The British Nobility thread 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Marchioness of Bath attended the V&A 2023 Summer Party yesterday, June 21:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Marchioness of Bath attended the celebration for Fashion Trust Arabia's winners launching into Matches at The Connaught Hotel in London yesterday, June 25:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Harry Algar Nigel Orde-Powlett (his full name), better known by his noble title, Lord Bolton, has died of cancer at the age of 69 at his residence, Bolton Castle, in Yorkshire, and surrounded of his family.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...olton-harry-orde-powlett-mujer-hijos_3671413/

His son Thomas is now the 9th Baron Bolton :previous:

206px-Arms_of_Orde-Powlett.svg.png

Had anyone heard about the story of Napier Marten’s daughter, Constance?

wives of peers are commoners.

Nancy Witcher Langhorne Astor, Viscountess Astor, CH (19 May 1879 – 2 May 1964) was an American-born British politician who was the first woman seated as a Member of Parliament (MP), serving from 1919 to 1945.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Astor,_Viscountess_Astor

She was wife of a peer and was seated in the House of Commons.
Only commoners had right to sit in in the House of Commons.

If we apply the definition that everyone who is eligible to sit in the House of Commons is a commoner, then all peers of Ireland and most hereditary peers since 1999 should be designated as commoners. But that is not how the term is normally employed.

Peers in their own right enjoy a special status in British law which is shared with their wives, who are traditionally referred to as peeresses. For that reason, neither peers or peeresses are generally viewed as commoners, even according to stricter definitions.

"12.14 Privilege of peerage, which is distinct from parliamentary privilege, still exists although the occasions for its exercise have now diminished into obscurity. Privilege of peerage belongs to all peers, whether or not they are members of the House of Lords, and also to the wives of peers and widows of peers provided they do not marry commoners.[530] The extent of the privilege has long been ill-defined. Three of its features survived into the twentieth century. The first was the right of trial by peers which was abolished by statute in 1948. The second is the right of access to the Sovereign at any time. The third is freedom from arrest in civil matters; but the application of this aspect of the privilege appears to have arisen in only two cases in the courts since 1945.[531] All privilege of peerage is lost upon a disclaimer under the Peerage Act 1963."

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld/ldcomp/compso2010/ldctso15.htm

Since we are talking about the House of Lords and commons.

How different do you guys think the peers would be if the reform act of 1999 never happened?

Since we are talking about the House of Lords and commons.

How different do you guys think the peers would be if the reform act of 1999 never happened?
Nothing would change much. The House of Lords is certainly never going to get the power it used to have since Lloyd George. The peers that care to attend HOL will still attend but those not interested won’t come.

I wonder what his father who most likely gifted the estate to his younger son thinks of it.
Especially as it's been in the Percy family for nearly 700 years.

It'd be wonderful if the National Trust could buy it, but I doubt that they could raise £35 million.

I wonder what his father who most likely gifted the estate to his younger son thinks of it.
I don’t think his dad is bothered about it.

Especially as it's been in the Percy family for nearly 700 years.

It'd be wonderful if the National Trust could buy it, but I doubt that they could raise £35 million.
The National Trust doesn’t have to raise the money on its own. National lottery Fund as well as donations from private donations usually help in these things too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know the Duke of Northumberland was worth £315 million. Amazing. Most of the Dukes (other than maybe 2) are very wealthy, some even close to hitting the billon dollar range.

Other members of the nobility are wealthy as well, many earls and viscount are billionaires. Seems like the nobles have done well for themselves in the past decade.

I didn't know the Duke of Northumberland was worth £315 million. Amazing. Most of the Dukes (other than maybe 2) are very wealthy, some even close to hitting the billon dollar range.

Other members of the nobility are wealthy as well, many earls and viscount are billionaires. Seems like the nobles have done well for themselves in the past decade.
Most Dukes aren’t really wealthy. The few Earls and viscounts who are wealthy are because of newer industry like media e.g. but yes some have done well, others not so much

I would say that most of the Dukes are. Obviously there are some who aren’t but let’s look at the list. There are currently 24 non royal dukes.

The Grosvenors (Dukes of Westminster) are worth £10 billion and are one of the country's largest landowners.

The Wellesleys (Dukes of Wellington) are worth around £75m. The Cavendishes (Dukes of Devonshire) are currently worth around £905 million and their net worth keeps going up. The Howards (Dukes of Norfolk) are worth £100 million.

The Egertons (Dukes of Sutherland) are worth £585 million. The Scotts (Dukes of Buccleuch) are worth £260 million. The Lennoxes (Dukes of Richmond) are worth about £215 million. The Russells (Dukes of Bedford) are worth $620 million. The Spencer-Churchills (Dukes of Marlborough) are worth £183 million. The Manners (Dukes of Rutland) are worth £145 million.

The Somersets (Dukes of Beaufort) are worth £315 million. The Innes-Ker family (Dukes of Roxburghe) are worth £100 million.

So 12 out of 24 isn’t bad at all. There are some who don’t a net worth public so I’ve left them out.

I would say that most of the Dukes are. Obviously there are some who aren’t but let’s look at the list. There are currently 24 non royal dukes.

The Grosvenors (Dukes of Westminster) are worth £10 billion and are one of the country's largest landowners.

The Wellesleys (Dukes of Wellington) are worth around £75m. The Cavendishes (Dukes of Devonshire) are currently worth around £905 million and their net worth keeps going up. The Howards (Dukes of Norfolk) are worth £100 million.

The Egertons (Dukes of Sutherland) are worth £585 million. The Scotts (Dukes of Buccleuch) are worth £260 million. The Lennoxes (Dukes of Richmond) are worth about £215 million. The Russells (Dukes of Bedford) are worth $620 million. The Spencer-Churchills (Dukes of Marlborough) are worth £183 million. The Manners (Dukes of Rutland) are worth £145 million.

The Somersets (Dukes of Beaufort) are worth £315 million. The Innes-Ker family (Dukes of Roxburghe) are worth £100 million.

So 12 out of 24 isn’t bad at all. There are some who don’t a net worth public so I’ve left them out.
The Dukes of Norfolk are around 100 million or close to that. The Egerton family are rich mainly because of their art collection not land holdings.

Moat are asset rich, not cash rich. The Devonshire’s are only so because they weren’t afraid to sell the life out of Chatsworth which is big business and they are not embarrassed to work it for all it’s worth. The Duchess goes to every wedding they hold there and like the previous one is an extremely savvy business woman.

The Marquess and Marchioness of Bath attended Mick Jagger's 80th birthday party at Embargo Republica nightclub in Chelsea on July 26:

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/15...=WDoooEgw26HoWiB7qBhKHvxVegyreFazT9fOtqUh_gc=
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/15...=L2WIqzKjjsG5CWPT7bqK7lkQIJsDqlB_g60AQaGLsK8=

And the Marchioness of Bath attended the launch of Lotus flagship showroom at 73 Piccadilly on July 27:

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/15...=LfMKIctg-kG8kLy3SPkntGhC4RvIP1oBOfaODYMU-fU=
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/15...=Y_kaVtnm01NieXwbeYA4fSZD9-KTzzPQPUlf4SuY774=

Fun alternate history question for you all: Do you think if Prince Willam married a daughter of an aristo/noble, would she have been treated better by the press than Kate or worse?

Fun alternate history question for you all: Do you think if Prince Willam married a daughter of an aristo/noble, would she have been treated better by the press than Kate or worse?
In one view, I don’t think that it would make a difference. The British press would try to look for something bad to embarrass the hypothetical bride. But I think if the bride was the daughter of a peer whose family were owners of a big media business like the Daily Mail, maybe the press treatment wouldn’t be much problematic. Alternatively, if the bride and her family were not controversial or weren't photographed a lot, the press treatment would be better.

Moat are asset rich, not cash rich. The Devonshire’s are only so because they weren’t afraid to sell the life out of Chatsworth which is big business and they are not embarrassed to work it for all it’s worth. The Duchess goes to every wedding they hold there and like the previous one is an extremely savvy business woman.
Not to mention, their art collection and hotel business,

In one view, I don’t think that it would make a difference. The British press would try to look for something bad to embarrass the hypothetical bride. But I think if the bride was the daughter of a peer whose family were owners of a big media business like the Daily Mail, maybe the press treatment wouldn’t be much problematic. Alternatively, if the bride and her family were not controversial or weren't photographed a lot, the press treatment would be better.
I agree, I think the press would've probably labelled her as snobbish or at least something bad. I also agree that if she was the daughter of a peer whose family were owners of a big media business like the Daily Mail they probably wouldn't be all that bad, or even if her father had a lot of money. There would be a lot more comparisons to Diana and the Spencers as well.

I agree, I think the press would've probably labelled her as snobbish or at least something bad. I also agree that if she was the daughter of a peer whose family were owners of a big media business like the Daily Mail they probably wouldn't be all that bad, or even if her father had a lot of money. There would be a lot more comparisons to Diana and the Spencers as well.
All those could be possible scenarios. I wonder which member of the BRF will marry into the British nobility, but I don’t think that will happen anytime soon or at all

Back
Top Bottom