French State Visit to Sweden: 30-31 Jan 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting to see that President Macron is returning all the the royal State visits to France made during the administration of his predecessor François Hollande (except UK).

I'm hoping for Mr. Macron awarding Silvia with the Legion of Honour

I'm hoping for Mr. Macron awarding Silvia with the Legion of Honour
She has already received that one, but for some reason she wore the Order of Merit for the state banquet in 2000.

She has already received that one, but for some reason she wore the Order of Merit for the state banquet in 2000.

I didn't knew. I thought that she not received yet.

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel attended today the briefing about the state visit given by the representatives of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

What a shame the visit was postponed.

The decisions of both countries are understandable.
When the attack occurred, the President of the Portuguese Republic was already in Belgium and the visit was underway. In the case of France, they decided to cancel the visit for security reasons or due to the president's schedule, which may be busier due to these events.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it is postponed.
Here in Belgium they are all at the Royal Palace instead of discusting a lot of things. To Morrow the Prime Minister of Sweden is coming in Brussels to see the place where the 2 peoples of his Country were killed.

The World is currently on fire, it's a logical decision far all parties concerned, especially for two countries targeted by terrorists in less than a week.

It is perhaps the beginning of the the end of State Visits....

It is perhaps the beginning of the the end of State Visits....

If the State Visit had not been postponed, it would be tone-deaf and a political nightmare for the current Swedish government. Two Swedish nationals died in the terror attack - do you believe that the Swedish populous would accept a State Visit to continue?

Press release from the Royal Court:
The state visit from France postponed
H.M. The King and H.E. President Emmanuel Macron have in a phone call during the afternoon, jointly decided to postpone the French state visit to Sweden.
The King conveyed to the President that he looks forward to welcoming the President and Mrs Macron at a later date.
The work to determine a new date for a French state visit to Sweden will begin immediately.
Statsbesöket från Frankrike senarelagt _ Kungahuset.html

Given the dreadful situation in the Middle East and the repercussions its for the best and we may see other events cancelled.

The State Visit from France will take place on 30–31 January 2024. President Emmanuel Macron will visit Sweden together with his wife Brigitte Macron at the invitation of HM The King.
The two-day Visit will begin in Stockholm and conclude in Skåne.
State Visit from France _ Kungahuset

A very short visit ,a lot will be packed into the 2 days.

The rumour was true, it was the French state visit taking place. Have been waiting for the announcement since New Years, perhaps the change of French Prime Minister delayed things a bit?

Glad to see Skåne being on the visit, as I heard that was the plan already in October. They will probably visit Lund University, maybe a chat with the Nobel Prize laureate Anne L'Huillier and The European Spallation Source (ESS), together with a visit to Malmö.

Part of the Skåne visit is the Studentafton (Student Evening) in Lund, which president Macron visits on January 31. He is invited to a conversation about creating a resilient Europe. The evening takes place in the university auditorium and the conversation ends, according to tradition, with students being allowed to ask questions.
Tickets for the event will only be sold to students, this was a prerequisite for Emmanuel Macron to attend.
Together with the president, Emmanuel Macron's wife Brigitte Macron will also come.
Macron kommer till Studentafton – Lundagard.se

"It's great fun, and about time, that Lund's students get to meet a world leader," says Frida Eriksson, chairman of the student evening committee, in a press release.
The president is invited to a conversation about creating a resilient Europe.
"It is particularly relevant now in connection with the upcoming EU elections. Not least in a Europe where skepticism towards the EU is palpable," says Frida Eriksson.
President Macron träffar Lunds studenter

What is the future of the European Union and what is Sweden’s role in it? What is the way forward for achieving a ‘Green Europe’? How can the EU compete with other great powers on the global arena? Questions like these and many others will be addressed during the Studentafton.
Studentafton with President Emmanuel Macron

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and crown princess Victoria were today briefed about the state visit by representatives of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for Silvia finally wearing the Legion of Honour

The two-day visit takes place in Stockholm, Lund and Malmö.

Program
Tuesday 30 January
Welcome ceremony
The state visit begins with a welcome ceremony at the Royal Palace.
The President and the King inspect the Grenadier Company from the Life Guard in the Inner courtyard and national anthems are played.
The presidential couple are then presented to representatives of Sweden's Riksdag and government at a ceremony in the Hall of State. The royal couple greets the French delegation at the same time.
The king and the president then each give their press statement in Lovisa Ulrika's dining room.

Lunch
The royal couple invite the presidential couple to lunch at the Royal Palace. The Crown Princess Couple and the Prince Couple also attend the lunch.

Meeting with the Speaker
In the afternoon, Speaker Andreas Norlén receives President Macron in the Riksdag.

Meeting with the Prime Minister
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson receives President Macron in Rosenbad. In connection with the meeting, the Prime Minister and the President sign a partnership between Sweden and France. The meeting and signing will be followed by a press conference.

Rinkeby School
The Queen and Brigitte Macron visit the Rinkeby School. They are welcomed by the Minister for Schools Lotta Edholm, the Deputy Mayor of Stockholm Emilia Bjuggren and Principal Martin Malmberg. After presentations by the school, the student health team and the student council, a discussion and visit to a classroom follows.

Moderna Museet
The Queen and Mrs Macron visit the Modern Art Museum. There, the Swedish Institute and the Institut français, together with the French Embassy and the Museum, organize a seminar on how the exchange in the fields of visual and performing arts can be strengthened, with a particular focus on regional development and how we reach a young audience.
Parts of the museum's collections will be shown and they will also meet a group of creative young people from Botkyrka. The visit ends with a display of some works from the museum's collections. The director of the museum Gitte Ørskou, the director general of the Swedish Institute Madeleine Sjöstedt and the director of the French Institute Eva Nguyen Binh, welcome. The Minister for Culture Parisa Liljestrand will participate from the government.

Round table discussions and speeches on security policy
The King, the President and Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson participate in a round table discussion on the future of European security with security policy experts from Sweden and France at the Karlberg Palace. The Director of the Swedish Institute of International Affairs, Jakob Hallgren, and the Chancellor of the Defence University, Robert Egnell, greet on arrival.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs Tobias Billström, the Minister for Defence Pål Jonson and National Security Advisor Henrik Landerholm participate in the round table discussion. After it the President gives a longer speech to the cadets of the Defence University and other guests. The King and the Prime Minister also speak.

Gala dinner
The royal couple gives a gala dinner at the Royal Palace to the honor of its guests.

Wednesday 31 January
Business seminar, Sweden-France Business Forum
The King and the President participate in a business seminar - Accelerating Europe's competitiveness - in Stockholm City Hall arranged by Business Sweden. President of the Stockholm City Council Olle Burell and Mayor Karin Wanngård welcome to the City Hall. Jan Larsson, CEO of Business Sweden, opens the forum, which will focus on innovation, green transition and competence provision.
The Crown Princess couple attends and the Minister for Energy, Business and Industry Ebba Busch, Minister for International Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade Johan Forssell, as well as ministers from France participate and speak at the seminar.
The Business Forum ends with a networking lunch in the City Hall.

Arrival Malmö Airport
The presidential couple and the royal couple are welcomed on arrival by Skåne county governor Anneli Hulthén with husband Sten Ljunggren and honorary consul Peter Andrén.

European Spallation Source, ESS
The European collaborative project European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund is first on the program in Skåne. There, the King and the President are received by the Minister for Education Mats Persson and ESS Director General, Professor Helmut Schober. The Minister for Foreign Affairs Tobias Billström is also participating.
After an introductory presentation of the activities at the multidisciplinary research facility by Director General Schober, a visit is made to the accelerator tunnel. France and Sweden are two of 13 member countries of the European Spallation Source ERIC, which jointly finance and operate the facility.

Alfa Laval
The King and the President visit Alfa Laval in Lund. They are welcomed by Tom Erixon, president and CEO. The government is represented by Minister Tobias Billström and Minister Mats Persson. After a presentation of Alfa Laval's work with green conversion, several innovations in the energy value chain are demonstrated, for example heat exchangers made of fossil-free steel and heat pumps. Alfa Laval's operations in hydrogen and nuclear power are also on display. A declaration of intent on cooperation between Sweden and France on nuclear power is signed at a special ceremony.
Then they visit the factory where the company's products are made.

Barnahus
The Queen and Brigitte Macron visit Barnahus in Malmö. There, children who are suspected of being exposed to crime have the opportunity to tell their story to specially trained staff in a safe and specially adapted environment. Instead of being shunted around between different authorities, the children are met by the police, prosecutors, social services, pediatricians and child and youth psychiatry in one and the same place.
The Minister for Social Services Camilla Waltersson Grönwall, municipal councilor Sedat Arif and operations managers Elisabeth Green and Jonas Lander receive and talk about the work being carried out.

Friends
The Queen and Mrs Macron meet the Friends Foundation for a presentation of its work to counter bullying. Friends was founded in 1997 by Sara Damber and has as its vision a world where no child is exposed to bullying. They work in schools and sports associations and for a safe digital environment. Minister Camilla Waltersson Grönwall represents the government. Secretary General Maja Frankel, advisers Anna-Carin Wettefors and Tilda Hesthagen, Friend's Youth Board participate from Friends.

Student evening, Lund University
President Macron is a guest at Student Evening in the presence of the King and Queen and Brigitte Macron. Minister Tobias Billström and Minister Mats Persson represent the government.
Rector Erik Renström receives on arrival at Lund University and Professor of French Jonas Granfeldt gives a short presentation. After an address by the president, Professor Sylvia Schwaag Serger moderates a conversation, which is followed by questions from the students present.

Reception
The presidential couple gives a reception in Lund in honor of the royal couple.

Farewell ceremony Malmö Airport
The state visit ends when the royal couple bid farewell to the president and Mrs Macron at a farewell ceremony at Malmö Airport.
Program för statsbesöket från Frankrike _ Kungahuset

Last edited:
So no cortege through the streets of Stockholm, that always takes place. But if I recall correctly President Macron didn't want that either when he made a state visit to Queen Margrethe.

So no cortege through the streets of Stockholm, that always takes place. But if I recall correctly President Macron didn't want that either when he made a state visit to Queen Margrethe.

Perhaps because of security Issues

Could be that the french president requires extra security… Or just that the schedule is too tight to have a carriage procession as well…

It is an extremly tight programme for a 2-day visit… No margins for delays of any kinds there…

On 30 January, the Speaker Andreas Norlén will receive the French President Emmanuel Macron in connection with the President’s state visit to Sweden. The President’s delegation includes members of the French Parliament.
The President and his delegation will meet, in addition to the Speaker, several party leaders, group leaders and members of the Riksdag from the Committee on Foreign Affairs, Committee on Defence and Committee on EU Affairs.
French President to visit the Riksdag _ Sveriges riksdag

At the end of January, French President Emmanuel Macron will come to Skåne. The visit will affect traffic in both Lund and Malmö, according to the police.
- It is important that people plan their trip. The visit will be noticed in both Lund and Malmö. We have learned from previous state visits and not least the Pope's visit. We will block off as close in time as possible to the motorcade passing. At most 5–10 minutes in advance, says press spokesperson Evelina Olsson.
Stökigt i trafiken när president Macron besöker Skåne _ SVT Nyheter

The Royal Court has updated the program at its website with that the welcome ceremony will be tomorrow at 11.00.

Last edited:
Could be that as well, I guess an old carriage isn't that safe

I agree it is most likely a security issue. American presidents also passed on the carriage ride on state visits to the United Kingdom for example.

My guesses for the orders which each one will receive

Carl XVI Gustaf: has the Legion of Honour, we will see wearing alongside his Navy uniform tomorrow
Silvia: has the Legion of Honour too, I wanna see her finally wearing tomorrow
President Macron: will receive the Serafimerorden, no orders for Brigitte Macron
Victoria: has the National Order of Merit, no upgrade yet
Daniel: he must be awarded with the National Order of Merit or the Grand Officer insignia of the Legion of Honour
Carl Philip and Sofia: should receive the Grand Officer of the Legion of Honour

I don't know about Christina, but I know that Tord has the Officer insignia of the Legion of Honour

Last edited:
My guesses for the orders which each one will receive

Carl XVI Gustaf: has the Legion of Honour, we will see wearing alongside his Navy uniform tomorrow
Silvia: has the Legion of Honour too, I wanna see her finally wearing tomorrow
President Macron: will receive the Serafimerorden, no orders for Brigitte
Victoria: has the National Order of Merit, no upgrade yet
Daniel: he must be awarded with the National Order of Merit or the Grand Officer insignia of the Legion of Honour
Carl Philip and Sofia: should receive the Grand Officer of the Legion of Honour

I don't know about Christina, but I know that Tord has the Officer insignia of the Legion of Honour

Brigitte could be awarded the order of the Polar Star, but I find it unlikely.

I suppose that is decided by the Swedish government, rather than the King personally.

Back
Top Bottom