"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Yukari ! Thanks for the laugh ! "Look the candle over there, See it flickers, its Mum. My Mum is there. She should be crowned as Queen. Its her right".

Yep, spot on ! Harry will certainly be seeing it that way.

I think it would be hilarious to watch Dim Harry TRY to talk extemporaneously for for a few hours about The People, History and Rituals of a Coronation. I can't imagine he could pull it off without appearing foolish. But I'm sure Gayle King or whatever TV Correspondent would be beside Prince Fredo would try bail him out of his ignorance.

On the other hand, to have that prat talk about things that he doesn't understand.... the cultural significance of what will be a solemn, dignified and religious service at Westminster Abbey is appalling to Me.

Poor Charles. To have his Reign start out being rocked by his rogue and jealous son. Now his Coronation being hijacked.

Last edited:
May not have a landlines...or at least not one anywhere near the bedrooms. It's a huge house. I doubt they have much in the way of live in staff. Nannies maybe amd a housekeeper but why would the royals have their numbers. Or even the numbers of their security. If they couldn't get Harry and Meghan then the only option was the police. It happens.

Im sure they have a housekeeper and she would have a phone....and they certainly would have security guards who were on duty at night? but the point was that they knew Philip was very ill and close to death. were they not thinking that the next time the phone rang it might be to announce that he was gone? Im sure that the RF must have told him this and asked for some number they coudl contact him on, when Philip died.

According to reports at the time, the LA police had to call at Harry's house because no one was answering the phone... the British Embassy and Palace could not get hold of him. H knew that his grandfather was dying, wouldn't you think he would be ready to answer the phone, as the next call might be to say that he had taken a turn for the worse or was dead.
If he did turn his phone off, seriously, did his staff not have phones? were they not on the alert to answer the phone?

Slight correction, it was the Santa Barbara Co. Sherrif's Department who were tasked with contacting Prince Harry. They are the law enforcement agency for Montecito and the county.

Word of Prince Philip transitioning / dying would be something that the BRF would take pains to not have leaked before the official announcement, so even if for some reason The Queen, Charles or whomever had the phone numbers of the housekeeper or the security gate, I doubt that they would call them to tell them to rouse Harry.

IIRC the word went from the embassy to one or two local law enforcement agencies with the local law enforcement going to Harry's home. To me that would be the plan, call Harry (other royal) and if he/they cannot be contacted, then from there contact the embassy.

Prince Philip died three weeks after being released from the hospital and had been in frail health. Yeah, I can see the argument that Harry should have kept his phone on or made some other arrangement for him to get immediate word, but I personally am not too put out by the way that he got word of his grandfather's death. Now his actions on the day The Queen died, while there may be some details that have not been disclosed, is very questionable IMO.

Really? DO they know that he knows zilch about royal history and life in general?

Lol- that was my first thought. Harry doesn’t know anything. And- I sure don’t see him bothering to research. I mean- what would he say that would be a value add? Or does his mere presence cut it so people will watch that station out of curiosity?

IDK why it didn’t occur to me until yesterday that commentating about the coronation would be another money making opportunity for them.

Anyone think Harry could make it through the commentary like a mature adult and not take shots?

Last edited:
Word of Prince Philip transitioning / dying would be something that the BRF would take pains to not have leaked before the official announcement, so even if for some reason The Queen, Charles or whomever had the phone numbers of the housekeeper or the security gate, I doubt that they would call them to tell them to rouse Harry.

IIRC the word went from the embassy to one or two local law enforcement agencies with the local law enforcement going to Harry's home. To me that would be the plan, call Harry (other royal) and if he/they cannot be contacted, then from there contact the embassy.

Prince Philip died three weeks after being released from the hospital and had been in frail health. Yeah, I can see the argument that Harry should have kept his phone on or made some other arrangement for him to get immediate word, but I personally am not too put out by the way that he got word of his grandfather's death. Now his actions on the day The Queen died, while there may be some details that have not been disclosed, is very questionable IMO.

What it does show is that the family kept trying to contact him. They didn't give up after one attempt.

I am assuming that what Harry said is correct regarding the number of missed calls, he has been confused about details before, but I would have thought that he would have complained if he didn't think they had tried hard enough to get a hold of him.

Once again playing devils advocate, that is twice now, does he actually say at any time either in the book or in the subsequent interviews that he found out about the queens death from the news report on his phone, and not from the family, or does he just comment that he saw the news flash on the phone.

Harry and Meghan have a way of wording things which leads you down a road only when you get there it turns out that is not what they actually said, and it is you that has got it wrong not them.

Why did Meghan not phone him, why did she text him to call her.

There are gaps in the story , which we might never find out, the family had 3 hours to reach him before the public announcement , she had probably died before he even stepped on his plane.
Did he answer his phone? Was he still annoyed that Meghan was not with him, did he know by then that Kate was not travelling to Aberdeen.

I think it is very obvious that he did not feel that he was that bothered about knowing about Phil dying.. though he knew it would happen soon.

This morning's papers are reporting that CBS and NBC have both offered Harry megabucks deals to commentate on the Coronation for them. So, even if he doesn't go, he may well be causing controversy somewhere else.
Wow, I’ll bet this is what he’ll do due to the $$$. Should that happen at least there wouldn’t be Sussex drama in the UK during the coronation. But I agree with Denville that the network would not be getting a royal historian in any way, shape, or form:ROFLMAO:

Wow, I’ll bet this is what he’ll do due to the $$$. Should that happen at least there wouldn’t be Sussex drama in the UK during the coronation. But I agree with Denville that the network would not be getting a royal historian in any way, shape, or form:ROFLMAO:

True. It just means for those of us Americans who want to watch and not see his face or hear his “commentary”- we’ll have to pointedly go in another direction to watch. Such as myself. (I’m presuming we’re talking about US networks.)

Plenty of people would watch said network just to hear what he says. It’s a good idea for the network. Can he behave? What will he say? American audiences probably won’t know the level of his cluelessness anyway.

Another poster said that, if this happens, it seems like he’s “hijacking” Charles coronation. Even when he’s not attending. Yeah. The upside would be- no Sussex drama during the coronation, and the family won’t have to be around him or Meghan. (I can’t imagine William, in particular, is in any hurry to have to interact with Harry or Meghan.)

Last edited:
True. It just means for those of us Americans who want to watch and not see his face or hear his “commentary”- we’ll have to pointedly go in another direction to watch. Such as myself. (I’m presuming we’re talking about US networks.)

Plenty of people would watch said network just to hear what he says. It’s a good idea for the network. Can he behave? What will he say? American audiences probably won’t know the level of his cluelessness anyway.

Another poster said that, if this happens, it seems like he’s “hijacking” Charles coronation. Even by not not attending. Yeah. The upside would be- no Sussex drama during the coronation, and the family won’t have to be around him or Meghan. (I can’t imagine William, in particular, is in any hurry to have to interact with Harry or Meghan.)
Erin9, after laughing at the clever posts upthread about what Harry would say as a commentator, my first thought was wondering if I can watch BBC live during the coronation so that I wouldn’t have to watch Harry on US TV :unsure:

Another varied recollection?

Prince Harry's army instructor says story in Spare book is 'complete fantasy'

I've read and watched many of "dramatisation" of real events/history and until now I'm under impression that it's usually called "fiction based on true story/real events".

Well then, if this book is a memoir, could Netflix's The Crown be claimed as documentary?

Why does none of this surprise me? :lol:

Harry's chickens continue to come home to roost, he's going to need a bigger coop :D

IDK why it didn’t occur to me until yesterday that commentating about the coronation would be another money making opportunity for them.

Anyone think Harry could make it through the commentary like a mature adult and not take shots?

My first thought was you meant alcoholic shots.

Then I thought that would be the only way I would tune in to watch him commentate.

My first thought was you meant alcoholic shots.

Then I thought that would be the only way I would tune in to watch him commentate.

lol- I’m with you. That’s the only way I could watch him.

I wouldn’t put it past Harry to not be sober though. I mean- for all his ranting- being royal is still obviously important to him. (Note the title response to Anderson Cooper, the monogrammed doormat- that will never not be funny to me.)

Even if he’s choosing not to attend-fact of the matter is eventually the only thing that will be remembered regarding him is he wasn’t there. Not that he got paid to do something else. Or just opted out. Or didn’t get invited. Or whatever reason- if he’s not there.

The coronation, it goes without saying, is about as royal an event as you can get. Oh- and is Meghan just going to be sitting on the sofa at home? Doing nothing?

*If* this happens Harry as a "Coronation Commentator" it might be comedy gold.
Along with whoever The US Station Broadcasting it would be of the "Big Three". NBC, ABC or CBS, they *usually* have a Brit alongside too. A knowledgeable and credible person, familiar with The People and Ceremony they are covering.

It would be interesting to see the interaction between say Tina Brown, who works as a CBS Royal Correspondent, if She was reporting alongside Prince Harry and he made some ridiculous or wrong remark. Which is entirely within the realm of possibility.

I would bet Meghan would insist on being there too, to keep Harry from going off track too. She could grab his arm in the death grip as a warning. " not to go there "....... Interesting that it falls on Archie's Birthday too.

Personally I'm hoping no Sussex's attend at the Coronation. This is such Cultural Touchstone and it does not need the disruptive and divisive Sussex's causing distress to the Family and Public on such a historic day of celebration.

Do you think that networks will really want him? Even if the audiences dont know how little H knows, someone in the Network will know.. and surely they wotn want to have an embarrassingly foolish commmentary?

Lol- that was my first thought. Harry doesn’t know anything. And- I sure don’t see him bothering to research. I mean- what would he say that would be a value add? Or does his mere presence cut it so people will watch that station out of curiosity?

I think the networks believe more people would watch - and they may be correct. And no, I don’t think he would give up the opportunity to take some cheap shots.:ermm:

lol- I’m with you. That’s the only way I could watch him.

I wouldn’t put it past Harry to not be sober though. I mean- for all his ranting- being royal is still obviously important to him. (Note the title response to Anderson Cooper, the monogrammed doormat- that will never not be funny to me.)

Even if he’s choosing not to attend-fact of the matter is eventually the only thing that will be remembered regarding him is he wasn’t there. Not that he got paid to do something else. Or just opted out. Or didn’t get invited. Or whatever reason- if he’s not there.

The coronation, it goes without saying, is about as royal an event as you can get. Oh- and is Meghan just going to be sitting on the sofa at home? Doing nothing?
I think Meghan would make sure she is part of the commentary. And hey, maybe she would do some real research this time. Seriously, should he/they be commentators, it would be a great opportunity to begin rehabilitating their image in the US at least - if they did a proper job instead of a whine fest

I think Meghan would make sure she is part of the commentary. And hey, maybe she would do some real research this time. Seriously, should he/they be commentators, it would be a great opportunity to begin rehabilitating their image in the US at least - if they did a proper job instead of a whine fest

I doubt if Harry has the knowledge to do a proper commentary, and he's now IMO too much away in his own little world to make an effort to learn.

Seriously, should he/they be commentators, it would be a great opportunity to begin rehabilitating their image in the US at least - if they did a proper job instead of a whine fest

This would be the smarter play, tbh. If they were to comment knowledgeably and respectfully, then they gain back the 'wouldn't they be an asset to the monarchy' sympathy that Spare has cost them. Right now they need all the help they can get.

Denville, unfortunately that ship has sailed in American Media regarding a Guest Correspondents "knowledge and credibility" a long time ago. Its ALL about selling commercials for big money and getting viewers to turn in. RATING WINNERS is all they care about.

We, (well most here) know just how precious little Harry "knows" about his Families OWN history, let alone the cultural and historical significance of Royal Events. I would bet my last dollar he couldn't tell anything about The Hundred Years War or who the Players were in The War of the Roses. I mean JUST even the rudimentary basics.

So *if* one of our networks CAN get Prince Fredo and Lady Macbeth Meghan to provide insight and *supposed* information on Coronation Day, in a VERY friendly and supportive setting they will try.

I'd rather have them here in the States, than causing pain to the Family and British-Commonwealth People with a hypocritical attendance at Coronation Events.
Harry , if he is a Commentator will probably be making passive-aggressive statements and Meghan would be, I'm afraid *somewhat* dismissive of the glory and significance of it all. If it comes to be, I hope they fail.
For all the pain they have caused.

Last edited:
but it seems that a lot of people are getting fed up wiht H in the US, so why would people put on the TV to see him? Esp when i think it is very possible that unless he is reined in firmly, he will do an embarrassingly bad commentary.

Also, they could bring along birthday boy Archie ~ Cake! Balloons! Swooning of their fan base! Win-Win for the family?

This would be the smarter play, tbh. If they were to comment knowledgeably and respectfully, then they gain back the 'wouldn't they be an asset to the monarchy' sympathy that Spare has cost them. Right now they need all the help they can get.

They can't comment knowledgeablely and respectfully, though — they have neither knowledge or respect!

Meghan is not qualified to be a royal commentator. She spend two less in that institution repeating "I didn't know this" " I didn't know that". From her interviews in her documentary, she barely studied British History or Monarchy in general, despite claiming to be so smart.
The first person on the street know as much as she does.

Meghan is not qualified to be a royal commentator. She spend two less in that institution repeating "I didn't know this" " I didn't know that". From her interviews in her documentary, she barely studied British History or Monarchy in general, despite claiming to be so smart.
The first person on the street know as much as she does.

Harry is just as unqualified as she is. Its clear from his book that HE knows less than a middlingly interested royal fan, if he's asked to become a commentator its because of his name.

Erin9, after laughing at the clever posts upthread about what Harry would say as a commentator, my first thought was wondering if I can watch BBC live during the coronation so that I wouldn’t have to watch Harry on US TV :unsure:
SkyNews will have it live on their YT channel, I'm sure. Failing that, Fox News will have Martha McCallum leading their coverage and she is so well-informed about the BRF and a true royalty fan that I've often wondered if she's a secret lurker here on TRF. And CNN will probably have Victoria Arbiter as part of their coverage, and she's got just as many good contacts within "The Firm" as Harry, probably better because she and her father haven't written vile, spiteful memoirs about their time working with the BRF.

We have good options to avoid whichever US network Harry and Meghan land on to provide their "color/expert commentary."

Last edited:
Has there ever been a memoir published by a public figure which has done such catastrophic damage to the reputation of its author? There probably has but I struggle to think of one.

I mean, this has been an utter disaster for Harry and, to a lesser extent, Meghan. Forget all the tabloid articles and the alleged negative stories "leaked" to the British press by his family over the years. None of that did as much damage to Harry's reputation as his own unfiltered words have done.

I'll admit, I didn't see that coming. One can only imagine the rage and indignation in Montecito. In the aftermath of this book, in both the US and the UK, their public support has never been lower.

If you'd told me in 2018 that Harry, with polls showing 73% of Brits had a favourable opinion of him, would one day be less popular than Camilla(!) I would have told you to seek urgent medical help (not from Harry's therapists though, the evidence suggests they're really not very good). Even the woke Gen Z appear to be over them.

I expect we'll hear from the Sussexes that this is all the fault of the evil, racist British press/BRF/Brexiteers etc. Perhaps they'll try and throw the ghostwriter or the publisher under the bus as they've done following other car-crash interviews. But the truth is, the only discussion of this book between my self and my friends and colleagues (all under 40, most in their 20s) has been laughing at extracts from the audiobook version. Not the press's interpretation of it, Harry's own words spoken his own voice.

He has no one to blame but himself.

well its not exactly the same, but Diana's tapes that she made with Peter Settelen revealed a lot of Di's unhappy angry side and her flaws. However, I dont know if it really damaged her reputation as such. BUt it was a case that she confirmed from her own mouth that she had done or felt a lot of angry stormy feelings and actions...
Of course she didn't intend these tapes to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom