"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henry Martin was only teaching one subject constitutional history. The Queen and Margaret were taught similar subjects for the daughters of high ranking aristocrats such as French and dance. Not really much math or science. The royal men weren’t educated that we either. They were basically shipped off to the military. George V and his elder brother were shipped off to the Navy. So was George and Bertie. Henry the army. If you were the heir you got some time at university.

Charles basically was the first heir to go to school as a young child

Has anyone bought Series1 on dvd yet?

Henry Martin was only teaching one subject constitutional history. The Queen and Margaret were taught similar subjects for the daughters of high ranking aristocrats such as French and dance. Not really much math or science.
The queen's Biblical history tutor was Canon Crawley, of St. George's Chapel, Windsor. Her governess was educated at Edinburgh University.
I can't describe her education as "limited" or "poorly".

Lookwise, I'd go for Jude Law or Paul Bettany but I think Tobias Menzies is a great actor too

For an elderly Philip I think Charles Dance would be spectacular.

For an elderly Philip I think Charles Dance would be spectacular.

Very good choice JR76,he's played some great characters over the years!

The queen's Biblical history tutor was Canon Crawley, of St. George's Chapel, Windsor. Her governess was educated at Edinburgh University.
I can't describe her education as "limited" or "poorly".

Her education, I think, is best described in two words. No, three. Practical, sensible, efficient.

I'm having Prince Philip beard feels. Or Matt Smith beard feels. Or both Matt Smith and Prince Philip beard feels. Can't decide which feels are stronger so I'm just letting them take over.

The important thing to remember is that this series is just a dramatization based on real events. It's not the exact truth for the most part. The producers are very fast and loose with the facts. If they made a concerted effort, I think there's enough real life drama to stay more closely aligned with what actually happened. There are chronological inaccuracies, and purposely made up scenes. For example, some of the inaccuracies include the following:

One of the problems is that a younger generation of fans seem to completely believe everything they are seeing in this made for Netflix series. I think it's best to enjoy as much as you can, and then do some serious reading and research for a grounding in the complexities of what actually happened. And remember, there are likely so many things that happen behind-the-scenes intimately between the British royal family members that we will never know.

Here's information on what actually happened to the Sutherland portrait of Winston Churchill vs how the details were dramatized in The Crown series:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland's_Portrait_of_Winston_Churchill

Last edited:
Not having Netflix, I have finally been able to see The Crown on DVD.

Considering it's an American production*, I thought they did exceptionally well; I'm not worried about the little inconsistencies. It's drama, after all, not a documentary. I liked the containment of subject matter within each episode, e.g. the fog episode. I had never heard of that tragedy.

Being an artist myself, i enjoyed watching both Winston and his portraitist paint.

I did think that the jewels did not sparkle as much as they should, having seen gifs where the Royal tiaras just sparkle and sparkle, though I thought the pearls gleamed very nicely.

The children playing young Elizabeth and Margaret were very well-matched to the actresses playing the older versions – though i found it hard to get over a very tall Princess Margaret!

I thought Matt Smith excellent; i could see him still in Seasons 3 and 4 easily, he hasn't got a 'young' face, and then Charles Dance can take over; there, that's sorted!

I felt Claire Foy looked a bit schoolgirlish, but then I recall that the young QEII was sometimes referred to that in that way.

The titles seemed a bit Game of Thronish in the slow graphic movement and music.

The only true similarities from the actors to their subject were the Duke of Windsor and the corgis, otherwise you had to take it with a grain of salt, especially the Queen Mother.

All in all, i enjoyed it; I thought even with the drama added, it was respectful and worth watching, quality drama. I'll definitely watch season 2 this time next year. Sigh. I do like a good binge watch –but is it a binge watch if the seasons are a year apart?

* Reading back, I could see this sentence could be read the wrong way; what I meant was that not being English, they wouldn't automatically know the little details that the English would; it's certainly not meant to be a putdown on American TV, which can be brilliant.

Last edited:
I just watched season 1 a week or so ago (netflix discs). Season 2 starts Dec 8th on PBS I think, if so I'll watch it there ..guessing it will be in the time slot for Poldark now that it's over till next year.

The first disc of The Crown was slightly boring. Maybe because there was nothing new and how it portrayed. The rest of it got a little better.

I do not like how they are portraying The Queen Mum. I think that's off from everything I have read about her.

LaRae

For it's all faults, I enjoyed the series and am looking forward to the next instalment next week. I found that for the most part, they seem to have captured the personalities of each 'player' quite well.

Personally I thought the portrayal of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was accurate and was relieved it wasn't another sickly sweet portrayal when we know that she could be quite harsh and intolerant towards certain people. I especially liked the way Queen Mary was portrayed which was exactly as I had always imagined her to be.

Members of the cast Claire Foy, Matt Smith and Vanessa Kirby On Their Favorite Looks

Two more days?!!! I can't wait. It's astonishing to me how well Matt Smith portrays Philip. I don't keep up with the awards so I don't know, but I think he deserves an emmy for this performance.

I thought it was on Sunday night?
LaRae

It'll drop on Netflix at midnight tonight for those in the US and generally follows an hour or two later for those in the UK.

Ah I'm watching it on PBS when it comes on so I'm talking about TV viewing, not downloads etc.

LaRae

Ah I'm watching it on PBS when it comes on so I'm talking about TV viewing, not downloads etc.

LaRae

Oh I see. I'm not too sure about that unfortunately but you can get a month's free trial with Netflix which would allow you to see the show right away and then you could cancel it before you're charged. I have friends who do this each year for certain series they really want to see!

We live out rural..so we can't access all the downloads, we can't get high speed cable etc.

LaRae

We live out rural..so we can't access all the downloads, we can't get high speed cable etc.

LaRae

At least you'll be able to savour it when it's shown on PBS. I'll spend all day binge watching it and then moan for a whole year that the third series isn't here yet ?

At least you'll be able to savour it when it's shown on PBS. I'll spend all day binge watching it and then moan for a whole year that the third series isn't here yet ?

You mean like I moaned about Season 1 since I binged watched all the discs in a week? LOL I just watched the first season a couple weeks ago!

LaRae

It really is the most frustrating thing about Netflix or Amazon Prime. I watched the first season again last weekend to refresh my memory but I'm still sour that I've had to wait a whole year to see the third series of 'Man in the High Castle' on Prime. Because I watched it all in 24 hours. I just have no self control when it comes to TV I guess.

Back
Top Bottom