Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To the contrary, Diana's dress was of such fine fabric that by the time she got to the top of the steps, her gown was completely smooth for the walk down the aisle.

I have a feeling I will love Kates dress.I personally would want to have a simple and modest gown like CP Victoria.Can anyone see Kate in a dress like Victoria?

Yes! I've said as much in another thread! Maybe Kate's dress can have a softer edge and a little less austerity than Victoria's. Victoria's gown was lovely.

Princess Grace
Princess mette marit
Princess Katherine ( Duchess Cambridge)

With all the coverage of William and Catherine's wedding, I saw images of princess Margareth's wedding and I have to say she was stunning. And Catherine's dress is very similar to Margareth's, specially in the top.

my new list:
Favourite:

1. CP Mary of Denmark; (my absolute favourite)
2. Catherine, Dutchess of Cambridge; (she was modern and so princess like, beautiful)
3. Princess Lalla Salma; (her tiara and look was A.M.A.Z.I.NG)
4. Princess Noor Hamzah of Jordan; (love the tradicional feel to it)
5. CP Masako of Japan. (diferent and modern. and a grogeous tiara)

Worst:

1. Princess Mabel of The Netherlands; (what the hell with so many BOWS? ugh)
2. Infanta Elena of Spain; (the look...she looked like my grandma)
3. Ex-princess Alexandra of Denmark. (so old-fashionated and dated style)

now i cant wait to see Charlene, i hope she can blow me away!

I doubt anyone else has noticed this, but I think The Duchess of Cambridge's dress looks a lot like Maria's from The Sound of Music!

royski1 said:
I doubt anyone else has noticed this, but I think The Duchess of Cambridge's dress looks a lot like Maria's from The Sound of Music!

People have mentioned that on the wedding dress thread :) so you're not the only one who sees it .....

Catherine's definitly moves into my top 3.....but for me Mette Marit and Victoria still top.......

Last edited:
Catherine has really nice mix of old-fashionated&modern wedding dress. She look beautiful.

my new list :

CP Maxima
CP Letizia
Queen Margrethe
Duchess of Cambridge
CP Victoria
CP Mathilde
Princess Marie
CP Mary
CP Mette-Marit
Princess Anita
Princess Aimee

for me, catherine's dress is a mix of Maria's and Grace Kelly!!! perfect match:)

Each of the "main" or "best known" wedding gowns in recent years has been distictive and had special qualities.

I do think that in recent years the most magnificent gown in terms of scale was Maxima's, closely followed by Mary's. In terms of cut and structure, Letizia's, Mette-Marit's and Catherine's were all very cleverly designed and made. For the A-typical royal wedding dress, I do still love Victoria's gown as it was made for a real princess!

Letizia's and Catherine's gowns had the most exquisite embroidery/applique.

As to the best? Oh I suppose I'll say Catherine's at the moment because of the structure, cut, understated train (albeit a couple of feet too short!!!), beautifully simple veil and what went into its making.

Favorites:
1. The Duchess of Cambridge
2. The Priness of Asturias
3. Princess Marie of Denmark

Hated:
1. Princess Mable of The Netherlands (Way too over the top)
2. Crown Princess Mary (From the waist up was nice, everything else was a disaster)

I've always love Letizia's wedding dress but I have to say Kate is now my absolute favorite dress, I loved how classic her dress was and her veil and tiara were to die for. I think the reason I loved all three of these dressses is in my opinion they are timeless, I feel like in 10, 20, or 50 years from now you can look at these dressses and see how beautiful they were.

Favorites:
1. Mette Marit, CP of Norway
2. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
3. Letizia, Princess of Asturias

Least Favorites:
1. Sophie, Countess of Wessex
2. Mary, CP of Denmark
3. Mabel, Princess of the Netherlands

Maxima, Marie & Mathilda's gowns were ok, not good, not bad. Although I have to say that I loved Maxima's tiara, definately the best, then Catherine's. I like Mary's the least.

As I said before not in any order
Grace, Letizia, Máxima, Catherine, Marie, Margaret all beautiful brides!

Grace of Monaco
Fabiola of Belgium
Alexandra von Furstenberg(born Alexandra Miller)
Cristina of Spain
Maxima of the Netherlands
Victoria of Sweden

Honorable mention to: Birgitta of Sweden, Mette-Marit of Norway, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge

*********Stay tuned....I might need to update list again in July after the Albert/Charlene wedding in Monaco! :flowers: **************

My new favourites are :

- Princess Claire
- Duchess of Cambridge
- Princess Maxima

My new list

1. Mette-Marit of Norway
2. Victoria of Sweden
3. Mathilde of Belgium
4. Martha Louise of Norway
5. Letizia of Spain
6. Marie of Denmark
7. Cristina of Spain

My new faves

1. Princess Grace
2. Duchess of Cambridge
3. Princess Marie

1.Maxima of Netherlands
2.Mette-Marit of Norway
3.Grace of Monaco
4.Letizia of Spain
5.Victoria of Sweden
6.Princess Royal
7.Princess Margaret

To begin with ,most royal brides' dresses were classy,but simple in itself,as it concerns my tastes I rather prefer more unusual ,vintage or gothic styles(Vivienne Westwood) to the simple ones,but to keep class and originality it's not a simple matter .The celebrities used to have more specific dresses than royals,anyway I'd think it's better to avoid tacky models.
My general preferences go to Nicole Kidman,Jacqueline Kennedi,Celine Dion,Gwen Stephanie and Dita Von Teese styles.Or I prefer styles like this one:
http://www.weddingtemplates.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/silver-wedding-dress-1.jpg
But from the royal brides' dresses I put them in this order of preferences
1.Princess Grace of Monaco timeless style
2.Princess Mary of Denmark
3.Sarah Ferguson(though I'll prefer more strapless modern variant of it)
4.Princess Maxima(I especially like her tiara in combination with all the outfit)
5.Kate,Duchess of Cambridge
6.Isabella Orsini
7.Lady Helen Taylor
8.Duchess of Kent
9.Princess Diana(ideal model for a virgin and very young bride)
10.Princess Marie of Denmark(coquette ,but showing dignity at the same time)
11.Tessy of Luxembourg
12.Princess Letizia
The other models I didn't notice or they are not in my taste at all.

Last edited:
New list of favorite dresses:
1. Infanta Cristina of Spain
2. Victoria of Sweden
3. Letizia of Spain
4. Pr. Marie of Denmark
5. Pr. Claire of Belgium
6. Mette Maritt of Norway
7. Queen Margrethe of Denmark
8. GD Maria Therese of Luxembourg
9. Duchess of York

Worst (to me):
1. Pr. Diana
2. Sophie of Wessex
3. Mary of Denmark
4. Tatiana of Greece
5. Duchess of Cambridge (very dull and disappointing, sorry)
6. Autumn Philips
7. Pr. Mabel

Current Favorites

My current top 10 favorite royal wedding dresses are as follows:

1.Princess Grace of Monaco (She really is THE STANDARD by which all are measured.)

*Princess Margaret (Elegant simplicity-organza-Love the POLTIMORE tiara)

*Princess Anne (Simple, unique - Love the sleeves and pearls - pure white)

*Queen Sophia of Spain (Beautiful lace - love the train from the shoulders)

* Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (Beautiful fabric/ lace veil and bride)

*Princess Diana (Fairytale, Presence, puts her in proportion to Charles, youthful)

*Queen Elizabeth II (for all it's symbolism and detail)

*Princess Maxima (love the lace veil, love the length of the train)

*Lady Sarah (Armstrong-Jones) Chatto (Like mother/like daughter-simplicity)

*Queen Victoria (For giving us WHITE, love the orange blossoms)

I like Crown Princess Mary and Princess Maxima's dresses probably more for the beautiful lace veils than the dresses.

Princess Grace and Crown Princess Mary were just beautiful brides, because they are just beautiful people. I think they could have worn a feed bag with a tiara and looked beautiful. Sometimes who is in the dress is as important as the dress itself as to the impact of the design.

To begin with ,most royal brides' dresses were classy,but simple in itself,as it concerns my tastes I rather prefer more unusual ,vintage or gothic styles(Vivienne Westwood) to the simple ones,but to keep class and originality it's not a simple matter .The celebrities used to have more specific dresses than royals,anyway I'd think it's better to avoid tacky models.
My general preferences go to Nicole Kidman,Jacqueline Kennedi,Celine Dion,Gwen Stephanie and Dita Von Teese styles.Or I prefer styles like this one:
http://www.weddingtemplates.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/silver-wedding-dress-1.jpg
But from the royal brides' dresses I put them in this order of preferences
1.Princess Grace of Monaco timeless style
2.Princess Mary of Denmark
3.Sarah Ferguson(though I'll prefer more strapless modern variant of it)
4.Princess Maxima(I especially like her tiara in combination with all the outfit)
5.Kate,Duchess of Cambridge
6.Isabella Orsini
7.Lady Helen Taylor
8.Duchess of Kent
9.Princess Diana(ideal model for a virgin and very young bride)
10.Princess Marie of Denmark(coquette ,but showing dignity at the same time)
11.Tessy of Luxembourg
12.Princess Letizia
The other models I didn't notice or they are not in my taste at all.

I have to say...the silver bridal gown displayed in that template is very unusual and might be too trendy for some...but I think it is extremely stunning...breathtaking! :whistling:

My FAVS of royal brides gowns is:
1. Kate Middleton
2. Princess Margaret: I love the huge skirt, it reminds me so much of Gone With the Wind)
3. Princess Grace: I really love that she didn't wear a tiara and went completely out of left field with a Juliet style cap. I wish the skirt began lower on her hips and the bow went lower on her stomach. I just felt it would have been better if those two difference were made.
4. Princess Alexandria (Queen Alexandria) circa 1863
* Honorable Mention Jackie Kennedy: Another Gone With The Wind gown
5.Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York: Only two bad things I can say about this gown, the puffy soldiers and the bow at the back. That's it! Everything else was beautiful.
*Honorable Mention, Queen Elizabeth's coronation gown worn in 1953. If I had the money I would totally have that gown for a wedding dress.
6. Princess Mary of Denmark
7. Princess Elizabeth (Elizabeth II): This gown has the unique position of being a dress I personally do not like, but one that I nonetheless recognize as being beautiful and unique. It's another gown where I love the details and the patterns put on the dress.
8. Mette-Marit or Norway: That was probably one of the best trains I have ever seen in history
*Honorable Mention Princess Victoria of Sweden
9. Autumn Kelly circa 2008, married to Peter Philips
10. Camilla Parker Bowels, the blue/greenisn gown with an overcoat

Worst
1. Princess Diana: Everything about it was WRONG! The color, the material, the huge sleeves, the skirt that didn't seem to know where her waist waist was, the lace that just seemed to be thrown anywhere on the dress. The only thing that looked good this day was Diana herself, and thought it gets some criticism, I did also like her hair.
2. Princess Mabel
3. Queen Rania
4. Princess Martha-Louise
5. Masako Owada
6. Mathilde

Last edited:
1. Princess Grace of Monaco
2. Princess Marie of Denmark
3. Duchess of Cambridge
4. Queen Elizabeth II.
5. Princess Letizia
6. Autumn Kelly