The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 24: October 2018 - January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loathe these headbands more than I do fascinators- never thought I would find any headwear that I disliked more. Coat is a lovely shade. Hope she doesn’t let her hair get too long again.
Trendy fashion is, by my definition, irritating. That said, I understand why women don't want to be stuck for hours wearing a hat they do not need OR reveal hat head for hours after. I get really bad hat head. So I empathize.

It would be great to see Catherine wear some pill-box hats. She has briefly experimented with them, but I think she now has the confidence to make a success of them.

But I do love this coat.

I agree, it is a lovely coat. Glad that Catherine decided to use it again, and probably had it altered to her non-pregnancy size.

Would love to see her reuse the red and white houndstooth coat from the Scandinavia trip now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love this coat...cut, color, the whole bit. I really love the retro-inspired pieces that she seems to have been so fond of over the last year or so. That said, I'm not in love with the headband thing. I'd love to see her in some great pillbox hats and a headband here or there isn't the end of the world but I'm just not crazy about that look.

Well I like the headbands for there are many different types and ways to wear them. I like most headgear for ladies,hats, headbands, jewels, flowers in particular are a favorite of mine. Besides who says a woman can't wear a headband, some book that tells us that at a certain age we must not do something according to whom.....society or people that think they know everything and can dedicate to the rest of us what to do or wear.........I have never had a book telling me what to wear or not, it was a decision of my own just as I am sure it was Catherine's. She looked great and she has come an incredible long way to become the woman today that she is for in viewing her, she is one heck of a strong independent lady who knows just how to handle the riggers of royal life for it is not all peaches and creme...

I think the headbands suit Kate quite nicely, and they don’t look overyoung. If anything, they offer a nice touch of relief to her otherwise matronly outfits.

I’ve not been a big fan of the halo style hats worn by Maxima or Margarethe, but have had a feeling milliners we’re working towards a style with some potential; I feel like the last few halo hats from Kate are starting to get there. The one at Christmas *almost* worked for me.

(..)

To me "headbands" will always represent the hair accessories that are simple and narrower such as Kate's leopard print band. I can't help it, I grew up in the sixties and seventies with the Patty Duke Show and the Brady Bunch and I just can't call these lovely items (especially the one from Prince Louis christening)
"headbands"!
So there. ?

Posts that contained directly posted photos had to be deleted due to copyright reasons, as a result replies to these posts had to be removed as well. Thank you for your understanding!

Quite a casual outfit, but fitting of the engagement. Nice jacket.

Love her jacket and I think she looks greats in trousers but I always find her trousers on these occasions are so tight .

I love the jacket & trousers on her. Those sludgy greens don't suit everyone but she always looks great in them.

IMO this a comfortable and casual outfit that is perfect for today's event in a garden with children.?

I love the jacket, and while I'm not a huge fan of the super-tight trousers, she certainly wears them well! A nice outfit for the event.

I do not like the pieces of this outfit together. Individually, they are all nice, but together its rather blah.

I love her boots!

This outfit feels very contrived to me. Yeah ofcourse this is the outfit a British, upper class white woman wears to an outdoors event. She looks good, but whatever.

I love the the boots and the coat. The pants are ok, nothing overly special. I wish we could see the sweater better because I love that color. It's not my favorite outfit ever but it looks great on her and it's definitely perfect for today's activities.

I love the the boots and the coat. The pants are ok, nothing overly special. I wish we could see the sweater better because I love that color. It's not my favorite outfit ever but it looks great on her and it's definitely perfect for today's activities.

I agree, she looks fine for the occasion.
The jacket is great, and I like her boots.
The rest I can take or leave.

This outfit feels very contrived to me. Yeah ofcourse this is the outfit a British, upper class white woman wears to an outdoors event. She looks good, but whatever.

I don't understand what you're saying here. You think she's dressing to look like something she isn't? Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Huh........how does this jacket or jeans or boots say that it is for an upper class
British *white* woman? I can see anyone wearing this even a young man or any other woman be they any color they were born with. I would bet that this entire outfit could be worn around the world in this kind of weather by any person ......confusing to me!

Perfect look for this visit! Especially i love her boots!

Huh........how does this jacket or jeans or boots say that it is for an upper class
British *white* woman? I can see anyone wearing this even a young man or any other woman be they any color they were born with. I would bet that this entire outfit could be worn around the world in this kind of weather by any person ......confusing to me!

Agreed. The racial mention/jab was interesting. :ermm:

I guess I'm a bit confused but what exactly is that you think she should have worn? It was an outdoor gardening event with pizza making, birdhouse building, etc. so casual seems completely appropriate no matter which royal was doing the engagement. Factor in the weather and the coat/boots combo seems correct. So....what about this is contrived? And furthermore, what difference does it make that she's British, upper class, or white? I'm not British or upper class and this is absolutely something I'd wear.

Well, I am black...certainly not British or upper class. I would wear this outfit. Nothing wrong with it. It's a perfect outdoor outfit IMO.

And as much as the DoS is wrongly attacked for her ethnicity and background, the DoC shouldn't be either.

Last edited:
Because this is literally the type of outfit they use for her parody character in The Windsors. Scratch that, it's the type of outfit we see tv and media for British women in general when they're doing something outdoorsy. It's why I said it feels contrived to me.

Because this is literally the type of outfit they use for her parody character in The Windsors. Scratch that, it's the type of outfit we see tv and media for British women in general when they're doing something outdoorsy. It's why I said it feels contrived to me.

Or it could just be what British women (or frankly any woman anywhere) might wear for outdoor activities this time of year? Nothing more, nothing less. Just, you know, what people wear.

Scratch that, it's the type of outfit we see tv and media for British women in general when they're doing something outdoorsy.

Perhaps that is because that is what the often wear!

It's why I said it feels contrived to me.

If you are suggesting it is a stereotype and Kate fits the stereotype, how is it contrived?

I'm really not understanding the exasperated eye-rolling here. You hate the color of her pants? Fine. You don't like the coat? No problem. Her boots aren't your style? Ok, cool. But honestly, being completely put out and exasperated because she's dressing like a...well...like a British woman dresses for a casual outdoor activity in January? Since that's exactly what she is I'm not sure how that's in any way contrived. She's not pretending to be something she's not. She's not trying to step into any character. She's not culturally appropriating any form of dress. She's not trying to make people believe she's an upper class, white, British woman because, you know, she is. So what exactly is contrived about this?

You are literally trying to make my reaction more than what it actually is. Did you see me eye-rolling behind my screen? No, you didn't so don't try to patronize here. And I never said I hated anything she wore today either so don't put words in my mouth either.

I literally said she looks good. I said I don't care for it because what I meant is that it's a super planned out outfit and I don't care for that type of outfit on anyone.

Now, like I said before, if you don't agree, please move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom