince of wales. New kid on the block and he isn't even in the driver seat yet. The heir to a throne that is ceremonial and a rubber stamp basically (albeit certainly a constitutionally important role) is not the same as an ACTUAL head of state who also is his country's head of government.

I dont imagine for a second that any of the newer monarchs (Willem-Alexander, Felipe, Albert II) viewed themselves equally to Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

At the same time, I guess I understand your point here: "Using the term “colleagues” to describe different groups working towards a shared goal is, I think, very reasonable."

Last edited:

William is not a Head of State yet but he is in line to become one and whilst mainly ceremonial in many ways it is not a nothing job. There are plenty of presidents who's role is largely a variation on a constitutional monarch whilst the Head of Government has the bulk of power as well. And countries where it is impossible to be elected unless you are a very specific type of person.

As for presidents being insulted, maybe some are but look at events like the G7 where every single one of them flocked around HLM, for photos and a chat. Even from strongly republican focused countries. I don't know about Biden but it is extremely clear that the Obamas got on very well with HLM and respected her enormously, more so than some of our PMs. Not comparing the two of them directly but elected officials often seem very happy to meet senior royals with their projects.

PPOW is an actual job that has a serious job description. Charles told us exactly what that was in his accession speech which is exactly what both are doing. Yes it's inherited and comes with serious perks but William clearly does know what he's talking about, just as Sophie does when attending high level international meetings about FGM, child marriage and rape as a deliberate weapon in war.

For me it looks like a standard "non state visit" "working" royal tour with the bulk of things being focused on Earthshot and then a few other events thrown in for good measure. If it were a BRF member turning up at the UN for no explicit purpose because they happened to be in NYC then I would question what was going on but this has clearly stated aims related to an official international project which he did the same thing for this time last year.

I do get what you're saying about William's situation being different than most, it is, but many important and powerful people have been taking Earthshot seriously enough to put their names to it since it started and he and Kate have been proving themselves in the realm of "soft diplomacy" which is incredibly important, since 2018 and his trip to Israel, Palestine and Jordan IMHO. Yes, there have been gaffes and less successful tours but IMHO this is more of the same and not a new attempt to prove himself.

Not directly related to what I was saying but I've always appreciated that Earthshot is not just an awards show. It's an ongoing commitment to the finalists in terms of networking with/for them and getting them the publicity all of them need to upscale rather than the fairly small £1 million which for many projects won't touch the sides. That and it's positive and always focused on what we can do vs doom and gloom.

I imagine I would have felt the same way about Charles when he had only been prince of wales for 12 months, but I'm far too young to have had experienced that. I'm 32 years old, by the time I had any notice of Charles he had been prince of wales for decades already.

And I guess that's part of it as well. By the time I gave him a notice, Charles WAS actually a statesman.

William is 12 months into being prince of wales. New kid on the block and he isn't even in the driver seat yet. The heir to a throne that is ceremonial and a rubber stamp basically (albeit certainly a constitutionally important role) is not the same as an ACTUAL head of state who also is his country's head of government.

I dont imagine for a second that any of the newer monarchs (Willem-Alexander, Felipe, Albert II) viewed themselves equally to Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

At the same time, I guess I understand your point here: "Using the term “colleagues” to describe different groups working towards a shared goal is, I think, very reasonable."

As you say William is only 12 months into his role, Charles had 50 years to prepare, I very much doubt that William has that long. He needs to get out there and start to make his mark . He has been working in the background for the duchy for some time before his grandmother died.

William had a very clear mission for this trip to NYC: be seen as a serious statesmen. I do have to say that this tweet from Kensington Palace is a bit ridiculous. For two reason. One: William wasn’t at the UN, didn’t speak there, isn’t listed as a participant or attendee. He’s in NYC. Two: the President of a country and UN Secretary-General aren’t exactly his colleagues. They have very real serious jobs. William’s situation is a tad different.

The notion that William doesn't have a "real serious job" is a bit ludicrous given that he is the possible future head of state of 15 countries.

And King Willem Alexander, King Felipe VI, or King Albert II were "equal" to Queen Elizabeth II in international law just as any monarch who is a head of state is equal to the president of any republic. It doesn't matter if the king has executive powers or not. Many presidents do not have executive powers either (e.g. in parliamentary republics such as Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, etc.).

William is not quite "equal" to a president yet, because of course he is not a head of state yet, but I have no doubt that his job is "really serious".

Last edited:
The notion that William doesn't have a "real serious job" is a bit ludicrous given that he is the possible future head of state of 14 countries.

And King Willem Alexander, King Felipe VI, or King Albert II were "equal" to Queen Elizabeth II in international law just as any monarch who is a head of state is equal to the president of any republic. It doesn't matter if the king has executive powers or not. Many presidents do not have executive powers either (e.g. in parliamentary republics such as Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, etc.).

William is not quite "equal" to a president yet, because of course he is not a head of state yet, but I have no doubt that his job is "really serious".

What is this serious job William has? I know he will be King. But he isn’t currently. I’m not saying he isn’t doing things and good things, but it isn’t a serious job.

What is this serious job William has? I know he will be King. But he isn’t currently. I’m not saying he isn’t doing things and good things, but it isn’t a serious job.

Well the New Yorkers appear to have made him very welcome, they are obviously happy enough with his title being prince,

Do you appreciate how the monarchy works, we saw it when the Queen died, Charles became King straight away, they need to be ready to step in. As I said in an earlier post Charles had 50 years to prepare, William does not have that amount of time. He needs to step up a gear to be ready, he is also responsible for the Duchy of Cornwall I think that is a serious enough role, considering the land, the employees, and the value. That is a major responsibility, If you could define what you see as a serious job, we could maybe compare thoughts.

Last edited:
As Mbruno said, there are a few models of organizing the power in a state. A lot of them divide the power into representative, executive and legislative. The US combine the representative with the executive, hence no prime minister. Fractioning the power has advantages and disadvantages. The only other well known country that comes to my mind where the president has great power is France, the French prime minister is less than the president in terms of decision making. Most other EU countries, be them monarchies or republics, have a representative head of state and a strong PM who comes in function from general parlmentary elections. I hope I am not (too) mistaken.

Wow, MonacoRoyalFan,

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but to dismiss William as a lightweight, "unserious", inconsequential, place holder, is for me just to dismissive, actually kind of insulting, for me anyway.

Prince William is a very strong, committed and self assured future King and Head of State. He has grown into his role, with grace,
gravitas, and strong convictions, supported by a stable and loving Wife, The Princess of Wales. Certainly, no one would ever think of William as weak or easily led.

He is a passionate Advocate for a cause he believes in, Earthshot. To protect and mitigate the damaging effects of man made pollution and destruction of resources.

His wise and loving Grandmother, QEll wanted him to have the flexibility, as then Second in Line to the Throne, in the early years of his marriage, then in his early 30 's, to forge his own path forward. Spend time balancing Work and Family, something She was NEVER able to do. As King George Vl died when she was only 25. A certain regret of hers.

It would have certainly caused problems, IF William and Catherine had taken on more prominent and public roles when Charles was still only Prince of Wales too. Williams undeniable popularity and charisma would have unfortunately overshadowed Charles.

In retrospect, all parties handled wonderfully.

So, William chose to work behind the scenes as a Air Ambulance Pilot, with little fanfare. He has spoken about that, AND did so again yesterday, in NYC with Firefighters, about the emotional toll that First Responders face in dealing with tragic accidents. Which neatly coincided with yet a
ANOTHER project close to him. Mental Health.

He spoke about those challenges at a Fire House close to the September 11 attacks that lost Men, and their experiences in the aftermath of how they dealt with it.

I honestly don't know what you expect him to do or act ???

Last edited:
Wow, MonacoRoyalFan,

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but to dismiss William as a lightweight "unserious" inconsequential place holder, is for me just to dismissive, actually kind of insulting, for me anyway.

Prince William is a very strong, committed and self assured future King and Head of State. He has grown into his role, with grace,
gravitas, and strong convictions, supported by a stable and loving Wife, The Princess of Wales. Certainly, no one would ever think of William as weak or easily led.

He is a passionate Advocate for a cause he believes in, Earthshot. To protect and mitigate the damaging effects of man made pollution and destruction of resources.

His wise and loving Grandmother, QEll wanted him to have the flexibility, as then Second in Line to the Throne in the early years of his marriage, in his early 30 's, to forge his own path forward. Spend time balancing Work and Family, something She was NEVER able to do. As King George Vl died when she was only 25. A certain regret of hers.

It would have certainly caused problems, IF William and Catherine had taken on more prominent and public roles when Charles was still only Prince of Wales too. Williams undeniable popularity and charisma would have unfortunately overshadowed Charles.

In retrospect, all parties handled wonderfully.

So, Williams chose to work behind the scenes as a Air Ambulance Pilot, with little fanfare. He has spoken about that, AND did so again yesterday, in NYC with Firefighters, about the emotional toll that First Responders face in dealing with tragic accidents. Which neatly coincided with another project close to him. Mental Health. He spoke about those challenges at a Fire House close to the September 11 attacks that lost Men, and their experiences in the aftermath of how they dealt with it.

I honestly don't know what you expect him to do or act ???

All this is great. Just not comparable to what the President of Ecuador or UN Sec General does.

All this is great. Just not comparable to what the President of Ecuador or UN Sec General does.

Why is it necessary to compare, they fulfil different roles, William appears to be looking for cooperation from other nations, and to do that he needs to meet up with different people.

I am not sure what the problem is, nobody here is saying they are equal. It would appear you want to emphasis that they are not equal.

If William doesn't gain gravitas from promoting his dedicated causes and meeting political leaders who may have much more involved jobs but far less publicity, then he will never be taken seriously.

You seem to want him to go slowly and "know his place", but Charles didn't have much support from anyone setting up The Prince's Trust (or Poundbury or even Dumfries House) and had to do it largely on his own initiative, exactly the sort of "who does he think is, he's no one" attitude you're accusing William of now.

William could be king tomorrow or next month. As others have said, it's important he be ready and acting like one.

As others have already mentioned there are lots of heads of state in the world who have a similar constitutional status to the British monarch. Such heads of state are very common in parliamentary republics of which there are many . The President of India (the world’s largest democracy) is one such largely ceremonial head of state as are the German & Italian presidents. Rubber stamps or not they are very much the equal of any executive president.

In terms of international diplomatic protocol an heir apparent/presumptive would be classified in the same way as the vice president of a republic.

And yet, when William was in Boston for last year's Earthshot Prize, President Biden went out of his way to adjust his scheduled visit to Boston to include a meeting with William. Even when he was visiting the U.S. as the Duke of Cambridge, President Obama invited him to the White House for a sit down in the Oval Office. Even though he's not yet a head of state, American presidents have acknowledged his status as a future king and an important representative of the United Kingdom.

Moving on to the substance of his trip, I only intended to watch a part of the Earthshot Summit, but I ended up watching the entire thing because I found it so interesting, I especially loved hearing from the previous winners about the impact winning the Earthshot Prize has had on their businesses and their effots to scale their projects. Over the past year, I've started following several of the winners on social media because I've been so fascinated by their work. I'm an especially big fan of Notpla, and I'm so hopeful that it's continuing expansion will makes its way to the United States. It would be amazing to see their packaging and containers used here.

After William's visit to the Billion Oyster Project, they mentioned on their instagram that the power of a royal visit is so much more than photo ops and how William's visit put their project on the global map. And that's so true. They got mentions on the morning and nightly news shows and I went from never having heard of BOP to being deeply interested in their work. Depite all the challenges we face with climate change, learning about all these different organizations that are doing such innovative work to address these challenges has really given me hope and optimism that things can get better. William has said that was one of his goals in starting Earthshot and mission accomplished, at least with me, LOL.

Videos from Day 2 in Singapore.

Dragon boat race

Meeting the President and Prime Minister of Singapore.

The United for Wildlife summit was held today in Singapore.

https://www.interpol.int/en/News-an...ne-of-the-world-s-largest-criminal-activities

SINGAPORE – Environmental and wildlife crime has become one of the world’s largest and most profitable crime sectors and continues to grow as it pushes many species to the brink of extinction, warned INTERPOL at the United for Wildlife Summit.
With the black market for illegal wildlife products worth up to USD 20 billion per year, poaching and the illegal wildlife trade has become a major area of activity for organized crime groups and is increasingly linked with armed violence, corruption and other forms of organized crime.
Poaching and the trade in illegal wildlife is not just damaging the environment and killing at-risk species, but is costing the life of wildlife enforcement officers, with up to 100 rangers killed by poachers annually while protecting wildlife in their natural habitats.
This context underpins today’s agreement at the United for Wildlife Summit between The Royal Foundation and INTERPOL on future joint efforts to protect endangered species from illegal wildlife trafficking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom