State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But have Harry, William and Kate ever had to be diplomats to VIPs that have insulted those who are close to them before? It's going to be a test.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/31/...-boris-johnson-good-prime-minister/index.html

Looks like the POTUS has been speaking about the Duchess of Sussex

And why is the POTUS giving interviews to the likes of The Sun anyways? On the issue of what he said about Meghan. What Meghan said was hardly nasty just because she disagreed with a Presidential candidate. While it’s not true in many countries in the world, we were taught to speak truth to power growing up in US.

Last edited by a moderator:
And he previously spoke a lot about Catherine and Diana too. Didn't he also lie, that the Queen kept him waiting during his previous visit? He's keeping true to form, slagging the British royal ladies.
What did he say about Kate? I don't recollect anything nor of him sayng the queen kept him waiting....

What did he say about Kate? I don't recollect anything nor of him sayng the queen kept him waiting....

He essentially stated that it was her own fault for the topless pictures that were taken in France. He's also said some not nice things about Diana.

And why is the POTUS giving interviews to the likes of The Sun anyways?

Why this particular POTUS does what he does is a question I have asked myself many times. And I am sure I am not alone in asking the question. :flowers:

While it’s not true in many countries in the world, we were taught to speak truth to power growing up in US.

Perhaps that is a plea you might prefer to make to the POTUS on Twitter, or the long suffering White House staff!?

Perhaps that is a plea you might prefer to make to the POTUS on Twitter, or the long suffering White House staff!?

What I communicate, as a citizen, to our government official and how isn’t up for discussion here. The discussion here is what he said about BRF. :flowers:

He posted 2 tweets.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Kate Middleton is great--but she shouldn't be sunbathing in the nude--only herself to blame.

12:03 PM - Sep 17, 2012

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Who wouldn't take Kate's picture and make lots of money if she does the nude sunbathing thing. Come on Kate!

12:04 PM - Sep 17, 2012

Just a note before we reopen the thread:

This thread is about Trump's State Visit, so his interactions with members of the Royal Family and his comments about them (both past and present) are on-topic and will be allowed.

While members of the BRF have dealt with other controversial figures, this thread is not about those figures. It’s about Donald Trump. So let’s please stay on-topic and refrain from discussing other heads of state, and not turn this into a debate about politics, human rights abuses, etc.

I saw the interview. The interviewer asked him if he had heard the critical remarks that Meghan had made about him. He said No. The interviewer then quoted a couple of remarks attributed to Meghan. President Trump smiled and said he hadn’t heard that she made nasty remarks, but that he wishes her well in her new role.

It really was much ado about nothing.

:previous:
I agree that's probably what he MEANT with the "nasty" comment but it's definitely not what he said.

"I didn't know she was nasty" were his exact words.

I think the man is a disaster, but he is not being treated fairly on the Meghan quote.

Last edited:
Now Trump is claiming he never called Meghan nasty and CNN owes him an
apology

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...-nasty-demands-apology-cnn-even-1441478?amp=1

Seriously? He's on tape and the Sun was the one that reported this. I'm guessing an aide told Trump he stepped in it by insulting a member of the royal family before a state visit and this is his version of damage control.

Its too easy to jump on any little thing and push it way out of proportion these days. It might be well to remember too that anything Meghan has said in regards to Trump happened *before* her serious involvement with Harry became public.

There's no damage control attempted by the President. There was no insult given to any member of the British royal family and we all *know* tabloids such as the Sun see things their own way and cash in on it. ;)

He also gave an interview saying that he’d be a Princess than she is and that her waving is pathetic. The man is nuts, but the State Visit will be over before you blink an eye.

If you are referring to the Borowitz Report from the New Yorker, that is a satirical piece. It is like The Onion, it is a joke and not real.

I really think that this state visit is going to go off without a hitch or a gaffe or something going wrong. Its a formal occasion and the Queen will set the stage for the state banquet with her usual diplomatic demeanor and grace and friendliness. Her family will also do likewise, I'm sure.

The most important aspect of this state visit is actually the 75th anniversary of D-Day at Portsmouth which, I presume, will be quite the formal and solemn occasion that it should be.

He also gave an interview saying that he’d be a Princess than she is and that her waving is pathetic. The man is nuts, but the State Visit will be over before you blink an eye.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/bor...ld-be-much-better-princess-than-meghan-markle

Satire paper..not real.

LaRae

:previous:
I agree that's probably what he MEANT with the "nasty" comment but it's definitely not what he said.

"I didn't know she was nasty" were his exact words.

I think the man is a disaster, but he is not being treated fairly on the Meghan quote.

Right...for a man of his age...my mother would be in his age range and I grew up hearing her say don't be nasty or that's nasty, she's being nasty etc in reference to something a person said. It wasn't about their person.

I saw the clip last night ...lots of folks out there misquoting and changing context.

LaRae

I really think that this state visit is going to go off without a hitch or a gaffe or something going wrong. Its a formal occasion and the Queen will set the stage for the state banquet with her usual diplomatic demeanor and grace and friendliness. Her family will also do likewise, I'm sure.

The most important aspect of this state visit is actually the 75th anniversary of D-Day at Portsmouth which, I presume, will be quite the formal and solemn occasion that it should be.

Yes everything will be fine. I am looking forward to some of the historic aspects to the event.

LaRae

Satire paper..not real.

LaRae

Yes, I can see that. The nasty comment isn’t new. He’s called other women nasty. He’s gonna say something crazy while he’s over there so y’all better be ready for it.

Yes, I can see that. The nasty comment isn’t new. He’s called other women nasty. He’s gonna say something crazy while he’s over there so y’all better be ready for it.

He made it thru the last trip there without saying anything that was an issue plus he's been to other State dinners without incident. He didn't call Meghan (the person) nasty. He was referring to her comments.

LaRae

My take on this 'nasty' debacle is this; reporter from tabloid laid a trap for Trump to say something stupid about Meghan and he falls right into it because he is not smart. Easiest thing for him to do was 'I didn't know but I wish her well', right? BUT NO!! He proves why he is gets outwitted by autocrats.

Also the reporter knows that Meghan would not be participating in the visit because she is on maternity leave, why bring up those remarks when 45 is not going to meet her?

Also this is not the first time Meghan's comments were brought to his attention. In an interview with Piers Morgan in January 2018, Piers asked him (45) if he was invited to the wedding which Trump replied no and wished the couple and Morgan said that Meghan found Trump to be 'divisive and sexist' to which Trump said he hoped that the couple are happy. Either Trump has amnesia or he wanted to call Meghan nasty.

And if the reporter was really interested in bringing up old stuff, what about his harassment of the late Princess of Wales and those victim blaming tweets concerning Kate's topless photos? But no, just punch down Meghan because it is so easy and of course clicks.

Last edited:
Yeah but he has called every woman who does not agree with him nasty. I don't think it is coincidence.

He may have meant that he didn't know her comments were nasty, but that's not what he said. He said that he "didn't know she was nasty." He has a habit of calling women nasty, so I'm not willing to give him a pass for this. And honestly, as a public figure it's important that he choose his words carefully and he clearly didn't.

Also, it's weird that he's pretending that he has never heard Meghan's comments about him. During his first visit to the UK, he did an interview with Piers Morgan and Piers told him exactly what Meghan had said about him. So he wasn't being truthful in this interview.

And if the reporter was really interested in bringing up old stuff, what about his harassment of the late Princess of Wales and those victim blaming tweets concerning Kate's topless photos? But no, just punch down Meghan because it is so easy and of course clicks.

I don't think this has anything to do with the media punching down. Meghan is an American citizen and has been outspoken about Trump, so of course the topic would come up.

In addition to the two tweets that Countessmeout posted. He also called into Fox News and said this about Kate:

“While we’re all fans of Kate, can you imagine… why would she be outside in the nude?” said Trump. “Why would she be standing in the nude in the swimming pool or wherever she was? And she’s Kate, so you know, it’s terrible what they did, it’s terrible to take pictures, but how can you do a thing so stupid… To be outside of a swimming pool without a top on, and you’re Kate? Maybe they can stop it, but it is a very, very foolish thing she did.”

Last edited:
He may have meant that he didn't know her comments were nasty, but that's not what he said. He said that he "didn't know she was nasty." He has a habit of calling women nasty, so I'm not willing to give him a pass for this. And honestly, as a public figure it's important that he choose his words carefully and he clearly didn't.

Also, it's weird that he's pretending that he has never heard Meghan's comments about him. During his first visit to the UK, he did an interview with Piers Morgan and Piers told him exactly what Meghan had said about him. So he wasn't being truthful in this interview.
:

I agree. Not only did he say he didn’t know she was nasty, he went on to say he hopes she’s not. It wasn’t directed at her comments (which were also not nasty btw).

And really, if he just ignored the media on this and get on with the visit, this would’ve long passed by now. But of course, he has to tweet a lie and then The Sun released the audio to prove it. Now this is going to be talked about on all the political shows tomorrow on how he’s now made another misogynistic comment at a high profile and intelligent woman who dares to disagree with him and then go on to attack the press.

Trump has been quite restrained in responding to Meghan's past criticism of him compared to how he usually acts. Even when Piers Morgan repeated asked him about it. Which is why I don't understand why this was such a big point warranting multiple questions on again even after it appeared Trump wanted to move on from this topic. I would think other comments by people discussed in that interview, like Boris Johnson, would actually been more consequential considering he could potentially be the next PM.

Last edited:
:previous: Exactly. He could have done what he did in the Piers interview and just said that he wished her well or whatever. There was no need for him to refer to her as nasty, or pretend that he had never heard her comments.

He just boarded Air Force One and a reporter asked him if he should apologize to the Royal Family, or maybe clarify his comments, and he said no and then stated that he didn't make any bad remarks. So this will definitely dominate coverage tomorrow.

I don't think this has anything to do with the media punching down. Meghan is an American citizen and has been outspoken about Trump, so of course the topic would come up.

@soapstar When I say punching down, I am referring to the British tabloids favourite past time of dragging Meghan into every blessed headline. I appreciate that Meghan at the time was a private citizen and Harry was not on her radar so she was entitled to speak her truth to power. Like I said before, these comments are not new and he could have just shut up and eat his McDonald's.

:previous: Exactly. He could have done what he did in the Piers interview and just said that he wished her well or whatever. There was no need for him to refer to her as nasty, or pretend that he had never heard her comments.

He just boarded Air Force One and a reporter asked him if he should apologize to the Royal Family, or maybe clarify his comments, and he said no and then stated that he didn't make any bad remarks. So this will definitely dominate coverage tomorrow.

Y'know, I think you're right on that point. One thing that is being sidestepped in this whole thing is that its no longer billed as a state visit from the United States of America to the United Kingdom. Its more or less turning out to be "The Donald Trump Show" and the focus is on the man and not the position he holds. To go with the flow these days, one has to demean the man and focus on the negative aspects.

If we looked hard enough, we could find something negative to focus on for each and every US President there has been. Sure, President Trump is somewhat like a bull in a china shop and may say and do things we don't think are "proper" but along those lines, he's not the first. The Duke of Edinburgh comes to mind in this respect.

I guess it boils down to that its more interesting to pick on someone's gaffes, errors in choice of words and bumbling behavior rather than look at the positive results and the unity of alliances between two countries which is what state visits celebrate to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom