"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the public information, the timeline was about:
12.45 pm: first statement about queen's health
1 pm: Confirmation that Charles and Camilla are on route to Balmoral
3.10 pm: Death of Queen Elizabeth II
4 pm: Arrival at Aberdeen Airport of Edward, Sophie, Andrew and William
4.30 pm: PM informed of queen's death
5.15 pm: Arrival at Balmoral of Edward, Sophie, Andrew and William
6.30 pm: Announcement of queen's death (so, that would be the time BBC would be running the story)
6.30 pm: Arrival of Harry at Aberdeen Airport
7.45 pm: Arrival of Harry at Balmoral

Why would it take Harry an extra half hour to get to Balmoral versus his relatives? Or even 15 minutes.

Prince Harry said in his book when he arrived at Balmoral Charles, Camilla, and William was not there. They were at Birkhall (I had never heard that before until the book so this is interesting they must have left at some point after and came back) and were greeted by Princess Anne. Later that night the family had Dinner at Balmoral. So Harry had to arrive by at least 7.

I feel like there might be missing context here in this part of the book. I have a hard time believing Harry found out after the Prime Minister was told at 4:30.

Last edited:
Looking at this timeline, William, Andrew, Edward and Sophie were in the air and Harry was still in London when The Queen died at 3:10 PM. Now of course when your mother dies you may need some time to process, so I would not expect those with her to start making notifications at 3:15 PM.

Interestingly Harry's flight had not left when the PM was notified. I don't know if Harry was incommunicado or what was going on before Harry's flight took off. I also find it notable, if his version is to be believed, that Harry chose to check the BBC's website rather than calling his wife back, checking for messages from his family or calling his father.

Last edited:
Prince Harry said in his book when he arrived at Balmoral Charles, Camilla, William, and Catherine were not there. They were at Brickhall (I had never heard that before until the book so this is interesting they must have left at some point after and came back) and were greeted by Princess Anne. Later that night the family had Dinner at Balmoral. So Harry had to arrive by at least 7.

I feel like there might be missing context here in this part of the book. I have a hard time believing Harry found out after the Prime Minister was told at 4:30.

Catherine remained at Adelaide Cottage that day. I am surprised that Harry claimed that she was there.

Why would it take Harry an extra half hour to get to Balmoral versus his relatives? Or even 15 minutes.
As I recall it was very rainy in that part of Scotland that day. That may have impacted Harry's travel from the airport to Balmoral.

Catherine remained at Adelaide Cottage that day. I am surprised that Harry claimed that she was there.

You are right. Sorry that was my mistake. I went back and looked. He ask where "Pa, Willy, and Camilla" were and Anne said they went to Birkhall.

Kudos to Anne for speaking to him. As for the instructor, he's the 3rd person I've found who has come out to dispute his account.

Is that the series that Jacinda Ardern recorded an episode. If it is she has came out and said it was filmed 2019, and had nothing to do with Harry and Meghan when she became involved.
Yes, this is the one. I remember reading that quote from Ms. Ardern. Apparently all of the interviews were older and H & M introduced the interviews done by someone else.

I'm up to page 28. It's an odd book, with a stream-of-consciousness style.

I'm not sure Ludgrove School will be pleased to see Harry's asides about the proliferation of lice at their pricey school.

His callous and mean talk of Pat the matron is unforgivable. This guy is almost 40 years old and styling himself as some kind of humanitarian? It's not like he wrote this book 20 years ago.

It didn't. While these are not the exact times and especially at the airport there is a difference in landing vs arrival, in both cases it took about 1 h 15 minutes. The drive is known to be about an hour, so that makes sense as some 'handling time' at the airport would be needed before they were off on their way to Balmoral.

4.00 to 5.15 vs 6.30 - 7.45.

Last edited:
I'm up to page 28. It's an odd book, with a stream-of-consciousness style.

I'm not sure Ludgrove School will be pleased to see Harry's asides about the proliferation of lice at their pricey school.

His callous and mean talk of Pat the matron is unforgivable. This guy is almost 40 years old and styling himself as some kind of humanitarian? It's not like he wrote this book 20 years ago.
Honestly, I can envision Harry just talking willy nilly into a recorder, and then sending it to the ghostwriter to let him turn it into some sort of narrative. Anything that is literary or uses erudite language surely comes from the ghostwriter. :D

More from the same poll by Redfield & Wilton:
Meghan Markle Is Less Popular in U.S. Than Queen Camilla

(...)

The Duchess of Sussex had a net approval rating of -13 and Camilla is at -8 following a survey of 2,000 eligible U.S. voters by Redfield & Wilton on Monday. The data was collected six days after the publication of*Prince Harry's memoir, Spare.

The Duke of Sussex was not far behind, at -7, after his book publicity tour and the couple's recent Netflix docuseries, Harry & Meghan, appeared to collapse their U.S. popularity.

As recently as December 5, Harry was at +38 and Meghan at +23, far outstripping Camilla, who was at -2, according to Redfield & Wilton's polling.

(...)

Not only have the couple's ratings slumped in relation to Camilla's, but their approval rating is in negative territory among 18- to 24-year-olds, a demographic they have directed much of their post-royal messaging toward.

(...)

I can't find the detail (demographics, etc) of this poll other than that it's conducted on January 16 among 2000 US citizens.

Similar poll by YouGov for comparison (conducted on January 12- 17 among 1,000 US citizens)

Americans are less likely than Britons to see Harry's recent actions as financially motivated

Detail of the poll result (pdf)

(...)

When asked about nine individual members of the royal family, Americans are more likely to say they hold favorable than unfavorable views of six of them. Among the most likely to be viewed favorably are Prince William (53% favorable, 25% unfavorable) and Princess Catherine (48%, 18%).

While Prince Harry (47% favorable) and Meghan Markle (44%) certainly have their fans among the American public, there is also a significant faction of people with unfavorable views of them (34-36%). The same is true for King Charles III, who is about as likely to be viewed favorably (38%) as unfavorably (40%).

The King's wife, Camilla, is more likely to be viewed unfavorably (45%) than favorably (28%), as is Prince Andrew (47% vs. 25%).

(...)

Comparing our most recent results to a poll conducted a month ago in December, we find that opinions of all royal family members have worsened. Looking at each person's net favorability rating — that is, the share of people who view them favorably minus the share who view them unfavorably — we find an 11-percentage-point dip in Prince Harry's rating and an 8-point dip in that of Meghan Markle.

(...)

Meanwhile, by IPSOS (conducted between January 11-12 among sample of 916 consist of 379 Gen Zers and millennials, 266 Gen Xers, and 271 baby boomers and older.

A quarter of Americans say Prince Harry is their favorite royal

Detail of the poll result (pdf)

(...)

When asked which members of the British royal family they like most, a plurality (25%) of Americans say they like Prince Harry, followed by Princess Kate Middleton (22%), Prince William (17%), Duchess Meghan Markle (12%), and King Charles III (8%).*(...) Americans who are baby boomers or older are more likely to say they like Prince William or Princess Kate Middleton the most versus Gen Xers or millennials and Gen Zers.

Without making respondents choose between family members, though, nearly the same amount of Americans has a favorable opinion of Prince Harry (41%) versus Prince William (40%). More Americans (47%), however, say they have a favorable perception of Princess Kate Middleton, who also tops favorability for Duchess Meghan Markle (35%) and King Charles III (25%). Of note, baby boomers and older are more likely to have a favorable opinion of Prince William (49%) or Princess Kate Middleton (57%) than Gen Zers and millennials (33% and 43%, respectively). Additionally, Americans with children in their household (53%) are more likely to have a favorable opinion of Prince Harry than those without (35%).

(...)

Interestingly for Ipsos poll the result change when the question was "Which of the following members of the Royal Family, if any, do you like the most? Select up to three" (in which Harry is the most popular) compare to when being asked with "And how favorable or unfavorable are your opinions and impressions of each of the following members of the British Royal family?" (in which Catherine tops it). Ipsos has the smallest samples amongst the three and unlike the other two, Ipsos doesn't make comparison to the previous poll (maybe the don't have one to compare).

Borrowing Victoria Arbiter's words in her latest article about this book: "there’s a difference between selling well and being well received". If the Sussexes' goal is philanthropy or politic (if rumour about Meghan is to be believed), then they need to change their PR strategy. However, if their goal is money, then they can keep their current PR strategy and go full speed on Kardashian's route. And in term of coronation, instead of attending it maybe they can find US TV stations who can offer considerable deal to have them as commentators.

Last edited:
Wow! I was aware that the British Consulate in Los Angeles had to contact Santa Barbara Co. Sherrif's department to send a deputy to the house. The officer had to ask him to check his phone.

So that story is true? Harry knew his grandfather was very ill, yet he didnt answer his phone?

So that story is true? Harry knew his grandfather was very ill, yet he didnt answer his phone?

Wasn’t it the middle of the night. It was around 5am LA time when the announcement was made here. I think Harry had just left the part out that he had to be woken up to check his phone. It may have been turned down or in another room. I never have my mobile in my room at night.

32 missed calls over night. Only one possibility really. And in most cases, where the world medias are t invilved people would wait until the morning.

So no I don’t believe the story of not knowing about the Queens death until it was publicly announced. If they had to announce it they would have radioed the pilot.

Wasn’t it the middle of the night. It was around 5am LA time when the announcement was made here. I think Harry had just left the part out that he had to be woken up to check his phone. It may have been turned down or in another room. I never have my mobile in my room at night.

32 missed calls over night. Only one possibility really. And in most cases, where the world medias are t invilved people would wait until the morning.

So no I don’t believe the story of not knowing about the Queens death until it was publicly announced. If they had to announce it they would have radioed the pilot.
Given that he knew his grandfather was dying, you would not expect him to turn off his phone at night. and even if he did surely he has staff who can answer the phone at night and who could then have woken him

Honestly, I can envision Harry just talking willy nilly into a recorder, and then sending it to the ghostwriter to let him turn it into some sort of narrative. Anything that is literary or uses erudite language surely comes from the ghostwriter. :D
Well going by the bit about West Abbey, the ghostwriter is no Shakespeare. Its clear that the bit about all the death in the Abbey is clearly from the writer, but it is fairly rambling.

Maybe, or maybe they thought if he was away from a life he hated so much and living more quietly (like his original wish to go to Africa), that would be better for him?

Unfortunately Harry and/or Meghan hasn't shown much interest in the second part.

I dont know. They knew him better than hte public and probably knew of many outbursts that were covered up, and Im sure they realised that Meghan wasn't interested in a quiet life, in Africa or the country somewhere, even if Harry thought that was what he wanted. Im sure tehy guessed that the going to Canada was a blind, and must have worried that H would be drawn into public life, to make money, and it would put more strain on his already wobbly psyche. I wonder if he is using drugs again becuase life in the US isn't as happy as he thought it would be.

They may do them together. People do. People live their whole lives with drug habits.

As for the phone…who knows. If they have a landline or what. I wouldn’t think too much about it. These things happen.

According to reports at the time, the LA police had to call at Harry's house because no one was answering the phone... the British Embassy and Palace could not get hold of him. H knew that his grandfather was dying, wouldn't you think he would be ready to answer the phone, as the next call might be to say that he had taken a turn for the worse or was dead.
If he did turn his phone off, seriously, did his staff not have phones? were they not on the alert to answer the phone?

This morning's papers are reporting that CBS and NBC have both offered Harry megabucks deals to commentate on the Coronation for them. So, even if he doesn't go, he may well be causing controversy somewhere else.

This morning's papers are reporting that CBS and NBC have both offered Harry megabucks deals to commentate on the Coronation for them. So, even if he doesn't go, he may well be causing controversy somewhere else.

Really? DO they know that he knows zilch about royal history and life in general?

Denville, I am in total agreement. I think the individual tidbits- Harry does cocaine! Harry finds out about The Queen's death from the BBC! William recoils from Meghan's hug! Kate reluctant to lend lipgloss!- are all nothing much to see. The groundbreaking thing is that the entire book reveals that the Harry the world "knew" was a fabrication.

For someone who detests "the Institution's" ability to spin stories, he surely benefited from it perhaps more than anyone.

Certainly shows him as very stupid and ungrateful. He's claimed that the RF collaborate with the press to make themselves llook good and that they used HIM as the bad guy to make the other royals look good.. and the truth seems to be that they spent a lot of time and brain power making HARRY look as good as he did.

Well, I folded. I bought the book.

In the front, on the page with the publishing and copyright information, it is stated that Harry is donating 1.5 million dollars to Sentebale, and 300,000 dollars to WellChild, all from the proceeds of the book. Good for him.

well depending on what the book makes for him, that could be a lot or a litlte.

That's hilarious! Harry knows very little about the BRF's history and cares even less. What would he say? "Er, that's Pa and I think that's one of the big church guys saying some words. F*cking h*ll there's the fly, the bee and the wasp - tw*ts."

That's hilarious! Harry knows very little about the BRF's history and cares even less. What would he say? "Er, that's Pa and I think that's one of the big church guys saying some words. F*cking h*ll there's the fly, the bee and the wasp - tw*ts."

Maybe more like: "Look, the candle over there! See, it flickers. It's mum! My mother is there! She should be crown as queen, it's her right!"

Maybe more like: "Look, the candle over there! See, it flickers. It's mum! My mother is there! She should be crown as queen, it's her right!"
Yes, he would say that! :lol:

It would be hilarious. Oh please. Hopefully he doesn't do it though. For his sake.

Why did he hate them again? For doing their jobs. Everyone else is wrong. I'm so vain should be his theme song.

Last edited:
According to reports at the time, the LA police had to call at Harry's house because no one was answering the phone... the British Embassy and Palace could not get hold of him. H knew that his grandfather was dying, wouldn't you think he would be ready to answer the phone, as the next call might be to say that he had taken a turn for the worse or was dead.
If he did turn his phone off, seriously, did his staff not have phones? were they not on the alert to answer the phone?

May not have a landlines...or at least not one anywhere near the bedrooms. It's a huge house. I doubt they have much in the way of live in staff. Nannies maybe amd a housekeeper but why would the royals have their numbers. Or even the numbers of their security. If they couldn't get Harry and Meghan then the only option was the police. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom