Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to make this right - I am not saying she should not wear custom jewelry at all - if she feels like it. (It is not the silver - it is the fake pearl and glass stones which make it custom....). BUT this was a special event and unique occasion when other ladies really took out their best jewelry - so this is what I found a little strange.
I am not talking about huge statement jewelry - can be small - but "real".
Of course - this is my personal opinion.
On a side note - I thought she looked sensational in that dress and hat. :)

:previous:I agree, Countess, I have nothing against costume jewelry and the faux pearl and diamond earrings are pretty; we know other royal ladies do wear costume jewelry. But for an important event in which Granny's Chips made their appearance and other royal ladies brought out their genuine bijoux, it would have been nice if Kate had worn - if not her wedding earrings - then some other choice that would have been the genuine article.

I enjoy looking at other people's costume jewelry, but I'm not a fan of wearing it myself. I want my jewelry to be the genuine article. I may not have big bling, but I want it real.

^^^I agree with you as well, Kitty; that sums up the contents of my jewelry box, too. In my mind, I don't know where Kate's saving money by buying paste items so as not to wear the real ones she has. She's a royal, so the public would expect her to wear the genuine items in her possession. But to each his/her own, as the saying goes.

Last edited:
To tell the truth I don't care if they are "costume" or not if I like particular jewellery.

As for royals wearing real jewels, the same site have earrings called:
"Glorious Deco drops,
and it is written under them:
we know two pairs that regularly attend State Dinners!

So...

As for real thing, I cannot afford real thing, no for diamonds and gold.. Too much for me, so most of my jewellery is in sterling silver and only few in gold, however I do care for a good quality of what I buy.

I enjoy looking at other people's costume jewelry, but I'm not a fan of wearing it myself. I want my jewelry to be the genuine article. I may not have big bling, but I want it real.
I agree with you Kitty, I don't wear costume jewellery too. I prefer genuine stones, even if set in silver. For example I have freshwater pearls, amethysts, blue topazes, coral, citrines, turquoise paste. I've never spent more than 60€ for these articles. So I think Kate shouldn't weare fakes: if I can afford these jewels she could certainly do the same.
I also have more precious stones (diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, akoya pearls, tahitian pearls), generally I give myself an important gift every Christmas, but I have mostly jewels set with less precious stones.

KittyAtlanta said:

I totally agree my fellow Georgian!

I couldn't agree more. I don't buy a lot of jewelry, but when I'm inclined, I will go for the real thing. I think it's better to have few elegant and real pieces than a ton of fake ones that are the best quality.

^^^I agree with you as well, Kitty; that sums up the contents of my jewelry box, too. In my mind, I don't know where Kate's saving money by buying paste items so as not to wear the real ones she has. She's a royal, so the public would expect her to wear the genuine items in her possession. But to each his/her own, as the saying goes.

I think people (even those with money) sometimes forget that buying a cheaper item doesn't necessarily save money. In fact, it helps one spend more, when the item bought originally breaks, and you need to run to the store and buy a replacement. Yes, the earrings she wore on Tuesday are very pretty, but, if they break and she wants the exact same ones, she'll have to go and spend money over and over, while if she bought the real thing, it would last longer and allow to her to save (not that she's poor by any means of imagination, but if she wants to be money-conscious, it's better to for quality items).

She had them for a year, and Sophie wears them a lot. Why assuming they will break? They do not cost 5 Ł, but 50Ł, is it really so cheap for a pair of silver earrings?
Fort sure it is not where I live, and also from my own personal experience, when you pay a lot, it doesn't mean you get excatly what you paid for. If something is expensive you mainly pay for the brand, designer name and all those sort of things. Only small % is for what you actually paid for. Just MHO.
And if whe would only wear real thing (someone described it at my site that only diamonds are real.. I don't think so) wouldn't you be bored with it after a time?

I'm not sure its possible to get bored wearing real gems.....hehe! I think it would bump up the Duchess style if she had some better jewels. Since she seems to have such weeney bitty taste in jewelry anyway, the real thing would look much better.

Every time she wears costume jewelry, I die a little inside.

Come on, Kate. THINK OF US COMMONERS. We HAVE to wear fake stuff, the least you can do is trot out the good jewels so we can live vicariously through the royal jewels.

This... this is unacceptable to me.
My thought are on the same lines. I wouldn't say I die a little inside, I would say I lose a little more interest.

I actually liked her drop pearl earrings even if the pearls and the diamonds are not genuine, but the material is silver, so they are not a cheap pair.

There are many royal women who wear some very expensive parures which costed millions of $, and they looked cheap and even not half good as Kate in her 50£ earrings.

Why some people are complaining, some said before that Kate has no personality as she's just the mannequin of Diana's jewels, here's the proof she's not, no woman would dare to wear offrable jewels with designer's clothes if she had no personality, also nobody even noticed if the stones were genuine or not when we have seen Kate pictures, so that means she got a refined taste.

i don't know if this has been said yet but princess diana liked to mix them around with the will ones

Also nobody even noticed if the stones were genuine or not when we have seen Kate pictures
I beg to differ, there are people like me who did notice but didn't write a post in the first place. But I agree with Sephora, if Kate feels comfortable wearing "paste" jewellery then who am I to disagree ?

Last edited:
Bored with wearing diamonds? Not in my book; I have a pair of genuine diamond solitaires that I wear very frequently. But naturally, it's always nice to mix it up as well.

Last edited:
I actually liked her drop pearl earrings even if the pearls and the diamonds are not genuine, but the material is silver, so they are not a cheap pair.

There are many royal women who wear some very expensive parures which costed millions of $, and they looked cheap and even not half good as Kate in her 50£ earrings.

Why some people are complaining, some said before that Kate has no personality as she's just the mannequin of Diana's jewels, here's the proof she's not, no woman would dare to wear offrable jewels with designer's clothes if she had no personality, also nobody even noticed if the stones were genuine or not when we have seen Kate pictures, so that means she got a refined taste.

I completely agree with this.
If we'd been told the earrings came from the Queen's vault and were last seen worn by Queen Alexandra at a state banquet, everyone would be impressed and nobody would be the wiser! :whistling:

But now that it's been established that they are faux, suddenly they are cheap-looking and lowering the tone of the monarchy?

I love jewelery and wear both genuine and costume (as did Princess Diana, I might add). It's all a matter of what's becoming to the outfit.

(With pearls, it is especially difficult to tell real from fake).

A lot of the other royal ladies wear costume jewelry. I don't see why it's a problem. If they were all wearing jewels from De Beer's or Mikimoto people would be screaming "Foul! They are spending too much!"

The objective for any women is to wear the jewelry in a way that makes people think it's real. Catherine did this. We all assumed they were real until we foudn out otherwise.

They're not from Diana. They were worn by her and given to Catherine presumably by William.

I don't think Alyend meant they were given by Diana. We all are aware they were most likely given to her by William.
Wonderful to see Diana's earrings again. Kate looks lovely in them and I hope to see her wearing much more of the jewelry we associate so fondly with his wonderful mother. I'd love to see some of Diana's costume pieces on Catherine as well.

It's really lovely to see the earrings again and I hope Kate wears these more often. The sapphires are really a beautiful color in closeup and went so well with her attire.

Last edited:
I really love those earrings. So happy to see her wearing them. They go great with the outfit too, since she's wearing blue.

Such stunning sapphire earrings!

I don't think Alyend meant they were given by Diana. We all are aware they were most likely given to her by William.
Yes Lmarch, you've understood me right. Sorry for my bad english! :flowers:

They're not from Diana. They were worn by her and given to Catherine presumably by William.

Actually, I do not believe these earrings were worn by Diana at all. Diana had similar ones, but the setting was a little different. I think these may have emerged from the BP vaults, or may have been acquired for Catherine by either William or C&C.

muriel said:
Actually, I do not believe these earrings were worn by Diana at all. Diana had similar ones, but the setting was a little different. I think these may have emerged from the BP vaults, or may have been acquired for Catherine by either William or C&C.

Even better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom