Marie-Chantal: Opinions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think she has the right to the title. The family is exiled from Greece, and the country now a republic. I don't quite understand why everyone still refers to her as "Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece". I recall reading a letter to Vogue about how, when magazines refer to her as such, its a disrespect to Greeks. I totally agree.

daisyonthewall said:
I don't think she has the right to the title. The family is exiled from Greece, and the country now a republic. I don't quite understand why everyone still refers to her as "Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece". I recall reading a letter to Vogue about how, when magazines refer to her as such, its a disrespect to Greeks. I totally agree.
I totaly agree,I think she's been spoiled

There are only ten families in Europe who are constitutionaly able to use royal titles (Belgium Denmark, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden & The UK). ALL other Princes and Kings use their royal titles by 'curtesy' of those who alow them in recognition of their families past. King Constantine and the members of his family ceased to be constitutionaly royal in 1974, however it is the custom of deposed monarchs who have either not abdicated or have been forced to abdicate illegaly (e.g. King Michael of Romania) to continue to use their previous titles for the rest of their life (you could look upon this as a divorced woman who retains her former husbands surname unless she specificaly changes it or re-marries). Therefore the GRF use of their royal titles is by an established international custom. If by personal feelings anyone does not wish to extend this curtesy to them, they should also refrain from refering to any deposed royal family by their royal titles... the Greeks do not have a monopoly on being offended if that is the case as France & Germany to name but a handfull are also all republics.

As for Princess Marie-Chantel or perhaps Mrs Marie-Chantel de Greece, whilst her photograph appears in society magazines, and HELLO & VANITY FAIR have produced light weight interviews with her, we as a public do not know a great deal about her. It is therefore unfair to judge the woman with any cast iron opinion. She may not behave like a princess and visit Red Cross centres on a frequent basis however as a deposed princess she is neither required nore in a position to do so. Being married to a family exiled from their home she can hardley do charitable work in Greece as many other non-ruling royal families do in their home countries. Marie-Chantel has had the privilaged background to financialy establish her self in industry at the top as oposed to crawling through the ranks, however this does not neccesserily make her lazy - as any mere commoner will use any advantage they have. The Millers have money, more money than the GRF, and if she buys a new dress every week, this is not being spoilt, this is spending what is hers to spend... the same can be said commoners who holiday twice a year as oposed to once a year or not at all... you make the most of your situation. There is no specific evidence to justifiably class her as spoilt or unfit to be a princess... she speaks several languages, however I am sure when she was at school it didnt cross her mind she should learn Greek instead of French and half way through her life she has a disadvantage that she is 'required' to learn a very difficult language (I know) when she only has her in-laws to teach her as unlike Anne-Marie she has not been able to emerce her self in Athenian society.

In my opinion, it is just a matter of doing important stuff for the community instead of appearing as a socialite. How unsignificant!

Splodger, I totally agree with your very fair and balanced view of the situation. M-C may not spend all her time following in the "good works" footsteps we like our royalty to follow (like Princess Diana who was pictured with babies, etc., every chance she got - and was loved for it). But being rich and titled doesn't make her a bad person. I know I wish I was rich and titled!

She obviously likes the fame which comes with her position, since she gives Hello etc interviews, but so do alot of people for a variety of personal and professional reasons which may have little to do with anything "significant". We're talking Hello magazine!

She's very pretty and dresses beautifully. Since her family doesn't get any money from the Greeks or anyone else, it's no one's business how she spends her money.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being rich or titled. It's about what you do with those riches and that title that ultimately count.

Marie Chantal seems to have been extremely blessed on both these counts: her father is a self-made man who lavished upon his three daughters the best education and holidays and other riches that life could offer. Then she married Crown Prince Pavlos who through their marriage provided her with a title but none of the duties, obligations or restrictions her other "counter parts" have to deal with such as actually carrying out royal duties in compliance with their title.

Marie-Chantal has the luxury of picking and choosing the charities she most cares about to devote her attention and money to, unlike some of the reigning princesses who may have to work with some charities they aren't as interested in. Yet Marie-Chantal doesn' seem to do much. More often you see her posing in VOGUE or HELLO or sitting in the front row of fashion shows.

I think M-C tends to lean toward the fame and limelight grabbing. She is involved in charities and such. But as a Princess people compare her to Mary, deceased Diana and other Princesses who seem to do more. She may be more involved than we think with charities. As long as she is doing what she wants and is an example to her children, especially her only daughter I say go for it.

I agree that how she spends her money since clearly none of it comes from the Greek government is no one's business. I know that I don't want anyone telling me what I can and cannot buy with my money.

However, I disagree with the assessment that Marie Chantal can't work for the people of Greece or help those who need to be helped because the GRF is in exile. Millions of people around the world raise money for charities that are not menat to benefit their own countries. For instance look at the effort being made around the world to help the victims of the tsunami in Asia. The money is going to Asia and many of the people who are making donations and having fundraisers have never even been to Asia or some of these countries and don't plan on going. However, they are helping from a distance, a long distance. Marie Chantal can help many people in Greece along with other members of the GRF much more if they chose to do so. They simply don't and I think that hard feelings and being in exile prevail in many instances.

RoseMary said:
I think M-C tends to lean toward the fame and limelight grabbing. She is involved in charities and such. But as a Princess people compare her to Mary, deceased Diana and other Princesses who seem to do more. She may be more involved than we think with charities.

I agree as well that whatever money she spends isn't an issue. But about her being involved in charities? Well, since she has never really shied away from publicity (though to her credit, she doesn't agressively seek it either), and yet, I have not come across any article about her involvement with any charities, I can only assume that she doesn't spend much, if any, time on things like that. I may be wrong, of course.

Not being a "real" princess, she doesn't have any real obligation to do things that other royals do (promote their country, raise awareness on issues and stuff like that). So, even if she doesn't do any of that, she is certainly not doing anything wrong. However, living as a mere socialite may not endear her to others. But I don't think she's after that, anyway.

Alexandria said:
I understand that Marie Chantal did receive private tutorage to learn Greek, but as she learned it as an adult and as Greek is one of the more difficult languages to speak no matter when you learn it, she does not speak it very well. I think that she can hold a simple conversation but no one would say that she speaks it fluently.

Unlike Mary and Alexandra who both learned Danish, or Maxima who learned Dutch upon their new roles, there was no real "push" for Marie Chantal to learn to speak Greek fluently. She does not need to make speeches as these other women do in their roles as princesses of reigning monarchies. And at the time of her marriage to Pavlos, the Greek royal family was not even permitted back into Greece. Now that they are and visit Greece often, with so many Greek people speaking English, Marie Chantal would certainly not experience any problems getting about the country or getting what she needs simply because she doesn't speak Greek.

Alexandria has been able to express what i was trying to say far more clearley. MC does speak a little greek but there is a total difference in learning to speak any language by tuition alone from either your family or a tutor as oposed to being emerced in an enviroment where everyone speaks the language.

With regards to being a princess and doing charitable works, she is active in the Anna-Maria foundation, however it appears she has chosen to devot her life to building a career as oposed to being a Crown Princess of a country she could not enter for a long time and may never have any official involvement in... If the Greeks chose never to recognise the GRF with either a constitutional status or as a special representative (eg Serbia) status, then the family will have to find alternative roles in life. Whilst I am sure Constantine has a healthy investment portfolio, with an ever increasing family to support, Pavlos' share will need suplementing. We seem to criticise MC for not behaving like a Princess and yet dont expect her to be Royal as the monarchy is deposed.

Splodger said:
..... We seem to criticise MC for not behaving like a Princess and yet dont expect her to be Royal as the monarchy is deposed.

Well said;) .... A lot of people on other boards discuss and criticise MC like they personally know her... Its ok to gossip and talk about rumours:rolleyes: ... but personally attacking ones character..... not good...

thats my 2 cents anyways....

Queens :cool:

One thing to remember is that Marie Chantal was brought up to act in a very high class way. To some people it is considered snobbish. Never having met her I cannot comment on her personality. If you read about the school LeRosey she attended, they have a certain standard of conduct they expect of people. You can see that in some of her interviews. I know people have thought I am a bit unfriendly b/c I don't talk all the time like most Americans. But I prefer to be quiet. I hate people who can't shut up because talking all the time drives me nuts. But I would say anything bad about the person. I have also been accused of looking mean. I have really high cheekbones and full lips, and sometimes crinkle my brow when I am thinking. So people assume that I am scowling. So I understand how people can jump to conclusions based on how you look.

I also believe Marie Chantal has been on several boards when she lived in New York of different charities. Now she has 4 children, even with a nanny I'm sure she wants to be with them.

Splodger said:
With regards to being a princess and doing charitable works, she is active in the Anna-Maria foundation, however it appears she has chosen to devot her life to building a career as oposed to being a Crown Princess of a country she could not enter for a long time and may never have any official involvement in... If the Greeks chose never to recognise the GRF with either a constitutional status or as a special representative (eg Serbia) status, then the family will have to find alternative roles in life. Whilst I am sure Constantine has a healthy investment portfolio, with an ever increasing family to support, Pavlos' share will need suplementing. We seem to criticise MC for not behaving like a Princess and yet dont expect her to be Royal as the monarchy is deposed.

Yes, that is the problem, for me anyway. She is often referred to as a "Princess", but yet does not act like one. I don't mean to say that she bahaves disgracefully or anything like that. There has never been any embarrassing/scandalous news about her as far as I know. Its just that she lives just like a socialite. She doesn't do the "work" we expect from royals. But the fact is that she is just a socialite, and not a royal, not officially anyway. And she certainly doesn't fall short as a socialite. But when magazines and other media keep referring to her as a princess, well, there are expectations that come with such a title. But her title isn't "real"....so....well....

There was a post recently in the bad-tempered princess thread about MC yelling at someone who did not refer to her as a princess. I don't know if that comes from a reputable source, but if it does, it certainly does not reflect well on her.

About her career, what does she do? I think I read an article in vogue about her starting a childrens' clothing company a few yrs ago. Does anyone know anything about this?

Queens said:
Well said;) .... A lot of people on other boards discuss and criticise MC like they personally know her... Its ok to gossip and talk about rumours:rolleyes: ... but personally attacking ones character..... not good...

thats my 2 cents anyways....

Queens :cool:

Well, we're here to discuss royals (and ex royals ;)). I'm just expressing my opinion, and it just happens my opinion of MC isn't all that positive. But I don't think negative opinions should be construed as an attack. This is a discussion thread afterall, not a let's-just-say-praises-for-this-person thread. None of us know any of the people we discuss about in this forum personally, but its ok to post adoring comments on someone that you don't know, but not ok to have a not-very-good opinion on these public figures?

I freely admit that whatever impression I have of MC is entirely based on magazines and other media. And thus, there is, of course, a huge possibility that she is an entirely different person than what I, or anyone else here, think she is.

And for the post below, no, my impressions of MC are not based on how she looks at all. I don't think she looks snobbish. Just a little old sometimes. She has pretty good fashion sense though. Her dresses never make me go "Wow!", but she can always be counted on to look presentable and graceful.

daisyonthewall said:
Well, we're here to discuss royals (and ex royals ;)). I'm just expressing my opinion, and it just happens my opinion of MC isn't all that positive. But I don't think negative opinions should be construed as an attack. This is a discussion thread afterall, not a let's-just-say-praises-for-this-person thread. None of us know any of the people we discuss about in this forum personally, but its ok to post adoring comments on someone that you don't know, but not ok to have a not-very-good opinion on these public figures?

I was not reffering to people on this board... it was the other boards like http://princessmariechantal.tripod.com/ ... which attack her character + family..

I also gossip too.;) ... with my good and bad comments....

toddles,
Q

Fashionista100 said:
Now she has 4 children, even with a nanny I'm sure she wants to be with them.

She actually has at least four nannies including a night nanny. If she wants to spend time with them then why all the help? :confused:

There really isn't much to think of her is what I believe. Some may percieve her to be a spoiled person, who happens to get whatever she wants in life. But that's just a fact that most of us are going to have to deal with, though Marie-Chantal may lead a charmed life, I'm sure that she suffers from many problems that it brings, and it isn't so perfect, because nothing ever is.

Marie-Chantal does do charity work, as many of you misunderstand, one of the organizations she's helped set up include the Pavlos and Marie-Chantal Foundation, which helps underpriviledged children. She's also the mother to 4 beautiful children, and though she may seem to be in the aid of nannies all the time, I wouldn't blame her. Taking care of 4 children on your own is not an easy thing to do, especially children who are so close in age. She has the financial capability of hiring nannies to help her with this job, so why shouldn't see? I absolutely see no fault in that.

Besides, though some of you may say that her children are taken care of by nannies 24/7, it doesn't mean she doesn't love them. I was taken care of by nannies round the clock and I'm close to my mother as ever. Children are smart cookies, they know how to differentiate between their natural mothers and though they may form a close bond with their nanny, their mother will always be the one they go running to at the end of the day. I know that was the case for me.

Last edited:
I think Her Highness is a very hard working woman as well!The fact that she attented the best schools,helps her to catch up with all the affairs of her family and to keep our royal Prince happy!!

Best schools? I think she attended a very undemanding school, and never attended college, did she?

Bubbette said:
Best schools? I think she attended a very undemanding school, and never attended college, did she?

She attended the Peak School for Primary School in Hong Kong, Le Rosey for her High School education and studied Art History in New York and in Paris (i believe)

I would agree that they are expensive schools, but that doesn't mean that they are not the best schools. Take for example, many percieve Le Rosey to be a ridiculously expensive school where children who lead a charmed life congregate. but trust me, it doesn't mean that it is a place where people come out spoiled, depend on their parent's money and unsuccesful in life. Sure you're bound to have a student or two who is like that, but it is impossible to go to private school where you don't have someone who is like that.

However, many students in that school in particular, come out of there with acceptance letters to fantastic universities around the world, come out with a love of learning and come out ferociously independant after living away from their parents from a young age, and they go onto univeristiy taking with them the experience that all boarding schools provide and go on to become hugely successful in life. just take a look at their list of alumni.

Besides, who is to say that expensive educations don't bring about the best education? After all, isn't that what so many of our own parents strived to provide for us? The best education possible? and in response, how would you know that she went to a very undemanding school? i dare to contradict your statement as a graduate from the same school that Marie-Chantal went to. During my time there I did not have an easy time there in terms of academics, the system of the I.B. is not an easy academic program for any student who follows it. No matter where in the world.

Therefore, I wouldn't go around judging the academic rigours of a school when you either a) haven't studied there yourself or b) don't know anyone has.

cuervo said:
I think Her Highness is a very hard working woman as well!The fact that she attented the best schools,helps her to catch up with all the affairs of her family and to keep our royal Prince happy!!

Just look at the fanfare that was put on for her own wedding. A tea party at Claridges thrown by the Queen, a cruise on the Danish yacht curtesey of her husband's maternal aunt, who happens to be the Queen of Denmark, her wedding was also the biggest congregation of royals since the wedding of the Queen of England herself.

The fact that she spends time with the Linleys, the Chattoes, the Taylors all of whom have young children and share her love of art (she was after all a art history student) shows their acceptance of her into the royal circle, and one cannot disagree one cannot buy her acceptance and approval by so many royal members of various royal families as a true Aegean asset.

agisele said:
The fact that she spends time with the Linleys, the Chattoes, the Taylors all of whom have young children and share her love of art (she was after all a art history student) shows their acceptance of her into the royal circle, and one cannot disagree one cannot buy her acceptance and approval by so many royal members of various royal families as a true Aegean asset.

I've never seen a picture of Marie-Chantal and Pavlos with the Linleys, Chattos or the Taylors. Can you provide any pictures?

I also find a friendship between Marie-Chantal and Lady Sarah Chatto quite surprising. Sarah is known for being a very quiet, behind the scenes individual and rarely comes out for royal occasions connected to her aunt the Queen. So I would find it difficult to see her and Marie-Chantal, who enjoys media attention, spending time together.

I am just as uncertain of Marie-Chantal and Serena Linley. I can however, at least see a connection between Marie-Chantal and Lady Helen Taylor, who both frequent similar fashion and art circles in London, but I still have never seen a single picture of them together.

agisele said:
However, many students in that school in particular, come out of there with acceptance letters to fantastic universities around the world, come out with a love of learning and come out ferociously independant after living away from their parents from a young age, and they go onto univeristiy taking with them the experience that all boarding schools provide and go on to become hugely successful in life. just take a look at their list of alumni.

Well, I'm not trying to discredit rich kids who got into prestigious unis. I'm sure many of them are super intelligent and hardworking, and deserve every bit of that success. HOWEVER, it is also well known that many top universities accept substandard, or good but unremarkable, students from rich families, in the hopes of large donations in the future, or simply to raise the profile of the school. Isn't that what they call "legacies" in the US?

Marie-Chantal

When Marie-Chantal was married, much was made of the fact she and her 2 sisters had married very well (1 to a Getty, I think, and 1 to the son of Diane von Fursternberg, another deposed royal, I think). Until then, I hadn't heard much about them. I've read a few interviews about Marie-Chantal since but they don't address much about Greece; they focus on her family and, yes, that children's clothing line. I can't recall if any of the proceed were going to any charity--in Greece or anywhere. The things she said were actually pretty bland. It's hard to know what to make of her as she keeps a fairly low profile except for appearances on the social scene. She obviously doesn't have to do anything for Greece but it would look good if she did--i.e., donating proceeds of her clothing line to a fund for social development or children's issues in her father-in-law's country of origin. I can't decide if she doesn't appear much in magazines because of her own choosing or if writers and editors simply feel there is not much of a story there. But one would hope, with her vast wealth, she would have some social conscience and do some "good works" to help those less fortunate. The only royals I've seen her photographed with are Princess Elena of Spain. The other salient question has to be what is her husband doing for his native land? Anything? I honestly don't know.

Back
Top Bottom