General Information on Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expressen writes on it's website about Aftonbladet writing on it's paper version about Madeleine's interview in swedish Elle, and quotes some things at the interview.
Madeleine tells that Chris O'Neill fell in love with first sight, but Madeleine needed a little persuasion with dinners and movies. Madeleine says that it is reassuring to be married. Now they are two. It is Chris and Madeleine against to the world in some way.
There has been speculation that the couple would move back home when Madeleine became pregnant, to ensure your baby's place in the line of succession, but so far it's Manhattan that applies. Madeleine tells that they will continue to stay in New York until further notice. It is New York that Chris is working from and she hopes she can continue to work with Thank you campaign after the baby is born. The baby just comes with to the meetings. It is so exciting and they are so happy, even if it happened a bit quickly and suddenly. But it's better than planning and waiting and maybe nothing happens, Madeleine says.
Madde Det är Chris och jag mot världen Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation'

Edit
And now Aftonbladet has put the story at their website too
Madeleine about chris: Well, who is he? That what all people in Sweden probably think. And how did we fall in love? Hmm ... Our answer is a little different from each other. Chris says that he fell in love with me at first sight . It took a little longer on me.
For her, it started with a friendship which eventually grew into something more. Madeleine says that she had just moved to New York and met him through mutual friends. Chris has the ability to get everyone around him feel good. I like that. And he is romantic. A real gentleman. We went to the movies and ate dinner together. Went to classical dates.
Already in August 2010, Chris flew to Sweden to meet Madeleine in Stockholm, and during a visit to the restaurant Riche they were captured on a photo together. But because of the recently crashed relationship with Jonas Bergström Madeleine wanted that they would take slowly at the beginning, she says that because she came from a long relationship, I really wanted to take it slow, one day at a time. The love grew. She began to realize that I longed so much for him when he was not there. That was how it began for me. And that is probably what is love, when you feel you can not live without each other.
Madeleine tells that she reads the American pregnancy bible "What to expect when you're expecting" by Heidi Murkoff, she has always been interested in biology and find it fascinating to read about how the body works and everything that happens within you when you are pregnant.
”Chris blev kär vid första ögonkastet” Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Madeleine's 11-page interview and reportage with photos is on November's Elle, which comes to markets on Tuesday.
There are 4 special covers of subscribers of Elle, here is two of them. The first one is the real cover.
- My work for Childhood has given me a new perspective on life. It has taught me to control my emotions. Turning outrage and frustration into positive energy, says Princess Madeleine in the interview and talks about the strong encounters she has had during his work with young people who are victims of violence or neglect.
Going to the exclusive charity event to raise money for the Foundation is part of Princess Madeleine's everyday life:
- Gala dresses and high heels are a part of the work uniform, says Madeleine to ELLE.
Prinsessan Madeleine i exklusiv intervju i nya ELLE ”Jag har så mycket att vara tacksam för” ELLE
Translation

More photos from the Elle interview
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I would like to know why she did this interview, and especially why she posed like a supermodel? The first photo isn't very discreet. She says she wants to promote Childhood. Does she really think that people would give more money to Childhood when she poses like this, and not if she makes a "normal" interview? She says she wants to be left alone and loves to be a private person, but still she speaks about very personal matters, when it suits her.

Personally, she looks like a spoilt little rich kid having her cake and eating it to. She wants privacy, practicially lives in another country, and does little or not work for her country and yet does an interview with Elle and acts like a fashionista.

More photos from the Elle interview

I would like to know why she did this interview, and especially why she posed like a supermodel? The first photo isn't very discreet. She says she wants to promote Childhood. Does she really think that people would give more money to Childhood when she poses like this, and not if she makes a "normal" interview? She says she wants to be left alone and loves to be a private person, but still she speaks about very personal matters, when it suits her.

She looks beautiful

Nothing wrong with the first shot IMO -and just think of Maxima and that red layered frock!

To be honest, and this may bring out some snarking, the statements you quote sound v like Diana, Princess of Wales, who also modelled/posed for fashion magazines, and wanted privacy, and wanted to do charitable acts esp for children.

So no surprises

And as for "having her cake and eating it" - we probably all would if we could.

She looks beautiful

Nothing wrong with the first shot IMO -and just think of Maxima and that red layered frock!

To be honest, and this may bring out some snarking, the statements you quote sound v like Diana, Princess of Wales, who also modelled/posed for fashion magazines, and wanted privacy, and wanted to do charitable acts esp for children.

So no surprises

Oh, heaven forbid! :p

It is human nature to want to have one's cake and eat it too but it's wisdom that makes us realize that we often cannot.

And the more annoyed she gets about it, the more the press and public will seek her out. Becomes all a game, doesn't it? Just like you-know-who who you just mentioned....:whistling:

Perhaps you would, but I know if I was being paid by the taxpayer I wouldn't scream for privacy, live in another country, not perform any royals duties unless absolutely necessary and potentially have a member of the close royal family born out of the country. I don't think that's fair. I would do my duty and suck up whatever issues I had with the press. It's how it should work. Madeleine doesn't even have the excuse of not being born into the family, this has been her life since birth.

Madeleine wants to have the celebrity lifestyle with the Princess title, and personally I don't think it works like that.

One more photo from the Elle interview
http://cs409131.vk.me/v409131088/4f7a/rRXjGXtJRz4.jpg

Stoppa pressarna quotes parts of the interview in Elle
Princess Madeleine is happy with life today, but there was a time when she did not feel as confident in himself.
- I wanted so incredibly much to be like everyone else. Able to do what my friends did. But I could not. I've had to live with that for my whole life, says Madde to Elle.
Instead of hanging with her friends fled the princess to the stables, where she sought solace with the horses. Attention was nothing like the princess liked. During her career as a rider she competed with the name Anna Svensson to escape all the fuss around her.
Even in adulthood, Madeleine has had difficulties with the publicity, which she often has shown. After the breakup with Jonas Begström she fled to New York to escape all the attention.
- I've always felt uncomfortable, a little unsure about talking to a larger group of people, she says, arguing that it would have been nice to have a princess school.
- I am getting so much attention, I have to think about every word I say and have a knowledge that I am constantly being watched by both press and people. If you like attention maybe that's okay, but I have never done that. I think it has been difficult.
But since marriage to Chris O'Neill the princess feels more confident in herself.
- I did not expect it to feel different, but it does. It's reassuring to be married. Now it's two of us. It's Chris and me against the world in some way.
http://www.stoppapressarna.se/kungligt/prinsessan-madeleine-om-sin-svara-uppvaxt

I can understand that she hasn't liked the publicity. But talking about that in an 11-page interview with a lot of big photos makes it sound a little odd. And when she talks about that it would have been nice to have a princess school it makes it sound like her parents have done a miserable job and not prepared her at all to a public life.
Giving this interview just broadens the gap between Madeleine and the other members of the royal family. The other family members, even Carl Philip, do the normal, "boring" work events and meet and talk with a lot of common people in Sweden, while Madeleine attends only the family celebrations or glamorous gala dinners or Nobels. I don't even remember when she has visited her duchies, it must have been years ago.

Last edited:
Madeleine has done a good job in publicizing Childhood with these glamourous pictures. Many princesses have used fashion magazines, Princess Mary has done several and even included her children. So has Mettit Marit. Remember, "believe half of what you see, one quarter of what you hear, and none of what you read".

Madeleine has done a good job in publicizing Childhood with these glamourous pictures. Many princesses have used fashion magazines, Princess Mary has done several and even included her children. So has Mettit Marit. Remember, "believe half of what you see, one quarter of what you hear, and none of what you read".

Well if you look at how all the foreign press and most the people on here have reacted I don't think that is true IMO. No one has talked about Childhood, they've talked about Madeleine, her baby, her life, her husband. A poor excuse to act like a celebrity model if you ask me:whistling:

Well if you look at how all the foreign press and most the people on here have reacted I don't think that is true IMO. No one has talked about Childhood, they've talked about Madeleine, her baby, her life, her husband. A poor excuse to act like a celebrity model if you ask me:whistling:

I agree. And most of the comments on swedish forums aren't about Childhood, people comment this interview and photoshoot with why she is so photoshopped, she is so styled that one hardly recognizes her, she is so beautiful, she had to do something so that people won't forget her in Sweden, how does it help the vulnerable children that she poses like a photo model. Someone tries to sum up all the trips Madeleine has done for Childhood during the years, but these people are a small minority.

Last edited:
:previous:I have to agree with you. I thought the article was interesting, noted that while she is quite a pretty woman she had been incredibly photoshopped to impossibly beautiful proportions, but the last thing I connected it or her with was Childhood. This has absolutely nothing to do with that charity and everything to do with Princess Madeleine being royal and being married to someone who is not a Swede and living in the US instead of Sweden. That, I guess, is news of a sort.

When were the (really beautiful and glamorous) pics been taken?
Must have been directly after the honeymoon, in the early stages of pregnancy.... you cannot (yet) see anything from a larger belly ...
BYe Bine

I am very new to the forum, but would like to share some opinions on this couple.

First of all, I love them and you will not hear me say one bad word about them. I like Chris, he is smart, decent, seems very caring and genuinly loves her, IMO. So yes, he does look grumpy on posed pictures, but maybe he is just shy or really does not like to be in the spotlight in such a way. As for Madde, I appreciate how she represents Sweden in NY and also works for a charity. And yes, she likes to shop and dress up, but don't we all, ladies????

On the 'where should Mini-Maddie be born' issue: why would she have the baby in Sweden if they live and work in NY? To the Swedes, would it make you feel better (in terms of tax payers' money) if she had the baby in Sweden and would just fly back to NY a few weeks later? I guess not...

On the 'living off tax money' issue: I have no problem with that, this is just how it works in countries that have a RF. As long as they are transparent on royal house finances (and I believe the SRF is), I do not care.

On the 'he does not love her, she does not love him' question that keeps this forum very busy: I think they are very cute together, but maybe not when photographed in public. Chris was very affectionate at the wedding, Maddie is very sweet to him when the two are pictured at unexpected moments. I do not believe either that he just fell for the royal title. He seems to prefer that she just would be a normal person.

On the 'should Mini-Maddie be a HRH' issue: I expect Madde and Chris to choose for their kids not to have titles, to enable them to have a more normal life. I do not think they care about the HRH status for their kid. Would be nice if the kid will be little miss O'Neill.

Just my 2 cents on the discussion.

Something to consider: will Madde and Chris (now that he quit his job at Noster, but is very secretive about his next step) choose to move to Europe, but Londen or Switzerland instead of Sweden? They said they did not rule out the possibility of moving over to Europe, they never said it would be Sweden.

Last edited:
On the cover of Svensk Damtidning:
To a new home
Madeleine and Chris move in three weeks
Agent: They needed a bigger one
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SDT.jpg

Stoppa pressarna quotes the article in Svensk Damtidning and tells that Madeleine and Chris have gained a bigger and more child-friendly accommodation. They are going to move in three weeks. They leave their penthouse of 220 square metres and move to a more child-specific area on Roosevelt Island, which is located in the East River across from Manhattan. According to the couple's agent their home isn't big enough now when they are having a child and Roosevelt Island is one of the latest trend places to stay in New York. Here, among others, Beyoncé and Jay-Z have one of their homes. It seems like Madeleine defies both her mother's and sister's plea to return to Sweden. A close source told to Svensk Damtidning that "as I understand from the princess she wants to both to give birth and live in New York".
The reason that Madeleine and Chris stay in New York is believed to be that they can be more anonymous than in Sweden, and that Chris wants to be close to his work.
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill stannar i New York
Translation

Last edited:
I am very new to the forum, but would like to share some opinions on this couple.

First of all, I love them and you will not hear me say one bad word about them. I like Chris, he is smart, decent, seems very caring and genuinly loves her, IMO. So yes, he does look grumpy on posed pictures, but maybe he is just shy or really does not like to be in the spotlight in such a way. As for Madde, I appreciate how she represents Sweden in NY and also works for a charity. And yes, she likes to shop and dress up, but don't we all, ladies????

On the 'where should Mini-Maddie be born' issue: why would she have the baby in Sweden if they live and work in NY? To the Swedes, would it make you feel better (in terms of tax payers' money) if she had the baby in Sweden and would just fly back to NY a few weeks later? I guess not...

On the 'living off tax money' issue: I have no problem with that, this is just how it works in countries that have a RF. As long as they are transparent on royal house finances (and I believe the SRF is), I do not care.

On the 'he does not love her, she does not love him' question that keeps this forum very busy: I think they are very cute together, but maybe not when photographed in public. Chris was very affectionate at the wedding, Maddie is very sweet to him when the two are pictured at unexpected moments. I do not believe either that he just fell for the royal title. He seems to prefer that she just would be a normal person.

On the 'should Mini-Maddie be a HRH' issue: I expect Madde and Chris to choose for their kids not to have titles, to enable them to have a more normal life. I do not think they care about the HRH status for their kid. Would be nice if the kid will be little miss O'Neill.

Just my 2 cents on the discussion.

Something to consider: will Madde and Chris (now that he quit his job at Noster, but is very secretive about his next step) choose to move to Europe, but Londen or Switzerland instead of Sweden? They said they did not rule out the possibility of moving over to Europe, they never said it would be Sweden.

Very well said, SwissRoyal, and welcome to the board.
I am open to Maddes decision as well, but I would like to put some points into consideration:
- A born HSH has more benefits in life than a born Miss O´Neill. Sounds snobbish, but this is a FACT.
- If Chris has quit his job, he very easy can do new businesses (esp in Investment Industry) from everywhere in the world, he just needs a laptop and internet connection.
- If the city of choice should not be Stockholm for privacy reasons (I really can understand that), I could imagine, that Madde would love to be closer to her family, i.e. London/Switzerland could be more appropriate than NY. BTW: London and Zurich/Geneva are Europes Finance/Investment Cities No 1 :whistling:.

BYe Bine

I thought I read somewhere, regarding Madde's interview (can't open link - computer issues here), that she was considering renouncing her HRH, but her father would not hear of it.

If this is the case, it makes things a bit more complicated. If renouncing would upset her parents, if her father is insistent upon giving the child a title, I feel more sympathy towards her in this position. Anyway, whoever is making the decisions, I would hope that the parents are for the most part staying out of it, as they should stay out of their adult children's lives.

As for moving, look - some people simply love New York. I grew up there - it is like no other city on earth, from all of the other cities I've been. I don't blame people for wanting to live where they want. Chris declined a title - why should he not get to live where he wants.

I thought I read somewhere, regarding Madde's interview (can't open link - computer issues here), that she was considering renouncing her HRH, but her father would not hear of it.

If this is the case, it makes things a bit more complicated. If renouncing would upset her parents, if her father is insistent upon giving the child a title, I feel more sympathy towards her in this position. Anyway, whoever is making the decisions, I would hope that the parents are for the most part staying out of it, as they should stay out of their adult children's lives.

Madeleine and Chris gave an interview to Svenska Dagbladet on July. In the interview Madeleine was asked: Did you ever discuss about the choice that even you could get off in the same way as Princess Märtha Louise made ​​in Norway?
Madeleine answered: We thought about it too. But my family and I found this was the best route for us. It is important for me to represent Sweden and I am also proud to do it in the U.S.
Smekmånaden kvar i vardagen – exklusiv intervju med Madeleine och Chris SvD

Thanks for the response, LadyFinn.

I guess we will have to wait and see - I don't think place of birth is as significant as the national identity this child has. Although if an HRH grows up outside of Sweden - no matter how close, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, etc, I think it will raise eyebrows.

On the cover of Svensk Damtidning: To a new home Madeleine and Chris move in three weeks Agent: They needed a bigger one http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SDT.jpg Stoppa pressarna quotes the article in Svensk Damtidning and tells that Madeleine and Chris have gained a bigger and more child-friendly accommodation. They are going to move in three weeks. They leave their penthouse of 220 square metres and move to a more child-specific area on Roosevelt Island, which is located in the East River across from Manhattan. According to the couple's agent their home isn't big enough now when they are having a child and Roosevelt Island is one of the latest trend places to stay in New York. Here, among others, Beyoncé and Jay-Z have one of their homes. It seems like Madeleine defies both her mother's and sister's plea to return to Sweden. A close source told to Svensk Damtidning that "as I understand from the princess she wants to both to give birth and live in New York". The reason that Madeleine and Chris stay in New York is believed to be that they can be more anonymous than in Sweden, and that Chris wants to be close to his work. Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill stannar i New York Translation

Didn't he recently quit his job?

Didn't he recently quit his job?

Yes, the swedish media found out after the wedding that Chris had quitted working for Noster Capital already before the wedding. Swedish media told in the summer that Chris would start his own business and work as a "business angel" for young entrepreneurs and investors. But the media hasn't told anything about Chris' work after the summer.

Yes, the swedish media found out after the wedding that Chris had quitted working for Noster Capital already before the wedding. Swedish media told in the summer that Chris would start his own business and work as a "business angel" for young entrepreneurs and investors. But the media hasn't told anything about Chris' work after the summer.

I wonder if Daniel had any influence on this decision, or if he is a "silent partner" with Chris.

Madeline may be a princess by birth, but she's definitely not a princess by trade. Let her live where she wants, do what she wants, etc. She has never been, IMO, a princess-type person.

I wonder if Daniel had any influence on this decision, or if he is a "silent partner" with Chris.

And why would Daniel have something to do with Chris' career? The reason Chris quit at the Noster Capital was probably the huge amount of bad press he got because of his job there.

220 square meters is not large enough for a couple with a baby!
OMG, do they realise how do real people live?

220 square meters is about 2,381 square feet by my calculations. That's already a huge amount of space in Manhattan.

They might be European by birth, but they have certainly become American!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom