Imperial Family of Brazil 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The message that he "is praying for Dom Rafael to find a princess" who can join him couldn't be more blunt. Rather cringy actually.
Something tells me that Uncle Brazil isn't to happy with his nephew's relationship with an Italian noblewoman.

Last edited:
Something tells me that Uncle Brazil isn't to happy with his nephew's relationship with an Italian noblewoman.
He’s not happy and I am certain of it. I think Prince Rafael will marry the Italian lady or anyone else. I don’t think he will marry any lady of the mediatized, high nobility or any of the former German royal houses because if he had the chance he would have done so long ago.

If upholding the "dynastic standards" of the family was so extremely important to them, then the late Prince Luiz and Prince Bertrand could have contracted such alliances themselves. However, they decided to devote themselves to a certain religious fervor, which is their right. Regardless, Prince Bertrand is not in a position to contradict a possible union between his nephew, Prince Rafael, with a woman from a very well-connected Italian family.

If upholding the "dynastic standards" of the family was so extremely important to them, then the late Prince Luiz and Prince Bertrand could have contracted such alliances themselves. However, they decided to devote themselves to a certain religious fervor, which is their right. Regardless, Prince Bertrand is not in a position to contradict a possible union between his nephew, Prince Rafael, with a woman from a very well-connected Italian family.
He can’t stop him from marrying because he’s an adult but he will simply be skipped as Head of the family. I think Rafael won’t make a dynastic marriage because he doesn’t have much time and none of the girls he has or is dating are from the mediatized, high nobility or former sovereign houses from Germany, Austria and Portugal. He will definitely marry this girl he is dating or someone not of noble origin

I never thought Rafael would want to marry a princess just to fulfill family tradition. He always said he wanted to uphold that tradition, but he shouldn't be allowed to say he didn't either...
He has so far dated girls who did not belong to royal families. He's going to have to marry a woman he likes, regardless of her background.

I never thought Rafael would want to marry a princess just to fulfill family tradition. He always said he wanted to uphold that tradition, but he shouldn't be allowed to say he didn't either...
He has so far dated girls who did not belong to royal families. He's going to have to marry a woman he likes, regardless of her background.
He will marry who he wants because at this point, he might as well throw in the towel as he has not found a royal or high noble bride to be at least engaged to. I don’t think he will make a dynastic marriage at all

They posted their new/current line of succession:
1. Dom Bertrand (Head of the Imperial House of Brazil)
2. Dom Antonio (Prince Imperial of Brazil)
3. Dom Rafael (Prince of Grao-Para)
4. Dona Maria Gabriela (Princess of Brazil)
5. Dona Eleonora (Princess of Brazil and de Ligne)
6. Principe Henri (Hereditary prince de Ligne)

And what about Maria Gabriela and Henri? Any news about their girlfriends/boyfriends? If Rafael, Maria Gabriela, and Henri all marry non-royals, then they have to change their rules. Otherwise, it would be the end of their dinasty.

And what about Maria Gabriela and Henri? Any news about their girlfriends/boyfriends? If Rafael, Maria Gabriela, and Henri all marry non-royals, then they have to change their rules. Otherwise, it would be the end of their dinasty.
It won’t matter to Prince Henri de Ligne because he will be next head of the Princely de Ligne family. The Orléans-Braganza dynasty won’t end, there just won’t be a Head of the family who would have satisfied the marital requirements. Marie-Gabriela and Prince Henri are very private so if there is information on their relationships, then we won’t known until an official announcement. Besides, the Petropolis branch of the dynasty exists, they just don’t care much about the succession like the Vassouras branch do.

It won’t matter to Prince Henri de Ligne because he will be next head of the Princely de Ligne family. The Orléans-Braganza dynasty won’t end, there just won’t be a Head of the family who would have satisfied the marital requirements. Marie-Gabriela and Prince Henri are very private so if there is information on their relationships, then we won’t known until an official announcement. Besides, the Petropolis branch of the dynasty exists, they just don’t care much about the succession like the Vassouras branch do.

Henri can be both the head of Brazilian Imperial family and de Ligne Princely family.
I mean, if Rafael, Maria Gabriela, and Henri all marry non-royals, who's the next in line of succession? Who is the next person who is still eligible?
Royals nowadays tends to marry commoner. There is a huge possibility that the three of them would marry non royals. The Petropolis branch can't inherit because they are descended from morganatic marriage of a Brazilian prince to a "mere" countess Dobrženský.

I mean, if Rafael, Maria Gabriela, and Henri all marry non-royals, who's the next in line of succession? Who is the next person who is still eligible?

I've never really gotten a grip of if the Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Braganças are in the Brazilian line of succession or not. Does anyone know?

I've never really gotten a grip of if the Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Braganças are in the Brazilian line of succession or not. Does anyone know?

Princess Teresa Cristina of Saxe Coburg Gotha (1902-1990), [a granddaughter of Princess Leopoldina of Brazil], married to Baron Lamoral Taxis von Bordogna und Valnigra. Their descendants assumed the surname Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança.
There are two problems
1. Lamoral was only a Baron. He's related to the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis via maternal line. But still, he is not royal, nor a prince. The marriage between Prince Pedro de Alcantara of Brazil and Countess Elisabeth Dobrženský was considered as morganatic and he needed to renounce his right because his bride was only "Countess". By the same logic the marriage between Teresa Cristina and Lamoral should have been morganatic.
2. The current head of the Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança family is Carlos Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança (b.1931). He married Archduchess Walburga of Austria (a suitable bride). However, all of their children married commoners. So, no eligible candidates from the younger generation.

Henri can be both the head of Brazilian Imperial family and de Ligne Princely family.
Royals nowadays tends to marry commoner. There is a huge possibility that the three of them would marry non royals. The Petropolis branch can't inherit because they are descended from morganatic marriage of a Brazilian prince to a "mere" countess Dobrženský.
Yes, Henri could be Head of both families, but the de Lignes are part of a country that officially recognizes titles so he wouldn’t lose out on anything by not conforming to the marriage rules of the Imperial family as he will have his position as Head of one of the most prestigious noble families of Belgium. That’s the difference between him and his first cousins from the Braganza dynasty. I know that the Petropolis branch aren’t really part but the overall point is that the Braganza dynasty isn’t extinct or won’t be extinct, there just wouldn’t be an official head according to the marital rules.

What Prince Dom Rafael could do was remain single until he assumed the leadership of the Imperial House of Brazil, and change the rules of succession and then marry.

What Prince Dom Rafael could do was remain single until he assumed the leadership of the Imperial House of Brazil, and change the rules of succession and then marry.
But he’s already 40 years old, if he wants to be married, he should marry who he wants because he doesn’t have much time or prospects since he can‘t get a mediatized/high noble or royal to marry. He might as well marry whoever loves him because I don’t see any of the women from the mediatized/high nobles or royals wanting to move to Brazil or him being able to marry any of those women because so far, he’s dated a commoner, and few minor aristocrats from Italy.

But he’s already 40 years old, if he wants to be married, he should marry who he wants because he doesn’t have much time or prospects since he can‘t get a mediatized/high noble or royal to marry. He might as well marry whoever loves him because I don’t see any of the women from the mediatized/high nobles or royals wanting to move to Brazil or him being able to marry any of those women because so far, he’s dated a commoner, and few minor aristocrats from Italy.

Didn’t King Harald V’s sister live in Brazil? I don’t see why a royal lady from Europe would rule out living there a priori. It’s actually a surprisingly nice place to live if you have money.

The problem is not so much the country, in my opinion, but Dom Rafael himself. He’s already 40, poor ( or at least not particularly wealthy), has no prospect of ever sitting on a throne, and belongs to a a family known for its Catholic extremism and association with far-right groups.

Last edited:
Didn’t King Harald V’s sister live in Brazil? I don’t see why a royal lady from Europe would rule out living there a priori. It’s actually a surprisingly nice place to live if you have money.

The problem is not so much the country, in my opinion, but Dom Rafael himself. He’s already 40, poor ( or at least not particularly wealthy), has no prospect of ever sitting on a throne, and belongs to a a family known for its Catholic extremism and association with far-right groups.

Rafael is 36 years old. There are still 4 years left for Rafael to reach 40.

Rafael is 36 years old. There are still 4 years left for Rafael to reach 40.

Sorry, I stand corrected then. In any case, he's already approaching middle age, so if he is looking for a bride who has never been married before and is of childbearing age, it is advisable not to postpone marriage much longer.

The circumstances for the late Princess moving there is different because her husband had business interests and she had some personal issues with her family in Norway too. I understand that Brazil is nice if you have money but that’s not what I was implying. My point was that the daughters of the high noble/mediatized and former sovereign houses of the former German and Holy Roman Empires probably wouldn’t move there unless for business reasons or other reasons and for some of their daughters who are of a different generation and mindset wouldn’t want to move to Brazil so far away from Central Europe just for a prestigious marriage. Aside from the religious extremism and far right groups, what I have I typed are some of the issues because the Braganzas do have contact with noble and royal houses, but have these contacts led to even an engagement for Rafael? No. Some of the nobility and former royals marry in their circles, but the difference is that the geographical location isn’t much of an issue and not all of them are rich when they marry.

On Friday, December 23, under the auspices of Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, the 2022 edition of the traditional Christmas Concert of the Imperial Family was held.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm1oQ3ruaun/

On December 21, Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, hosted an end-of-year cocktail party at the Social Headquarters of his Secretariat, in São Paulo. Members and collaborators of the Pró Monarquia, veterans and young monarchists, longtime friends and new relations of the Brazilian Imperial Family and prominent figures of São Paulo society were invited.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm9PyGordw-/

Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, celebrated his 82nd birthday.
The prince celebrated his birthday with royalist veterans, longtime friends and closest collaborators.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoXXmqnLx-A/

On Saturday, May 13th, Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, was represented by his brothers, Princes Dom Francisco and Dom Alberto and Princess Dona Maria Gabriela of Orleans and Bragança, in the celebrations, in Vassouras, in the Center-South of the State of Rio de Janeiro, of the 135th anniversary of the Lei Áurea, through which his great-grandmother, Princess Dona Isabel, abolished slavery in Brazil.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs3wotzOBWm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, received a visit, at the Social Headquarters of his Secretariat, in São Paulo, from his nephew, the Prince of Grão-Pará, Dom Rafael of Orleans and Bragança, who came to Brazil to visit his parents, the Prince and Princess Imperial of Brazil, Dom Antonio and Dona Christine of Orleans and Bragança, and deal with professional matters.

The Princes talked about the prospects for the Restoration of the Monarchy in Brazil, the situation in Europe and the Russo-Ukrainian War. Dom Bertrand gave Dom Rafael a Medal of the Patron Saint of Ukraine, Saint Olga of Kiev, and the Patron Saint of Kiev, capital of that country, Saint Michael the Archangel, made by the American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cty_A7BOUO-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Announcement on the hospital discharge of Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil.

Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil was discharged from hospital and the procedure was successful.
Dom Bertrand will recover at home and will participate in the XXXIII National Monarchic Meeting on the 15th of July in Rio de Janeiro.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuhVO1POdOe/

Last edited:
On Sunday, August 20th, Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, hosted a dinner at the Social Headquarters of his Secretariat, in São Paulo, in celebration of the birthday of a friend and collaborator, Assessor of the Imperial House of Brazil Mr. Juan Carlos José Voiseau y Jardón.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwQDbOwsACK/?img_index=1

On Thursday, August 24th, Prince Dom Bertrand of Orleans and Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, received in audience at the Social Headquarters of his Secretariat, in São Paulo, a group of young members of the American Defense Society of Tradition, Family and Property.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwnOpBzOUK8/

Back
Top Bottom