British State visit to France [postponed] & Germany, 26-31 March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully the visit to Germany will be enjoyable and stress free!

Hope so too, but i see not Problems. And Germany can no be proud to be the country to which Queen Elizabeth II. mad hr last State Visit and King Charles III. his first.

Hope so too, but i see not Problems. And Germany can no be proud to be the country to which Queen Elizabeth II. mad hr last State Visit and King Charles III. his first.

Just hope that public life is not on strike again in Germany like it will be next week monday for example.An outcry,as often as there are strikes there these days.Irresponsible!

The Unions decided yesterday a new national day of protests the 28 th, including strikes. That's their privilege but it would have been really really challenging for the Royal Party to travel by train to Bordeaux, as planned. Some unionists made a point to disturb the visit to obtain a global echo : Charles and Camilla deserve better.

A State Visit is never "business as usual", especially security-wise. Considering the planned national protests on the 28th, the security of the Royals couldn't have been at 100%. It would have been WAY more embarassing to see the King and the Queen of GB somewhat stuck by the strikes like the average man in the street.

There's a national crisis in France, like many before and many after. The focus is on domestic security.

The French,[.....]...All over Europe people work till 66 years and 7 or 8 months,or 67 years,or like we here in NL in 2025 till 68!But the French...nah...strikes and protests,that is what they do best...

It is NOT a National crisis,but a national disgrace for the world to see [.....].Who do they think they are!!Bah,shame on them!

I fully and totally support President Emanuel Macron!By lack of a General de Gaulle,he would know what to do with this lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just hope that public life is not on strike again in Germany like it will be next week monday for example.An outcry,as often as there are strikes there these days.Irresponsible!

That is the public transport which will be on strike on Monday, not everyone like in France. And certainly there are now townhalls who are burning here.

After the Bordeaux town hall was set alight, and the protests turned violent, I am relieved to hear about the State Visit being postponed. The King and Queen Consort would have become political folly.

There is very little sympathy for the French here in Europe, but if they want to bring their nation to a standstill, that is there prerogative. I do believe Macron will be well remembered for saving the generous French pension scheme.

The French,[.....]...All over Europe people work till 66 years and 7 or 8 months,or 67 years,or like we here in NL in 2025 till 68!
But the French...nah...strikes and protests,that is what they do best...

It is NOT a National crisis,but a national disgrace for the world to see [.....].Who do they think they are!!Bah,shame on them!

I fully and totally support President Emanuel Macron!

Xenophobic much ?

As i said before, we are certainely not here to discuss the French pension reform. On a personnal note, i fully support President Macron's politic.

[.....]
The fact is there's is now a level of worrying violence during protests , wich has nothing to do with the usual "oh the French" strikes but is clearly an attempt to somewhat take control of the national institutions. So yes it's a national crisis.

The vast and calm majority of the French can accept the reform (not with open arms sure, but still Macron was clear about it in his program). Now a very vocal minority just want to burn the house France to the ground just for the sake of it, the reform being a pretext. It happened before with the Yellow vests, it's happening again.

[.....]

Last edited:
Let's stick to discussing the state visit(s), and stay away from political commentary unless it directly impacts the visits. Any further posts along those lines will be removed.

The postponement of the visit means that the violence in France is now the headlines of the UK news. The BBC are reporting that it's hoped that the visit can be arranged for early summer, which presumably means June.

Moving slightly away from the more heated comments, I thought it was interesting that Macron and Charles had the phone call rather than the respective governments. I’m not naive to think it hadn’t been ironed out previously by the politicians, but it’s a nice, personal touch which didn’t need to happen.

I'm not aware on the news, does any of this relates to Brexit years ago? I mean, was there a change that affected the French economy, especially for those that travel back and forth using the scary underwater tunnel? Is the economy a factor on these protests?

The situation in France at present is primarily linked to the legislation to raise the retirement age that has just been forced through Parliament. However, it comes at a time when living standards are being squeezed by rising prices and the energy crisis just as they are in many other countries, so yes, the economy is a factor. Brexit is not.

in my opinion, there is no question that postponement was the right decision for both President Macron and the King. The optics of a banquet at Versailles and other pomp and ceremony at a time of civil unrest would play extremely badly in France and the King, however well-insulated from the unrest, would find his first ever state visit overshadowed by current events.

Last edited:
Based on their current state visit, Philippe and Mathilde would probably agree that it is much better to hold a state visit when you are truly welcome instead of a nuisance in times of unrest.

Sad but not surprised. Let's looking forward on Germany on Wednesday :sad::sad:

President Macron misses King Charles III first Glittering Gala Event in Versailles ! All was already prepared since weeks.

As we can witness in another thread about the Belgian State Visit to SA : it's sometimes better to pospone that turning the visit into a total mess.

Be sure that President Macron will do everything to reschedule asap, apparently in the first days of june.

President Macron misses King Charles III first Glittering Gala Event in Versailles ! All was already prepared since weeks.

I don’t think he has glitter, glamour and jewels in his mind at the moment… At least he shouldn’t… Galas can always wait until the moment is right

No doubt the visit to Germany will be a success & a great opportunity to remind ourselves of the abiding ties that bind the two countries.

A great shame about the visit to France but entirely understandable. And if it's to be June then Paris in early summer is stunning! Well Paris is always stunning of course. ?

And slightly off topic but I've always thought Fontainebleau to be far more beautiful than Versailles. It is further away from Paris though.

Last edited:
A great shame about the visit to France but entirely understandable. And if it's to be June then Paris in early summer is stunning! Well Paris is always stunning of course. ?

I agree, Paris (and the rest of France) in early June is just divine and will be a perfect time for a State Visit.

Do we know what time the King and Queen are expected to arrive in Berlin?

Assuming Google Translate hasn't led me astray, Der Spiegel says they will arrive around 2:00 PM local time, with the arrival ceremony around 3:00 and the dinner at 7:30.

The plane is landing imminently.

Wonder whether King Charles' teddy has joined him on his trip to Germany ???

I am so happy about the dresscode of the state banquet! I thought Germany would never ever see a white tie banquet again... This was definitely the first white tie event in Germany since almost 30 years....
Still I don´t understand the double standards when it comes to the circumstances of a state visit of a british royal couple versa other (royal) heads of state! The state visit of a long serving Queen Margrethe II in her 50th year in office, for instance, was a relatively modest affair when you compare the two (no military welcome in the heart of Berlin in front of the symbolic Brandenburg Gate, no white tie etc.)

I noticed that hardly anyone from the ruling Green party, less than from the, virtually, communist Left Party, was present at the banquet (Honi soi qui mal y pense...!).
When it comes to the Queen: I love Camilla´s dress and all her jewels, but why did she chose to wear only the star of the german order of merit whitout the sash...?!
Another observation: There is obviously still no new Family Order of the new King. Perhaps it is not worn before the coronation...?

Last edited:
I am so happy about the dresscode of the state banquet! I thought Germany would never ever see a white tie banquet again... This was definitely the first white tie event in Germany since almost 30 years....
Still I don´t understand the double standards when it comes to the circumstances of a state visit of a british royal couple versa other (royal) heads of state! The state visit of a long serving Queen Margrethe II in her 50th year in office, for instance, was a relatively modest affair when you compare the two (no military welcome in the heart of Berlin in front of the symbolic Brandenburg Gate, no white tie etc.)

I noticed that hardly anyone from the ruling Green party, less than from the, virtually, communist Left Party, was present at the banquet (Honi soi qui mal y pense...!).
When it comes to the Queen: I love Camilla´s dress and all her jewels, but why did she chose to wear only the star of the german order of merit whitout the sash...?!
Another observation: There is obviously still no new Family Order of the new King. Perhaps it is not worn before the coronation...?

It is just "realpolitik". The President of the United States is not treated in the same way as presidents of smaller republics. Likewise, the British monarch does not get the same treatment as monarchs of smaller kingdoms.

EDIT: Apparently the King delivered his speech in English and German.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Baden cousins were invited to the dinner?

Does anyone know if the Baden cousins were invited to the dinner?
The Margrave and Margravine of Baden, and Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, were invited.

I wonder why Camilla didn't wear the sash of her German order.

Last edited:
It is just "realpolitik". The President of the United States is not treated in the same way as presidents of smaller republics. Likewise, the British monarch does not get the same treatment as monarchs of smaller kingdoms.

EDIT: Apparently the King delivered his speech in English and German.
Well, in the older days every state guest was treated with the same sort of protocol and grandeur - there were no differences made, and that´s the way it should be! Everything else is unfair, not very polite and a snub to the visiting nation! But your explanation has one inconsistense, too. Even The King´s respected mother, Elizabeth II, was not given a full white tie state banquet for her last two state visits in 2004 and 2015..!
Besides that, even if the president of the United State would pay a state visit to Germany, he would not be granted with one! So, the seize or "importance" of a country obviously is also not the reason!

I wonder when Camilla didn't wear the sash of her German order.
Yes, very odd indeed!:ermm: As I mentioned above, she only wore the statr of the order of merit, the "Bundesverdienstkreuz".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, very odd indeed!:ermm: As I mentioned above, she only wore the statr of the order of merit, the "Bundesverdienstkreuz".

Usually the exchange of Orders is reciprocal. The British monarch has the habit not to decorate female spouses of heads-of-state. No idea if the partner of the Bundespräsident has received an Order.

That means that the host will not return the favour to the partner of the visiting head-of-state either or "go lower". The King received the Großkreuz in besonderer Ausführung des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (the special version of the Grand Cross in the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany). Queen Camilla maybe received a little step lower: the Große Verdienstkreuz mit Stern des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (the grand Cross of Merit with star in the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany).

To compare with other Queens, I have looked up on the website of the Dutch Royal House and Queen Máxima has two German Orders so to see:

As Princess Máxima she received the Großkreuz des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
As Queen Máxima she received the Großkreuz in besonderer Ausführung des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

We have to see the exact wording of the Decree in which Queen Camilla was given her German Order, the highest one or -to start with- a lower one. Difference is also that the most other Kings do decorate female partners of heads-of-state, so it wil be "anwered" by the recipient.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom