Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, those brooches of HM! How do I love them! I have bought two ressembling ones - kind of imitation - which make me very happy.

Well, I've never seen a collection of the Queen's brooches before, so I must say that was spectacular. Thank you KittyAtlanta for posting that link.

:king2: Recently, a school friend of mine said the following:
"Jewellery must not be real, beautiful it must be".

Kitty Atlanta thankyou for the 50 photos. Not only brooches but tiaras and necklaces as well. Quite up to date photos too. Fantastic gallery.
Loved then! which are the earings in 48?

Loved then! which are the earings in 48?

The image is not very clear because of the flash, but I think these are the floret earrings (I think from Queen Mary) that are often worn at the Garter ceremony.

The brooch is really wonderful indeed, but impossible to say which provenance it actually has.
The brooch was first worn in Northern Ireland in 2009 and worn again some times since, most notably on Day 1 Royal Ascot 2009 and the Welcome Ceremony for President Pratiba Patil of India at Windsor Castle.

The Queen has worn a new brooch previously Q Mary's, for the new portrait for The Scottish Parliament. see RJWMB

On page 112 Leslie Field's book, 3rd last line, she calls this brooch a quatrefoil set with diamonds and pearls with a centre cluster.

I think you got the wrong picture Joye. #28 in those pictures is the "Irish Blossom" which only appeared in recent years. The quatrefoil is indeed shown in the series but as #29.

Thank you all very much, it in indeed the Irish Blossom that I was talking about.

Yes Joye, the Daily Mail article says it was Qu Mary's but I don't remember seeing a photo of it. Does anyone know anything about this brooch? cheers in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Gill W. Good photo of Qu Mary wearing it as a hat brooch. Looks to be 1920s style do you think? Also wonder where it has been all this time. I'm sure I haven't seen it before QEII wore it at Holyrood house. Maybe in your extensive database you might find something about it.

Thank you very much Gill W. Good photo of Qu Mary wearing it as a hat brooch. Looks to be 1920s style do you think? Also wonder where it has been all this time. I'm sure I haven't seen it before QEII wore it at Holyrood house. Maybe in your extensive database you might find something about it.

This is the first occasion I've seen this one being worn, so I think somebody just had a rummage around to find something different - what a fun job!

Prince of Wales feather brooch

Not sure where to post this! I have posted my condolences for Elizabeth taylor on other thread. So here I want to say that she owned some important royal pieces which will go to auction. There is of course the fabulous Prince of Wales feather brooch. A magnificent piece which puts the others in the shade. Prince Charles bid fiercely for it at auction but missed out to Elizabeth Taylor who was on the phone.
This was the famous auction of the Duchess of Windsor 2 nd April 1987. The Duke of Windsor had it made for Wallis. And Prince Charles wanted it for Diana. Elizabeth Taylor said about the bidding; "It was a wild experience - very heady and intoxicating and dangerous." she says, remembering the $910,000 she spent. [including other pieces as well.] When the the auction began in Geneva, Taylor was linked to the auction by phone. "My kids were here and we were out by the pool,"she recalls. Ït was afternoon here, and when I won the bidding, I went around the pool just yelling, Yes! Yes!. It was a thrill.
She also said, "When i first saw it, I was with Richard. The Duke and Richard were both Welsh and we were all friends. When I admired this brooch [the Duchess] very sweetly said,'Well, I'll loan it to you so you can have it copied.' And I said, ' Oh I couldn't do that.' it was a sign of royalty."
After the Duchess died her jewels wen to auction. "I wanted it because of our friendship. It seemed almost predestined that I have this particular piece. It's as if I became its custodian."
So wouldn't it be great if soemone in the Windsor royal family were to buy it back.
Elizabeth Taylor also owned the fabulous La Peregrina pearl which belonged to Princess Zinaide Yussopov also with a fabulous history. I expect this will go for $1 million dollars because of its provenance. Richard Burton bought it at auction for $54,000 and had it set as a pendant in a pearl necklace.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if members of the BRF attempted to buy any jewels of Elizabeth Taylor, includng those with a royal provenance, should such a situation arise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely...A stunning piece from her great collection.

That's a real ornament; it's very pretty and matches the outfit excellently.

This is the Australian Hibiscus brooch - formerly property of the Queen Mother. A stunner ....

The Prince Albert sapphire has made another outing after some years safe in the vaults. I haven't traced it last year, so I think it has to be said it is a very weird sight.
I just saw the latest pictures of her visit to Cambridge. Also nice to see Lady Diana Farnham with her, another nice lady together with The Queen.

The Prince Albert sapphire has made another outing after some years safe in the vaults. I haven't traced it last year, so I think it has to be said it is a very weird sight.
I just saw the latest pictures of her visit to Cambridge. Also nice to see Lady Diana Farnham with her, another nice lady together with The Queen.

The brooch looks lovely!

The Prince Albert sapphire has made another outing after some years safe in the vaults.
Here is the brooch on its most recent foray out of the vaults.

pic cropped from larger image and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Prince Albert brooch.jpg
    Prince Albert brooch.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 303
HM wore the True Lovers Knot brooch today at the royal wedding. Any news about its provenance?

I would love to know more about the Queen's wedding day brooch as well, thank you Muriel, for giving its name. That's a start.

Leslie Field has basically no information on the brooch apart from identifying it as "Queen Mary's True Lover's Knot Brooch" and describing it as "A large diamond bow in a 'true lover's knot' design with scalloped edges and pendant tassels."

From the Royal Collection website:
The Lover’s Knot Brooch
"The brooch is set in gold and silver with brilliant-cut diamonds and the tail of each ribbon is made with two articulated joints to allow movement. The largest of five bow brooches in Queen Mary’s collection, it was bequeathed to The Queen in 1953."

picture: Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

It was Queen Mary's Lovers Knot, but at first sight, I thought it was something other, because the seen of the brooch on 29/04/11 was so "golden" and not sparkling as it was eg on Remembrance Day 2010 when HM The Queen used it as well?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276981&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1304091779
The Prince Albert sapphire is gorgeous and the blue colour matched that particular outfit perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom