Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Cornwall is really such a great wearer of jewels. May she and Queen Máxima please keep up the royal standards for the future.

:previous: Good to know, thanks Muriel. Bye the bye, I think they are so much lovelier than the Saudi set which isn't exactly chopped liver either.

Fair point. I guess the problem is that the royal ladies of today do not really get a chance to choose their jewellery. It is either handed down, or received as gifts, which means they really do not get a chance to have jewellery that fully reflects their choices.

The Duchess of Cornwall is really such a great wearer of jewels. May she and Queen Máxima please keep up the royal standards for the future.

Indeed. Though I have to say, you rarely see Camilla wear very expensive brooches these days. In the first 3-4 years of her marriage to the PoW, she wore a number of "serious" brooches that had previously been worn by QEQM, but since the economic downturn, she has been very subdued in the brooches she has used.

Indeed. Though I have to say, you rarely see Camilla wear very expensive brooches these days. In the first 3-4 years of her marriage to the PoW, she wore a number of "serious" brooches that had previously been worn by QEQM, but since the economic downturn, she has been very subdued in the brooches she has used.

I'm listening to Bradford's Diana recorded, just now. She mentions a sapphire brooch the POW gave Camilla back in the early 90s. Does anyone know which one this is? I'd love to sit down with the Duchess and sort through her jewelry. There must be great stories there. I actually hope that happens with some writer in the future, though I'm guessing her delight in privacy won't let that happen.

Fair point. I guess the problem is that the royal ladies of today do not really get a chance to choose their jewellery. It is either handed down, or received as gifts, which means they really do not get a chance to have jewellery that fully reflects their choices.
They can reset some things to make them more to their own liking.

They can reset some things to make them more to their own liking.

That's right, and HM has had a hack at a few things.

Personally, I just do no think Camilla is that into jewellery to bother. I think she, quite like HM, wears them as a prop for the job and little more.

That's right, and HM has had a hack at a few things.

Personally, I just do no think Camilla is that into jewellery to bother. I think she, quite like HM, wears them as a prop for the job and little more.
I think she most likes to wear things that have meaning. Some of the brooches from her father and pieces that Charles has given her.

Do you think she would give some of her jewels to Kate and Harry's future wife, or just to her daughter and daughter-in-law?

Do you think she would give some of her jewels to Kate and Harry's future wife, or just to her daughter and daughter-in-law?

I would think that the jewelry that she wears that has meaning to Charles and the BRF such as her engagement ring which was once the Queen Mum's, would be returned to stay with the House of Windsor. Other personal jewelry would go to her own daughters and granddaughters I imagine. I don't see her distributing anything while she's alive but perhaps after her passing it will be stated in her will.

Just my take on things.

Well both Catherine and Harry's future wife have access to a not so small vault of their own mother's personal jewelery.

Camilla has her own daughter and daghter-in-law to pass her personal jewellery on to. But perhaps her engagement ring, with it's strong royal tie could either go back to the vaults or be buried with her.

It's a great question - but one for which we will have no answer for years and years. The Duchess also has a wide circle of friends and you could see pieces moving in that direction as well. But, I hope it's not for many years.

Some pieces she wears might have been purchased by her brother as gifts to her or their mother or grandmother.

His main occupation for more than two decades was dealing in antiques, specializing in jewelry. He continued to dabble in antiques even after starting the Elephant foundation.

I was thinking she might give Catherine and Harry's wife stuff Charles gave her. I know the blue choker is a family piece that we all know will go to her daughter, but the diamonds Charles given her and the pink topaz choker.

:previous: Why? A personal gift is just that, personal. There is no caveat that once she dies they must be left to the giver's family/children. It would be different if they were from the family vaults but they are not.

Charles has a very discerning eye when it comes to jewellery and seems to buy bits here and there to be used in some way at a much later date.

Last edited:
But perhaps her engagement ring, with it's strong royal tie could either go back to the vaults or be buried with her.
IMO it would be criminal for that ring to go into the grave. If QEQM was not burried with it, I cant see why it should be burried with it's more recent wearer!

IMO it would be criminal for that ring to go into the grave. If QEQM was not burried with it, I cant see why it should be burried with it's more recent wearer!

I don't get the need to bury jewels with people. I am all for Camilla's jewels going to the Royal Collection / her children, step-children and their descendants.

The simplest way is all the jewelry got from her pre royal days or family goes to Tom and Laura. The jewelry from Charles goes back to the royal family. There is no reason for the Queen Mum's ring to be buried with Camilla when it can get passed down in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: Why? A personal gift is just that, personal. There is no caveat that once she dies they must be left to the giver's family/children. It would be different if they were from the family vaults but they are not.

Charles has a very discerning eye when it comes to jewellery and seems to buy bits here and there to be used in some way at a much later date.

Oh, I wasn't saying she had to. I just meant if she wanted to leave them something it'd probably be some Charles gave her like the Pink Topaz set.

Does anyone know if there are protocol requirements dealing with the wearing of gifted jewelry?
Example: Can the jewelry be worn outside the U.K?
Do they have to be worn in the presence of the giver?

Instead of wearing her own personal jewelry, I think Camilla should wear the jewelry she received from foreign heads of state during her foreign tours/royal engagements..
Example: The emerald earrings received in Colombia can be worn to a visit to Ireland or Hong Kong..

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are protocol requirements dealing with the wearing of gifted jewelry?
Example: Can the jewelry be worn outside the U.K?
Do they have to be worn in the presence of the giver?

Instead of wearing her own personal jewelry, I think Camilla should wear the jewelry she received from foreign heads of state during her foreign tours/royal engagements..
Example: The emerald earrings received in Colombia can be worn to a visit to Ireland or Hong Kong..

There are no protocol requirements per se, other than the gifts being registered as being part of the Royal Collection.

Camilla (and HM) has used gifts received on official tours for events of state and when visiting other countries. More specifically, Camilla wore the ruby and diamond demi-parure, ostensibly a gift from the Saudi's, whilst in the US. She has also used the emerald and sapphire demi-parures, also reportedly from the Saudi's, at state banquets in the UK and other official engagements.

These are VERY special indeed... they have a 'Duchess of Windsor', forties, vibe about them, and will add 'umph' to elevate the Duchess of Cornwall's greenish 'Tweedy suits'.

Did Camilla actually get earrings from the Irish? Other than the Middle East and the Sultan of Brunei most countries aren't forking over jewels.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

These are VERY special indeed... they have a 'Duchess of Windsor', forties, vibe about them, and will add 'umph' to elevate the Duchess of Cornwall's greenish 'Tweedy suits'.

I would be surprised if Camilla really used these earrings, to me they are just not her style.

AS regards complementing the green tweedy suits, for day wear, Camilla only ever wears pearl and diamond earrings.

I don't think they are Camilla's style, either. You won't hear me say this often about jewelry, but I don't care for those unprocessed emeralds. They just look like agate to me. The gold itself looks nice, but the granules I could do without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom