The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Perhaps not. But the rest of the post which you removed this one sentence from, certainly was. Jacqui is lucky, most of us read the whole context of a statement :whistling:

Yeinie, fantastic job on the list. She definitely recycled more then some will ever give credit for.

Ugh, there are new pictures of Harry and Meghan leaving a wellness store in Kensington. I don't really know if I should post the pictures since it seems that they weren't interested in having their pics taken.

However, it was a very casual look for Meghan.
A $30.00 shirt featuring Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles (Can you say 80's teenage girl screen crush swoon)
Maternity jeans, white trainers and one of Harry's green jackets.

http://www.meghansmirror.com/street-...ary-in-london/

We comment on their fashion whenever in public, don't see why this would be any different ?

She looks cute and casual. I love the graphic tee and her husband's coat :flowers:

Definitely might be a royal on the job, but still some old flair in her.

At this stage of pregnancy, the only thing that matters is that one can actually wear the item and be comfortable enough in it to move. Hubby's larger clothing becomes very appealing and one wonders if they've put their shoes on the right feet and that they actually match as its been forever since one has seen their feet.

Fashion and being touted as ready for the catwalk is the last thing on the mind. Comfort is. :D

I love the casual couple look of the Sussexes on their excursion to the holistic apothecary. I also really loved the wide-sleeved black swing coat the Duchess wore to pay respects to NZ mosoque shooting victims at New Zealand House in London. That unexpected outing has turned out to be Meghan's final public appearance before giving birth.

A previously unreleased video from early 2017 shows more of Meghan's Myna Mahila charity visit to India. Meghan is seen wearing a colorful green, aqua, and gold sari ensemble. She looked quite lovely:

https://cheesecake.articleassets.me...f3a0-61b4-11e9-9d46-55b8fa495b94_800_420.jpeg

http://www.nripulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/MeghanMarkle-sari.jpg

http://www.meghansmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Meghan-Markle-Sari-India.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/17/18/12398634-6933117-image-a-54_1555521656939.jpg

The below had initially been the only picture released after Meghan's trip. It had accompanied her essay in Time about the work of Myna Mahila. She was wearing a white shirt-like tunic over skinny jeans:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0e/f3/e8/0ef3e804017e7c3122b9f13363f6d574.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article by Carolyn Durand of Elle, discussing how Meghan has been influenced by Diana PoW, and by Jackie Kennedy. The feature details the ways these past legends' style and humanity have affected Meghan, particularly in regard to her royal wardrobe:

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebr...le-princess-diana-jackie-kennedy-comparisons/ pictures included

I love the side-by-side juxtaposition of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and Meghan (both wearing white shirts with sleeves cuffed, and long elegant black skirts).

And the mention at the end of the article is the first I've heard that Meghan is impressed by Jennifer Aniston's clean, timeless aesthetic. I have heard about Meghan's love for the stylishness of Audrey Hepburn, and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article by Carolyn Durand of Elle, discussing how Meghan has been influenced by Diana PoW, and by Jackie Kennedy. The feature details the ways these past legends' style and humanity have affected Meghan, particularly in regard to her royal wardrobe:

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebr...le-princess-diana-jackie-kennedy-comparisons/ pictures included

I love the side-by-side juxtaposition of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and Meghan (both wearing white shirts with sleeves cuffed, and long elegant black skirts).

And the mention at the end of the article is the first I've heard that Meghan is impressed by Jennifer Aniston's clean, timeless aesthetic. I have heard about Meghan's love for the stylishness of Audrey Hepburn, and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I am sorry but this article is such a stretch.....but so are all the 'inspired by or copying' articles.

She wore a white dress on tour like Jackie and Diana (nothing remotely similar in style) shocker :whistling:

They both wore double breasted coats while pregnant. Or green coats.

Oh shock, they both wore little black dresses. Almost unthinkable :lol:

Black skirt and white button down top is nothing shocking fashion wise.

The Jennifer Aniston comment is a 'source'. Probably someone 'oh that looks like something Meghan may have worn'.

What I really like about Meghan's dress sense is the return to retro styles. As time has progressed, I think fashion had lost some of the softness and femininity enhanced by styles of the past.

I hope it does start a revival of hunting down beautiful styles in vintage shops such as William Vintage. It makes me glad that I've hung onto some of my mother's clothing from the 60s and 70s that just seemed too nice to dispose of.

Definitely a fan of swing coats. ?

I hope it does start a revival of hunting down beautiful styles in vintage shops such as William Vintage. It makes me glad that I've hung onto some of my mother's clothing from the 60s and 70s that just seemed too nice to dispose of.

Definitely a fan of swing coats. ?
As a lover of statement coats, Meghan and I have had many wonderful moments, but NOTHING does it for me more than the Bristol coat. I absolutely loved its simplicity and timelessness with the unique collar. That is absolutely love.

Second favorite is the NZ House coat.

Both of which came from William Vintage.

I would imagine that William Vintage has seen quite an uptick in its customer base since Meghan started wearing clothing from there.

This is recycling at its very best and its a British shop. I love it.

I love Meghan's look here. The dress is fabulous and suits her down to the ground. Oscar de la Renta makes great clothes.

:previous:

The below links provide nice full views of what the dress looks like. The Mad About Meghan blog also shows close-up detail of the embroidered fruit and leaves, in addition to views of variations of this Oscar de la Renta design. This is such a gorgeous dress:

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/pro...9VYpA&LSoid=651472&LSlinkid=15&LScreativeid=1

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/ Scroll down for the dress detail

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...de-la-renta-dress/ar-BB1dUGPw?ocid=uxbndlbing

One of the things about having the money to purchase beautifully designed, well-made clothing is that it makes the wearer feel like a million dollars! Wearing lovely clothes that fit well in finely made fabrics is a luxurious perk. Happy sigh...

And I mean it's not an exclusive domain of only the very wealthy. If you know how to sew and how to purchase fine fabrics, it's not too difficult to make lovely clothes of your own. My aunt did for most of her life. She was 95 when she passed away in 2018. She sewed most of her own clothes throughout her life, until the latter years of her life when she slowed down physically. But she remained mentally sharp, and she continued to dress well and groom herself beautifully.

Last edited:
Even if your not wealthy. As most would tell you, investing in a handful of quality pieces that you can interchange and get a lot of use from, is better then a closet full of cheaper clothes.

Separates and pieces easily convertable for uses with accessories and such, of higher quality are always a good investment.

I quite like the dress. It looks wonderful on her and I like the print :flowers:

Indeed, that's very true. Michelle Obama is a great model example of the high and low concept of dressing, complemented by purchasing well made basics in fine fabrics, and accessorizing with less expensive items.

There's a story in a biography of Michelle Obama in which she had saved babysitting money to purchase an expensive designer handbag. When her mother asked why she would spend so much money on a handbag, Michelle replied, "Because it's well-made and I will have it forever, without having to replace cheaper handbags every few years."

Also to your point, there is so much information online today and on social media sites regarding dressing well on a budget, and compiling a basic wardrobe with items that can easily mix and match with other separates and accessories. It does take having a good eye for fashion and understanding your body and how to dress yourself to enhance your best physical attributes.

Here is Meghan's wardrobe advice, including 'five essential pieces everyone should have in their closet':

Last edited:
I like the dress very much and would love to be able to see her properly wearing it. I guess it’s just great to see spring colours after so many dark months.

This is a beautiful dress, the colour is amazing, the embroidery so impressive. Excellent, excellent dress!

Though I will disagree with a previous comment - I do not need to see her standing. I think the overall impresiveness of the dress would be spoiled - as it often is in Meghan's case - by lack of tailoring :lol: I'm glad to imagine it as a perfectly tailored!

The dress is so beautiful for spring/summer (but not one that I can afford :lol:). Love the colors and embroidery.

Thank you for the links. It's always a pleasure to see the dresses worn by royals in full length.

Lemons and other citrus fruits are often harvested during this season. I like the sleeveless design, so it's a perfect choice for a warmer and drier than usual winter in California.

I like the styling of the dress, and the gorgeous white flowers on the top right side (shoulder, breastbone and chest area). I had no idea what Meghan would choose to wear, but it's a nice dress. She's returned to a dark color which she wore a lot of in the early years of her life in the royal family (before and after her wedding). The outdoor setting/backdrop is lovely and softens the setting nicely.

Of course, Meghan mixed up those early dark color days on occasion with pale pinks, greens, cremes and beige, and then rare white and brighter shades, especially during the South Pacific tour. Still, in the beginning, she wore a lot of black and navy, always very stylishly. Her one noticeable misstep was at the Spencer country wedding shortly after her own nuptials where she chose a lovely flower print blue and white dress (by Oscar de la Renta), but the fit was off as the dress was overly voluminous for her small frame. Even then, it wasn't too horrible.

Since Meghan often seems to choose garments with intention in mind, I would imagine discussing serious topics lends itself to somber clothing which would explain her choice for the Oprah interview. Yet, the white flower offsets the black, symbolizing a bit of lightness, Spring, hope, rebirth.

Meghan's pale pink lip color contrasted by dark eye make-up looks good against the black dress with the white flowers. Her hair is up with the signature tendrils she often sports. She looks blooming, reticent and vulnerable in these clips, though we don't get to hear her speak. I love her light makeup allowing her freckles to be visible.

The dress fabric is, "Georgette, a sheer lightweight, dull-finished crepe fabric, named after early 20th-century French dressmaker, Georgette de la Plante."

Last edited:
I do like Meghan's hair and makeup. IMO there's nothing significant in the darker than usual eyeliner.
It is a very pretty dress. As always I prefer to see Meghan in more colourful clothing (my taste) but the white flowers do lighten the black of the whole. All in all, she looks healthy and lovely and ready for the interview.

Also, according to Mad about Meghan she is wearing her love bracelet, the Cartier bracelet (Harrys inheritance from Diana), Birks topaz earrings, Pippa Small aquamarine pendant necklace plus her wedding rings.

LaRae

I do like Meghan's hair and makeup. IMO there's nothing significant in the darker than usual eyeliner.
It is a very pretty dress. As always I prefer to see Meghan in more colourful clothing (my taste) but the white flowers do lighten the black of the whole. All in all, she looks healthy and lovely and ready for the interview.

Yes, I agree that Meghan's skin color pops in certain jewel-tone colors. But she carries off black and navy well. She also looks good in white and paler colors.

She certainly wears stilettos well, even during pregnancy. I wonder if she has practiced wearing very high heels, because she always walks so gracefully with great posture. Probably her yoga practice from the age of 7 and her overall fitness and healthy lifestyle aid her body awareness and graceful posture.

Yes I also noticed Meghan's great posture and graceful walk from the beginning. It's great that she can walk in such high heels. I've never been able to, especially when pregnant. Now if she can be persuaded into some more outfits of ice blue, yellow, red or orange that would be perfect!

The dress is pretty, but it simply doesn't fit with the light and airy backdrop, it also does not coordinate well with the light clothing Harry is wearing. The fit is... well, not terrible, but the dress sticks out in places. It looks like instead of going for something that's a maternity dress or can accomodate a bump Meghan just went up a size or three, which is causing the dress to stick out in unfortunate places, instead of fitting well.

Also I'm not sure if it's make-up or pregnancy, but I did a double take with this pic, wasn't sure if it really was Meghan or one of the weird wax figures people are creating of them, she looks... off.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/0..._history_repeating_itse-a-3_1614566246296.jpg

^^ That's a screen shot from the interview.

Meghan looks fine to me. Probably there is an element of purposeful theatricality in her attire and overall presentation, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It helps to properly convey her genuine emotions. She's wearing a soft lip color with contrasting darker eye make-up for a smoky effect. So the make-up enhances her already dark eyes. Her face is fuller due to being pregnant and, as she prefers, her foundation is minimal or light and translucent which allows her freckles to remain visible.

As I had surmised earlier, the white flower (a lotus flower) on the top right shoulder of the dress has symbolic significance -- It signifies purity, rebirth and resilience:

https://lotusmeaning.com/white-lotus-flower/

White Lotus Flower | Symbolism and Meanings
"The white Lotus has long been symbolic in Hinduism and Buddhism. It is very easy to see why this is the case as it is a beautiful flower, which usually emerges in a pristine condition from the murkiest of waters."

Meghan's mother, Doria, has long had an interest in Hinduism and Buddhism. Also Doria's nickname for Meghan, is 'Flower.' So I see both the dress and the jewelry Meghan chose to wear as symbolic of including both Diana and Doria in this interview appearance. An article in People further explains symbolic significance of the dress and the jewelry:
https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...racelet-oprah-winfrey-interview-prince-harry/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom