The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't find anything eco-conscious about spending large amounts of money on designer clothing that is worn once or twice, or even three or four times. Personally, I have no problem with Meghan or another royal wearing designer clothing, and I also don't expect any royal to wear the same thing day in and day out in the name of being ecologically conscious. I'm also not ready to canonize any royal for occasionally rewearing clothing, or occasionally buying from a company that touts itself as eco-friendly, at the same time spending large amounts of money on something that literally will be worn only a very few times.

I am incredibly disappointed at the 'usual suspects' who see Meghan's coat as just another opportunity to continue the 'Not British' and Not High Street' supposed moral high ground.

I see a woman with no black coat that still fits and little time to source one. That she probably called in a fashion favour is a given since the market is soo flooded with black maternity winter coats!

As a Kiwi living in Christchurch I was really touched that Meghan and Harry took the time to personally visit NZ House and pay their respects in person to our High Commissioner, a man of great Mana, Sir Jerry Mateparae.

Meghan's coat was deemed acceptable for the event by many of our favourite fashion sites who deemed any further discussion as being insensitive. Why am I surprised to read retreads of the same negative BS. Was 50 dead, 48 injured and untold families destroyed and an entire city in mourning and pretty much the rest of the whole country in shock serious enough to overlook a petty coat?

I am incredibly disappointed at the 'usual suspects' who see Meghan's coat as just another opportunity to continue the 'Not British' and Not High Street' supposed moral high ground.

I see a woman with no black coat that still fits and little time to source one. That she probably called in a fashion favour is a given since the market is soo flooded with black maternity winter coats!

As a Kiwi living in Christchurch I was really touched that Meghan and Harry took the time to personally visit NZ House and pay their respects in person to our High Commissioner, a man of great Mana, Sir Jerry Mateparae.

Meghan's coat was deemed acceptable for the event by many of our favourite fashion sites who deemed any further discussion as being insensitive. Why am I surprised to read retreads of the same negative BS. Was 50 dead, 48 injured and untold families destroyed and an entire city in mourning and pretty much the rest of the whole country in shock serious enough to overlook a petty coat?

Amen..and thankfully the admins deleted some of the more rude comments. I never even thought of them going to NZ house ...so it was very nice to see them pop up yesterday. As far as the coat (which I liked) goes she can hang on to it for the next pregnancy or even have it altered...or maybe she will send it to the recycle shops like some of the other members of the family do.

LaRae

I think Meghan wore the crossed silver feather earrings on the visit to NZ House that she had been gifted by the Prime Minister when the Sussexes were on tour there last year.

I think Meghan wore the crossed silver feather earrings on the visit to NZ House that she had been gifted by the Prime Minister when the Sussexes were on tour there last year.

You are correct.

Perhaps "the usual suspects" have a point.

Wearing a coat that probably cost thousands and is probably unlikely to be worn much again is a complete waste, IMO. And that is even before we address the British or foreign fashion house issue. Sourcing a "high street" maternity coat in black would be an easy win, but I don't think Meghan appreciates the sensitivity around this for the British public who have endured nearly a decade of austerity, or worse, ignores it.

As to the dead and injured, I think that is a complete and utter tragedy and really should not to be trivialised in fashion threads. Potentially expensive designer wear does not make those affected feel any better, or nor make the tragedy go away.

Last edited:
The coat she wore is a timeless piece that never goes out of style along with a few others, and yes, you can wear it for years to come even while not pregnant. None of us have a crystal ball to suggest that she won't wear it again. These swing coats look great in the fall and winter with slim fitting pants or skinny jeans. Why don't we wait a few years to crucify her for something that we can't predict.

Edited to add, while the swing coat may not be every one's cup of tea, yes, it is indeed a timeless piece. I still have one from my grandmother that I wear every year on my b-day.

(..)

I have no doubt that Meghan's coat was her particular style and it sort of fit although the top button was the only closed one. This makes me wonder if it is a gorgeous swing coat that we will see again because you have to be a particular sort of person, with a particular mindset about fashion, to wear one. I have a gorgeous pale grey swing coat with black velvet collar and cuffs and I will continue to wear it until it disintegrates.

It is not "fashionable" at the moment but then, many of Meghan's ensembles have not been fashionable per se. She seems to wear what suits and what fits regardless of the dictums of the doyennes of the fashion business. (Don't think I'll ever get over that shot of HM and the ultimate doyenne, Anna Wintour sitting side by side at a fashion show. :D )

The other point of note about Meghan's coat was, the tragedy occurred on Friday so she had a very short period of time to acquire an appropriate coat. It brings to mind the royal dictum of never travelling without a completely black ensemble and realising that at any other time Meghan's wardrobe would have been a sure thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

The thread has been cleaned up again, this is not about the Duchess of Cambridge or any other royal, please discuss the Duchess of Sussex's fashion choices only.

Is that all that you could come up with in 18 months of engagements?

Her first engagement was in December 2017, that would be 15 months ago, not 18.

Here's a list of Meghan's repeats (excluding accessories), I might be missing a few items:

1. Tuxe Bodywear blouse- ×2
2. Black Altuzurra pants- ×2
3. Black McQueen blazer- ×3
4. Victoria beckhan jumper- ×2
5. Camel Smythe Brando coat- Pre-owned
6. Navy Mackage coat- Pre-owned
7. Navy Antonio Berardi dress- pre-owned
8. White Babaton blazer- Pre-owned
9. Stella McCartney coat- x2
10. Amanda Wakeley Coat- ×3
11. J Crew jacket- Pre-owned
12. Rag & Bone Maternity jeans- x2
13. Navy Roland Mouret dress- ×2
14. Black Givenchy coat- x2
15. Emporio Armani Coat- ×2
16. Black Hatch dress- ×2
17. Erdem print dress- pre-owned
18. Gillian Anderson coat- x3
19. Burberry trench coat- Pre-owned
20. Outland denim jeans- x7
21. Stella McCartney Cape dress- ×2
22. Martin Grant trench- ×3
23. Navy Victoria Beckham coat- ×2
24. Black turtleneck bodysuit- x3
25. Mother skinny jeans- ×3
26. Mother bootcut jeans- pre-owned
27. Black Jac & Jack sweater- ×2
28. White Frank & Eileen shirt- ×2

That's a total of 39 repeats in 15 months. You must also keep in mind that she's 8 months pregnant and has been dealing with a rapidly changing body, which makes rewearing some clothes impossible.

Last edited:
Her first engagement was in December 2017, that would be 15 months ago, not 18.

Here's a list of Meghan's repeats (excluding accessories), I might be missing a few items:

1. Tuxe Bodywear blouse- ×2
2. Black Altuzurra pants- ×2
3. Black McQueen blazer- ×3
4. Victoria beckhan jumper- ×2
5. Camel Smythe Brando coat- Pre-owned
6. Navy Mackage coat- Pre-owned
7. Navy Antonio Berardi dress- pre-owned
8. White Babaton blazer- Pre-owned
9. Stella McCartney coat- x2
10. Amanda Wakeley Coat- ×3
11. J Crew jacket- Pre-owned
12. Rag & Bone Maternity jeans- x2
13. Navy Roland Mouret dress- ×2
14. Black Givenchy coat- x2
15. Emporio Armani Coat- ×2
16. Black Hatch dress- ×2
17. Erdem print dress- pre-owned
18. Gillian Anderson coat- x3
19. Burberry trench coat- Pre-owned
20. Outland denim jeans- x7
21. Stella McCartney Cape dress- ×2
22. Martin Grant trench- ×3
23. Navy Victoria Beckham coat- ×2
24. Black turtleneck bodysuit- x3
25. Mother skinny jeans- ×3
26. Mother bootcut jeans- pre-owned
27. Black Jac & Jack sweater- ×2
28. White Frank & Eileen shirt- ×2

That's a total of 39 repeats in 15 months. You must also keep in mind that she's 8 months pregnant and has been dealing with a rapidly changing body, which makes rewearing some clothes impossible.

To contextualise, perhaps the relevant list is what has not been repeated!

:previous: Of course we keep a running list of all royal women and the outfits they haven't repeated right?? Its 15 months, plenty of time for her to repeat many of the pieces she hasn't re-worn. Her pre-pregnancy clothes would be hard for her to repeat right now.

How do we quantify that exactly? Do we create an inventory of everything she's ever worn in public? How do we determine what could/should have been repeated but wasn't ( factoring in variables like type of engagement, season, weather, event-specific dress code etc)?

Last edited:
I just don't get it. It is their money. They receive a "salary" same as others in the firm that appears in public doing their JOB for this firm. They should be permitted to spend their salary where and whenever they desire and on what [within modest covering] to please both themselves and their boss [only one..THE QUEEN]. I remember quite well all the fuss over Catherine purchasing many expensive clothes first year of marriage also. Prince Charles was noted paying for them all so that she had proper "Royal function" attire. Let us face it, unless already multi-millionaire and in high echelon viewed family in media, no one has proper royal attire hanging in their closet. Now Kate even gets mocked in tabloids for re-wearing many times. I truly believe if all these clothes and their cost upset the Queen greatly, things would change.

I also realize that many have the hobby of keeping track of what is worn, the cost and where & when it was worn and with what accessories. They find that exciting which is their privilege. I even admire their diligence in their passion, but it is still their salary they use [or husband's] just like we use ours. JMHO

How do we quantify that exactly? Do we create an inventory of everything she's ever worn in public? How do we determine what could/should have been repeated but wasn't ( factoring in variables like type of engagement, season, weather, event-specific dress code etc)?

I was only trying to put some perspective around your list. One would have thought that as you put in the effort to carefully list out what items of clothing or accessories Meghan has repeated, you may well a compete list of all she has worn, and therefore, the presumably much shorter list of what she has not repeated.

I was only trying to put some perspective around your list. One would have thought that as you put in the effort to carefully list out what items of clothing or accessories Meghan has repeated, you may well a compete list of all she has worn, and therefore, the presumably much shorter list of what she has not repeated.

You're just splitting hairs really. Seeing as you laid the initial charge against Meghan, the burden of backing up your claim should lie entirely with you, not me. Feel free to share whatever criteria you used to come to your conclusion. If you think a list of things she HASN'T repeated is the better method of proving how seldom she recycles, you're welcome to compile it and share it.

You're just splitting hairs really. Seeing as you laid the initial charge against Meghan, the burden of backing up your claim should lie entirely with you, not me. Feel free to share whatever criteria you used to come to your conclusion. If you think a list of things she HASN'T repeated is the better method of proving how seldom she recycles, you're welcome to compile it and share it.

Well said Yeine.

LaRae

Funnily, I don't see it as splitting hairs or remotely confrontational.

You have painstakingly listed all the times she has reused items of clothing and accessories. For this number to be more relevant, I presume it is only appropriate that you define the total number of items you are comparing this to. So if for example, does your list represent say 15% of items getting repeated, or is it more like 80%? If you do not want to share that data or you do not have it (which is surprising as I guess you have been through every engagement to get the information you have already shared), then that is your choice. But it is certainly not splitting hairs.

Last edited:
Meghan's Recycled Accessories Part 1

1. Aquazzura Deneuve Taupe Suede pump= ×1
2. Aquazzura 'Deneuve' Black Bow Pump- ×6
3. Aquazzura Wedding Reception Pumps- ×1
4. Aquazzura Matilde Crisscross Nude Suede Pump- Pre-owned (×2)
5. Manolo Blahnik Pump in Beige Suede- ×2
6. Manolo Blahnik Pump in Navy Suede- x9
7. Manolo Blahnik Pump in Black Suede= ×4
8. Paul Andrew Black Grosgrain & Linen Pumps= ×1
9. Ralph Lauren Olive Suede Pumps- ×2
10. Sarah Flint pump in Black Leather= ×1
11. Sarah Flint Black Suede Tortoiseshell Pumps= ×5
12. Stuart Weitzman Suede Pump in Haze Beige= ×5
13. Stuart Weitzman Black Nudist Sandal= ×1
14. Tabitha Simmons Millie Black Suede Slingback Pump- ×2
15. Birdies Blackbird Slippers- Pre-owned (×1)
16. Chanel Black Leather Cap-Toe Ballerina Flats- Pre-owned (×1)
17. Rothy's Black Solid Flats- ×2
18. Sarah Flint Lace Up Sandals- Pre-owned (×3)
19. Navy Altuzarra 'Ghianda' Saddle Bag- ×1
20. Cuyana Quartz Mini Chain Saddle Bag- x1
21. Mulberry 'Clifton' Shoulder Bag= Pre-owned (×1)
22. Mulberry Oxblood Zipped Bayswater Leather Bag= Pre-owned (×1)
23. Oroton Black/Cream 'Avalon' Zip Top Crossbody Bag= ×1
24. Stella McCartney Black Shaggy Deer Faux Leather Crossbody Bag- ×1
25. Carolina Herrera White Metropolitan Insignia Small Clutch= ×1
26. Dior Navy Satin Clutch Bag- ×2
27. Givenchy Black Satin Clutch- ×5
28. Gucci 'Dionysus' Super Mini Black Suede Bag= ×1
29. Jimmy Choo Black 'J Box' Clutch- x1
30. Kayu 'Anna' Black Straw Clutch= ×1
31. Prada 'Biblioteque' Saffiano Leather Chain Clutch- ×1
32. Wilbur and Gussie Bespoke Charlie Oyster Silk Clutch- x2
33. Birks 'Bee Chic' Stackable Diamond Ring= ×1
34. Birks Iconic Stackable Diamond Snowflake Ring​- x1
35. Birks Iconic Stackable Yellow Gold and Diamond Splash Ring- ×2
36. Catbird 'Threadbare' Yellow Gold Ring- ×17
37. Ecksand Marquise-cut Blue Sapphire Showcase Stackable Ring- x1
38. Ecksand Marquise-cut Diamond Showcase Stackable Ring= ×1
39. i&i Jewellery Gold Crescent Moon Ring= ×2
40.Givenchy Black 2G Buckle Belt- ×1
41. Pippa Small 'Durga' Round Ring- x1

Meghan's Recycled Accessories Part 2

42. Pippa Small Herkimer Diamond Almost Ring- x1
43. Pippa Small Herkimer Diamond Eternity Ring- ×1
44. Vanessa Tugendhaft Promesse Infinie Pave Diamond Ring- x2
45. Adina Reyter Three Diamond Amigos Curve Post Earrings= ×5
46. Birks 'Bee Chic' Blue Topaz Silver Earrings- ×1
47. Birks 'Bee Chic' White Quartz Silver Earrings- x1
48. Birks Muse Citrine and Diamond Drop Earrings= ×1
49. Birks PÉTALE Large Yellow Gold and Diamond Stud Earrings​= ×2
50. Birks Snowflake Snowstorm Diamond Earrings= ×6
51. Birks Snowflake Large Round Jacket Earrings= x2
52. Les Plaisirs de Birks Yellow Gold and Opal Earrings- x1
53. Plaisirs de Birks Gold Bar Earrings- Pre-owned (×3)
54. Boh Runga 'Feather Kiss' Gold Discologo Stud- ×8
55. Cartier White Gold and Diamond Galanterie Stud Earrings- ×6
56. White & Yellow Diamond Chandelier Earrings= ×1
57. Diamond and Pearl Earring= ×2
58. Karen Walker Temptation Gold Stud Earrings​- ×1
59. Natalie Marie Diamond Sun Studs- x2
60. Pippa Small Nosheen Stud Earrings= ×1
61. Pippa Small Kyanite Classic Stud Earrings- x3
62. Pippa Small Herkimer Diamond Stud Earrings= ×1
63. Shaun Leane 'Talon' Earrings- ×2
64. Vanessa Tugendhaft Parisienne Diamond Hoop Earrings- ×1
65. Zofia Day Dash Ear Studs- Pre-owned (×1)
66. Bentley & Skinner A Diamond Line Bracelet= ×3
67. Birks White Gold Flex Wrap Bracelet- x2
68. Kismet by Milka Dangle Full Circles Bracelet- Pre-owned (×1)
69. Wwake Three-Stone Opal Cuff= ×2
70. Adina Reyter Solid Pavé Teardrop Necklace- ×3
71. Jessica McCormack Tattoo Diamond Pendant​= ×2
72. Pascale Monvoisin Cauri N°2 Necklace- ×3
73. Right Hand Gal Solid Gold Asymmetrical Initial Necklace- Pre-owned (×1)
74. Princess Diana's Diamond Bracelet= ×2
75. Princess Diana Gold Cuff Bracelet with Blue Stones- x2
76. Princess Diana Butterfly Diamond Stud Earrings- ×1
77. Princess Diana Aquamarine Ring- x1
78. Philip Treacy Black Straw Hat with Buntal Ribbon​= ×1
79. Madewell x Biltmore Panama Hat= Pre-owned (×2)
80. Babaton 'Amos' Black Dress Belt- ×1
81. Givenchy Black Double G Plaque Buckle Thin Leather Belt- ×1

Accessories Total: 188
Grand total: 227

NOTE: On this list x__ refers to total no. of times recycled rather than total no. of times worn (contrary to the previous one).

Last edited:
Yeine:
I admire your work, this had to betaking you a long time to do, impressive!

I thought the black swing coat looked great on Meghan. She looked a bit sad and tired, but very appropriate for the somber occasion.

For me, it's a significant fact that a number of items we have seen Meghan wearing are clothes and accessories previously purchased by her that were part of her working and casual wardrobe before her marriage.

I echo thanks to @Yeine for doing such a great job itemizing as much as possible Meghan's recycled jewelry and accessories, and in particular noting the number of pre-owned jewelry and accessories that we have seen since her engagement and marriage. Thanks!

There would still be information about items in Meghan's wardrobe (ncluding clothing, jewelry, and accessories) that we would have no way of knowing anything about because nothing has been confirmed or made public in the first place. For example, the gorgeous gown Meghan wore for the engagement pictures could have been pre-owned (and/or purchased on discount by her previously), or even perhaps loaned at no cost by the designers. Meghan wearing that outfit certainly brought Ralph & Russo major attention and untold new business. ?

A pre-owned item of clothing that comes immediately to mind is the black sheer dress with flower print and ruffles that Meghan wore to the Christmas lunch, and that she'd worn previously to one of her fashion stints on the Today show. There are surely other pre-owned clothing items that obviously aren't part of the the accessories list that Yeine has so diliigently compiled.

Last edited:
Yeine, fantastic work! A lot of time and labour there! This list should be sent to every tabloid, especially the Fail, that keeps insisting that Meghan is the most extravagant woman to ever marry into the BRF.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :flowers: I've been quite baffled by some people's insistence that she never recycles. As her detractors so love to remind us, Meghan isn't perfect, there's enough to criticise without telling lies and half-truths. Could she recycle more? Definitely, but so could most royal women.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :flowers: I've been quite baffled by some people's insistence that she never recycles. As her detractors so love to remind us, Meghan isn't perfect, there's enough to criticise without telling lies and half-truths. Could she recycle more? Definitely, but so could most royal women.

Not long ago on FB (Royal Group) someone said she hadn't re-worn one thing since she married...I just did a quick google and found a few things, enough to prove the point she has.

This list is great, even I wasn't aware of how much she had re-worn. Personally I think the items she bought 'used' (vintage) should count as extra 'points'! :D

LaRae

Meghan is being held to an unfair standard here. Forget the seasonal factor and how it's only been a little over a year. She's also in the last month of her pregnancy. I imagine there has been plenty of clothes where she simply haven't been able to fit into for months.

Yeine; good work! That puts flour to mouth to people who repeat day to day that Meghan does not reuse her clothes and accessories. As far as I know she is the only royal lady who does wear real vintage clothes.

The Duchess of Sussex visiting New Zealand House in London today, March 19, to pay respect to the 50 people murdered at two mosques in new Zealand:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Side view **

I love the coat. Very elegant.

I love the color but not the coat in general.

Ugh, there are new pictures of Harry and Meghan leaving a wellness store in Kensington. I don't really know if I should post the pictures since it seems that they weren't interested in having their pics taken.

However, it was a very casual look for Meghan.
A $30.00 shirt featuring Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles (Can you say 80's teenage girl screen crush swoon)
Maternity jeans, white trainers and one of Harry's green jackets.

http://www.meghansmirror.com/street-style/meghan-harry-visit-ilapothecary-in-london/

Back
Top Bottom