Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marengo said:
Just out of curiosity. What is it that bothers so many people about the names Dagmar and Thyra? IMHO both names are rather pretty.

both beautiful names, find them unique.

Marengo said:
Just out of curiosity. What is it that bothers so many people about the names Dagmar and Thyra? IMHO both names are rather pretty.

Much simple. Its the danish pronouncing of the names that bothers ppl i think. they sounds like a 80 year old woman to be honest.

and Dagmar especially doesnt sound feminine to me at all,. Thyra is still not b ad., but i couldnt see anyone calling your beautiful little baby Dagmar!

A few other guesses (even though I personally like Charlotte) :

From Baby names - 20000 name meanings - Top babynames Danish names list: Dagny (From the Old Norse name Dagný, which was derived from the elements dagr "day" and ný "new") , Anne-Lise - the only two I liked

Other names that aren't family names but are pretty and that IMO could go well with the "Princess" title:
Emma, Sarah, Claire, Juliet, Renee (for Prince Henrik mother?)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Her mother is a native English speaker, though, and I suspect she would dislike Dagmar and Astrid. Dagmar has the nickname Daggie, which rhymes with a highly insulting term for homosexuals. Astrid starts with a syllable that is equally insulting in English. I also don't think they will use a name that has not previously been used for a member of the royal family. It will be a name that is common in English and also in use for past Scandinavian princesses. Caroline, Charlotte or Louise still seem like good bets.

bluestocking said:
Astrid starts with a syllable that is equally insulting in English.

I really don't think they would cross Astrid off the list because the first syllable is a synonym for someone's backside. There have been many princesses in Europe named Astrid and I highly doubt their parents cared about what the first syllable sounded like. I think that's overanalyzing the reasons people choose names.

And Daggie doesn't rhyme with the word you're thinking of. It does rhyme with Maggie, though.

bluestocking said:
Dagmar has the nickname Daggie, which rhymes with a highly insulting term for homosexuals.

Dagmar is pronounced (according to Queen Margarethe in "A Royal Family" as Dow-mar.) The Empress Marie Feodorovna who was christened Dagmar was always known as Minnie.

wymanda said:
Dagmar is pronounced (according to Queen Margarethe in "A Royal Family" as Dow-mar.) The Empress Marie Feodorovna who was christened Dagmar was always known as Minnie.

You learn something new everyday, I guess. I had no idea the "g" was silent. Thanks. :flowers:

wymanda said:

Thanks for that had no idea. Guess it sounds a little more more feminine now:flowers:

Dagmar does sound old. But as a middle name it should be fine.

Marengo said:

I guess they look old-fashioned to some people. I personally love the name Thyra. I would like to see Fred and Mary put that in as one of the princess's names.

Sister Morphine said:
I guess they look old-fashioned to some people. I personally love the name Thyra. I would like to see Fred and Mary put that in as one of the princess's names.

Also the danish pronouncing of the name? we dont pronounce it as tyra banks its much more old fashion like we say it :lol:

bluestocking said:
Her mother is a native English speaker, though, and I suspect she would dislike Dagmar and Astrid. Dagmar has the nickname Daggie, which rhymes with a highly insulting term for homosexuals. Astrid starts with a syllable that is equally insulting in English. I also don't think they will use a name that has not previously been used for a member of the royal family. It will be a name that is common in English and also in use for past Scandinavian princesses. Caroline, Charlotte or Louise still seem like good bets.
I believe Astrid is formed from two ancient Norse words, 'ast' and 'rid' and means 'the daughter of Ast'. Also, the pronounciation is not 'asstrid' but more like 'us-trid'. If people start to consider names by what they might mean in some other language, there wouldn't be very many names left! IMO it would be totally boring if everyone would have only English names and speak only English. Diversity rules!

Edit: There seem to be sources that say that 'Astrid' comes from ÁSTRÍÐR and is derived from the Old Norse elements áss "god" and fríðr "beautiful". Dagmar comes from the Old Norse name Dagmær, derived from the elements dagr "day" and mær "maid".

Last edited:
Well, even if the g is silent in Dagmar, I still don't think it's appropriate. There are many other names that are traditional and sound more gentle and sweeter. The name just sounds a bit hard.:)

Actually Dagmar fits right in with Valdemort, that is Valdemar.;)
But hey they might surprise us, take a page from it-chef Jamie Oliver and call her Daisy Boo ( hommage to granny...):rolleyes:

fee said:
Actually Dagmar fits right in with Valdemort, that is Valdemar.;)
But hey they might surprise us, take a page from it-chef Jamie Oliver and call her Daisy Boo ( hommage to granny...):rolleyes:

Hahahaha:ROFLMAO:
I can see it at the christening now- Princess Daisy Boo! Would certainly raise a few eyebrows

crm2317 said:
Hahahaha:ROFLMAO:
I can see it at the christening now- Princess Daisy Boo! Would certainly raise a few eyebrows

*ROFL* me to and i can se Queen Margrethe and Orinceconsort Henrik get a fit about the name...what a pictur:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Dori said:
Well, even if the g is silent in Dagmar, I still don't think it's appropriate. There are many other names that are traditional and sound more gentle and sweeter. The name just sounds a bit hard.:)

In your country it might not be "appropriate" but it is a very old & traditional danish name and has considerable history in the Danish Royal family. :angel:

What do they call her now, just "little Girl" in Danish. It seems to me that they must call her by her name. How do you not call the baby by its name for almost 3 months?

Well, her parents and family do call her by her name... I think it's funny, but... It's tradition! :)

msleiman said:
What do they call her now, just "little Girl" in Danish. It seems to me that they must call her by her name. How do you not call the baby by its name for almost 3 months?

I guess that the reason I am asking is that a some point some member of the staff would let the name slip. I don't understand how they could call her by her name and it does not get out to the media.

It could be that the staff has signed a confidentiality agreement.

msleiman said:
I guess that the reason I am asking is that a some point some member of the staff would let the name slip. I don't understand how they could call her by her name and it does not get out to the media.

How funny would it be if Christian called the baby by her name on saturday and it was caught on camera:ROFLMAO:

Charlotte Louisa Henrietta Margrethe

that would be great! I am also hoping that the name will be Charlotte!

msleiman said:
By using the nickname "Lillepigen" instead?:flowers:

The Swedish king or queen pointed out in an interview on television around the state visit to Denmark that the family still calls Christian by his nickname: Lillemand. (Little man).

That why I was asking the question, because it would seem to hard to keep it from the press. I think that the nicknames are cute!!

I think M&F will find it difficult to call a tiny baby Ingrid. Nevertheless, I think they will honor F's grandmother. My guess the name will be Ingrid Rose Margrethe Mary.

They didn´t say the name yet?, how ridiculous!!!!!

rosana said:
They didn´t say the name yet?, how ridiculous!!!!!

It's not ridiculous it's tradition. We have to wait until the christening to find out the name like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom