Belgian National Day - 21 July, 2: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what ? Is it important ? It only shows that he is at ease with his family.
Personally, I also had the same impression watching this clip. Laurent always seemed to be close to his nephews and nieces and his conversation with Gabriel looked quite spontaneous, and Mathilde didn't give me the impression to be embarassed by the situation. As for Laurent supposedly not interacting with Delphine (maybe they did while they weren't being filmed), I also didn't see Astrid interacting with her half-sister while heading to the military parade, and she wasn't at the concert in the evening, maybe she was with her parents. I confess I would have been a bit curious to see the interaction between Delphine and Albert/Paola (they were scheduled to attend the concert, before Albert's health scare), but it certainly was wiser for them to stay away. Albert is on the mend but also still very frail, it was great they could at least make it to the Te Deum, I loved seeing them with King Philippe and his family . The grandchildren and also Philippe himself helping them up the stairs was very good to see. I'm happy that the difficult relationship in the first years of Philippe's reign seem to be behind them

I saw Laurent grabbing Mathilde as rude IMO. Even if you are relaxed with each other there is no need to manhandle someone and to me it felt very much like Laurent having a mini tantrum because Mathilde was speaking too long with Delphine. I had the impression whilst Laurent was the first to speak to Delphine before she was even acknowledged by Albert as his daughter, things had soured a little now.

I had wondered where Astrid was for the concert but I guess it makes senses she may have been with her parents.

Last edited:
Laurent's gonna Laurent, it seems.

What on Earth is wrong with saying "Mathilde, your adult son wants you"? Then she has to apologize to Delphine for him!

It's just a minor moment but this family is too fragile for him not to act a little more politely, however difficult it might be for him.

After viewing the video I am bit surprised that he actually took his sister in law by the arm and pulled her away.:ermm:

A part of this video has already been largely commented here, but a cute moment I had missed is Princess Louise's reaction when Princess Elisabeth comes to greet her. The two cousins seem to be close to each other, as I had read in earlier reports

:previous: the dynamic of the BRF is so interesting, while the older generation (mainly Philippe, Astrid and Laurent) are obviously not in a good term, there seems to be a pretty good or even close relationship between the cousins as well as between uncle/aunt-nephew/niece.

:previous: the dynamic of the BRF is so interesting, while the older generation (mainly Philippe, Astrid and Laurent) are obviously not in a good term, there seems to be a pretty good or even close relationship between the cousins as well as between uncle/aunt-nephew/niece.
Yes, I agree. Certainly the dynamics between Philippe, Astrid and Laurent themselves are complex due to the difficult circumstances of their childhood/upbringing, but it seems that the younger generation gets along well also with their aunts/uncles. Without diminishing King Philippe's role in solving family conflict, which is often mentioned, I remember from the documentary about Paola last year Princess Claire speaking about how her mother-in-law tries to reunite as often as she can all her grandchildren, and King Albert saying the same thing about his wife, adding that his grandchildren are always happy when they're all together among cousins. So, that might be a factor, along with the fact that all sibilings made good marriages with people who seem to get along well with the wider family

I think all the siblings - Philippe, Astrid and Laurent - seem to have married well and whether through their partners' or by learning from the mistakes their own parents made, seem to have been fab parents who have brought up grounded, well rounded children who get along even if they don't live in each others pockets all the time.
Personally I credit the women with a lot of it - we've seen this year how Mathilde and Claire have made a point of talking to and welcoming Delphine and last year (or another I can't remember) we saw Astrid making a point of talking to Delphine and Jim as they walked from the Palace to the parade stands.

I think all the siblings - Philippe, Astrid and Laurent - seem to have married well and whether through their partners' or by learning from the mistakes their own parents made, seem to have been fab parents who have brought up grounded, well rounded children who get along even if they don't live in each others pockets all the time.
Personally I credit the women with a lot of it - we've seen this year how Mathilde and Claire have made a point of talking to and welcoming Delphine and last year (or another I can't remember) we saw Astrid making a point of talking to Delphine and Jim as they walked from the Palace to the parade stands.
Yes, your analysis is certainly correct, but, for the reasons I stated above (including words by Princess Claire) I think that some credit should go to Paola as well as far as the relationship among the cousins and the younger generation is concerned. I'm not talking about Delphine here, which is a different subject I don't want to discuss now

As member of the Royal Association Dynastie et Patrimoine Culturel , we were invited to the te Deum , the Walking Diner and the Defilé. I could not attend.
But to me we never had such a National Day . the Picture taken of the Royal family STANDING before the entrance of the Cathedral was important and moving and King Albert II did it.
After the Defilé ,where two Kings Children participated. This never happen in the other Royals families.
In the park afterwards and at the Cinquantenaire for the evening and no Rain in Brussels.
As the concert was free , we did not hear famous singers , but the whole Royal family on the stage and the King saying with deep emotions e.a. "Happy Belgium". The firework with" 2013-2023" and " Thank you your Majesty" and afterwards our Brabançonne.
The reactions between King Albert II descendence have no interest to me because they are short tweets. It is their story. But nobody was missing this year !

Last edited:
But to we never had such a National Day . the Picture taken of the Royal family STANDING before the entrance of the Cathedral was important and moving and King Albert II did it.
You're right, I'm glad that King Albert managed to attend the Te Deum and the picture of the family standing in front of the cathedral (and where everybody looked happy to be there) was historical, and it could also be the last one like that. Hopefully not, but realistically speaking, it could be

You're right, I'm glad that King Albert managed to attend the Te Deum and the picture of the family standing in front of the cathedral (and where everybody looked happy to be there) was historical, and it could also be the last one like that. Hopefully not, but realistically speaking, it could be

That's why it was so poignant. It's probably KAII's last Te Deum. Even if he lives many more years, I don't think we'll see him out in public too much, and Queen Paola will be where he is.

I think that Albert and Paola grandkids are all good natured, well rounded young people who have been raised in loving homes and it shows, it's clear they have good relationships alongside cousins and they have included Delphine and her family without any issues, I guess it's also easy because both Josephine and Oscar are in the same age bracket as the children of their uncles, so they would have lots of things in common to talk about.

And I remember Delphine saying in an interview that Jim got along very well with Lorenz, which makes sense because he's always been a very good natured kind of man, all of Albert's children seem to have found excellent life partners that have helped them raise their own kids in the best possible way. :flowers:

Yes, she is right next to Prince Nicholas aka mini-Boudewijn.

And how much Josephine resembles Queen Astrid ,especially around the eyes.

That's probably the best royal portrait of the year to me.:wub:

Does Gabriel not also have a sword?

The Belgian Royal children always seem exceptionally bonded and affectionate with one another.

Fantastic job by their parents.;)

Back
Top Bottom