Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 5: October 2018 - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A light suit is definitely less formal than a dark one, that's formal dressing for men 101. I've never liked the Windsor men's preference for all blue suits all the time, so this is a nice departure from that, but the light suit doesn't match the formality of the occasion.

I'm trying to decide what type of shoe would of worked with the cream colored suit (which I think looks great on him). Black (shoe) doesn't seem like the right color either.

LaRae

I'm trying to decide what type of shoe would of worked with the cream colored suit (which I think looks great on him). Black (shoe) doesn't seem like the right color either.

LaRae

I think formal black shoes would work.

LaRae

Brown shoes. Not as heavy and serious as black shoes. But not whenever he is wearing. They’ve been somewhat popular with the young to semi young professional crowd. For some reason, they think it’s cool (it’s not).

Last edited:
:previous: Or tan dress leather shoes with light tan or light blue socks. With a light tan suit. Black shoes would be okay for a light grey suit.

Last edited:
:previous: Or tan dress leather shoes with light tan or light blue socks. With a light tan suit. Black shoes would be okay for a light grey suit.

I may well be going blind :)flowers:!!) but I thought the suit was light grey.

Harry's suit looks creamy/beige to me. Charles often wears similar colour suits in summer (or on visits to hot countries) & adds various shades of brown shoes but for formal occasions he tends to wear black shoes with them. I think it's Harry's unbuttoned jacket & suede shoes that take his look into casual.

They sure are fond of blue in the BRF. :ohmy:

Then we have his Haakon-shoes - and the less said about them the better, so let's erase them from our collective memories. :doh::doh:
Men, let alone gentlemen, do not wear bracelets. If a man has a strong wrist it looks silly! If a man has a slim wrist it looks even more silly. That's why God invented the wristwatch.

You mean, men SHOULDN´T wear bracelets in your opinion! Fact is, that men in various royal houses DO wear bracelets! Remember that not all men have either too strong or slim wrists! Many actually have the accurate right size.

I will never understand what people hold against CP Haakon´s brown leathery shoes...?! I like its informal, unstuffy touch about it and I am bored to death seeing men in black business shoes, unless, may be, they work in a bank. I´m sure he didn´t get rid of his brown shoes and I´d be happy to see him wearing them again.

I loved Harrys outfit at A´s christening (ok, the socks colour is in a too sharp contrast to this dapper summer suit), but I liked his choice of shoes!

The Duke of Sussex wears a pale grey Suit like something from 'Top Man' and ghastly 'casual' shoes', at a very Formal occasion, his elder Brother looks infinitely smarter.

Their Father [as ever] is the best dressed Man present.

Could not disagree more! Finally, finally some (why on earth in 2019 only some...!) royal men start looking a bit more fashionable, smarter. And of course some conservative people start shouting "my goodness, too casual!":bang:
William looks like he was wearing something from his father....:whistling:
It´s great for someone 70, but a man under 40....?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the right burgundy shade could do the trick

The Duke of Sussex wears a pale grey Suit like something from 'Top Man' and ghastly 'casual' shoes', at a very Formal occasion, his elder Brother looks infinitely smarter.

Their Father [as ever] is the best dressed Man present.

Charles is often the best dressed man present. He has taken after his father and can wear a suit extremely well. Edward also wears suits well as they’re properly tailored. William appears to only have one suit that is too short for him on his arms and legs. It’s ridiculous.

As for Harry’s outfit....there are no words. It’s a nice suit for the polo but not for a christening.

I have to admit i liked Harry's light grey suit. Looks like he's been taking a few tips from "Pa", which is no bad thing

I even checked out the appropriate dress and shoes on line from 2 Gentlemen's Dressing sites. Turns out it was the ugly dark blue socks that were the cuckoo in the nest! ?

I think the right burgundy shade could do the trick
Yes I've seen Charles wearing some with his summer suits - I know the shoe colour as 'ox-blood' (not a pretty name!).

(..)
Harry country style next to his wife in Dior made me smile !

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry's suit looks creamy/beige to me. Charles often wears similar colour suits in summer (or on visits to hot countries) & adds various shades of brown shoes but for formal occasions he tends to wear black shoes with them. I think it's Harry's unbuttoned jacket & suede shoes that take his look into casual.

Harry is always looking a bit informal. He came down the stairs in Fiji wearing a tux with the jacket unbuttoned. Meghan was at his side looking like a dream in her Fijian blue gown. :D

I think Harry is more of a rough and tumble outdoorsy active he-man, alpha-male type. He's not much into formal occasions or worrying about staying on point with sartorial matters. As long as he's well-groomed and his clothes fit, he seems happy. He's always been a bit scruffy around the edges. Meghan coming into his life has actually had a positive impact on his fashion profile, with his hair and beard looking neater and better groomed. As well, the cut of his pants since he's been with Meghan are better fitted and more flattering. His clothes also look a bit more polished and well-coordinated with a slightly more varied color palette.

I don't think William is too vain or overly interested in sartorial matters either. We could never accuse either Harry or William of being the dashing, debonair fashion trend-setters that their great-great uncles Edward, Duke of Windsor and George, Duke of Kent were in their day, nor even that their grandmother's first cousin, Prince William of Gloucester was in the late 1960s, early 1970s.

Prince Charles looked up to his older very attractive relative, Prince William. Charles is said to have named his first son after him in tribute. Handsome Prince William of Gloucester died tragically in 1972. He was the most attractive male of the Windsor clan in recent memory, having taken his looks after his mother, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, who died in 2004.

Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 5: October 2018 -

That’s one of the reasons Harry’s light colored suit didn’t seem too informal to me: we’ve seen Charles wear them in summer/visits to hot countries. It’s practical, seasonal and literally suits the environment.

He looks good in light colors too.

Last edited:
Some summer fashion for the royal men so far...

Daniel heading to a Metallica concert with his wife and daughter
https://files.svenskdam.se/uploads/2019/07/Daniel-700x514.jpg
Really like this jacket, modern and cool :cool:

Haakon for a summer photo shoot with his family
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=918fe32337dc5778fb613179ee1cf3d5&oe=5DAB2BC4
Nice...I wont mention the shoes because its summer :sick::lol:

Frederik with his kids at Legoland
http://imageupper.com/s12/1/2/P1562865104319593_1.jpg
I like the dash of purple on is sweater :flowers:

That can't be Daniel.
He is not wearing a tie and suit.
And this can't be Sweden, no one are wearing a tie and suit.
Good one, Polyesco. :lol: You are pulling our legs.

Haakon... Sigh.
There must have been some profound traumatic event in his childhood, that caused his to find comfort in well-worn brown(ish) footwear.
I wonder if he, like dogs, chewed his father's shoes when he was home alone in the palace.
I'm actually quite sure that's the explanation. ?
I believe to have heard someone saying that a nanny with a mischievous sense of humor, gave Haakon a shoe to chew on, rather than a teething ring, and that started his love-affair with well-worn brown shoes. Brown shoes simply make him feel happy and safe. ;)

Then we have Frederik, with a casually attired Swede seen over his shoulder, dressed in blue.
This actually works. It's comfortable, practical (think children and soft-ice. Then think dog and soft-ice!) and first and foremost he blends in. An incognito-outfit.

Would Crown Prince Frederik have looked okay without the sweater?

I must say Frederik might be unrecognisable in a holiday crowd at legoland.
Josephine looks a little taller than Vincent here.
Thanks Polyesco great pics.

Are Hawaii-shirts a part of the theme at this event?
White pants are appropriate summer-attire.

However, one should not wear tank tops in public after one has turned 40, that applies to men and women!
Except of course for Nigella Lawson, she's allowed to wear anything. :D

I love the blue blazer on the King. Also Victoria's dress nice summery look for her.

Prince Laurent on the picture of the 60 wedding Birthday of his parents !

CP Haakon's outfit in Formentera deserves a nod too.

That's the way to do it! :cool:
Who says you can't look stylish in summer-wear, eh? ?
Discreet summer shoes. No showing off toes here. Most toes are better left to the imagination anyway... :whistling:
Light pants with a white shirt, daringly unbuttoned. With a black belt to break things up. It does however require a certain, ahem, body-type. Otherwise the belt will... vanish.
A blue blazer with a handkerchief. Nice!
King Carl Gustav gets :cool::cool::cool::cool: from me.

There is of course an explanation, my dear Polyesco.
Daniel, who is regarded as sensei for Swedish men, is here wearing the required vacation-attire for married Swedish men, who are not yet grandfathers.
He is a poster-boy for the Swedish Ministry of Proper Behavior and Attire. - yes, there is such a ministry in Sweden, laying out rules and guidelines for the Swedish citizens. Otherwise they will only get confused and behave non-conformist and we can't have that! :ohmy: It would be anarchy, if there weren't guidelines! Why, it would be... it would be like Denmark! :eek:
But the Swedes can always look to Daniel to do things the correct way.

Like all Swedish men in Daniel's stage in life, i.e. married, with children, a dog and a Volvo and above the age of 21, he would have got up from the lunch-table at 12.35, having eaten the required 762 calories that the Swedish Ministry for Health recommends for lunch. Then he would have changed for the afternoon-vacation outfit:
A dark-blue suit, with a discreet shirt in a light hue, lest it disturbs the traffic. And since this is a vacation-attire, he has left the top button opened and dispensed with his tie. Yes, it is pretty wild, but you are after all allowed to really let your hair down for three weeks a year, so why not go all out? ?
During the summer, Swedish men on vacation naturally wear light pants and light shoes - to distinguish them from Swedish men who are not on vacation.
The Swedish Ministry for Correct Behavior in Public has stipulated that Swedes who are on vacation must give way to those who are working and that's why they dress differently. And that's why if you ever walk down a sidewalk in Sweden in July, wearing dark pants, you will never have to worry about avoiding other people. They will as a matter of course give you the right of way.

William yesterday at Wimbledon
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...g?crop=1.00xw:0.912xh;0,0.0465xh&resize=480:*

his Wimbledon fashion has really improved over the early years of wearing the tired blue suit
http://d1dlocfje6a34f.cloudfront.ne...h100000w570_kate-middleton-prince-william.jpg
:flowers:

Indeed! It is a clear improvement.
Nothing over-exciting though, but clearly better. Notice his handkerchief. ?
Small steps, you know, small steps.

Last edited:
That's the way to do it! :cool:
Who says you can't look stylish in summer-wear, eh? ?
Discreet summer shoes. No showing off toes here. Most toes are better left to the imagination anyway... :whistling:
Light pants with a white shirt, daringly unbuttoned. With a black belt to break things up. It does however require a certain, ahem, body-type. Otherwise the belt will... vanish.
A blue blazer with a handkerchief. Nice!
King Carl Gustav gets :cool::cool::cool::cool: from me.

There is of course an explanation, my dear Polyesco.
Daniel, who is regarded as sensei for Swedish men, is here wearing the required vacation-attire for married Swedish men, who are not yet grandfathers.
He is a poster-boy for the Swedish Ministry of Proper Behavior and Attire. - yes, there is such a ministry in Sweden, laying out rules and guidelines for the Swedish citizens. Otherwise they will only get confused and behave non-conformist and we can't have that! :ohmy: It would be anarchy, if there weren't guidelines! Why, it would be... it would be like Denmark! :eek:
But the Swedes can always look to Daniel to do things the correct way.

Like all Swedish men in Daniel's stage in life, i.e. married, with children, a dog and a Volvo and above the age of 21, he would have got up from the lunch-table at 12.35, having eaten the required 762 calories that the Swedish Ministry for Health recommends for lunch. Then he would have changed for the afternoon-vacation outfit:
A dark-blue suit, with a discreet shirt in a light hue, lest it disturbs the traffic. And since this is a vacation-attire, he has left the top button opened and dispensed with his tie. Yes, it is pretty wild, but you are after all allowed to really let your hair down for three weeks a year, so why not go all out? ?
During the summer, Swedish men on vacation naturally wear light pants and light shoes - to distinguish them from Swedish men who are not on vacation.
The Swedish Ministry for Correct Behavior in Public has stipulated that Swedes who are on vacation must give way to those who are working and that's why they dress differently. And that's why if you ever walk down a sidewalk in Sweden in July, wearing dark pants, you will never have to worry about avoiding other people. They will as a matter of course give you the right of way.

? ? ?

I was just about to ask why the Swedish men tend to wear the (imo not-recommendable) combination of a light pair of trousers combined with a darker blazer. I noticed that even Chris plays by the rules...

So, apparently, at night they were no longer on vacation but at work (dark shoes! - technically true :D). Daniel even wore a full suit; although I liked CP's suit better. And the king had changed into a darker pair of trousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom