The Prince of Wales and the Earthshot Prize

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a video from the Earthshot Prize Awards Ceremony this evening

Congratulations to the Republic of Costa Rica ?? .

The next Earthshot Awards is being held in the US next year. I assume the Cambridges will follow the rules about not flying in especially for the awards to keep things sustainable. Now that probably points to them appearing via a Zoom link or filming segments as William and others did last night.

But more intriguingly for royal watchers do we think this might point to a US/Canada Tour for them next year with them fitting the awards in at the end?

Black and White beauty!!!! Just amazing pictures!!!

These are fabulous photos of them!

And now.... for something completely different. One thing I always look forward to is picking up various skits from Spitting Image (BritBoxTV) when they appear on my Facebook feed. I'm getting >< close to wanting to subscribe to that channel. Anyways, this is a skit meant to satirize William and Catherine, David Attenborough and William Shatner concerning the recent Earthshot prize.

Today, November 2, the Duke of Cambridge attended a meeting hosted by Michael Bloomberg at the Science Centre in Glasgow "between Earthshot Prize winners and finalists and industry leaders from the Earthshot Global Alliance who can help their ideas into practice":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gtresnews gallery **

Last edited:
Today, November 2, the Duke of Cambridge attended a meeting hosted by Michael Bloomberg at the Science Centre in Glasgow "between Earthshot Prize winners and finalists and industry leaders from the Earthshot Global Alliance who can help their ideas into practice":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gtresnews gallery **

Prince William: “To our @EarthshotPrize Prize Finalists and Winners – thank you for believing that we can face the vast challenges in front of us today, and for doing your utmost to overcome them. We will not just cheer you on, but we will actively support you to succeed”

I think it's a really good idea to have the winners and finalists at COP to meet and network with the investors, government staffers and politicians who they will need to make these projects reality.

That's potentially worth much, much more than the prize money.

It is a great idea as it will also help give the prize winners networking contacts to help drive their initiatives forward.

I hope the Duke has learned his lesson about being critical of public figures- namely very rich ones. Earlier, William was critical of Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk for promoting their space projects.
Yet surprisingly William met with Jeff Bezos and discussed the Earthshot prizes and funding. Quite hypocritical. Another instance of "money talks".

It is a great idea as it will also help give the prize winners networking contacts to help drive their initiatives forward.

I hope the Duke has learned his lesson about being critical of public figures- namely very rich ones. Earlier, William was critical of Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk for promoting their space projects.
Yet surprisingly William met with Jeff Bezos and discussed the Earthshot prizes and funding. Quite hypocritical. Another instance of "money talks".

I respectfully disagree that he was "critical of Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk for promoting their space projects." IMO William just believes that the priority should be focused upon earth at this point in time. However that doesn't mean that there can't be a partnership between Earthshot and these potential investors. If the investors didn't wish to be in Glasgow, they could have easily decided to decline the invitation.

Here's the text from his interview.

Prince William : (02:33)
Absolutely. So the original genesis of this is to try to capture the ingenuity and the problem solving and the ambition of the Moonshot. And so based on JFK’s idea to get a man on the moon all those years ago and all the technology and all the advancements that came out of trying to get a man on the moon, like solar panels, CAT scanners, all that sort of stuff, we are trying to galvanize and push solutions forwards.
Prince William : (03:01)
And I think for me particularly, the idea the space race is on at the moment, we’ve seen everyone trying to get space tourism going. It’s the idea that we need some of the world’s greatest brains and minds fixed on trying to repair this planet, not trying to find the next place to go and live. And I think that ultimately is what sold it for me, is that that really is quite crucial. We need to be focusing on this one rather than giving up and heading out into space to try and think of solutions for the future.
Adam: (03:27)
Having said that, though, would you like to be a space tourist one day?
Prince William : (03:30)
Do you know what? I have absolutely no interest in going that high. I’m a pilot, but I’m helicopter pilot, so I stay reasonably close to the ground. I’ve been up to 65,000 feet once in a plane, and that was truly terrifying and that’s high enough.

I respectfully disagree that he was "critical of Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk for promoting their space projects." IMO William just believes that the priority should be focused upon earth at this point in time. However that doesn't mean that there can't be a partnership between Earthshot and these potential investors. If the investors didn't wish to be in Glasgow, they could have easily decided to decline the invitation.

I think you're right, TLLK. William was stating that there should be more focus here on Earth and that he, himself, has no interest in going into space. It would have been quite foolish of William to be critical of Bezos, Musk or even Branson because, as I've mentioned upthread, all three "men of space" *also* have their own incentives and schemes such as Earthshot is. They were in the "save the earth" game before William's Earthshot happened. ?

Bezos and Lauren Sanchez were members of the Earthshot Council via the Bezos Earth Fund long before William made his mild comment about space tourism.

The Earthshot Prize won a BAFTA TV award las night, the Duke of Cambridge sent a message afterwards:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
@KensingtonRoyal
· 8h
I am so proud of the whole team behind The @EarthshotPrize London 2021 for taking home a BAFTA tonight!

It’s a joy to work with you all and this accolade sets the bar high for inspirational, sustainable live events right around the world. We can’t wait for USA 2022! W

William's voice has such a low and formal tone. Sounds very good.

The Prince of Wales virtually talked to the Earthshot Prize 2022 winners today, December 9:

** twitter post **

A pleasure chatting to our @EarthshotPrize
2022 winners this morning! Can’t wait to see what the future holds for these brilliant solutions and the wonderful teams behind them.

? @KheytiFarmers

? @MukuruStoves

? @notpla

? @4401earth

? @QldWomenRangers"

The Prince of Wales, President, the Earthshot Prize, today held a Meeting with Earthshot prize winners.

- Court Circular || 9 December 2022

Upcoming Earthshot engagement scheduled for Thursday January 26, 2023.

New Engagement
Thursday, Jan 26th

Prince William will meet 2022 Earthshot Prize Finalists at the @EarthshotPrize
Fellowship Retreat at Cumberland Lodge in Windsor
gertsroyals.blogspot.com

The Easrthshot awards for 2023 will be in Singapore in November.

https://twitter.com/EarthshotPrize

Expect the Prince and Princess of Wales to travel to Singapore for the awards.

The Prince of Wales as President of the Earthshot Prize paid a visit to Earthshot Prize winner and sustainable packaging start-up Notpla in London today, May 23:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
The Earthshot Award IG account has posted several stories highlighting William's visit and the work Notpla does, and I'm amazed by how innovative the Notpla products are. It's really fantastic to hear the various Earthshot winners talk about the impact the award has had on their ability to scale up their businesses. Even after only two years, William has accomplished so much with this project. It's really inspiring.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...nce-william-un-general-assembly-b2413303.html

The Prince of Wales will hold talks with UN secretary general António Guterres during his whistle-stop visit to the United States to celebrate the 2023 Earthshot Prize finalists.
William will meet Mr Guterres during the UN General Assembly in New York on Monday, as the city holds its annual climate week event – a gathering of business leaders, politicians and civil society aimed at driving the transition to a sustainable future.

The future king is making a two-day visit to the Big Apple to promote his Earthshot Prize, an ambitious environmental award, now in its third year.

Before meeting the global statesman, the prince will visit the Billion Oyster Project to learn more about the initiative which aims to restore oyster reefs to New York Harbour with the help of school children and volunteers.
On Tuesday, he will attend the Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit where the 2023 finalists will be named and their projects showcased.

Back
Top Bottom