General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 4: August 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With emphasis on reigning. Christian IV still hold the record of longest-sitting monarch at 59 years, 10 months and 25 days. A record she'd break on 9 December 2031 at the age of 91 1/2 – if she (hopefully) lives that long.

I guess the next record to beat will be QEIIs 70 years in about 19 years which would be some time in 2042.

:previous: While that would be lovely indeed (;)) how would it be record-beating? :ermm:

Louis XIV holds the record for the longest reign at 72 years and 110 days, not QEII with her 70 years and 214 days.

No, to the best of my knowledge, the next record to beat is Christian IX's title of longest living Danish monarch. A record she would break in 4 years, 6 months and 22 days, or on 7 February 2028 (Frederik's 60th birthday year!)

Well then she will be shooting for Louis' record I presume in 21 years. Frederik's 76th year if my addition is correct. What would a 76th jubilee be called?

Does DK recognize 5 year reign anniversary? If notaybe an exception cam.be made for Frederik.

Louis' reign is not likely ever come close to being beaten. Except by sheer tragedy.

Louis came to the throne 4 months short of 5 years old after his father died of TB. 77 was a shockingly long life span in those times when many people succumbed to illness or war/assassination etc. With modern medicine and less chance for war/assassination's, today's monarchs live much longer. Therefore their heirs are older when they ascend the throne.

Margrethe may surpass Christian IV at 91. Christian came to the throne at 10 vs Margrethe at nearly 32. Her mother lived to 90.

Ingrid is the only member who has surpassed their 80s

-queen's father died at 72
-Knud made it to just short of 76
-Elisabeth was 83
-Ignolf is 2 months older then Margrethe
-Christian was 70
-Christian X was 76
-Alexandra was 73

Louis' reign is not likely ever come close to being beaten. Except by sheer tragedy.

Louis came to the throne 4 months short of 5 years old after his father died of TB. 77 was a shockingly long life span in those times when many people succumbed to illness or war/assassination etc. With modern medicine and less chance for war/assassination's, today's monarchs live much longer. Therefore their heirs are older when they ascend the throne.

Margrethe may surpass Christian IV at 91. Christian came to the throne at 10 vs Margrethe at nearly 32. Her mother lived to 90.

Ingrid is the only member who has surpassed their 80s

-queen's father died at 72
-Knud made it to just short of 76
-Elisabeth was 83
-Ignolf is 2 months older then Margrethe
-Christian was 70
-Christian X was 76
-Alexandra was 73

Margrethe said once that the men in her Family do not become old. Which ws also the case for her grandfather King Christian X. and most of his brothers, except for King Haakon.
It seems she and her sisters have the longevity genes of her mothers Bernadotte Family.

To mark the jubilee Queen Margrethe has hosted a private dinner at the Knights Hall at Koldinghus yesterday evening:

** instagram post **

Shortly after his coronation in 1596, Christian IV began the construction of the Giant Tower at Koldinghus. In the same connection, the Riddersalen was established, which with its 57 meters became the second-longest in Northern Europe.

In this hall of knights, Her Majesty the Queen marked with a private dinner last night that from the middle of this month Her Majesty will be the longest-reigning monarch in Danish history ???

At dinner, the table in the Knights' Hall was, among other things, decorated with a 190 kilo silver platter that was a gift to Christian IX and Queen Louise on the occasion of the royal couple's golden wedding in 1892. The table decoration can in the coming time be experienced as part of the exhibition at Koldinghus.

Well then she will be shooting for Louis' record I presume in 21 years. Frederik's 76th year if my addition is correct. What would a 76th jubilee be called?

Does DK recognize 5 year reign anniversary? If notaybe an exception cam.be made for Frederik.

Longevity isn't imperative for how your reign will be remembered.

Call me a cynic but with all due respect to my favourite queen doesn't this jubilee seem a bit forced?

Call me a cynic but with all due respect to my favourite queen doesn't this jubilee seem a bit forced?

That thought crossed my mind, too. But, she didn't get much of a 50th year jubilee between COVID and Elizabeth II's death, so maybe she's throwing in some extra celebration. Plus, she's had a tough year, so it's nice to see a happy celebration.

Find this also a bit forced. And usually reigns are counted from the start also when the monarch was a a minor in the first years.

Margrethe said once that the men in her Family do not become old. Which ws also the case for her grandfather King Christian X. and most of his brothers, except for King Haakon.
It seems she and her sisters have the longevity genes of her mothers Bernadotte Family.

Not good news for Frederik then if that's true given he's already 55. Let's hope and pray he even gets to be King then at this rate. Long live the Crown Prince!!

Next Sunday - the 6th. is the Hubertus hunt, or more correctly translated: The Hubertus Chase. Because the Danish word "jagt" means both hunt and chase.

It's the annual end of the horse racing season, where members of various equestrian association in full ornate take part in a several kilometer chase after two riders who act as "foxes". They wear fox-tails in their coats.
There are actually two chases, one for children riding ponies, which is of course less difficult, but it still happens that one or two fall off and end up soaking wet and muddy.
The other one is for adult riders and is more difficult. One of the spectator favorites is the obstacle called "Magasindammen" which is a water obstacle, and it's a bad day if one or two riders don't end up in the water. But some of the riders hold up one hand just to show off, instead of having both hands on the reins.
But the general mood is merry and as a lot of those who look on, ride horses themselves, there is no glee or schadenfreude if a rider should end up in the water.

The whole show, including the attire is inspired by the British fox-hunting tradition, but AFAIK there has never been a tradition in DK for hunting foxes on horseback. Foxes were and are simply hunted by hunters with a team of dogs, like dachshunds who can enter the borrow of a fox and chase the fox out to be shot by the hunter. Still not an easy task though!

The DRF, mainly the CP family, typically but not always attend the Hubertus Chase, arriving in a carriage before noon and taking up position in the Eremitage Slot, which is a glorified (very glorified in fact and well worth a visit) hunting lodge. And here they hand out the prizes.

It has happened that Frederik has taken part in a Hubertus Chase, but given Mary's keen interest in horses, an interest she appears to share with Josephine, we may hope one or both of them will take part. We shall see.

Yes, does Ingrid ride?
And one of her daughters, can't remember who at the moment, is an elite equestrian, perhaps she will take part?
And then of course there are M&F's children.

Yes, does Ingrid ride?
And one of her daughters, can't remember who at the moment, is an elite equestrian, perhaps she will take part?
And then of course there are M&F's children.

I think Nathalie is the Olympic equestrian.

New popularity poll by Tv2
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2023-12-12-n...r-isaer-et-medlem-maa-drage-et-lettelsens-suk

who the Danes think is the best representative of the royal house.
The Queen is at 38%, Crown Prince Frederik 29%, Mary at 15%.

"- The most important thing for a regent in relation to having done well is that you get great popularity ratings yourself, but also that your successor gets it, he says.
The poll also shows that 77 percent of Danes believe that Crown Prince Frederik will be "very good" or "good" fit as a regent when that time comes."

BT has just published a poll by YouGov where people have been asked to access the DRF members and for the first time Christian has been included in November and December.
https://www.bt.dk/underholdning/det...ngefamilien-fundet-udfoerer-sit-arbejde-stort

The question was: How good or bad do you find the members of the DRF?
Dark red = Very good or good.
Pale red = Very poor or poor.

Mary came out on top with Christian on a fine fourth place. (I think the very positive impression we got of him as a person at his birthday very much reflects this.)

ADDED: The most interesting and IMO telling figures are the changes in the negative opinions.

Last edited:
"On duty for His Majesty the King - in all kinds of weather ❄️��️��*♀️

The snow has settled on Amalienborg, where conscripts from the Royal Life Guard stand guard day and night for the King and the royal family.

Every two hours, the guards carry out a change of post, so they can get into the heat at Amalienborg, put on dry clothes and relax a bit before the next shift."
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2NPSz1taLH/?img_index=1

with the snow setting in today they were very lucky for the proclamation on Sunday. I don't think they could have asked for better weather for a January.

with the snow setting in today they were very lucky for the proclamation on Sunday. I don't think they could have asked for better weather for a January.

Exactly my thoughts, phew! That was close.

"On duty for His Majesty the King - in all kinds of weather ❄️��️��*♀️

The snow has settled on Amalienborg, where conscripts from the Royal Life Guard stand guard day and night for the King and the royal family.

Every two hours, the guards carry out a change of post, so they can get into the heat at Amalienborg, put on dry clothes and relax a bit before the next shift."
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2NPSz1taLH/?img_index=1

The gloves they wear may look good but they are not suited for cold weather!

The gloves they wear may look good but they are not suited for cold weather!

Maybe they provide hand warmers? That would be helpful. Nowadays there are even vests you can wear that heat up (in addition to wearing thermal underclothing).

Do we have any engagements published to happen for January and February, other than the service in Aarhus?

The Danish Royal House of Denmark has joined to the X (Twitter) in connection with the royal accession.

The Danish Royal House of Denmark has joined to the X (Twitter) in connection with the royal accession.

Where did you see this information? I didn't find anything on the royal house's website.

Back
Top Bottom