Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like she has finally hit her stride with her ‘tiara hair’. Her recent updo’s showcase the tiara and frame her face nicely. I was never crazy about the half up/half down look. It looked to casual for a tiara occasion. That said, I liked her wedding look.

I have to agree. To me, she appears to have settled on a tiara hairstyle that works for her.

Kate is wearing her oak leaf hoop earrings today. Do we know anything about the leaf pin she has on her coat?
People who have advocated for her to wear brooches should be happy!

Last edited:
Kate is wearing her oak leaf hoop earrings today. Do we know anything about the leaf pin she has on her coat?
People who have advocated fir her to wear brooches should be happy!

It's her regular leaf and acorn brooch she's been wearing since 2012. You'll notice she also wore it to Christmas 2015.

I'm hoping that we might see the Duchess trying a different tiara in 2019.

Me too. I wanted so long for her to wear the Lover's Knot tiara and now that she has worn it several times, I am ready for something different. I would like to see her wear the Lotus Flower tiara again or even the Halo tiara. I am not holding out much hope of her wearing a different one from these three at least until she is Princess of Wales. But she has pleasantly surprised me with the lovely necklaces she has borrowed from the Queen, so there is hope.

It would be lovely to see Kate alternating the three tiaras she has worn so far. But strangely, that seems not to be how things are done at the British Court. So I expect that we'll keep seeing Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara. But luckily the Cambridges have become regular attendants at State Banquets, so there's probably a few tiara appearances for her coming up next year. I'm looking forward to that!

Fortunately, I think the Lover's Knot suits the DoC very well, so if this is the one she's going to be wearing, at least it's a good one!

And I agree that all the excitement and suspense with Catherine's jewelry seems to come from her borrowed necklaces and earrings, so who knows what else might surface from the depths of the Queen's jewelry vaults?

I completely agree that the lover's knot tiara suits Kate perfectly. And still I wouldn't mind more variety in her tiaras. But I guess we must count ourselves lucky that she has worn three different one's to date.

It would be lovely to see Kate alternating the three tiaras she has worn so far. But strangely, that seems not to be how things are done at the British Court. So I expect that we'll keep seeing Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara. But luckily the Cambridges have become regular attendants at State Banquets, so there's probably a few tiara appearances for her coming up next year. I'm looking forward to that!

Me too. Do you know which state banquets are scheduled for next year, or has that been announced yet?

I think it's unlikely we will see her in other tiaras until she is the Princess of Wales and maybe not even then...that will depend on Camilla.

LaRae

Tis indeed a beautiful pearl necklace . Check out Queen Margrethe's pearl necklace which is Almost identical. It was a wedding gift to Princess Louise of Sweden when she married the Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. The gift was from the Khedive of Egypt in the 1860's. And has passed down through the Dk generations the same as the British necklace has done.
Queen Elizabeth the Queen mother wore Queen Alexandra's pearl necklace often.

Tis indeed a beautiful pearl necklace . Check out Queen Margrethe's pearl necklace which is Almost identical. It was a wedding gift to Princess Louise of Sweden when she married the Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. The gift was from the Khedive of Egypt in the 1860's. And has passed down through the Dk generations the same as the British necklace has done.
Queen Elizabeth the Queen mother wore Queen Alexandra's pearl necklace often.

Indeed, a beautiful classic design. Interesting that the Danish model has been worn (and often) by 4 or 5 different wearers, whereas its British counterpart has only been worn by Queen Alexandra, Queen Elizabeth and now the Duchess of Cambridge.

Indeed, a beautiful classic design. Interesting that the Danish model has been worn (and often) by 4 or 5 different wearers, whereas its British counterpart has only been worn by Queen Alexandra, Queen Elizabeth and now the Duchess of Cambridge.

That is right. The pearl and diamond necklace plays a much more substantial role in the jewel box of the Danish Queen than it does for the ladies of the BRF as they have a much larger collection of jewels to choose from.

Catherines pearl necklace dates from 1863 when Alexandra (nee princess of denmark) married the Prince of Wales. Queen Alexandra died in 1925 and Elizabeth Bowes Lyon married the future George VI in 1923. Which perhaps is why we haven't seen Queen Mary wear it.

Princess Louise of Sweden married the Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark in 1869. So far I haven't seen a photo of her wearing her wedding gift -- the pearl necklace so very much like Alexandra's. Her daughter in law Queen Alexandrine wore it then her daughter in law Queen lngrid wore it before passing it on to Queen Margrethe. The necklace appears to be a favourite of hers.

Both necklaces have quite a history and I am delighted to see Catherine wearing it now.

I think Catherine pairing Alexandra's pearl necklace with the pearl Lovers Knot is a good move. They go well together along with the Collingwood pearl drop earrings. All she needs now is for the Queen to loan her the Kensington bow brooch with the drop pearl.

Now I know you are all going to acuse me of being a glutton for bling! But Hey! We all have to have Some bad habits!
But yes I hear the groans and reluctantly agree it Might be a bit too much. Just might.
I mean I would hate to see these magnificent pieces go all mouldy and tarnished from lack of wear and tear.
Cheers

I think Catherine pairing Alexandra's pearl necklace with the pearl Lovers Knot is a good move. They go well together along with the Collingwood pearl drop earrings. All she needs now is for the Queen to loan her the Kensington bow brooch with the drop pearl.

Now I know you are all going to acuse me of being a glutton for bling!

We are not far from where you would like to see CAtherine get to. Wait a few years, once she has a sash to wear, she will need a brooch to attach it to her dress, and then you just hope she uses a pearl and diamond brooch for the job.

Thank you Muriel. And I chose the Kensington bow brooch because it appears to be the one worn by the Queen the least.

Last edited:
Both necklaces have quite a history and I am delighted to see Catherine wearing it now.

I like the fact that Catherine seems open to delving into the vaults to give long-unseen jewels an airing!

Of course, she needs the Queen's permission to do this.
The Queen doesn't seem to grant permission very readily; Sophie is supposed to be a favorite, but other than the aquamarine tiara, I haven't seen her wearing anything.

Perhaps Catherine has access because she is the future Queen?

Yes indeed a Queens perogative.

I like the fact that Catherine seems open to delving into the vaults to give long-unseen jewels an airing!

Of course, she needs the Queen's permission to do this.
The Queen doesn't seem to grant permission very readily; Sophie is supposed to be a favorite, but other than the aquamarine tiara, I haven't seen her wearing anything.

Perhaps Catherine has access because she is the future Queen?

My view is that this is not about Catherine delving into the vaults, it is HM delving in and suggesting to Catherine what she should possibly wear.

The reason, IMO, these jewels are being provided to Catherine and not Sophie, Meghan or Eugenie (one-off loans of tiaras for weddings excepted) is because she is a future Queen, and eventually all that jewellery will be Catherine's to use as she pleases.

I really believe Her Majesty gets a real kick from seeing Catherine wear so many different pieces she has suggested for her to wear.

You are so right Muriel.

Only 3 people are allowed in the vault. The Queens dresser Angela Kelly, HM, and the chap from Garrards who cleans and maintains the many delicate pieces. Only I don't think Garrards do it any more, might be Collins jewellers.
I am pretty sure Geoffrey Munn was the one who mentioned this one time.

?

Sophie has been wearing one of the Queen's saudiarabian diamond necklaces a few times. Once for the Wedding of Victoria and Daniel in 2010.

I think we will continue to see Catherine wearing "significant" pieces from HM's famous "Vault". Camilla has some amazing pieces and, should she need more, I am sure she could have them, but I believe there is something more behind the loans than the jewellery itself.

Firstly, I think the Queen gets a kick out of seeing Catherine wearing the same sort of great jewellery that she herself wore when she was young. If you track Catherine's jewellery something else pops up immediately and that is that as she has grown more self-assured and confident we have seen the type of jewels she wears in the evening change.

The first pieces HM lent her she wore with her hair down and all we could see was hair tangled in chandelier earrings and tangled and almost obscured the necklace. Her evening dresses were not "gown" and didn't lend themselves to being accessorised by historic jewels, however, over time we ended up with Catherine's last State Banquet and her gown was quite dramatic, almost theatrically so, and she looked totally at ease with a kings ransom on her head and around her neck and wrist.

When you look back at Catherine's evening gowns you can see the evolution of a future Princess of Wales. Her dresses turned to gowns and if we know that if she should choose to wear her hair down, it would not be tangled in nor obscured by her hair. She holds her head a little higher and stands a little straighter these days and the Queen is loving it.

I might like it if it was symmetrical. The asymmetry of that additional pearl throws me off.

There is another pearl there. Could it be twisted up out of the way instead of dangling?
I see that it is in the normal hanging down position in previous photos of the Queen Mother wearing it.

Yes the side pearl is twisted up under the diamond swag. Someone should have noticed and adjusted it for her.
I also think the necklace would look better shortened just a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom