Sex Name Godparents & Duchy for Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia's Third Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like they’re going with a popular name for the first name.

Benjamin, Elliot or Theodor

Not sure about the middle names.

So it's a boy!:cool:

Let me add some more names to my prediction: (guessing names is fun:lol:)

Theodor Herbert Louis
- Theodor- classic and traditional name
- Herbert- from sofia's maternal ancestor
- Louis- from cp's maternal ancestor

Christian Anders Leopold
- Christian- common royal name
- Anders- from Sofia's paternal ancestor
- Leopold- from CP's paternal ancestor

Magnus Arthur Ferdinand
- Magnus- traditional royal name
- Arthur- from CP's paternal ancestor
- Ferdinand- from Sofia's paternal ancestor

Felix Jan Joaquim
- Felix- common name
- Jan- sofia's maternal ancestor
- Joaquim- cp's maternal ancestor

George Philip Kristian
- George- traditional name, also from CG's ancestors (both Georg and George)
- Philip- from cp
- Kristian- from sofia

Oliver John August
-Oliver- popular name
- John & August- had been used (variants for John) in both parents' families

I bit doubt that his name will be Christian/Kristian. There is some bad connections with that name on Swedish history.

They seem to like names that are already used in other royal families; so maybe Felix could be a contender?!

I'm not sure there have been any recent Prince Erik's or if the name has been used by the Swedish RF?

I'm not sure there have been any recent Prince Erik's or if the name has been used by the Swedish RF?

Alexander's second name is Erik. I don't recall the Swedes having as little fantasy as the British that they feel the need to use the same name for multiple children (as in siblings).

Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil
Gabriel Carl Walther

The third son of Gustav V was called Erik (1889-1918). He was epileptic and had an intellectual disability that was probably caused by either a birth injury or by his mum being heavily medicated against pneumonia during the pregnancy. Erik died of the Spanish flu.

Alexander's second name is Erik. I don't recall the Swedes having as little fantasy as the British that they feel the need to use the same name for multiple children (as in siblings).

Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil
Gabriel Carl Walther

Sofia's father is Erik Oscar, so that Erik was most probably honoring Sofia's father.

The third son of Gustav V was called Erik (1889-1918). He was epileptic and had an intellectual disability that was probably caused by either a birth injury or by his mum being heavily medicated against pneumonia during the pregnancy. Erik died of the Spanish flu.

Yes I had forgotten about Prince Erik,Duke of Västmanland he died so young just 29.

Could Gustav be a choice? is my bet.

Personally I wonder if it could be prudent to reserve a traditional king's name such as Gustaf for a possible firstborn son of Estelle, but the family did not do that with Carl (Philip) or Oscar.

In any case, this couple seems to prefer names from outside the Swedish royal tradition.

Original name.

And kind of a tribute to late Prince Bertil, who was like a grandfather to Carl-Philip.

Julian Herbert Folke

Prince Julian Herbert Folke of Sweden. Duke of Halland

I really like the name Julian, it's beautiful and unexpected!
Notte a fan of the other two names but I understand they are family names and that's the reason they sound slightly old.
I love the sibset of Alexander, Gabriel and Julian
Again, welcome to the baby prince Julian, Duke of Halland.

2nd Duke of Halland!

Today, it's announced that the third son of the Duke and Duchess of Värmland shall be the Duke of Halland, after Prince Bertil (1912-1997) and Princess Lilian (married 1976, deceased 2013). Somehow, Carl Philip's passion of motor racing inherited from the first Duke of Halland is reflected in his third son's dukedom. Now, Bertil's and Carl Johan's dukedoms are inherited by Carl Philip's sons.

I guess there's a reason why Närke and Västmanland aren't granted, perhaps because the Duke of Närke died unmarried, and the Duke of Västmanland had epilepsy and mild intellectual disability.

Still, this symbolizes the start of an era when all the three dukedoms of Skåneland are held by Swedish princes and princesses. (Had Princess Lilian lived till 103, this would have happened in 2018)
The Duke of Skåne is the youngest child of Victoria, the Duchess of Blekinge is the youngest child of Madeleine, and now, the youngest child (if the couple decides against having a fourth child) of Carl Philip is the Duke of Halland. By both land and population, and now the order of succession, it goes Skåne > Halland > Blekinge.

It's somehow interesting that Julian rhymes with Lilian.

Last edited:
Today, it's announced that the third son of the Duke and Duchess of Värmland shall be the Duke of Halland, after Prince Bertil (1912-1997) and Princess Lilian (married 1976, deceased 2013). Somehow, Carl Philip's passion of motor racing inherited from the first Duke of Halland is reflected in his third son's dukedom. Now, Bertil's and Carl Johan's dukedoms are inherited by Carl Philip's sons.

I guess there's a reason why Närke and Västmanland aren't granted, perhaps because the Duke of Närke died unmarried, and the Duke of Västmanland had epilepsy and mild intellectual disability.

But then there are other Duchies some who never had a Duke and some who have been vacant for much longer than Halland.

I like the name Julian (I think Robin Thicke son is called Julian too, right?), but I must say that I did not expect it, but it was a nice surprise.

The other names are old-fashioned but okay. As for the duchy, it was a lovely gesture ;)

Which duchies are now without a duke?

For now, there are seven dukedoms have never been granted since 1772:
Öland
Dalsland
Bohuslän
Härjedalen
Medelpad
Lappland
Norrbotten

The former two were granted before 1772 when Dalsland was a part of the Duchy of Östergötland and Öland was granted to Carolus Gustavus. The latter five, however, have never been granted, even though Medelpad was a Swedish province since before 1523. Bohuslän and Härjedalen were originally Norwegian, while Norrbotten was formally created a landskap in 1995.

And then, here are the vacant dukedoms:
Västmanland (last held by Erik, vacant since 1918)
Närke (last held by Eugen, vacant since 1947)
Västerbotten (last held by Gustaf Adolf, vacant since death of spouse in 1972)
Småland (last held by Lennart, vacant since 1932 (official) / 2008 (death of spouse))

Uppland is still in some sense active as Marianne Bernadotte, the widow of Sigvard, Duke of Uppland, is still alive.

Perhaps choosing Halland could be seen as an attempt to bind the county/region closer to the Swedish royal family. Interestingly, now the three southernmost counties/regions have their own dukes/dutchess, while the regions are seeking closer ties with Copenhagen. Scania have been a part of the Greater Copenhagen organisation since the bridge was built, Halland joined it in 2019, and Blekinge will join in 2022. It's only 24 years until the 400-years celebration when these three counties became Swedish, is Denmark trying to woo them back?

I don't think it has anything to do with attempting to bring the region closer to the Swedish royal family. Making prince Julian Duke of Halland is clearly in honor/memory of Prince Bertil the previous Duke of Halland.

It's somehow interesting that Julian rhymes with Lilian.

It doesn't rhyme with Lilian; English pronunciation nor Swedish, although Lilian certainly may have been a contributing part of the name, especially if CP and Sofia got to know the duchy ahead of time. Perhaps he would have been "Lilian" if he'd been a girl.

Last edited:
It's probable that if they have a faughter someday, whe will be named Lilian.

It's probable that if they have a faughter someday, whe will be named Lilian.

Possibly, but having a "Julian" and a "Lilian" as siblings gets complicated. You'd wear yourself out calling the both of them. :lol:

Also Leonore has Lilian as a name, and I think there haven't been many, if any, repeats among the eight grandchildren?

:previous: Oscar and Gabriel share their second middle name, Carl, but that's it.

It would be nice to see Prince Daniel to be one of the Godparents. Maybe also Pss Kelly of Stephanie of SCG, sine they are related and some of their friends?

Is there a minimum age for godparents in their church?
Could Estelle be a godparent yet?

Is there a minimum age for godparents in their church?
Could Estelle be a godparent yet?
Estelle is probably to young to be a godparent. The Church of Sweden website says that a godparent has to be baptised (though not necessarily in the Church of Sweden) and an adult. It also says that it's the parish minister that has the final say regarding who's a suitable godparent.

Estelle is probably to young to be a godparent. The Church of Sweden website says that a godparent has to be baptised (though not necessarily in the Church of Sweden) and an adult. It also says that it's the parish minister that has the final say regarding who's a suitable godparent.

And a candidate for a godparent has to be confirmed too, hasn't he/she?

What is the minimal age for confirmation in Sweden?

Back
Top Bottom