The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Brunei

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie
Zina : What sort of "rumors" abt the crown prince before?
I would rather not discuss it Minnie, since it's now ancient history and especially since the Crown Prince is happily married now. It would be disrespectful. Not to mention embarassing for the people involved, should they be reading.
__________________

  #362  
Old 01-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,796
so when the engagement is officially announced, will there be any ceremony to celebrate the occasion? or will it be like the Crown Prince's engagment and only official photos will be released?
__________________

  #363  
Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Brunei engagement ceremonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
so when the engagement is officially announced, will there be any ceremony to celebrate the occasion? or will it be like the Crown Prince's engagment and only official photos will be released?
In Brunei tradition, the couple are not engaged until just before the wedding. When the Crown Prince and Sarah's betrothal was announced, the couple were still not engaged! Because the engagement ceremony hadn't been carried out.

It's not like Western tradition - the couple will get engaged and then announce their wedding. The Prince and Sarah's actual engagement was about 2-3 weeks before the wedding. It is when the boy's representative asks the girls' rep. for her hand in marriage, and gifts are given.

So it will be the same with P. Majeedah, with just official photos released. And the engagement ceremony will take place shortly before the marriage ceremony.
  #364  
Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 144
Yes! Zina is exactly right. Thats why I said royal engagement announcement. It's announcing when they are to get engaged and all the other wedding details. Yeah! your right Zina it's her 1st cousin, well I can't really say why she choose to wed her cousin. But I am very certain that this royal couple is preparing wedding arrangements soon. We just have to wait patiently for the announcement :)
  #365  
Old 01-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: canada, Canada
Posts: 69
Is it a practice of Brunei royal families to marry cousins - same bloodlines does weaken the stock you know.

Dear, I hope Princess Majeedah had a voice in the choice of a spouse. She is an attractive woman and I am sure there is no lack of suitors. Does the Brunei royals consider royalty of other nations - Jordan , Saudi, Malaysia etc.
  #366  
Old 01-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: canada, Canada
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zina
So it's nearly confirmed then, the rumours of Princess Majeedah's forthcoming marriage. People have been talking for a while already, but I didn't like to pass comment, until it's absolutely confirmed from the Palace. I'm sure you remember the rumours about our Crown Prince from a couple years ago and his supposed "fiancee", right Alfie ?

Am I correct, in assuming that Princess Majeedah is to marry her 1st cousin then? I won't say who, in case it's not true...but if it is HIM...then I hope their future children are healthy and normal. Such close inbreeding, does not normally help the future bloodline. It is a shame she could not find someone outside the family. A beautiful girl like her, should not have to marry her cousin. I've also heard stories that he already had a long time girlfriend . Let's hope that it's all just gossip and it is a happy marriage for both of them.
I agree with you Zina on marrying close cousins and the ensuing problems especially in relation to carrying on the bloodlines and health of future offspring. I reckon that is one reason that Crown Prince Billah did not choose to marry someone in direct relation although Sarah's family, the paternal side is remotely related to the Sultante

Heard that CP Billah is acquainted to HRH Princess Sarah since she was 11 when they were introduced through mutual friend at his Coronation, is that true?
  #367  
Old 01-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie
I agree with you Zina on marrying close cousins and the ensuing problems especially in relation to carrying on the bloodlines and health of future offspring. I reckon that is one reason that Crown Prince Billah did not choose to marry someone in direct relation although Sarah's family, the paternal side is remotely related to the Sultante

Heard that CP Billah is acquainted to HRH Princess Sarah since she was 11 when they were introduced through mutual friend at his Coronation, is that true?
Yes it is good that Prince Billah married someone not related to him. There are lots of interesting stories, but I am pretty certain that CP Billah only met Sarah a few months before the official engagement announcement. The announcement was on Saturday, May 15th, 2004. I dont know exactly how long they knew each other before that, but it wasn't more than a few months.
  #368  
Old 01-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Family Photos from CP Billah and P. Sarah's Wedding

Apparently the Sultan's ex 2nd wife, Hjh Mariam did attend the Royal Wedding of the Year, but she wasn't seen in any published photos or on TV . She's not featured in any of the following either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yahoo.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	79334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yahooblue.jpg
Views:	1863
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	79335   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIBlue.jpg
Views:	2301
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	79336  
  #369  
Old 01-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zina
Apparently the Sultan's ex 2nd wife, Hjh Mariam did attend the Royal Wedding of the Year, but she wasn't seen in any published photos or on TV . She's not featured in any of the following either.
thanx for those pics Zina.
I didnt think Princess Mariam attended the wedding. If she did, than it was a kind gesture on part of the Sultan, especially considering even his brother Jefri wasnt there.
The first and last picture, where princess Sarah is wearing red, I've seen pics of that event before but didnt see any pics of the Queen at the ceremony. Did she attend? or were the pictures taken before or after the ceremony?
  #370  
Old 01-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
thanx for those pics Zina.
I didnt think Princess Mariam attended the wedding. If she did, than it was a kind gesture on part of the Sultan, especially considering even his brother Jefri wasnt there.
The first and last picture, where princess Sarah is wearing red, I've seen pics of that event before but didnt see any pics of the Queen at the ceremony. Did she attend? or were the pictures taken before or after the ceremony?
I assume the pictures were taken after the ceremony, because P. Sarah had a veil over her head when she was brought into that ceremony (the Berinai ceremony). In the picture her face is uncovered, so it must have been taken after everything was over. The Queen and other royals did attend, yes.
  #371  
Old 01-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Royal arranged marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie
Is it a practice of Brunei royal families to marry cousins - same bloodlines does weaken the stock you know.

Dear, I hope Princess Majeedah had a voice in the choice of a spouse. She is an attractive woman and I am sure there is no lack of suitors. Does the Brunei royals consider royalty of other nations - Jordan , Saudi, Malaysia etc.
Yes Minnie, it is common practice that the Brunei Royals marry their cousins or close relative. The Sultan himself is married to his cousin, the Raja Isteri (or Queen). His brother Prince Mohammad married his cousin - who happens to be the Queen's sister. The Sultan's eldest daughter, Princess Rashidah married a relative, although he's not a 1st cousin. One of the Sultan's sisters, Princess Nor Ain was married to 1 of the Queen's brothers, who recently passed away. So they are all related somehow.

Only the Crown Prince Billah has broken with tradition, and married an outsider. Maybe this will start a trend of the next generation of Royals marrying outside the family. It's better for them if they do. And no, they would not consider Royals from other countries. Hasn't happened yet, anyway.
  #372  
Old 01-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,796
What about Malaysian royalty? Have Bruneian royals ever married members of the Malaysian royal family? The two families seem to be pretty close.
  #373  
Old 01-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
What about Malaysian royalty? Have Bruneian royals ever married members of the Malaysian royal family? The two families seem to be pretty close.
They have been some consideration over the pass few years of Bruneian royals and Malaysian royals entering marriage but so far never has happened yet. They is a Bruneian lady married into one of the Malaysian royal family though. She is not from the Brunei royal family.

Puan Hjh Mariam (ex wife of Sultan) This is her name now Humera she has not been given princess title. During the crown prince wedding celebration she organised and paid for Anita Sarawak(Malaysian Singer) to come and perform for them at Istana Nurul Iman.
  #374  
Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zina
I assume the pictures were taken after the ceremony, because P. Sarah had a veil over her head when she was brought into that ceremony (the Berinai ceremony). In the picture her face is uncovered, so it must have been taken after everything was over. The Queen and other royals did attend, yes.
Sorry Zina but those pictures were not during the Berinai ceremony. There were during muleh 3 hari (3 days after bersanding ceremony) which the Sultan and the Queen was not present at the official ceremony. But other royal families did attend.
  #375  
Old 01-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie
Sorry Zina but those pictures were not during the Berinai ceremony. There were during muleh 3 hari (3 days after bersanding ceremony) which the Sultan and the Queen was not present at the official ceremony. But other royal families did attend.
Thanks for the clarification Alfie. I remembered Sarah wore red also during Berinai, so that explains my mistake.

I must say though, that the light blue outfit is the best - it's more simple and less elaborate than her other outfits..much more tasteful.
  #376  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie
They have been some consideration over the pass few years of Bruneian royals and Malaysian royals entering marriage but so far never has happened yet. They is a Bruneian lady married into one of the Malaysian royal family though. She is not from the Brunei royal family.

Puan Hjh Mariam (ex wife of Sultan) This is her name now Humera she has not been given princess title. During the crown prince wedding celebration she organised and paid for Anita Sarawak(Malaysian Singer) to come and perform for them at Istana Nurul Iman.
I thought the Sultan's ex-wife was allowed to keep the title. Thanx for the clarification. So is she still on good terms with the Sultan and the Queen?
by the way, do you have any idea why they divorced?
  #377  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I thought the Sultan's ex-wife was allowed to keep the title. Thanx for the clarification. So is she still on good terms with the Sultan and the Queen?
by the way, do you have any idea why they divorced?
Well! good terms as for divorced couple with children goes. When they divorced she was strip off all her titles. I would rather not say Humera, why do couples divorce in the first place?! I will let you think about it :)
  #378  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneret5764
Any recent pics of P. Sarah?
Just the one with the Brunei FA Cup winners I posted earlier. Sorry it isn't very clear though. It was taken from a distance to get everybody in the photo :)
  #379  
Old 01-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , Malaysia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I thought the Sultan's ex-wife was allowed to keep the title. Thanx for the clarification. So is she still on good terms with the Sultan and the Queen?
by the way, do you have any idea why they divorced?
The story at the time was, that his ex-wife, Mariam, was caught in bed with another man - A young, handsome, Indonesian singer. I can't verify how true that story is. But other stories also speculated that she was having an affair/s with other men.

Insiders say: That Mariam was set up for political reasons. She was never popular with H.M's family - Prince Mohammad, particularly, disliked her. It is said that he framed her, so that the Sultan would divorce her.

Another story is that Mariam was tired of the royal lifestyle, and wanted to be free of the golden cage. Her 3 grown up kids are studying in London and she wanted to join them there. Perhaps both factors led to the divorce.

Upon divorce, she was stripped of her title and all her jewellry that had been given to her when she married H.M. Some people think that some of that jewellry may have been passed onto Sarah, as part of her wedding gifts. After all, the Royals are cash strapped since the economic downturn and Prince Jefri's Amedeo crisis. Civil servants were forced to give money for the Crown Prince's Wedding. Private businesses were asked to sponsor money towards it.

The Sultan still visits Mariam's palace regularly, as he did when they were married. Although, she doesnt live there, but in a smaller residence, nearby. Apparently, they do lunch, play badminton and are friends. Hjh Mariam also tends to be in the same places as the Royal Family, whenever they travel - she went to perform the Umrah, in Saudi in 2003, the same time as the Sultan and Raja Isteri. Whether she was invited to be with them, or just wanted to try and get close to them, is another question.

Popular opinion is that the Sultan didnt really want to divorce her, after the affair scandal broke, but that his brothers advised him to. Since the Sultan is still friendly with her, the political reasons theory could have some truth in it.
  #380  
Old 01-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zina
The story at the time was, that his ex-wife, Mariam, was caught in bed with another man - A young, handsome, Indonesian singer. I can't verify how true that story is. But other stories also speculated that she was having an affair/s with other men.

Insiders say: That Mariam was set up for political reasons. She was never popular with H.M's family - Prince Mohammad, particularly, disliked her. It is said that he framed her, so that the Sultan would divorce her.

Another story is that Mariam was tired of the royal lifestyle, and wanted to be free of the golden cage. Her 3 grown up kids are studying in London and she wanted to join them there. Perhaps both factors led to the divorce.

Upon divorce, she was stripped of her title and all her jewellry that had been given to her when she married H.M. Some people think that some of that jewellry may have been passed onto Sarah, as part of her wedding gifts. After all, the Royals are cash strapped since the economic downturn and Prince Jefri's Amedeo crisis. Civil servants were forced to give money for the Crown Prince's Wedding. Private businesses were asked to sponsor money towards it.

The Sultan still visits Mariam's palace regularly, as he did when they were married. Although, she doesnt live there, but in a smaller residence, nearby. Apparently, they do lunch, play badminton and are friends. Hjh Mariam also tends to be in the same places as the Royal Family, whenever they travel - she went to perform the Umrah, in Saudi in 2003, the same time as the Sultan and Raja Isteri. Whether she was invited to be with them, or just wanted to try and get close to them, is another question.

Popular opinion is that the Sultan didnt really want to divorce her, after the affair scandal broke, but that his brothers advised him to. Since the Sultan is still friendly with her, the political reasons theory could have some truth in it.
thanx for that Zina. I think I do agree that the real reason could've been political or something else. I wouldnt buy the affair story because if it was even remotely true, the Sultan wouldn't have remained friends with Hjh Mariam.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royalty of Brunei: News & Photos 3: April-July 2005 Mandy Royal Family of Brunei 195 07-27-2005 12:00 AM
Royalty of Brunei: News & Photos 2: February-April 2005 Mandy Royal Family of Brunei 184 04-27-2005 01:20 AM
Swedish State Visit to Brunei: February 7-9, 2004 Sean.~ King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia 36 01-02-2005 04:25 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit biography catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king abdullah in australia king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander madeleine member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince oscar princess madeleine princess marie princess marie fashion princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats psychopath queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises