Official Portraits of the Dutch Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love their portraits! very nice!

King Willem Alexander's pose is reminiscent of a 19th century gentleman and, I regret to say that, but it looks like the artist took away a few pounds from the king.

That is not unusual. Photoshopping, retouching, artistic freedom, it is of all time. I would urge to consider the size (almost double real life size), the location (high in a staircase), and the contralight (next to glass-in-lead windows) plus indirect lighting (big candelabras on the stairs) which have an effect on paintings. For such a distance it is not needed to have an ultra fine technique. It is different from seeing a portrait face à face in a salon or a museum. This important couleur locale which forms a symbiosis with the artwork can not be left out of the frame to get a good idea of these two portraits on that specific place.

the problem i have with some of the modern painter is that they try hard to make the portrait realistic and almost looks like a picture and while trying to be realistic it goes to the verge of looking more cartoonish we need more portrait like this one QEII if the royals wanted a realistc portrait they would had gone with photographed photo not a portrait .

I think the problem with some modern painters rather is that they create such UNrealistic, unresembling portraits, the models often look like monsters or, as Queen Margrethe once put it, like if she would like to eat children...:whistling:

oh dear....! :ermm:

Oh,well..it's an artist impression...or rather,these two Ans Markus and Beatrix are old friends.
Early 80's it was Ans Markus who designed the modern glass doors we know from Noordeinde Palace.

I believe you are referring to Marthe Röling, lucien. She did indeed create the glass doors in Noordeinde and did form a friendship with Beatrix and Claus. She made this portrait:

SFA001013784.jpg

And this one of Claus:

(from gahetna.nl, free of copyrights)

Ans Markus lives here on Prinseneiland. She makes a lot of portraits of women covering their faces and her work is popular with pearl-necklace ladies of a certain age. Her style is more conventional than Röling.

Last edited:
I believe you are referring to Marthe Röling, lucien. She did indeed create the glass doors in Noordeinde and did form a friendship with Beatrix and Claus. She made this portrait:

SFA001013784.jpg

And this one of Claus:

(from gahetna.nl, free of copyrights)

Ans Markus lives here on Prinseneiland. She makes portraits of women covering their faces and is popular with pearl-necklace ladies of a certain age. Her style is more conventional.

i searched both of them and i actually liked Ans Markus work especially this one i think it's a self portrait but i found another one she made for queen maxima and i have the same problem with it , too much makeup .

and when i searched Marthe Röling i found this beautiful portrait of queen beatrix .

Ofcourse,you are right...:flowers:...it's an age thing you know...

Ans Markus lives here on Prinseneiland. She makes a lot of portraits of women covering their faces and her work is popular with pearl-necklace ladies of a certain age. Her style is more conventional than Röling.

..of a certain age is right...:ROFLMAO:..

More photos of the photo session of King Willem-Alexander, Princess Beatrix and Princess Catharina-Amalia in December 2022 have been released to mark King Willem-Alexander's anniversary.

** Pic **

All photos can be found here:

** koninklijkhuis.nl - portretfotos **

They are dark and sombre, but escetically (or however you write that.....[emoji38]) beautiful.

A set of new portraits of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima has been released today, November 10:

** koninklijkhuis.nl: Nieuwe staatsiefoto’s Koninklijk Paar **

** Portrait 1 ** Portrait 2 ** Portrait 3 ** Portrait 4 ** Portrait 5 ** Portrait 6 ** Portrait 7 ** Portrait 8 **

There are new state photos of His Majesty the King and Her Majesty Queen Máxima. The state photos were taken on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of His Majesty the King this year.

King Willem-Alexander wears the Knight Grand Cross in the Military Order of William and the star of the Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion. Queen Máxima wears the Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion and the star of the Grand Cross of the House Order of Orange.

The photos were taken at the beginning of September by Anton Corbijn in the Gallery Hall of Noordeinde Palace. In addition to the state photos, Anton Corbijn also took an additional analogue black-and-white photo of the Royal Couple.

Last edited:
Oh these are lovely and classy too. I don’t like the black and white one- Maxima looks odd.

The queen looks so regal all that was missing were the white Opera Gloves.
Very high gloss photos!

Great pics. Like specially the black and white pic. We need something like this from the UK.

For a moment I thought Willem-Alexander's face had been photoshopped onto Maxima...

I guess I´m in minority but I dont like the new pictures, Maxima looks either extremly photoshoped or she has done something with her face, she looks not like "Maxima at all". Willem should shave his beard imo. It would be more appropriate to publish a official portrait of the Princess of orange, her sister or maybe the King and CA.

Among the king's decoration is his 'Elfstedenkruisje' (the Eleven City little cross) - the final one. It is he only one that he really had to work hard for: skating 200 km in a day.

I really like the B&W photo but the others lack warmth. Shame they didn't include a photo of the heir.

Wearing so well big jewels , the Queen should have worn an elegant Silk Dress.
I don't like the material of her Pink dress.
The King is Perfect and Royal . His Father should be proud of him.

Those pictures, especially Maxima, look odd. I don't think she looks airbrushed at all - the photos look to me like they weren't edited at all. The smile is not a smile - not Maxima at all. WA looks as unkempt as usual.

Back
Top Bottom