The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

People keep mentioning Grace Kelly but I am starting to wonder if it was really inspired by her or not. I have been browsing and have seen a lot of wedding dresses, all after the 1950s, that have lace at the top covering the shoulders and arms. It makes me think that it is just a common style and not necessarily a direct copy or inspiration for Grace.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
People keep mentioning Grace Kelly but I am starting to wonder if it was really inspired by her or not. I have been browsing and have seen a lot of wedding dresses, all after the 1950s, that have lace at the top covering the shoulders and arms. It makes me think that it is just a common style and not necessarily a direct copy or inspiration for Grace.
My grandmother married in June 1956, and her wedding dress is remarkably similar to Catherine's - buttons down the back, sweetheart neckline, a bit of a collar, full sleeves (not lace though but sheer). If my grandmother's dress had a v-neck, it would be a dead ringer for Catherine's. Unfortunately, I cannot ask my grandmother if she chose her gown before or after the April 1956 Monaco wedding - the timing would be just right but I can't be sure if it was a semi-copycat or simply the 1950s.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Baroness View Post
My grandmother married in June 1956, and her wedding dress is remarkably similar to Catherine's - buttons down the back, sweetheart neckline, a bit of a collar, full sleeves (not lace though but sheer). If my grandmother's dress had a v-neck, it would be a dead ringer for Catherine's. Unfortunately, I cannot ask my grandmother if she chose her gown before or after the April 1956 Monaco wedding - the timing would be just right but I can't be sure if it was a semi-copycat or simply the 1950s.
This is just my supposition but it very well could be a thing of the 1950s. If you watch fashions from that era, the formal gowns were fashionably strapless and full skirted on the Hollywood stars that were so admired then (Grace Kelly included) and for a lot of women were also considered risque' at the time. What probably happened with bridal gowns to make them more acceptable for church wear was to overlay them with lace or sheer material to give the impression of being more moderately covered yet still alluding to the fashionable ball gown look. The 1950s saw women as being a lot more modest in apparel. The bikini although introduced in 1946 was still something mothers didn't let their daughters wear and the mini skirt was just around the corner still.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Nobility

I think we should go some way to acknowledge the work by the ladies of the Royal School of Needlework, who worked on the Carrickmacross lace. The washing of hands every 30 mins must have played hovoc with their skin. Lets hope the were provided with some good hand lotion for when they had finished !!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think there was a lot about Grace's gown to admire, the lace just being one. I like the bow wrap around her waist and the cap. I wonder why Grace's bodice is copied but not the cap. JW
Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think there was a lot about Grace's gown to admire, the lace just being one. I like the bow wrap around her waist and the cap. I wonder why Grace's bodice is copied but not the cap. JW
Because the design of the dress was uniquely Kate's. The style of the overall appearance does seem to relate to the Grace era but I seriously doubt that the design in Kate's mind said "lets do Grace's dress". The lace itself as told elsewhere was a very laborious, time consuming commission with a lot of pride behind it and a lot of meaning. Its even been said that lace from a dress of Diana's was incorporated into it. This wedding dress was uniquely Kate.

It was the style of the dress that was reminiscent of Grace, not the dress itself. Take it from me. From the minute William and Kate got engaged, the dress was a major topic and from many of us.. too overdone. The biggest fear was that she'd go strapless as that's the trend. All past royal and some not so royal dresses were brought into discussion... even Grace's. MY vote was for one like Maria in the Sound of Music.

When Sarah Burton was almost a shoo in for the designer, looking at her designs in wedding gowns made a lot of us cringe. What we failed to recognize is this is a person that can make things happen the way the customer wants it to be. Kate knew what she wanted and to be honest, delivered something uniquely her own. Not something that was a Grace copy, not something deemed to a time period but something that meant something to her.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Courtier

For me Kate's dress just didn't have the wow factor because I have seen it in various forms before, and it lacked sparkle. I have a friend who wore one very similar not handmade lace but it was similar with flowers etc. Even the bridesmaids reminded me greatly of Diana's except I preferred the coloured flowers in their hair rather then the white. I thought she looked nice but all brides do. I actually already guessed her hair, the v neck etc before I even saw her. Glad she stayed true to herself but it is something that has already been seen. As for Pippas dress don't even get me started....
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
For me Kate's dress just didn't have the wow factor because I have seen it in various forms before, and it lacked sparkle. I have a friend who wore one very similar not handmade lace but it was similar with flowers etc. Even the bridesmaids reminded me greatly of Diana's except I preferred the coloured flowers in their hair rather then the white. I thought she looked nice but all brides do. I actually already guessed her hair, the v neck etc before I even saw her. Glad she stayed true to herself but it is something that has already been seen. As for Pippas dress don't even get me started....
Ahhh but to me that was the beauty of the entire wedding. The wedding was of their choosing. We were just invited to watch.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I rated her gown a B. on an A-F scale
I think what Kate tried to do, was have something somewhat traditional (to please the abbey requirements as well as the royal family guidelines), with her own style, and a crowd pleaser all in one. Not an easy task. I personally thought she would go with a boring sheath with a short train and minimum embellishment. I was plesantly surprised with all the lace and the semi-full skirt. I only wish she had gone for a slightly longer train and some sparkle or maybe pearls to add more texture and interest....

Also, for those that criticize the neckline. It was pretty without being overly sexy.
Similarities to Grace Kelly, but in no way a copy. Well done Kate!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Because the design of the dress was uniquely Kate's. The style of the overall appearance does seem to relate to the Grace era but I seriously doubt that the design in Kate's mind said "lets do Grace's dress". The lace itself as told elsewhere was a very laborious, time consuming commission with a lot of pride behind it and a lot of meaning. Its even been said that lace from a dress of Diana's was incorporated into it. This wedding dress was uniquely Kate.
Um, I was not specifically talking about Kate's dress in reference to using it as an inspiration; I was talking about all the royal brides who seem to be inspired by the lacey look of Grace Kelly; Nathalie, Marie-Chantal, Marie of Denmark(kind of, not exactly). I didn't say Kate's dress wasn't unique to her; as a matter of fact I think the dress was very much her and has little similarity to Grace Kelly's. I just think that is people trying to find similarities in anything. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the dress she chose especially the neckline which was daring and I applaud her for doing.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Nobility

Why doesn't somebody just ask her already?!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Nobility

I found this the other day Fine Fabrics Royal Wedding Lace and thought I'd post it for everyone here to take a look at. These people made some of the lace for Catherine's wedding gown. There are nice close ups of the pattern.
I really hope someone on the board can get to the showing and take lots of nice close up pictures for us.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I highly doubt that Catherine's dress was based on Grace Kelly's. I'm 3 years younger than Catherine and I'd never seen Grace's dress before. It's just not a frame of reference for women of our generation - in the UK at least. Ask the average 29 year old British female who Princess Grace was and I'd bet that not many would have any idea.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
I highly doubt that Catherine's dress was based on Grace Kelly's. I'm 3 years younger than Catherine and I'd never seen Grace's dress before. It's just not a frame of reference for women of our generation - in the UK at least. Ask the average 29 year old British female who Princess Grace was and I'd bet that not many would have any idea.
Maybe not for you but if you were marrying into a royal family it would be on your frame of reference bc you'd be doing reasearch to get in the Royal wedding dress frame of mind- Graces was very likely an inspiration and in fact I believe new outlets reported that 'insiders' said Graces was an inspiration......
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I also believe that Catherine's dress wasn't completely based on Grace's, but I would think that she had definitely seen what Grace's dress looked like. That being said, after the wedding I was discussing THE DRESS with my friends and they all loved the style of it. I brought up how people were talking about the similarities to Princess Grace, which was met with blank stares and confusion as to who Grace was! But if the two dresses are to be compared, I completely prefer Catherine's.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Grace's was incrediblly beautiful, Catherine's was love, but underwhelming.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Grace's was incrediblly beautiful, Catherine's was love, but underwhelming.
I'm just grateful that it wasn't a snoozefest. I think she did good.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
I'm just grateful that it wasn't a snoozefest. I think she did good.
I'm happy and grateful that she went the traditional, "old-fashioned" way by wearing sleeves. And long sleeves with that, how long ago did we see those? That is my idea of a proper bride.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Kate's dress was based, in any way, on Grace's gown. It had lace, it had silk, it had emproidery --- as most wedding gowns do have.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Majesty

I think it was a lovely dress, and it worked for Catherine, it worked for the Abbey, it worked for the BRF and it worked for the times we live in. So IMO, well done to Catherine and to the Alexander McQueen team for getting this so right.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding