Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was when she visited the Royal Marsden children's Cancer Center with William- and had to remove it to protect the children from germs.

IMO, they are not Diana's earrings, but a similar pair. These picturesdon't show it but Diana's were a much a more modern setting, whilst Catherine's are quite an old setting.

IMO, they are not Diana's earrings, but a similar pair. These picturesdon't show it but Diana's were a much a more modern setting, whilst Catherine's are quite an old setting.
Diana had at least three pairs of sapphire-surrounded-by-diamond earrings that I can remember, and maybe more. I believe that the ones Catherine wears are modified from one of Diana's pairs.

You have to remember that Diana broke up her sapphire suite, so I think Catherine may be wearing one of the smaller pieces.

I would like to see Catherine play around with the suite more. Also, I think she could use the Queen Mother's oval sapphire and diamond brooch. It hasn't seen the light of day in many years. I think she don't have to wear it as a choker like Diana did but wear it as a brooch.

You have to remember that Diana broke up her sapphire suite, so I think Catherine may be wearing one of the smaller pieces.

I would like to see Catherine play around with the suite more. Also, I think she could use the Queen Mother's oval sapphire and diamond brooch. It hasn't seen the light of day in many years. I think she don't have to wear it as a choker like Diana did but wear it as a brooch.

Did that stay with Diana or go back to QEQM?

Did that stay with Diana or go back to QEQM?

The Queen Mother gave it to Diana as a wedding gift. I think it was returned back to The Queen Mother and now may be in the hands of Her Majesty. The Queen hasn't worn it.

The Queen Mother gave it to Diana as a wedding gift. I think it was returned back to The Queen Mother and now may be in the hands of Her Majesty. The Queen hasn't worn it.

So it is in the gift of the Queen, and not one of/the brothers. Thnx Dman

So it is in the gift of the Queen, and not one of/the brothers. Thnx Dman

Yeah, I think that was returned to The Queen. She may give it to Catherine to use or even Harry's future wife. It's a nice piece of jewelry that should be dusted off and used instead of hidden away.

Au contraire, the close up pictures show very easily that Catherine's earrings are a much older setting, less diamonds around, and, even that the sapphire is cut and not cachobon.

If it was a personal gift from the Queen Mother to Diana then it was hers keep. That jewelery was left to her sons and I would expect it resides in the same place as the rest of her jewelery and will stay there until William and Harry decide otherwise. As indeed they did with their mother's engagement ring.

Another blog mentioned Catherine wearing Asprey's woodland collection charms on the necklace she wore arriving in Canberra with the blue dress.

Very pretty and unusual earrings- I don't think we have seen these before.

Elly C - they are also from the last tour. From Anna'sMy small obsessions

"Another win for me during this tour. For the arrival to the Uluru, Duchess wore new Roksanda Ilincic dress Lovina in bespoke colour.
Kate accessorized with Catherine Zoraida leaf earrings, Asprey charms from Woodland collection. I am 100% o... See More"

If it was a wedding gift, it would not have been returned.

I have been surprised we have not seen the Australian wattle brooch loaned on Kate. I thought when the Queen loaned the fern brooch for NZ we would see the wattle then in OZ. Though maybe during the last 2 days in Canberra especially on ANZAC day it will make an apperance

I have been surprised we have not seen the Australian wattle brooch loaned on Kate. I thought when the Queen loaned the fern brooch for NZ we would see the wattle then in OZ. Though maybe during the last 2 days in Canberra especially on ANZAC day it will make an apperance

Frankly, I am not too surprised. Camilla did not use the brooch when she visited in 2012.

:previous: Well, we did get a brooch on ANZAC Day, I understand it was a gift. Unfortunately it is more often obscured by her hair.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g3ZFg8raD...Couple+Attends+Dawn+Services+hQjdsZ5qgxPx.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WvROgcsJm...Couple+Attends+Dawn+Services+dyJrpwnxrelx.jpg

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Apr 24
KP: Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders.

It was a very nice brooch and very nice of Emma to give Catherine the brooch.

I think the duchess downplayed the jewelry and accessories for ANZAC day because the day was a solemn reflection and honoring of the people who made the ultimate sacrifice. She didn't want to be in the spotlight with jewels and such

:previous: Ah, no! The brooch is a Poppy which is the standard for ANZAC Day and worn in it's various forms by Australians and New Zealanders pretty well anywhere in the world on April 25. So for her to wear it was not inappropriate. Not only was it correct but, when you consider where it came from, it was totally de rigueur.

Dman said:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Apr 24
KP: Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders.

Bye the bye, when I was referring to Catherine wearing jewellery it was throughout the New Zealand and Australian tour and not specific to ANZAC Day.

Last edited:
Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 -

I agree the appearance of the NZ fern brooch seemed to herald an appearance of the Wattle, particularly as Kate had worn the Maple leaf brooch on her visit to Canada. I can't think of a more appropriate occasion for it to make an appearance than a visit such as this, particularly as the Queen is very unlikely to visit Australia again. I wish we were able to know a little more about HM 's thinking about her jewels . Does someone hold a post who advises HM on her collection ? I remember seeing an interview with a lady in waiting (?) when she explained there is a record of the jewels worn for each occasion so that they can plan for up and coming events. Oh to be a fly on the wall!

I agree the appearance of the NZ fern brooch seemed to herald an appearance of the Wattle, particularly as Kate had worn the Maple leaf brooch on her visit to Canada. I can't think of a more appropriate occasion for it to make an appearance than a visit such as this, particularly as the Queen is very unlikely to visit Australia again. I wish we were able to know a little more about HM 's thinking about her jewels . Does someone hold a post who advises HM on her collection ? I remember seeing an interview with a lady in waiting (?) when she explained there is a record of the jewels worn for each occasion so that they can plan for up and coming events. Oh to be a fly on the wall!

It occurred to me that the fern brooch is all of a piece - that is, iy is substantial. The wattle is more ethereal and as such travels less well. As we learned that George is a "grabber: at this point, the fern seemed a safe bet just now whereas some wise head might have had the thought that the wattle might be more prone to needing repairs.

I understand that the Duchess could have put the pin on last thing and avoided any issue with grabbing fingers. But she and the Duke do seem the type to hug George as they run out the door.
Finally, I think it possible that the Wattle came along on the trip and that the last minute gift of the poppy changed things up. For the Cambridges it would almost seem to be providence steeping in and showing that duty trumps sparkly bits in people's hearts.
Mind you, I realize that I have too active an imagination and spend too much time thinking about sparkly bits, a family I don't really know and the service of country. It's just me being goofy and dreamy. :dizzy:
It was a fun trip.

:previous: Now the Wattle on ANZAC Day would have definitely been a show stopper and, as such, totally inappropriate.

However, thinking about it, I believe the silver fern and the poppy had the advantage of being 'plain' pieces where her hair could just slide over. An intricate diamond peice would have tangled up in her hair . . . ouch, and then of course, there's George . . . :D

I agree that wearing the Wattle on ANZAC Day would have been too much of an attention grabber and as such should not be the focus of that occasion. The poppy brooch Kate wore was more appropriate and a wiser choice. And as far as her hair tangling in the Wattle's diamonds, the only solution would be to wear it up or in a ponytail. That would also display that gorgeous brooch to perfection! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom