Royal Family of Belgium: Current Events Part 5

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot for the fotos...
Mathilde is beautiful ans Claire amazing!

Mathilde looks stunning!! I love the dramatic fur around her neck and the 20-ties hat she is wearing. She resembles a picture of the (glamarous) Olga of Yougoslavia that I have. Very chique!
Good to see Queen Fabiola!

Mathilde looks great and the way she is dressed somehow reminds me a tad of Queen Astrid.
Claire looks nice too but I am not too fond of Paola's hat..

Beate said:
Mathilde looks great and the way she is dressed somehow reminds me a tad of Queen Astrid.
Claire looks nice too but I am not too fond of Paola's hat..
Just like me.
When I look for the first time on Mathilde's photos from today I thought that she somehow reminds me Queen Astrid.:)

I LOVE Princess Claire's buret (can't spell that word). Princess Mathilde in some way does looks like Queen Astrid.

Mathilde looks gorgeous and extremely elegant!!!
The hairdo is very pretty!
She is the Best princess!!!!

Belgian State Visit By Emir Of Qatar
King Albert and Queen Paola receive the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani, at Laeken Castle on November 16, 2006 in Brussels, Belgium.
Prince Philippe also attended the luncheon at Laeken Castle.

Photos from Getty images

wow Mathilde looks absolutely gorgeous. This is different then what were used to seeing from her and I like it.

Queen Paola is beautiful hat!!! Queen Fabiola is grand old lady to royal family Belgium!!! Princess Mathilde is beautiful all princess dress!!!

What is the appropriate title of Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde: TRH The Duc and Duchess of Barbant or Crown Prince and Princess of Belgium? And which is best used outside Belgium?

Thanks!!

sirmax said:
What is the appropriate title of Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde: TRH The Duc and Duchess of Barbant or Crown Prince and Princess of Belgium? And which is best used outside Belgium?

Thanks!!
Courtsey title of Duke of Brabant is traditionally assigned to the mean Crown Prince. Mathilde gained the courtesy title HRH Dss of Brabant the style that she uses, in addition to her title of Pss of Belgium, conferred upon her before her wedding. TRH Duke and Duchess of Brabant.

I agree with magnik -- I believe Catherine addressed this somewhere, that is, that there is no title of Crown Prince/Princess in Belgium -- the crown prince/princess are known as the Duke and Duchess of Brabant. This is much like England, where the C P/C Pss are the Prince and Princess of Wales, and Spain, where the C P/C Pss are the Prince and Princess of Asturias. What I wonder is where is the title Crown Prince used? Sweden refers to the Crown Princess as does Norway -- what about Japan, Denmark, etc. -- does anyone know?

Emily said:
I agree with magnik -- I believe Catherine addressed this somewhere, that is, that there is no title of Crown Prince/Princess in Belgium -- the crown prince/princess are known as the Duke and Duchess of Brabant. This is much like England, where the C P/C Pss are the Prince and Princess of Wales, and Spain, where the C P/C Pss are the Prince and Princess of Asturias. What I wonder is where is the title Crown Prince used? Sweden refers to the Crown Princess as does Norway -- what about Japan, Denmark, etc. -- does anyone know?

Denmark: Crown Prince(ss)
Norway: Crown Prince(ss)
Sweden: Crown Prince(ss)
Japan: Crown Prince(ss)
Morocco: Crown Prince & consort
Jordan: Crown Prince(ss)
Netherlands: Prince(ss) of Orange
Belgium: Duke / Duchess of Brabant
Spain: Prince(ss) of Asturias
England: Prince(ss) of Wales
Luxembourg: Hereditary Grand Duke / Hereditary Grand Duchess
--------------------------------
Greece: Crown Prince(ss)
Italy: Prince(ss) of Naples, Venice or Piedmont (or a combination)

Last edited:
This is definately one of my favorite outfits from Mathilde. She looks like a silent film star!:) :)

Prince Laurent + Princess Astrid of Belgium
20 Anniversary of the law on animal protection.
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM:
From L-R, Chamber chairman Herman De Croo (L), Belgian Prince Laurent and Princess Astrid pictured in Belgian senate in Brussels Friday 01 December 2006, during a colloqium for the 20 anniversary of the law on animals protection.
BELGA PHOTO YVES BOUCAU

http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lauastab6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but any engagements for Claire?

Can anyone shed any light on this, somewhat (alarming?) news...
Fake news bulletin widely condemned
Thu 14/12/06 - On Wednesday evening the Francophone public broadcaster RTBF interrupted its normal programmes with the news that Flanders had declared independence. The fake news bulletin formed part of a docufiction programme that caused uproar both and north and south of the linguistic divide.
The docufiction programme was aired on Belgium's main Francophone TV channel La Une. Many people were taken in by this broadcast reminiscent of Orson Welles's "War of the Worlds".
The programme included footage of a reporter standing outside the Royal Palace of Brussels and claiming that King Albert had left the country...
The rest can be found here...
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/english/details/061214_rtbf/index.shtml

The end of Belgium

I have always stated that the number one candidate for a republic was and is Belgium. Since in the 1980's the idea of a strong unitary Belgium with a forceful central state and government was left for the federal model with three regions (Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels Region), the centrifugal powers have started and now these seem unstoppable and out of control.

Since the separation from the United Netherlands (1830 de facto and 1839 de jure), initiated by the French-speaking bourgeoisie, there never was a great love lost amongst the 'Belgians' for their new nation 'Belgium'. Famous is the line by the author Geert van Istendael: "Sire, er zijn geen Belgen!" / "Sire, il n'y a pas de Belges!" ("Sire, there are no Belgians!").

As long as the programs did not call for violence, isn't just an exercise in free speech? Maybe Belgians would be better off split into two countries? Other countries have done so/are considering it (Canada, for one).

free speech does not include yelling fire in a crowded theater. to throw a country into turmoil and uncertainty is irresponsible in my opinion. and to wait 30 minutes is criminal. what about the reprecussions you can't calculate, there could have been a rush on the banks(effecting the economy), unrest in the streets, chaos. thank goodness the Belgians rose to the crisis and reacted calmly, but i'm sure there was an initial feeling of fear and want of information. i really think someone should be fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom