The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Current Events 2: January 2006-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd that the headline calls it a "forgotten war" and the article refutes that appellation!
From a comment on the article:

"The most heroic battle of modern military history Battle of the Imjin River, read about it please. Gloucestershire regiment held at bay 10thousand Chinese soldiers for over 24 hours allowing the US army to retreat, saving them from decimation.
The Gloucestershire regiment was honored by both the US Senate, and the Korean Government receiving honors, and the hill they defended to this day called Gloucester Hill."

In the UK this is the forgotten war. A few people commenting doesnot reflect the overall national ignorance.

It is never mentioned and sits alongside the WW2 campaign in the Far East. VJ day is never mentioned either and what our troops went thru, along with allies and local resistance was appalling. We should be ashamed.

I have the greatest respect for the Duke of Gloucester but William should have done this, IMO as he laid the foundation stone with the President of S Korea on her state visit.

Illuminating, thank you cepe: I guess we here are a little closer to the sphere of action and influence of those events.

Today, March 18, The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, Asthma UK, will attend a Reception at Guy's Hospital, London

Duke of Gloucester visits Lichfield school | Staff Newsletter
PUPILS and staff at Longdon Hall School in Lichfield have received a royal visit from HRH The Duke of Gloucester.

Prince Richard met pupils and visited the new science lab, fitness suite and music and arts classrooms.

The school also unveiled a commemorative plaque of the visit and presented The Duke of Gloucester with a drawing of the building, made by students.

The Duke of Gloucester at the arrival at Leicester Cathedral of the coffin containing the remains of King Richard III for a Service of Compline and at a service at Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre in Leicester, on March 22:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:
Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 16m 16 minutes ago
On 26 April The Duke of Gloucester will attend 70th anniversary commemoration of the liberation of the Bergen Belsen concentration camp.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 17m 17 minutes ago
Bergen-Belsen is near Hanover in NW Germany, located between the villages of Bergen and Belsen. It is here Anne Frank and her sister died.

:previous:

Together with German President Joachim Gauck the Duke of Gloucester today, April 26, attended a ceremony to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp at the former camp site near Lohheide, Germany.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

My thoughts immediately went to Anne Frank. The whole holocaust was terrible, every life was special, none more so than others, and no one deserved to die. But somehow knowing Anne was there- brings it home- more personable- not relatable though- that's going too far as I can't imagine the holocaust, and won't pretend I'll know what it was like to be a victim or to survive, because I don't , and am thankful I don't have to. But I know it happened.
My thoughts go to Otto Frank who forgave the Nazis . And Anne's half sister Eva. I saw her on TV the other day talking about Auschwitz and Bergen- Belsen. How that woman is sane, and happy, I'll never know.

The Duchess of Gloucester looked amazing.

Last edited:

On May 21 the Duchess of Gloucester as Patron of the HMS Ardent Association attended the rededication ceremony of the Anchor of the HMS Ardent at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas.

** Pic ** hmsardent.org.uk **

Wow, Duchess of Gloucester reminds me a lot the actress Helen Mirren.

From July 17 - July 19 the Duchess of Gloucester as Honorary President of the Lawn Tennis Association attended the Great Britain vs France Davis Cup Tie in London. Here's a pic of July 19:

** Pic **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom