General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 6: January 2021 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they will network Marie enough that she can continue her food waste work, even as a volunteer with someone.

It's not really fair (or healthy) to essentially strand someone in a foreign country without giving them something to do.

Marie can do ALOT in Washington DC and if she is smart and savvy she can play her cards right and actually make a name for herself and Joachim in DC.

She needs to start by volunteering with organizations in DC . Perhaps those focusing on similar causes that she championed in Denmark. In time and with more exposure the invites will come and her profile will grow more and more.

Seeing Joachim so enthusiastic about this job, "- Everyone asks that - and yes, I know what I want. And the right bodies, authorities and people also know what I want. I'm just waiting for the phone to ring and they say "Go","
I hope Marie too can find something to work on. Her work with Food waste has been great and can only grow

There is also nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom, if that interests Marie.

It's, rightly or wrongly, not unusual in military spouse circles during overseas assignments. Unless you can work in the limited civilian industries present on military bases or a completely online job, an overseas deployment often means that the non-military spouse can't work.

Interesting announcement. Their time here will be short, unless she wants to be a full-time "wife of," which would get boring quickly. She hasn't seemed particularly enthusiastic about this move, so we'll see.

Washington is not a city like New York (or London or Paris). There's no exciting shopping here, and within a few months, you can see all the museums and eat in all the trendiest restaurants. Nothing flashy, no real nightlife. It's basically a big company town where government is the business.

Even Marie's pet issue of food waste is not an issue here -- the local government already has a program to collect it. Restaurants also participate in a Zero Waste program.

I don't see a lot for her to do, unless the embassy decides to work with her.

But Joachim, specifically, said to the press — in unusually enthusiastic terms — that he really, really, really wanted this job. Assuming, of course, that it is this particular job that he's now got.

And Joachim is not particularly good at dissembling, to the media or to other people. So why are people willing to accept the idea stated by him (and Marie) that "it wasn't our choice" means they were forced out (when it could have equally meant "we still like Denmark, we didn't leave because we hated it, please don't think that"), but not that, stated by him, he is gung-ho to go to the US? Even if he is being railroaded, it doesn't mean he can't like the idea of this destination a lot more.

In addition, the interview in which Princess Marie commented that moving to France was not their choice was published in July 2020, and therefore unrelated to Prince Joachim's feelings about his job as an attaché, because he did not debut in that position until September 2020 (his first year in France was occupied with his studies).

I understand, but those qualifications are not known or helpful in professional or executive circles, at least in the United States. His title would open some doors, but he’d have a tough time building a career outside the Danish military or diplomatic corps without a university degree. And at his age, it would be almost impossible.

Honorable military service is a commendable thing, and it opens a lot of doors for enlisted personnel who don't have college degrees. But, officers in the U.S. military (except for warrant officers) nearly all have bachelor's degrees or higher. (Things may be different in other countries, of course.)

Joachim doesn't have this credential, so other than his name and connections, he would not have an easy time finding or qualifying for a high-paying professional job.

Prince Joachim's (hypothetical, at least for the time being) professional career would surely have been in Denmark or Danish military or diplomatic service, rather than in the United States or US military or diplomatic service, so I am not sure Americans' knowledge or perceptions of his qualifications would be overly important.

In addition, the interview in which Princess Marie commented that moving to France was not their choice was published in July 2020, and therefore unrelated to Prince Joachim's feelings about his job as an attaché, because he did not debut in that position until September 2020 (his first year in France was occupied with his studies).
Well, there was another interview in May 2021 https://princessmariescloset.com/20...covid-or-my-stroke-its-to-live-in-the-moment/.
And their repeated interviews in which they kept complaining about their lot have been discussed at length in this thread.
Actually Joachim started his job in Paris with a big blunder. And he was at least one part of the let's say miscommunication last year (that much to his diplomatic skills).
Hopefully this time Joachim and Marie will have to sign a "only interviews which are approved by the court"-clause.

Last edited:
Prince Joachim's (hypothetical, at least for the time being) professional career would surely have been in Denmark or Danish military or diplomatic service, rather than in the United States or US military or diplomatic service, so I am not sure Americans' knowledge or perceptions of his qualifications would be overly important.

My original point in mentioning his lack of academic credentials was to point out that he would have a very difficult, if not impossible, time finding a high-paying job without his connections.

Last edited:
"Arms lobbyist or royal representative? Today, the Danish Parliament will discuss whether Prince Joachim should bring his appanage to the USA"
The Danish Parliament decides whether the prince should receive an apanage or a salary while he works as a defense industry attaché in the United States.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/v...aesentant-i-dag-skal-folketinget-diskutere-om

Some good points up for discussion.

Yes, but all the other parties have already committed themselves to granting Joachim his apanage while in USA. So it will remain just that, a discussion.

If the salary numbers in that report are accurate, Joachim will make less than $50,000 per month, which will not go very far in the neighborhoods he'll likely be considering and for the schools he will probably pick for his kids.

He can count on paying at least $20,000/month for a large house (5,000+ square feet) with four or five bedrooms in neighborhoods where diplomats and top executives live.

Tuition at the top private schools runs almost $50,000/year with fees, so that's another $8,000 or so per month with two kids.

Add in staff, cars, clothes, food, entertainment, country clubs/social clubs, etc., and he won't have any "extra" money.

There are a lot of perks of being stationed abroad, not least in USA.
In fact that is being debated here in DK right now.

The Danish state rent/buy houses for military attaches and others who are stationed in USA - generous houses! A brigadier like Joachim will get a generous house.
I guess he will have to pay for furnishing, electricity, heating and so on.
Apart from that there are various subsidies also covered by the state. And that probably includes a car befitting his position belonging to the embassy (CD plates) whether our Marie gets one is IMO doubtful, but cars are a lot cheaper in USA!
Then there is an account for representation, because a man in his position can be expected from time to time to host dinners and other functions in his home.
No doubt there are also subsidies for children, because international schools in a major capital are not cheap!
Moving private things to and from USA is covered by the military and that has included motorbikes and even a horse.
To all that comes tax deductions, additional pay for being stationed abroad and being able to buy a lot of stuff tax free.

The question is of course whether J&M will get any subsidies or whether everything must be covered by the apanage. I do believe travels and other expenses on the job will be covered by the state regardless.
Because as you point out 3.8 million DKK is a lot more than a brigadier would earn, but in the event that Joachim really has to cover anything himself, it might actually be preferable to get a regular salary.
- But no apanage also means no obligation to work for the DRF. After all you can't expect people, even royals, to work for free.

So to sum up: I think Joachim has already done some calculations and if he really has to cut into his savings, I think he would have turned this offer down.
After all, who will pay to go to work?

Exactly, Joachim will go with all major expenses paid like housing, car, school fees etc and will get the apanage on top to spend what ever he needs for his private life.
It's the same with any other expad I've worked with.

In that case, he would have a pretty sweet deal. It will be interesting to see where his house is.

Apart from that there are various subsidies also covered by the state. And that probably includes a car befitting his position belonging to the embassy (CD plates) whether our Marie gets one is IMO doubtful, but cars are a lot cheaper in USA!

Here he will have "DN plates." Every country has a code on its diplomatic plates in Washington, and Denmark's is DN. ?

We natives look at diplomats pretty cynically, because they tend to make lousy neighbors. (Not suggesting that Joachim wouldn't be a great neighbor, just talking generally.)

For instance, lower-level diplomats get stickers on their car, rather than metal license plates. These are called "dip stickers." Since they have immunity, the dips feel free to park anywhere (such as on people's front lawns or blocking driveways) and break traffic rules (fender-benders, running lights, speeding) since they seldom face consequences.

The children of diplomats, who tend to be a little over-entitled, are known as "diplo-brats."

There's really only one "international" school here in Washington, and it is focused on French culture. (There used to be a German one, but I think it closed.) Princess Cristina of Spain sent her kids there when she lived here a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
:flowers:

Well, then the school should suit J&M just fine.

As for the behavior of diplomats, I think that's pretty universal The diplomats from some countries being downright infamous for their entitled behavior.
Joachim can't afford to act like that, even if he had such inclinations. He would end up on the frontpage right away.

I'm sure Joachim will only have agreed to go if the deal was good enough (maybe they were playing hardball negotiations when Marie said the move might not happen) and the appanage will be on top of some nice expenses - house and maybe some schooling allowance for sure I would imagine otherwise the appanage isn't going very far.

There's really only one "international" school here in Washington, and it is focused on French culture. (There used to be a German one, but I think it closed.) Princess Cristina of Spain sent her kids there when she lived here a few years ago.

There is still a German School in DC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_International_School_Washington_D.C.

And the diplo-brats are an interesting bunch.. Sometimes they are horrible, but at the same time you kind of sort of feel sorry for them..

Perhaps the French school is a better fit for them..
Rochambeau The French International School of Washington DC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochambeau_French_International_School
They were already in a French scholl, so the system stays the same and one less change for the kids

"His Excellency Henrik Comte of Monpezat participated yesterday, May 9, at the ceremony of rekindling the Unknown Soldier's Flame at the Arc de Triomphe, surrounded by his parents Prince Joachim and Princess Marie.
It was the first ceremony organized with the participation of young Europeans, each carrying the flag of their country. A beautiful moment of tribute to fallen soldiers and hope for a world of peace on this Europe Day 2023.
The flame has been rekindled every day at 6:30 p.m. since November 11, 1923."

There is still a German School in DC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_International_School_Washington_D.C.

And the diplo-brats are an interesting bunch.. Sometimes they are horrible, but at the same time you kind of sort of feel sorry for them..

Perhaps the French school is a better fit for them..
Rochambeau The French International School of Washington DC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochambeau_French_International_School
They were already in a French scholl, so the system stays the same and one less change for the kids

Just noticed this from a couple of weeks ago... If they go to Rochambeau, they'll be passing by my building several times a day. That school has two campuses about half a mile apart. It's in the Pooks Hill neighborhood of Bethesda, Maryland, which happens to be where the Norwegian royal family lived during World War II. The mansion where they lived was torn down in the 1950s, and my apartment building sits on a 25-acre site where the estate used to be.

My understanding is that even though he sold it, he still has access to Schackenborg Castle. Certainly over the past years he has holidays there during the fall and summer.

They use to have access to an apartment in Amalienborg, is is possible they might do so again for when they visit? Selling the house does suggest they don't necessarily see their future in Denmark but if they have access to rooms in Amalienborg for when they visit and access to Schackenborg for holidays they probably don't need a house of their own.

Any word of whether Joachim has moved at this point? I imagine they are settled by now. Schools in the Washington area are starting next week, although some private schools go back after Labor Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom