Danish Royal Family, Current Events 3: April 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably what you may not be aware of is the similarity of this massacre and the one that occurred in Marys home state of Tasmania in Port Arthur. As a small community Tasmanians were badly affected by the terrible massacre that was also enacted by a young white male of about the same age. There were a few similarities between the 2 incidences which would have not gone unnoticed by the princess. I made the connection immediately and felt very emotional by it.

That massacre was indeed mentioned several times here in DK, because of Mary. IRRC more than 30 were killed in Tasmania.
I'm also certain Mary thought about that when she learned about the details of what went on in Norway.
As you point out, Helenbee, Tasmania is a small community and it seems likely that Mary personally know someone, who was affected by the shooting in one way or another.

Thank you, FasterB :flowers: I knew we could count on you. You ought to write and correct Anna Johannesen. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you, FasterB :flowers: I knew we could count on you. You ought to write and correct Anna Johannesen. ;)
You´re welcome, Muhler :flowers: I should write, that could be a lot of fun ;):p;)

Prince Henrik as patron together with Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix has opened the
exhibition "Farewell to the elephants" in Copenhagen on September 1, 2011.

I like the fact that Prince Henrik brought the boys with him to one of the elephant
events again, it's become a nice tradition.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** ppe gallery ** BB gallery: Nikolaj og Felix til elefantparade **

Last edited:

Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Prince Joachim, Princess Marie, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary
attended the inauguration of a monument to Denmark's international efforts in Copenhagen, today, September 5,
2011. Today is Flag Day in Denmark.

** ppe gallery ** danapress/belga gallery ** sn.dk gallery ** bt.dk gallery ** stella/belga gallery **

** BB: De kongelige hyldede soldater i silende regn ** translation **

** kristeligt-dagblad.dk: BILLEDSERIE: Kongelige indvier soldatermonument **

** msn.dk gallery: Marie og Mary markerer flagdagen på Kastellet **

** svenskdam.se: Kunglig invigning av monument – i ösregn **

** purepeople: La princesse Marie, enceinte, et les royaux danois réunis pour un hommage ému **

Last edited:
some comments based on a gallery kindly posted by iceflower.

as said before, this monument honors all who have served abroad, whether they came back alive or not. 100.000 Danes have served in various missions abroad sinece 1949.
the monument is divided into three sections.
a large outer section for ceremonies like today.
another inner section listing the places danes have served in these past years.
and a more intimate partly octagonal section, which is intended for reflection, particularly by visiting relatives. here the names of those who have died while serving abroad since 1949 are listed.

sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder
QMII is here placing a wreath at the inscription of the monuoment, which reads:
a time
a place
a human being

representatives from many services, not just the military, who are honored by this monument.

on the other side of the wall, where QMII placed her wreath is the octagonal "fill" in the hole in the wall. here burns an eternal flame.

the innermost part of the monument, with the names. - one more name will be added shortly as yet another soldier was killed in afghanistan a couple of days ago.

all officers and representatives are wearing the full dress uniform, or in case of the honor guard from the roayl lifeguard, the full dress version of the service uniform.

------------

thank you for the many galleries, iceflower :flowers:

it's nice to see henrik, frederik and joachim representing all three branches of the military.

the unveiled monument is in fact in honor of all Danes who have served abroad. in the military, police, un, civil defence and so on.

- in addition those of us who served after 1992 have recieved a veterans card, which will offer a discount in various places. (there are not that many, yet). that's all very well, but what about those who served before 1992?

well, i guess my card will end up in a drawer along with the other discount cards i have...

Thank you for posting information on the monument, Muhler. How is your wrist? Hope you are feeling better.

Thank you for posting information on the monument, Muhler. How is your wrist? Hope you are feeling better.

you are welcome. :)
surprisingly well in fact. Thank you for asking.

there was a parade at christianborg square (seat of the parliament) in the afternoon, and QMII was present there as well. De udsendtes parade
the weather was much better by then.

QMII was also present at the service in holmens kirke - the naval church: Bevæget mindeceremoni i Holmens krike

some comments based on a gallery kindly posted by iceflower.

as said before, this monument honors all who have served abroad, whether they came back alive or not. 100.000 Danes have served in various missions abroad sinece 1949.

This is not a yearly event, correct or am I mistaken? Nice to know that all who served are honored as well.
I think Marie looked lovely but what a pity that it was a rainy day.

This is not a yearly event, correct or am I mistaken? Nice to know that all who served are honored as well.
I think Marie looked lovely but what a pity that it was a rainy day.

it is a yearly event.

the official flagday for people who have served abroad was instituted a few years ago. 5th september is now very much an official day.

the weather was actually good yesterday, there was just some occassional heavy rainfall from time to time.

Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim attended a meeting of the The Royal Copenhagen Shooting
Society at Sølyst Manor near Klampenborg today, September 14, 2011.

** ppe gallery **

Thank you Iceflower. These two Princes are always such a delight to see. I do love Crown Prince Frederik's new motor car, a Fisker KARMA EV hybrid. Almost as bold and handsome as he is.

Last edited:
When is the opening of parliment in Denmark? Coming up?

rubies said:
When is the opening of parliment in Denmark? Coming up?

The Opening of Parliament always takes place on the first Tuesday in October. Which makes it the 4th.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #38, 2011.
Gode kammerater - Good mates.
Written by Henrik Salling.

It was time for the annual bird-shoot of the Royal Copenhagen Shooting Society and Danish Brotherhood (Det Kongelige Kjøbenhavnske (*) Skydeselskab og Danske Broderskab). That took place at Sølyst north of Copenhagen. Usually always with attendance of a member of the DRF, most often Prince Henrik. This time however, Frederik and Joachim took over.
Frederik arrived in his Danish designed Fisker Karma car. A hybrid car.
The members take part in a shooting competition, shooting at birds (not live ones). As far as I can tell from the pics, they are shooting with shotguns - and heavy ones at that! I wonder if they are replicas of old shotguns.
Anyway, Joachim and Frederik soon turned it into a competition between brothers and Joachim was just a tad better.
When the competition had ended it was time for lunch.
Joachim however, returned for the grand dinner in the evening and he got some silverware to take back home.

The shooting society is basically a club for mature gentlemen of position and Prince Henrik and, dare I say, Joachim would feel right at home in that company.

(*) Notice the archaic spelling: kjøbenhavnske with a j, instead of the current: københavnske. That was common spelling in the 1800's.
In some present day Jutlandic dialects it would be spelled and pronounced: kjøwenhavnske. Or in Mrs. Muhler's dialect: Tjøwenhavnske.

Last edited:
The Crown Prince couple certainly have some lovley cars to choose from in their garage. So they shoot at wooden/fake birds? Is that right?

The Crown Prince couple certainly have some lovley cars to choose from in their garage. So they shoot at wooden/fake birds? Is that right?

Yes. Whatever they are made of, they are not live birds.

Dronningen overrækker nyt Tapperhedskors til hjemvendt soldat
I see from the DRF calendar and the Defence site that QMII will present the Cross of Valour (Tapperhedskorset) to a soldier who has just returned home from duty in Afghanistan.
That presentation will take place Saturday at 10.00, at Kastellet. - Which is a part of the fortifications around Copenhagen.

Frederik will also be present.

This is a new order. And it's the first time it will be presented.
Another soldier will be awarded the Defence Medal of Valour (Forsvarets Tapperhedsmedalje) that soldier has also returned from Afghanistan.
This is also the first time the Monarch is presenting orders for bravery in person.

The soldiers are not informed that they will get their orders. Their relatives have been quietly gathered, so this should be a surprise to them.

The Cross of Valour is now the highest order for bravery in DK. - Equivalent to the Victoria Cross.
So far there have been only one medal for bravery, the Medal of Valour. And that was instituted about twelve fifteen years ago.

There has been some critisism because Danish soldiers have for almost twenty years regularly been involved in combat, and intensive combat for several years. And there being only one medal for bravery meant that it was very difficult to obtain it and indeed most who recieved that medal are dead. So there has been a wish for a medal covering feats of bravery that are outstanding but not exceptional. That problem has now been addressed.

The DRF, I.e. the Regent Couple, Frederik, Mary, Joachim and our Marie will very shortly attend the funeral of Mærsk McKinney Møller.

Billed Bladet wrote a little bit about the connection between Mr. Møller, as he was always known and addressed here in DK, and the DRF.

Summary of appendix in Billed Bladet #16, 2012.
Ven med tre kongelige generationer - Friend with three royal generations.
Written by Anna Johannesen, Ulrik Ulriksen and John Lautrup.

Mærsk McKinney Møller attended all official events in the DRF worth mentioning.
He and his late beloved wife Emma, were very close friends of Queen Ingrid. (*)
Mr. Møller was Queen Ingrid's finincial advisor on the other hand her green fingers and talent for gardening influenced the layout of mr. Møller's private garden.
The death of Queen Ingrid in 2000 was a hard blow to mr. Møller and he was indeed one of the few who came inside the private enclosure at Roskilde Cathedral, where Queen Ingrid and Frederik IX is buried, at Queen Ingrid's funeral.
Mærsk McKinney Møller recieved his Order of the Elephant in 2000 as one of only four ordinary Danes, who have recieved that order. He also had a close relationship with the Regent Couple, but just as significantly he also had a very close relationship to the younger generations.
He was naturally invited at M&F's wedding in 2004, where his private jet flew M&F on their honey moon to Kenya.
M&F returned the grace later on in among other places during the official state visit to Vietnam, where Mary promoted a Mærsk sponsored campain for using bicycle helmets.

Joachim, and indirectly Alexandra, were also involved with mr. Møller. As a part of his education Joachim served as an intern at Mærsk in Hong Kong, where he met a Alexandra Manley. Later on Joachim served at Mærsk in Paris.

(*) According to articles elsewhere it is believed that it was very much Queen Ingrid who was behind Mr. Møller recieving the Order of the Elephant.

I was in Holmens Church to sing to two services today and I can tell you that the organ player and the choir (Holmens Kantori) will look sooooo nice and handsome today.

The organ player Jakob Lorentzen is in "kjole og hvidt" (Muhler, help, what´s the english word?) and his order. AFAIR, then he has the order of Dannebrog.
The choir will be in suits and nice dresses :)

I forgot to ask what they were going to sing...

But on my way home from Holmens I stood by the statue of Niels Juel and took this photo of Hr. Møller´s last journey.

558566_10150708114403198_628388197_9379283_115314623_n.jpg

Thank you for the picture of and information on the solemn occasion, FasterB.
Unless I'm much mistaken, kjole og hvidt means white-tie ensemble (or, sometimes, ceremonial robes).

Thank you for the picture of and information on the solemn occasion, FasterB.
Unless I'm much mistaken, kjole og hvidt means white-tie ensemble (or, sometimes, ceremonial robes).
White-tie sounds plausible :flowers: In Denmark we also sometimes call it "penguin", because it looks like a penguin :flowers:

An article from BT: Følsomme Frederik: Tæt på tårer ved Mærsks begravelse - Danmark | www.bt.dk
About the DRF attending the funeral.

Of interest is the picture, which is high-res. You know the drill: click Se stort billede.

Frederik is described as being moved and having red eyes when he left the church.
Queen Anne-Marie also attended the funeral.

- I noticed in some of the clips that the casket was adorned with the Order of the Elephant and the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom