King Carl XVI Gustaf's Golden Jubilee Year 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Folk festival with dancing when the King is to be celebrated
There will be a big folk festival with dance, song and music in central Stockholm when the king celebrates 50 years on the throne.
- It will be something truly unique, says the First Marshal of the Court Göran Lithell.
The large party venues at the Royal Palace, Norrbro and Gustav Adolfs torg can attract up to a couple of hundred thousand visitors during the King's Jubilee weekend.
The First Marshal of the Court Göran Lithell is the Jubilee year's "party fixer". He has the overall responsibility for all arrangements around the throne jubilee. Lithell told that the celebration is concentrated on Friday and Saturday. But it starts already on 13 and 14 September, when organizations and companies will congratulate the King and hand over gifts at two receptions at the Royal Palace.
In the evening of Thursday 14 September, the King and his family are invited to a Jubilee performance at Drottningholm Palace Theatre. The salon will be filled with guests. But who is on stage is a secret for now.
On Friday, September 15, the Te Deum is held in the Royal Chapel. After that, it's time for the changing of the Guard at the Outer Courtyard and there will also be a musical tribute to the King. In the evening, royal guests, relatives, friends and representatives of official Sweden are invited to a Jubilee banquet in the Hall of State at the Royal Palace.
On Saturday 16 September, the royal couple begins the afternoon with a cortege through Stockholm by horse and carriage. The royal couple will also travel with the royal barge Vasasorden across the water to the Logårdstrappan, where they disembark.
Afterwards, a large Jubilee concert begins at Lejonbacken and Norrbro. It is the City of Stockholm that offers a musical journey through 50 years. The King is celebrated with song and music and everyone who wants to join can listen, entry is free. The speaker is Zinat Pirzadeh and the artists are accompanied by Johan Landqvist's Orchestra. The concert is broadcast live by SVT.
Artists
Lill Lindfors
Björn Skifs
Sabina Ddumba
Tomas Ledin
Loreen
Magnus Uggla
Molly Sandén
Peter Jöback
Molly Hammar
Daniel Adams-Ray
Sarah Nordenberg
Klara & Jag
The Royal Swedish Army Band
The concert begins with a jubilee march led by The Royal Swedish Army Band. The King's Song is sung and the Mayor of Stockholm Karin Wanngård brings out a common toast to the King that everyone can join in on.
The concert lasts for two hours and then it's time for a big dance party on Gustav Adolfs torg. There will be dancing to both live bands and DJs.
14.30–16.00 Procession and boat trip through the city
16.00–18.00 Jubilee concert at Lejonbacken
18.00–22.00 Dance party on Gustav Adolfs torg
Kungen 50 år på tronen – jubileumskonsert och dansfest _ Stockholms stad
Så ska kungen fira sin jubileumshelg - 50 år på tronen

The King will also give a Jubilee speech, broadcast at SVT on September 15 at 19.20.

Videos from the visit to Halmstad

The police are working intensively ahead of the King's Jubilee weekend after the terror threat level has been raised. On September 15 and 16, large crowds will gather at the castle. They are now planning for closures both on land and water.
Poliser och säkerhet vid kungens tronjubileum

SVT shows at SVT Play a three episode documentary "Kungen och jag" (The King and I) by Karin af Klintberg, based on her film "Kungen". Each episode lasts an hour.
The first episode will be shown on 3rd September
To be born a king
A personal portrait of Carl XVI Gustaf. For two years, filmmaker Karin af Klintberg has had the unique opportunity to closely follow the king in his life and work. It will be an unexpected meeting between two worlds and two generations. The king himself tells about his upbringing and about the task he can never escape from.

Second episode on 10th September
To be raised to be a king
The king himself tells about his upbringing and school years. For two years, filmmaker Karin af Klintberg has had the unique opportunity to closely follow Carl XVI Gustaf in his life and work. It will be an unexpected meeting between two worlds and two generations.

Third episode on 17th September
Life as a king
The king himself talks about everyday life as king and answers the question he himself is most tired of: What is it like to be king? For two years, filmmaker Karin af Klintberg has had the unique opportunity to closely follow Carl XVI Gustaf in his life and work. It will be an unexpected meeting between two worlds and two generations.
Kungen och jag _ SVT Play

Last edited by a moderator:
Svensk Damtidning has a short clip of princess Christina's interview at the documentary "The King's Innermost Circle" (Kungens innersta krets), which premieres on August 29 on Viaplay and TV3.

Princess Christina tells in her own words about the relationship with her little brother the King.
The documentary describes the time before the King was born as troubled, as the order of succession was that only sons were heirs to the throne. Then came King Carl XVI Gustaf. The "Haga princesses" continued to stand by the side of the throne and watch as their little brother assumed the great job of king over the land.
But for Christina, he is still a little brother, and she "is still his big sister", she says in the documentary.
Growing up, Christina was the sister, who was closest to the king. Over the years, she became one of his most important advisors.
Christina reveals now her nickname for her little brother.
- For me he is always Carl Gustaf, yes. Even "Usta". Or "Charlie" can also be his name when I get a little angry with him. But when I talk to other people I naturally say "the King" or "my brother".
Prinsessan Christinas intima avslöjande om relationen till kungen_ _Blir lite arg på honom_ _*Svensk Dam

Official trailer of the documentary

Last edited:
I presume Princess Benedikte will act as Regent in the absence of the Queen and F&M.
I assume that as well. Strangely enough it wasn't added to the calendar today.

I guess there is a possibility that the Danish (and Greek) Royals will use Kongeskibet in Stockholm.

Roger Lundgren was today at TV4 Nyhetsmorgon, to talk about his book "Kungen 50 år på tronen – en biografi" ("The King 50 years on the throne – a biography").

He describes the King's 50 years on the throne: "One event defines his whole life"
Roger Lundgren, court expert and author, releases a tribute biography in which he talks about the decisive moments in the King's life. This is to celebrate Carl XVI Gustaf's 50 years on the throne.
Han skildrar kungens 50 år på tronen_ ”En händelse definierar hela hans liv”

Nice to hear Anne Marie is going, gives me hope it won't be a Scandinavian only affair.

Nice to hear Anne Marie is going, gives me hope it won't be a Scandinavian only affair.

It will be interesting to see if she is invited as a 1st cousin and sister of the Queen of Denmark rather than a greek royal - or if its indeed going to be a big royal affair (wich i hope)

It will be interesting to see if she is invited as a 1st cousin and sister of the Queen of Denmark rather than a greek royal - or if its indeed going to be a big royal affair (wich i hope)

Yes lets hope it will be a grand royal affair and not limited to the Nordic kingdoms.

Yes lets hope it will be a grand royal affair and not limited to the Nordic kingdoms.

I suspect it will be a gramd affair, with royals across the world invited. No Swedish monarch has seen a Golden jubilee. Even the abstemious British invited overseas royals for the Golden and Diamond jubilee celebrations.

I suspect it will be a gramd affair, with royals across the world invited. No Swedish monarch has seen a Golden jubilee. Even the abstemious British invited overseas royals for the Golden and Diamond jubilee celebrations.

Yes exactly its the first ever Swedish Golden Jubilee!

The King is known for liking a good party. And I think he feels he missed out on one opportunity for his 75th birthday in 2021 during the pandemic.

Program on the last county visit to Karlstad at Värmland County on September 7.

10.10 Visit to the Central Hospital in Karlstad
10.45 Scenic presentation of Karlstad's history at Almentorget
11.15 Walk through the Residensparken
11.45 Jubilee lunch at the Residence
14.00 Walk to Stora torget
14.15 Visit to Stora torget and presentation of a memorial gift
15.00 Jubilee program in the Cathedral including speech by H.M. The King
Allt om Kungaparets jubileumsbesök i Värmland _ Länsstyrelsen Värmland

Well, Queen Anne-Marie, as a daughter of a swedish born Princess and granddaughter of a swedish King, which makes her a pretty close relative of King Carl Gustaf, might be an exception. But, because this is a milestone-jubilee, heads of state from other countries beyond scandinavia might have been invited as well...?

The Royal Palace sights will be closed 11–18 September due to the Jubilee celebrations.
Drottningholm Palace will be closed 7–19 September due to the Jubilee celebrations.
English - Kungliga slotten

Well, Queen Anne-Marie, as a daughter of a swedish born Princess and granddaughter of a swedish King, which makes her a pretty close relative of King Carl Gustaf, might be an exception. But, because this is a milestone-jubilee, heads of state from other countries beyond scandinavia might have been invited as well...?

Queen Anne-Marie is actually King Carl Gustaf's first cousin, so she counts as family. Ditto for Queen Margrethe.

I must say I am a bit disappointed that we are very close now to the main Jubilee events, but there has been no confirmation yet of attendance by foreign royals other than the Danes or the Greeks, who, as I said, are more like family members. I hope royal watchers do not end up disappointed again with a scaled-down gala dinner.

Last edited:
Unique conversations with the Swedish royal family in the documentary series Tronen on TV4
"Tronen" is a new documentary series in four parts that portrays the Swedish monarchy and its historical legacy. The documentary series contains historical accounts interspersed with unique conversations with members of the royal family. Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf is the longest-reigning monarch in Sweden and has sat on the throne for 50 years this year.
The documentary series portrays, and follows, above all, the King through four special episodes, the Succession of the Throne, Duty and Love, For Sweden in Time and Succession of the Throne. It is a documentary that, through conversations and unique retrospectives, shows the Swedish monarchy in a completely new way.
Tronen premieres September 4 on TV4 Play and TV4.
Tronen TV4_s presstjänst
Unika samtal med kungafamiljen i dokumentären Tronen - TV4

Episode 1
Princess Sibylla and Crown Prince Gustav Adolf have four daughters but no son yet, an heir to the throne. When Princess Sibylla finally gives birth to a son in Haga at the age of 38, the relief is great and the joy all the greater.

Episode 2
When Crown Prince Carl Gustaf meets Silvia Sommerlath in Munich in 1972, it clicks immediately. The wedding in 1976 is fairytale-like and the king is moved to tears when he re-watches clips. With Queen Silvia, the monarchy and royal love get a real boost.

Episode 3
The king is young and must find his role, and work and live according to the election language he himself formulated: "For Sweden – With the Times"". There will be some mistakes along the way; Norwegian seal hunting, New Year's speeches with fried sparrows are some examples of when there is a storm around the monarchy.

Episode 4
When Crown Princess Victoria is born, she is not heir to the throne. But in 1980 the crown is transferred to her from her brother Carl Philip. The attention surrounding our future regent is great and the expectations all the greater.
Tronen - Streama på TV4 Play

Last edited:
The Norwegian Court has confirmed the participation of the Norwegian Royal Family, but to be honest I don't really understand it.

King Harald and Queen Sonja, together with Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will attend the celebration on 14-15 September.

Crown Prince Haakon however has other engagements on 15 September, as the Council of State. So I guess he's only attending the banquet in the evening.

https://www.kongehuset.no/program.html?tid=27511&sek=26946

The Norwegian Court has confirmed the participation of the Norwegian Royal Family, but to be honest I don't really understand it.

King Harald and Queen Sonja, together with Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will attend the celebration on 14-15 September.

Crown Prince Haakon however has other engagements on 15 September, as the Council of State. So I guess he's only attending the banquet in the evening.

https://www.kongehuset.no/program.html?tid=27511&sek=26946

Perhaps he will fly to Oslo on Friday morning and then back to Sweden in the afternoon. Seems the engagements in Norway are all on Friday morning.

The Presidential Couple of Finland will also attend.

The press release states that the festivities will be attended by Nordic heads of state. Don’t know if that excludes other monarchs altogether…

Last edited:
The Royal Court publishes today about royal guests attending:
H.M. Queen of Denmark
H.M. King and Queen of Norway
H.E. President of Finland and his wife Mrs. Haukio
H.E. President of Iceland and his wife Mrs. Reid
T.R.H. Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark
T.R.H. Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway
H.M. Queen Anne-Marie of Greece and Denmark

https://www.kungahuset.se/arkiv/pre...04-gaster-vid-h.m.-konungens-jubileumsfirande

The way the statement is worded I now only expect the Scandinavians with Queen Anne-Marie as a special guest.

Press release from the Office of the President of the Republic of Finland
Presidential couple to attend King Carl XVI Gustaf’s 50th jubilee in Stockholm
President of the Republic of Finland Sauli Niinistö and his spouse Jenni Haukio will travel to Stockholm to attend the celebration of King Carl XVI Gustaf’s 50 years as Head of State of Sweden on 14–15 September 2023.
The programme will begin with a jubilee performance by the Royal Swedish Opera at Drottningholms Slottsteater in the evening on Thursday 14 September. On Friday 15 September, the presidential couple will attend the Te Deum service at the Royal Palace Church and watch the changing of the guard in the Royal Palace courtyard. The visit will conclude with a jubilee banquet hosted by the King and Queen at the Royal Palace.
Presidential couple to attend King Carl XVI Gustaf’s 50th jubilee in Stockholm - Presidentti

From TV4's "Tronen" documentary
The King and Princess Christina get to see a clip of their parents that they have never seen before.
The King's 50 years on the throne is recognized with a series of different documentaries and films about the monarch.
One of them is TV4's Tronen, where we get to see unique interviews with members of the royal family, and the King himself. It is a journey through the King's life and the path to the throne.
In the first episode, the King and Christina see a clip of their parents, who give a greeting to the people in English.
Christina smiles during the clip, and the King is visibly taken. Princess Sibylla and Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf look happy: "Both the princess and I, are very glad to soon be back in Sweden. I hope to soon see you all, where ever you all might be", he says, among other things, in the clip.
It turns out that neither Christina nor the King has seen the clip before.
- I don't think I've actually seen that sequence... No... Otherwise, you've looked, old photographs and albums and films. But I don't think I've seen that one, says the King, who is taken by what he just saw.
After all, there aren't very many sound recordings of their father, which they both note.
- Interesting to hear a voice you've never heard, says Christina.
- There are few of his voice performances that I have heard of, states the King.
Kungen får se klipp han inte sett på sina föräldrar _*Svensk Dam

In "Tronen", Victoria talks about the emotional meaning of living at Haga Palace in particular:
- Given that I haven't met my grandfather or my grandmother, it was somehow to get a little closer to them, she says.
Victoria settles down, and gets to see clips of her grandfather who died when the King was only nine months old. Hereditary Prince Gustaf Adolf wanders around the same premises at Haga that Victoria sits in, and when he stands by the balcony, she discovers that it is exactly where she is now pointing.
She goes on to tell about the important family history contained within the walls of Haga Palace.
- Where they got to be with their family and really form a family and be in this place where my father was born and his four older sisters.
And it is clear that she is grateful to get these clips of her family, and her beloved Haga.
- That's wonderful. How fun. I've never seen it.
Victorias känslostorm på Haga efter upptäckten _*Svensk Dam

Victoria gets to see pictures from her 18th birthday and she opens up about the feelings it carries with it.
Everything can be seen in TV4's "Tronen".
- I saw myself as a small link in a very long historical chain. It turned out very nice, while the responsibility felt very heavy.
Throughout her adult life, she has been able to see and learn from her father, the King's work.
When Victoria gives a speech to Carl Gustaf on his 70th birthday, it becomes clear how much he has meant.
With the laudatory words, she says that "she knows what it's like to have a father".
- Mm, I'm a little moved by the little clip, Victoria says while nodding.
Victoria i tårar - när reportern tar upp känsliga ämnet _*Svensk Dam

Back
Top Bottom