Crown Prince & Crown Princess Akishino Current Events Part 1: May 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown Prince Akishino didn't attend either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The movie event appears to be limited to those who are involved in Japanese sign language or deaf activities.

English video:

It doesn't look like a fun activity at all. Hopefully they enjoyed it a bit more once the cameras were gone. Now they were mainly 'sitting up'.

Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko attended a ceremony at the Chidorigafuchi National Cemetery in Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo, today, October 18:

** gtresnews gallery **

Crown Princess Kiko's father Tatsuhiko Kawashima (81) was urgently hospitalized in Tokyo on October 19. His condition has not been disclosed. He is professor emeritus at Gakushuin University, specializing in economic statistics, and served as advisor to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. He was also professor at Doshisha University until 2011.

Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Mako, and Princess Kako went to the hospital around 2:30pm. By 4pm, Crown Princess Kiko had returned to the residence for public duties with Crown Prince Akishino.

Sources: news24.jp, Sankei, Yomiuri

Crown Princess Kiko's Father Hospitalized | Nippon.com
... The Crown Princess and her two daughters, Princess Mako and Princess Kako, visited the hospital to see him on Tuesday afternoon, according to the sources...
On October 19th, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko remotely attended the 2021 Japan Foundation Awards from their residence.

Photo: Yomiuri

Wishing Professor Kawashima a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
On October 30th, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko remotely attended the 61st Overseas Nikkei Games opening ceremony from their residence. The prince sent a recorded message. About 560 people participated from 32 countries.

Photo: Sankei

On November 1st, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko remotely attended the 150th anniversary ceremony of the National Printing Bureau from their residence. They also inspected a factory in Tokyo and the prince sent a video message.

Photo: Sankei

Crown Princess Kiko's father, Tatsuhiko Kawashima, died at 81 at a hospital in Tokyo before noon on November 4. His daughter Kiko and grandchildren Mako, Kako, and Hisahito visited him since his hospitalization on October 19.

He was professor emeritus at Gakushuin University, specializing in economic statistics, and an expert advisor to a committee of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. He also led volunteer activities in northwestern Thailand for over a dozen years at Doshisha University.

The family will be in mourning.
Crown Prince Akishino - 7 days
Crown Princess Kiko - 90 days
Princess Kako and Prince Hisahito - 30 days

Sources: NHK, Jiji

Condolences to the Kawashima and Akishino families.

ETA: Japan Crown Princess Kiko's father Tatsuhiko Kawashima dies at 81 - Kyodo News

Father of Japan's Crown Princess Kiko Dies at 81 | Nippon.com

Last edited:
Sad news. May he rest in peace.

Good that Princess Mako managed to say goodbye to him before moving to the States.

Does that mean they will be dressed in black and visiting the temple(s) to pray every day? And/or refraining from their royal duties?

I'm glad Mako visited her grandfather. She might've told him, "Grandpa, I'm finally getting married!" I hope that brought him some joy that after years of non-engagement and being pressured to jump hoops to please everyone else, his granddaughter was really, truly, going to marry her love and leave the IF.

Thank you to Prisma for posting the Kyodo News obituary; it was interesting to read.

Known for his frugal lifestyle, Kawashima, a professor of economics, lived in a Gakushuin University faculty dormitory in Tokyo with his family, including Crown Princess Kiko before she married Crown Prince Fumihito in 1990.

The couple met at Gakushuin University, which was originally created for the Japanese peerage, when they were students.

After graduating from the University of Tokyo's Faculty of Economics in 1964, Kawashima went on to obtain a master's degree in economics at a graduate school of the university, Japan's most prestigious academic institution.

Kawashima then continued his studies abroad. In 1971, he earned a doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in the United States. The following year he taught at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania before moving back to Tokyo.

In 1973, he became an assistant professor of economics at Gakushuin University and was promoted to professor in 1976.

For two years from 1977, Kawashima also conducted research at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria. Former princess Mako Komuro stayed at his friend's home in the suburbs of Vienna during a summer vacation when she was 14.

The government's top spokesman, Hirokazu Matsuno, lauded Kawashima for his humanitarian work installing clean water and sewage infrastructure in mountainous northern Thailand with his students, as well as his contributions as a member of an advisory panel to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism.

It is interesting that even with such an eminent, accomplished, and well-connected father (albeit one who chose to live modestly), Kiko is nonetheless widely seen as the "commonest" of the women who have married princes in postwar Japan, which speaks to the high expectations for royal spouses' family backgrounds.

Interesting! Are the periods of mourning established by general custom or are they specific to the imperial family?

I'm glad Mako visited her grandfather. She might've told him, "Grandpa, I'm finally getting married!" I hope that brought him some joy that after years of non-engagement and being pressured to jump hoops to please everyone else, his granddaughter was really, truly, going to marry her love and leave the IF.

Prisma or others can correct me if it is not the case, but I am assuming that on social media there will be many comments full of anger at Mako and Kei for supposedly callously bringing scandal on her grandfather as he lay dying... (Was it known before his hospitalization that he was critically ill? I wonder if the marriage would have been postponed if he was.)

Last edited:
Crown Princess Kiko's father, Tatsuhiko Kawashima, died at 81 at a hospital in Tokyo before noon on November 4. His daughter Kiko and grandchildren Mako, Kako, and Hisahito visited him since his hospitalization on October 19.

He was professor emeritus at Gakushuin University, specializing in economic statistics, and an expert advisor to a committee of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. He also led volunteer activities in northwestern Thailand for over a dozen years at Doshisha University.

Condolences to the Kawashima and Akishino families.

ETA: Japan Crown Princess Kiko's father Tatsuhiko Kawashima dies at 81 - Kyodo News

Father of Japan's Crown Princess Kiko Dies at 81 | Nippon.com

I'm a bit surprised that Fumihito didn't visit his father-in-law while he was terminally ill in hospital. His mourning period is also very short compared to his wife's and children's.

Sad news. May he rest in peace.

Good that Princess Mako managed to say goodbye to him before moving to the States.
Mako and Kei Kumoro visited him last Friday, so a few days after their marriage. They are still in Japan. Their visit to him is one of (at least) three publicly known outings after their marriage; Mako's other outings were a visit to the driver's license office last week (to get her name changed on her license and apply for an international license) and a visit to her parent's home earlier this week.

Last edited:
Does that mean they will be dressed in black and visiting the temple(s) to pray every day? And/or refraining from their royal duties?

[...]
Yes, the Akishino family will wear black, cancel public appearances, and attend services for the late Professor Kawashima.

When Prince Mikasa died in October 2016, the mourning period included more of the Imperial family. [Sankei]

Emperor, Empress, Crown Prince, Akishino, and Hitachi families: 7 days
Princess Yuriko: 90 days
Princesses Nobuko, Akiko, Yoko, Hisako, Tsuguko, and Ayako: 30 days

The autumn garden party was canceled. The Mikasa and Takamado members canceled public appearances. Even though their mourning periods were over by January 1st, the Mikasa and Takamado princesses did not attend New Year events as their matriarch Princess Yuriko was still in mourning.

I assume Crown Princess Kiko will not attend New Year Receptions. Her father was not royal but was a relative of an Imperial family member. Probably her husband and daughter will attend?
Thank you to Prisma for posting the Kyodo News obituary; it was interesting to read.

It is interesting that even with such an eminent, accomplished, and well-connected father (albeit one who chose to live modestly), Kiko is nonetheless widely seen as the "commonest" of the women who have married princes in postwar Japan, which speaks to the high expectations for royal spouses' family backgrounds.

Interesting! Are the periods of mourning established by general custom or are they specific to the imperial family?

Prisma or others can correct me if it is not the case, but I am assuming that on social media there will be many comments full of anger at Mako and Kei for supposedly callously bringing scandal on her grandfather as he lay dying... (Was it known before his hospitalization that he was critically ill? I wonder if the marriage would have been postponed if he was.)
You're welcome.
I think official mourning periods are specific to the Imperial family.
I haven't checked recently but I wouldn't be surprised. The criticism has not let up on Mako or Kei. I don't think Professor Kawashima's health was known.

Some think Mako's marriage trouble is karma because her parents' (unofficial) engagement was announced during Emperor Showa's mourning period and her maternal grandfather's illness leading up to her marriage only reinforces the bad luck.
I'm a bit surprised that Fumihito didn't visit his father-in-law while he was terminally ill in hospital. His mourning period is also very short compared to his wife's and children's.

[...]
I agree it's strange there are no reports of him visiting his father-in-law and his mourning period is so short.

Yes, the Akishino family will wear black, cancel public appearances, and attend services for the late Professor Kawashima.

When Prince Mikasa died in October 2016, the mourning period included more of the Imperial family. [Sankei]

Emperor, Empress, Crown Prince, Akishino, and Hitachi families: 7 days
Princess Yuriko: 90 days
Princesses Nobuko, Akiko, Yoko, Hisako, Tsuguko, and Ayako: 30 days

The autumn garden party was canceled. The Mikasa and Takamado members canceled public appearances. Even though their mourning periods were over by January 1st, the Mikasa and Takamado princesses did not attend New Year events as their matriarch Princess Yuriko was still in mourning.

I assume Crown Princess Kiko will not attend New Year Receptions. Her father was not royal but was a relative of an Imperial family member. Probably her husband and daughter will attend?

You're welcome.
I think official mourning periods are specific to the Imperial family.
I haven't checked recently but I wouldn't be surprised. The criticism has not let up on Mako or Kei. I don't think Professor Kawashima's health was known.

Some think Mako's marriage trouble is karma because her parents' (unofficial) engagement was announced during Emperor Showa's mourning period and her maternal grandfather's illness leading up to her marriage only reinforces the bad luck.

I agree it's strange there are no reports of him visiting his father-in-law and his mourning period is so short.

So, based on the examples it seems that the following 'rules' are applied:
Long period (90 days): spouses and children (would most likely also include parents if still alive) (1st degree; spouse)
Middle period (30 days): children-in-law and grandchildren (2nd degree; spouses of 1st degree)
Short period (7 days): other family members (siblings/nephews/nieces/great-nephews/great-nieces) (3rd or further degree; spouses of 2nd degree)

So, in that case it even stranger that Fumihito opted for the short period, instead of adhering to the same mourning period as his children. The argument that his father-in-law isn't an imperial prince doesn't hold as his children adhere to the same customs as they would have done in case of an imperial family member it seems).

Just my perspective on people who rely on "luck" (marrying on "good" days according to the Buddhist calendar) aren't really Buddhists, I mean they just are into luck or fortune-telling and the like. I've met a few Japanese who laugh about that and say they or their parents married on 仏滅 (butsumetsu which is the day Buddha died, so it's considered an ill omen to have a wedding or celebration) because the venue was cheap or that they didn't really consult the calendar, so they weren't aware.

Marriage is hard work, you have to talk with and trust your spouse. You can't just live in your head and expect things to work the way they do in the movies. If people can't see that Mako and Kei find happiness in being together despite all the years of heartache over the public scrutiny into his past, they ought to know that Mako and Kei are living for themselves, not for them. They are regular people, a newly married couple ready for an adventure.

[...]

So, in that case it even stranger that Fumihito opted for the short period, instead of adhering to the same mourning period as his children. The argument that his father-in-law isn't an imperial prince doesn't hold as his children adhere to the same customs as they would have done in case of an imperial family member it seems).
Oh, I meant the Imperial family observes official mourning periods. I don't think private citizens like Kiko's mother and brother have strict mourning for X days.

Sankei reports the first 20 days of Crown Princess Kiko's mourning will be the heaviest. The Akishino family will refrain from celebrations and rituals during the mourning period. Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako send their condolences.

Besides knowing Professor Kawashima from gatherings with Imperial relatives, Emperor Naruhito was acquainted with the late professor at Gakushuin University.

Per the professor's wishes, the funeral on the afternoon of November 6 will be limited to close family. Flowers and incense are declined. The Akishino family will attend. The IHA reported Professor Kawashima died of mesothelioma.

Last edited:
Oh, I meant the Imperial family observes official mourning periods. I don't think private citizens like Kiko's mother and brother have strict mourning for X days.
Yes, that was clear. I didn't suggest otherwise. I was discussing the Imperial Family's customs (Fumihito's 2 youngest children who adhere to 30 days of morning are imperial prince(ss)) and noticed that Fumihito is not adhering to those.

Sankei reports the first 20 days of Crown Princess Kiko's mourning will be the heaviest. The Akishino family will refrain from celebrations and rituals during the mourning period. Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako send their condolences.

Besides knowing Professor Kawashima from gatherings with Imperial relatives, Emperor Naruhito was acquainted with the late professor at Gakushuin University.

Per the professor's wishes, the funeral on the afternoon of November 6 will be limited to close family. Flowers and incense are declined. The Akishino family will attend. The IHA reported Professor Kawashima died of mesothelioma.

Mesothelioma is the scientific name for 'tissue cancer' (mostly lung tissue); a rare form of cancer.

Wishing the family a good 'farewell' today.

Happy to see the young couple included in the ceremony.

On November 7th, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Kako, Mako and Kei Komuro went to Ochiai Funeral Hall in Shinjuku, Tokyo for another farewell to the Crown Princess' father Professor Emeritus Tatsuhiko Kawashima. The four stayed about ~2 hours, leaving after 11am.

Source: Jiji

On November 7th, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Kako, Mako and Kei Komuro went to Ochiai Funeral Hall in Shinjuku, Tokyo for another farewell to the Crown Princess' father Professor Emeritus Tatsuhiko Kawashima. The four stayed about ~2 hours, leaving after 11am.

Source: Jiji

It clear to see the Akishino family are very close and have accepted Kei Komuro into the family.

I feel for the Crown Princess - she looks so devastated :sad:. Seeing her daughter going through hardship regarding her marriage and now losing her father. It would be hard seeing her eldest daughter leave for the US, but it'll be more significant now.

From a distance, it looks like princess Kiko indeed accepted her daughter's choice of husband. I am not so sure about her husband.

Can someone explain what this second 'farewell/funeral' is about? Apparently, on the 6th at was at his home (with both the crown prince and hereditary prince attending) and on the 7th it was at a funeral home with only, Kiko, Kako, Mako and Kei attending (and not the imperial princes/potential future emperors) - so, when would be the cremation?

The princess left the Imperial House, not the imperial family. What happened to the princess is presst standard for any princess of the blood imperial since WWII.

Mako and Kei Kumoro visited him last Friday, so a few days after their marriage. They are still in Japan. Their visit to him is one of (at least) three publicly known outings after their marriage; Mako's other outings were a visit to the driver's license office last week (to get her name changed on her license and apply for an international license) and a visit to her parent's home earlier this week.

Just read that in addition to this visit last week. Mako also visited her grandfather in hospital together with her mother and sister in the week prior to her marriage.

The princess left the Imperial House, not the imperial family. What happened to the princess is presst standard for any princess of the blood imperial since WWII.

Everything I have read indicates that the public backlash to Mako's choice of husband was unprecedented compared to the previous marriages of other imperial family members. No other princess since WWII was forced by public opinion to decline her dowry or marriage-related ceremonies.

Mako, and the other princesses who have married since the war, left the Imperial Family and from the legal point of view are private citizens like any other Japanese commoner.

Just read that in addition to this visit last week. Mako also visited her grandfather in hospital together with her mother and sister in the week prior to her marriage.

MichaelB shared a source reporting it in this post: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...ptember-2017-2021-a-42955-35.html#post2433376

Sankei refers to the visit on November 7 as the final farewell. I googled Ochiai Funeral Hall 落合斎場 and it's FAQ page includes this description, which Google translates "Ochiai Funeral Home is a general funeral home equipped with a crematorium and a funeral hall. You can do everything from wake up to farewell ceremony, cremation, and dinner. In recent years, there are many people who choose a funeral ceremony in which a farewell ceremony and cremation are held in one day without going to night, or a form called direct cremation in which only cremation is performed without ceremonies. We can handle various funeral styles."

It's customary for the deceased to spend 1 final night at home. Professor Kawashima's family appear to have held the wake/funeral at home on November 6 and the final farewell/ceremony/cremation on November 7.

https://www.japanvisitor.com/japanese-culture/japanese-funerals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_funeral

Regarding hospital visits for Professor Kawashima:

October 19: Kiko, Mako, Kako and Kiko brought Hisahito later in the afternoon (fnn)
October 22: Mako, Kako (fnn2)
October 24: Kiko, Mako, Kako (fnn3)
October 28 or 29: Mako, Kei (fnn4 says 10/28, sponichi says 10/29)
November 4: Kiko, Kako rushed to hospital and Mako also joined (fnn5)

Last edited:
Everything I have read indicates that the public backlash to Mako's choice of husband was unprecedented compared to the previous marriages of other imperial family members. No other princess since WWII was forced by public opinion to decline her dowry or marriage-related ceremonies.

Mako, and the other princesses who have married since the war, left the Imperial Family and from the legal point of view are private citizens like any other Japanese commoner.

MichaelB shared a source reporting it in this post: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...ptember-2017-2021-a-42955-35.html#post2433376

I am used to a difference in a Royal House, Imperial House and royal family / imperial family. Note the capitals and the non-capitals.

The sisters of King Juan Carlos and of King Felipe have left the Casa Real (the Royal House). They -of course- are still very much part of the royal family.

Princess Irene and the late Prince Friso have left the Koninklijk Huis (the Royal House) but -of course- always belonged to the royal family.

Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg belongs to the royal family but is no part of the Royal House.

Prince Louis of Luxembourg is part of the grand-ducal family but is no part of the Maison du Grand-Duc.

Etc.

As we can see in all named examples, not belonging to the House has zero effects on family bonds.

That is what I tried to explain with the newly wed couple: she has left the Imperial House. But of course she, as a granddaughter, niece, daughter and sister to a (future) Emperor always is and will remain part of the imperial family ( = the family of the Emperor ).

Last edited:
Sankei refers to the visit on November 7 as the final farewell. I googled Ochiai Funeral Hall 落合斎場 and it's FAQ page includes this description, which Google translates "Ochiai Funeral Home is a general funeral home equipped with a crematorium and a funeral hall. You can do everything from wake up to farewell ceremony, cremation, and dinner. In recent years, there are many people who choose a funeral ceremony in which a farewell ceremony and cremation are held in one day without going to night, or a form called direct cremation in which only cremation is performed without ceremonies. We can handle various funeral styles."

It's customary for the deceased to spend 1 final night at home. Professor Kawashima's family appear to have held the wake/funeral at home on November 6 and the final farewell/ceremony/cremation on November 7.

https://www.japanvisitor.com/japanese-culture/japanese-funerals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_funeral

Regarding hospital visits for Professor Kawashima:

October 19: Kiko, Mako, Kako and Kiko brought Hisahito later in the afternoon (fnn)
October 22: Mako, Kako (fnn2)
October 24: Kiko, Mako, Kako (fnn3)
October 28 or 29: Mako, Kei (fnn4 says 10/28, sponichi says 10/29)
November 4: Kiko, Kako rushed to hospital and Mako also joined (fnn5)

If we add the funeral ceremonies with everyone attending on the 6th and only Kiko, Mako, Kei and Kako today, we see rather stark differences between the princesses and princes:

Mako: 7
Kiko: 6
Kako: 6
Kei: 3
Hisahito: 2
Fumihito: 1

On November 21st, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko remotely attended the 40th Oita International Wheelchair Marathon in Oita Prefecture. They also met athletes and the prince spoke live at the closing ceremony in the afternoon.

Photos/video: Sankei, Yomiuri, NHK, FNN

Crown Prince, Crown Princess Watch Wheelchair Marathon Online | Nippon.com
[...] "I wish this competition will continue to shine more and more as an event symbolizing an inclusive society in which all people shine," the Crown Prince said at the ceremony.

After the race, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko talked with four runners online. "I think you did really well in the race," the Crown Prince told Tomoki Suzuki, who finished second in the men's race with a Japanese record.

[...]

Reactions: eya
On October 24th, Crown Princess Kiko presented the Princess Chichibu Memorial TB Global Award at the closing ceremony of the virtual 52nd Union World Conference on Lung Health.

Photo: https://www.jatahq.org/news/2448
English transcript of her speech

Skip to 2:55
On October 28th, Crown Princess Kiko recorded a message for the Japan Prize 2021 / 48th International Contest for Educational Media Awards Ceremony which was held on November 9.

Skip to 12:23 at https://www.nhk.or.jp/jp-prize/english/

2021_nhk_edu.jpg

2021_nhk_edu2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom