The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Administrator

The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 -

Welcome to Part 3 of the thread for the Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion!

You can find the old thread here:

** The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

Happy Posting!

Old 09-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Fashion illustrator, David Mandeiro, created a gorgeous illustration of Meghan's dark navy dress worn to RAF ceremony in July:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlQJkkHB..._illustrations

Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Aristocracy

That illustration of Meghan at RAF is gorgeous!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Courtier

It's a nice likeness actually. Clearly the waist proportion is slightly different in the illustration, but it's still an overall fab likeness. Fashion illustrations are usually formally stylized re body proportions in order to highlight the fashions being depicted. (..)
Old 09-02-2018, 01:41 AM
Administrator

The discussion whether the Duchess of Sussex feels comfortable with her body type or not has been deleted as off-topic. As mentioned above fashion illustrations play with exaggerations to highlight certain aspects, so we can leave it at that. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Royal Highness

Meghan, the royal rebel (or how the Duchess of Sussex refuses to bow to the Queen’s VERY strict fashion rules)

How the Duchess of Sussex refuses to bow to the Queen’s VERY strict fashion rules | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Majesty

What nonsense.

LaRae
Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, the BRF must be full of rebels. Meghan is not the first to “break” any of those supposed rules. Neither will she be the last. The Queen better crack the whip, they are all rebelling against her.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:39 AM
Administrator

As the WellChild Awards, the Duchess of Sussex has attended yesterday, were an evening event, all posts about it have been moved to her eveningwear thread: ** The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 - **.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Majesty

I’m surprised it’s taken the DM so long to go here. It’s what many of us have discussed here on TRF

Why has Meghan given up on British style? Duchess has worn UK designers on just two of her 22 public appearances since the Royal wedding
Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I’m surprised it’s taken the DM so long to go here. It’s what many of us have discussed here on TRF

Why has Meghan given up on British style? Duchess has worn UK designers on just two of her 22 public appearances since the Royal wedding
I think it may have been a case of the tabloids given Meghan the chance to get into line with what is expected of a senior member of the royal family. (..)
Old 09-15-2018, 12:12 PM
Nobility

(..)

And this kind of article from the DF was inevitable, and exactly what I was afraid would be coming along. Theoretically, Meghan should be able to wear whatever clothes she wants, and patronize whatever designers she wants to. In her private life she can and should do exactly that. However, she is not a private citizen when she steps into the public eye as a representative of the BRF, and by extension, the UK. Eventually someone was going to notice that she doesn't seem to see any reason to patronize UK labels, and watching similar commentary in the past directed at other royal ladies, it was obvious that this was not going to be seen as a positive thing.

My frustration is that I really like Meghan. She's an interesting and talented woman, and she has a hugely engaging presence. Like many on these boards, I want her to do well, and I think she could be an enormous asset to the BRF. She is going to get her share of criticisms leveled at her, because all the royals do at one point or another, but: Wearing British/UK labels for Trooping and other major royal events, wearing local designers when she is on official business in Ireland, etc., is an easy PR gesture which is noticed, appreciated, and expected. She kind of flubbed that one, and she shouldn't have because it's such an easy fix. I feel as though she threw away the opportunity to score some easy PR points, and I also feel as though having a London-based stylist would help her avoid these kinds of errors.

All that said, I'm curious about how the DM arrived at the pound figure that they claim represents the amount of business generated by royal ladies when they wear a particular designer. Does anyone know if that is accurate?
Old 09-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Majesty

(..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
And this kind of article from the DF was inevitable, and exactly what I was afraid would be coming along. Theoretically, Meghan should be able to wear whatever clothes she wants, and patronize whatever designers she wants to. In her private life she can and should do exactly that. However, she is not a private citizen when she steps into the public eye as a representative of the BRF, and by extension, the UK. Eventually someone was going to notice that she doesn't seem to see any reason to patronize UK labels, and watching similar commentary in the past directed at other royal ladies, it was obvious that this was not going to be seen as a positive thing.

My frustration is that I really like Meghan. She's an interesting and talented woman, and she has a hugely engaging presence. Like many on these boards, I want her to do well, and I think she could be an enormous asset to the BRF. She is going to get her share of criticisms leveled at her, because all the royals do at one point or another, but: Wearing British/UK labels for Trooping and other major royal events, wearing local designers when she is on official business in Ireland, etc., is an easy PR gesture which is noticed, appreciated, and expected. She kind of flubbed that one, and she shouldn't have because it's such an easy fix. I feel as though she threw away the opportunity to score some easy PR points, and I also feel as though having a London-based stylist would help her avoid these kinds of errors.
I could not agree more with you. Meghan appears to be a clever and intelligent woman, and can be a real asset to the BRF. It is particularly sad that she had scored this own goal in terms of clothing as she, as a foreigner, IMO, should be working doubly hard to be accepted in the UK and be seen as an ambassador for Britain. I only hope that this small step wrong is not symptomatic of a potentially bigger problem.

I also agree with you that a UK based stylist could well help her navigate her way through the fashion minefield that the early years as a royal can be. Several months in, I do hope she "gets it" and starts to wear British fashions.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...h-fashion.html

Another article ran by DM a few days ago, but with a much different take on it. And, wait for this...I actually happen to agree with most of this.

Bottom line is, Meghan is different from the other royals brides. She is foreign. She comes from a different background, and that includes a different fashion scene. It is what it is. Her difference is something that the BRF has chosen to celebrate rather than muffle. Some were concerned her being a feminist prior to marriage and stated that as a problem, but it was actually something the BRF highlighted. As much as some think she should work double time to be British, the wedding clearly chosen to highlight her heritage as well. Even the PoW joined in with the way the wedding invitation was printed.

Her take on sartorial diplomacy is slightly different than going straight for the label. While she wore a tartan coat by Burberry in Scotland (which some here mocked her for, btw), she wore a Theory top with the Prince of Wales Check. In Ireland, she landed in emerald green outfit with the earrings. That to me is actually more thoughtful than just pluck some Irish brands. And it didn't make her fashion the talking point. Coverage was actually focused on other aspects of the visit.

The insinuation when she was caught wearing Hunter boots and Barbour jackets was that she's trying to be British and she wore it wrong as it's for the country side. Never mind that those two brands actually have strong presence in North America. And those of us living in cities wore it for practical purposes. Never will forget the abuse she got for posting that picture of Guy wearing a Union jumper even though she has had that for years and it goes back to when Bogart was a puppy. That marked the end of her posting on IG regularly.

And I'm certain that if she wore all British brands, some of the same snarky comments about her trying to be British will appear.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Meghan supports buying local, but she's not going to just jump on something without actually knowing them. The biggest fashion winners are Canadian, and especially the brands she favored before this relationship. Mackage, Line The Label, Birks, Jason Wu (by his own account, they've worked together before), Sentaler, and so on. But that's after 7 years of living in Canada. She's been living in UK for less than a year. It's easy to forget sometimes and it may feel longer, but it hasn't even been a year since she's moved to London.

As for some have been complaining about the cost, I don't think it's that much deviated from other member of the BRF for similar events. It can get slightly more expensive sometimes when she wore a two piece suit rather than a one piece dress, but that's minor issue. The number of course if often boosted by counting reworn accessories, especially jewelry. And then of course some claims she never rewear stuff, which is absurd as the rewears started before she even married. Or that she doesn't pair low end with high end, again completely untrue. But that's a narrative some chose to paint.

As for negative press, GMAB. This has started well before the engagement.

Now I'm going to go wash off that feeling one gets after agreeing with DM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Majesty

To me, the issue is Meghan always wants to be ‘fashion forward’ at all costs. Which was was fine when she lived a private life in relative obscurity.

Now in a new country and as a member of the royal family, you’d think she’d be doing everything to ingratiate herself to the people of Britain. Wearing Givenchy on the balcony at the RAF remembrance? Even the very pro monarchy Telegraph criticised her for that one.

And when you’re dealing in not small sums of money, the criticism is only going to grow.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Administrator

This is not about the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the bad press they have gotten, all off-topic posts and comments have been removed. Thank you for your understanding!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is it possible that she is wearing clothes she purchased during the period she was living in Canada after she and Harry came to an understanding? She knew she would need a more elaborate wardrobe, and she didn’t want to spend all her time dealing with “shopping” after she moved to London. And knowing that her “dress allowance” would be covered by the PoW after marriage meant that she could spend her own money freely. I imagine that the upcoming tour will mark a transition into a new phase of British brands.
Meghan has given up all of her old life, willingly (Harry has given up nothing but closet space!); she shouldn’t have to dump all her old clothes, too.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Is it possible that she is wearing clothes she purchased during the period she was living in Canada after she and Harry came to an understanding? She knew she would need a more elaborate wardrobe, and she didn’t want to spend all her time dealing with “shopping” after she moved to London. And knowing that her “dress allowance” would be covered by the PoW after marriage meant that she could spend her own money freely. I imagine that the upcoming tour will mark a transition into a new phase of British brands.
Meghan has given up all of her old life, willingly (Harry has given up nothing but closet space!); she shouldn’t have to dump all her old clothes, too.
That's an interesting speculation, and could be true, although I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure. I think this upcoming tour could be very illuminating. I have my fingers crossed that she gets the clothing issue right this time and shows a nice mix of her preferred designers as well as some local and some UK design houses.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Majesty

I'm sure some of her clothing was purchased either pre-Harry or during their dating period.

LaRae
Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I meant that she had purposely bought some especially fine clothing in anticipation of her soon-to-be-Royal status. It’s possible the Buy British idea didn’t occur to her, and it’s unlikely Harry would have known to tell her. ‘Say, honey, you’re going to have to return the Valentinos and the Diors.’
Tempest in a teapot...

Abraham Lincoln