Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see him with a second/third home in Africa. If they can figure out somewhere stable/safe enough. Maybe held in someone else's name but at his family's disposal. Maybe Anne is looking for a nice place for Harry while in Madagascar. :lol:

Harry, from what I know of him, doesn't seem to be the type of person that is all that gung-ho on keeping up appearances and one where the bigger the home, the better he looks kind of guy. Andrew, yes because status and prestige is important to him. Harry, no because I think he relishes the "just one of the guys" mode.

If anything, I think his main priority in homes will be focused on the level of privacy and security rather than the size of the place. He's going to be as adamant as William is when it comes to the privacy of his family.

Why do you feel so strongly that Harry should have a large London home and a huge country estate? He has money but most of it is tied up to provide him with an income, so I don't see him spending his own money on a large country estate to keep up. If it is about equality with William, in certain respects he will never be equal- William will be King one day.
I can see them with a country place similar to the Middletons' current home.

Did you ever consider Charles can assist Harry if Harry wanted a larger country home?

4B is more opulent if it has 6 bedrooms, and 4a no one lives in it so I can see it being combined for him. Who knows Harry could have a country home if he wanted to.

He could. :flowers: I think Harry's wife will have a lot of input. If they want children, I think the wife will put a great deal of thought into where the children will be raised and schooled. Of course, Harry will, too, but it won't be solely Harry's biases at work (I would think). So until we see who Harry's wife will be much of this is a coin toss imo.

But again, why does it have to a grand home? It could perfectly well be a small home with just the right amount of bedrooms for them and their future children. I never saw the use of having two reception rooms and the likes.

It doesn't 'have to be' a grand home ;) but Harry is royal, and it is what he has lived around all his life. Generally people go to type when creating a nest for family. These grand homes can (and do) have cozy, 'people sized' normality to them, so one does not exclude the other in my view. :flowers:

He could. :flowers: I think Harry's wife will have a lot of input. If they want children, I think the wife will put a great deal of thought into where the children will be raised and schooled. Of course, Harry will, too, but it won't be solely Harry's biases at work (I would think). So until we see who Harry's wife will be much of this is a coin toss imo.

It doesn't 'have to be' a grand home ;) but Harry is royal, and it is what he has lived around all his life. Generally people go to type when creating a nest for family. These grand homes can (and do) have cozy, 'people sized' normality to them, so one does not exclude the other in my view. :flowers:

I agree 100%!!!

Did you ever consider Charles can assist Harry if Harry wanted a larger country home?

Well perhaps the Duchy of Cornwall would invest in a property and lease it to Harry, but I don't know how much disposable income Charles has to be buying estates for other people. He didn't even spend his own money on Highgrove.

Its a well known fact that Charles chipped in and helped the Cambridges to pay for the redecorating of Apartment 1A to get it to be how they wanted it to be. There is no reason why he couldn't do the same for Harry.

I seriously doubt that Harry will be given a property of his own or have one built for him like was done with Sarah and Andrew. Most likely Harry and family will live in either a Crown Estate property or something on one of the monarch's private estates of Balmoral and Sandringham as a country retreat with a KP apartment as their London base. Its just logical.

Schooling is only really an issue if they plan on making the country home their main home.

William never considered schools with Amner, or Charles with Highgrove. Why? Because London would be their main base and where the kids would be schooled, until if and when they go to boarding school later. That is how it was with William and Harry. I do think the Cambridge kids will eventually go to boarding school, but much older, like Eton age.

If they make London their main home, that is where the kids will be schooled. So if they find they like Birkhall, or a place in Norfolk or Cotswolds or so on, school isn't really a huge sticking point. It will be their home for weekends and holidays.

I think Birkhall is too far from London to be considered as a "weekend" place-it's at least a 6 hour flight to London from Aberdeen (and an 1 1/4 hour drive to Aberdeen from Birkhall/Balmoral) or a 10+ hour train trip.

Schooling is only really an issue if they plan on making the country home their main home.

William never considered schools with Amner, or Charles with Highgrove. Why? Because London would be their main base and where the kids would be schooled, until if and when they go to boarding school later. That is how it was with William and Harry. I do think the Cambridge kids will eventually go to boarding school, but much older, like Eton age.

If they make London their main home, that is where the kids will be schooled. So if they find they like Birkhall, or a place in Norfolk or Cotswolds or so on, school isn't really a huge sticking point. It will be their home for weekends and holidays.

Not sure what you're objecting to. :huh: My point was that where the children get schooled will have a bearing on where they decide to love full-time. I think you are saying the same thing. :flowers:

EDIT: How cute: I mis-typed. ;) I meant to type 'where they live full time' not 'where they love full time' but I'm not changing it because it's so cute (I think). :flowers:

Last edited:
Not sure what you're objecting to. :huh: My point was that where the children get schooled will have a bearing on where they decide to love full-time. I think you are saying the same thing. :flowers:

I don't recall saying I was objecting, just adding to the conversation. Adding my thoughts to your comments. Usually how a discussion goes.

My thoughts. I do feel that both Meghan and Harry are more urbanites than country people, therefore a large place at KP is likely. That doesn't negate at all that they will probably receive a country place on Crown land of a decent size and able to accommodate RPOs if necessary, nor that they won't appreciate it.

Meghan might well have visited Gloucestershire, Norfolk, Highgrove, Sandringham in the past year. However, that's not akin to actually living in a spot and feeling comfortable in it.

That's why the pair might not buy a country property for a while after marriage. After all, Wood Farm, Highgrove and even Birkhall (though I don't think Harry is that fond of Scotland) have plenty of guest accommodation while Meghan makes up her mind. Living in London is one thing but getting away regularly for a few days to a place where you feel relaxed and completely at home is another.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am from Kansas — Middle of the USA —I too am a long time “reader” of the forum. I enjoy reading everything you all post & learning about the Monarchy. My Question:

Has anyone pondered the idea of 4b being renovated for the Gloucester’s?? Then Harry gets their accommodations??

Hello princesstully, and welcome to the forum. There's nothing that could prevent what you suggest happening at all. The only thing against it though, besides the Gloucesters preferring their present location, IMO, is that they have three children who are married and six growing grandchildren, which makes their larger home ideal for big family get-togethers.

Last edited:
My thoughts. I do feel that both Meghan and Harry are more urbanites than country people, therefore a large place at KP is likely. That doesn't negate at all that they will probably receive a country place on Crown land of a decent size and able to accommodate RPOs if necessary, nor that they won't appreciate it.

Meghan might well have visited Gloucestershire, Norfolk, Highgrove, Sandringham in the past year. However, that's not akin to actually living in a spot and feeling comfortable in it.

That's why the pair might not buy a country property for a while after marriage. After all, Wood Farm, Highgrove and even Birkhall (though I don't think Harry is that fond of Scotland) have plenty of guest accommodation while Meghan makes up her mind. Living in London is one thing but getting away regularly for a few days to a place where you feel relaxed and completely at home is another.

Good points :flowers:

As long as they have a main home, in London, its no rush for a country home. Give some time for Meghan and Harry to get the feel for different locations. Who knows, she and Harry may find a real love for Scotland together, or High grove. Unlike Kate, Meghan has spent limited time in the UK and even less as a couple with Harry. They should find an area that they like together if they are going to buy (have bought for them) or lease a place.

Has anyone pondered the idea of 4b being renovated for the Gloucester’s?? Then Harry gets their accommodations??

Not sure why they would?? Whats the point of musical apartments? 4b is said to be quite opulent. If it is not large enough, 4a can likely be merged into it for them. No need to swap houses around. Swapping houses would likely be more expensive anyways. Because Harry wouldn't likely want to move into the Gloucester suite as it is, would want it renovated for them.

Harry would probably get a crown estate country home and his large london base home in Kensington Palace.

Harry would probably get a crown estate country home and his large london base home in Kensington Palace.
Unlikely to her a Crown Estate property. They have to be paid for privately by HM / the PoW. Probably much more economical to give him a home on land already owned by the Queen or the Duchy of Cornwall.

Unlikely to her a Crown Estate property. They have to be paid for privately by HM / the PoW. Probably much more economical to give him a home on land already owned by the Queen or the Duchy of Cornwall.

That's logical.

And those properties would already have security systems and lodging for RPOs in place.

And those properties would already have security systems and lodging for RPOs in place.

Pretty sure most of the Duchy of Cornwall property outside of Highgrove doesn’t have RPO lodging and royal protection level security systems. The same thing with non main houses at Sandringham. Anmer had to be upgraded before the Cambridges moved in. Andrew and Edward live in homes leased from the Crown Estate near Windsor. Why would that be allowed for them but not Harry?

Last edited:
I don't think that the issue is denying Harry a Crown Estate property or not allowing him to live on the private estates at Sandringham or Balmoral, rather it is about setting up Harry to have something to leave to his line, and for that reason I see him getting his own Gatcomb Park gifted to him by Charles. It's anyone's guess where it will be but I suspect it will be Windsor/Berkshire, Gloucestershire or Norfolk

I do see him getting a substantial grace and favor London Home, not on the scale of Clarence House, but probably one of the better KP apartments. In this respect he is going to make out better than his aunt and uncles but he benefits from being part of a smaller pool of working royals in his generation, the only non-heir that Charles has to provide for, with that being amplified by the fact that Charles has likely accumulated considerable wealth during his decades as the Duke of Cornwall.

I think very careful consideration is going to go into wherever Harry sets up residence. It will not be the case, as with William, that eventually he will be "moving on up" and inheriting the properties of the monarch but rather something that will be pernament for his lifetime through his father's reign and through his brother's reign and possibly even into his nephew's reign.

What you say, Queen Claud, makes a lot of sense. As Harry and his family will eventually go the way of the Gloucesters and the Kents, perhaps the residence will be gifted to him rather than leased for the reason being it will always be something that remains in Harry's line.

We'll just have to watch and see what happens. :D

will eventually go the way of the Gloucester's and the Kent's

Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats

Another good point. I'm learning as I go here. Then again, there's always the possibility that Harry could be given a place with a 99 year lease similar to what Andrew has with Royal Lodge. Come to think of it, that 99 year lease kind of thing just might be the most practical solution for Harry. He's guaranteed a lifetime residence that continues on in his family without the worries of the property going out of the Crown Estates or the monarch's personal possession that gets handed down from monarch to monarch.

If anything, the BRF and the Crown Estates are practical and logical. They find the best and practical solutions with the future in mind. :D

Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats
The Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor but rent it out since they can't afford to pay for the upkeep themselves.

The Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor but rent it out since they can't afford to pay for the upkeep themselves.

Because of his brother’s death, the current Duke was the sole heir. Now, there are three children and several grandchildren. The manor will probably end up being sold to pay the taxes after the current Duke and Duchess pass. Similar to the auction on Margaret’s possessions that David and Sarah held.

Last edited:
Because of his brother’s death, the current Duke was the sole heir. Now, there are three children and several grandchildren. The manor will probably end up being sold to pay the taxes after the current Duke and Duchess pass. Similar to the auction on Margaret’s possessions that David and Sarah held.
The taxes wasn't less because Richard was the sole heir but yes I agree that it'd probably be sold off sooner or later if the heirs aren't interested in running the estate. That said, to my knowledge the Gloucester's still farm it so who knows. It's the house that's on a lease not the land itself.

Last edited:
Yeah but what's the alternative? If Harry lives only on crown estate or monarch properties, that may work out well for him but what about his children and grandchildren? I think that any wealthy person has to be smart with their estate planning but I don't know if the prospect that the heirs will be taxed should be the cause of in effect disinheriting one of your children. After all there are plenty of people who have gotten substantial inheritances who were able to stay afloat and prosper. Yeah Harry and/or his heirs may turn out to be ne'er-do-wells or mediocre financial managers but if that's the case then they will have to live with the outcomes of their shortcomings.

Since ONLY the Monarch can pass his/her estate [in its entirety] without punitive taxation, the sole way any other person can pay very little is by setting up Trusts, thus avoiding 'the worst of it' and paying [like the new Duke of Westminster] 'peanuts'. Most Ancestral Homes are now protected in this manner.

Whether the Princess Royal has organised such a trust for Gatcombe Park isn't known, and will only become obvious on her death.

Harry could go down that route, but should that become public knowledge he would attract considerable criticism. Doing what aristocrats and plutocrats do is altogether more difficult for the Royal family, as they are considered public 'property'..

So should the Queen also provide homes for James, Louise, Beatrice, Eugenie and their children too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom