The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
On the other hand, wearing a somewhat cheery, floral outfit would probably make a world of difference in meeting the survivors. They've had enough drab, gloomy and somber memories to live with and a cheerful looking Kate just may make their day.
I agree with this - I'm sure that Mr. Goldberg and Mr. Shipper were pleased that Catherine wasn't wearing all black. Since it was their first time visiting the camp since their liberation, having Catherine wearing florals would have probably cheered them up.
I didn't have a problem with her outfit; it seemed fine for a visit to the camp. The colours weren't too garish or bright - even at funerals some people don't wear all black anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry but I've never been a big believer in the colour of your clothes should be affected by the place you were going. I believe they once wore white to funerals instead of weddings? I might be wrong on that.
In some cultures white is traditionally worn at funerals. Wedding dresses weren't originally white, and I read somewhere that Queen Victoria popularised white wedding dresses.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

I like the dress but IMO it was not the best choice for this visit. I saw the guide in a pink top to but to me even that seems a little more appropriate as its a solid colour worn over a dark dress. I think, to many people its just a little jarring, a bit of a "ohhh okay..." and to me that is why its wrong choice. Kate and her staff know full well everything she wears is written about, noticed and commented upon and so it was the time to repeat something already worn in a plain-ish, quite dark or somber colour. I'm not saying what she wore was WRONG but it was going to get commented upon and some people were going to say it was wrong so therefore to me that made it the wrong choice, as the fact people here are talking about it shows. Usually I'd say she should wear what she wants because she isn't going to please everyone but if there was ever a day to repeat a pretty boring outfit it was today as everything should be about highlighting where they were and why it is was so important.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen in floral at the 9/11 site

Cepe Smith @CepeSmith
Some saying what Catherine wore today not appropriate.Floral but in very muted colours. Disagree. And look who set an example at 9/11 site

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFCTfhtW...jpg&name=large
Old 07-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

I think it's usefull to share this comment:

Ingeborg18 July 2017 at 17:28
I usually do not comment. But today I feel I need to add say smth here. I work with visitors in Dachau and Bergen-Belsen KZ memorials. And I have to tell you that there are no dress codes there. Right now it is +35 in Dachau. We have people coming in shorts and spaghetti t-shirts and we would never ever turn them away. You took your time and visited and that's important. You can wear whatever it is comfortable for you and feel good inthe weather. When I have groups, sometimes I get questions of "what should we wear? we can't bring extra sets of black clothes, so what would be appropriate?" And I always answer "whatever is comfortable for you". If they still feel the need to make some sort of statement with the clothes (but not the funeral type), I tell them "wear something that shows that our wolrd without nazis is so much better". If they are of one the groups particularly persecuted by nazis (gays, transgenders, Jehovah's Witnesses, gypsies etc), I tell them "feel free to wear something that nazis would hate". So I'm a bit stunned to read the comments here claiming Kate to be inappropriately dressed. Her outfit is really a perfect epitome of that message "our world is such a wonderful place without horrible nazis, and thanks god we learn from the past mistakes to never let it happen again and here's a hope". Especially as photos of the visit (particularly those from a bit of distance) have great optics of Kate being a white spot in the middle of dark suits.

Duchess Kate: William and Kate Pay "Shattering Visit" to Stutthof & A Rapturous Welcome in Gdańsk!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I like the dress but IMO it was not the best choice for this visit. I saw the guide in a pink top to but to me even that seems a little more appropriate as its a solid colour worn over a dark dress. I think, to many people its just a little jarring, a bit of a "ohhh okay..." and to me that is why its wrong choice. Kate and her staff know full well everything she wears is written about, noticed and commented upon and so it was the time to repeat something already worn in a plain-ish, quite dark or somber colour. I'm not saying what she wore was WRONG but it was going to get commented upon and some people were going to say it was wrong so therefore to me that made it the wrong choice, as the fact people here are talking about it shows. Usually I'd say she should wear what she wants because she isn't going to please everyone but if there was ever a day to repeat a pretty boring outfit it was today as everything should be about highlighting where they were and why it is was so important.
It wouldn't have mattered if she wore a plain navy blue dress, people would still criticize her outfit and find fault. She was not inappropriately dressed.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I think it's usefull to share this comment:

Ingeborg18 July 2017 at 17:28
I usually do not comment. But today I feel I need to add say smth here. I work with visitors in Dachau and Bergen-Belsen KZ memorials. And I have to tell you that there are no dress codes there. Right now it is +35 in Dachau. We have people coming in shorts and spaghetti t-shirts and we would never ever turn them away. You took your time and visited and that's important. You can wear whatever it is comfortable for you and feel good inthe weather. When I have groups, sometimes I get questions of "what should we wear? we can't bring extra sets of black clothes, so what would be appropriate?" And I always answer "whatever is comfortable for you". If they still feel the need to make some sort of statement with the clothes (but not the funeral type), I tell them "wear something that shows that our wolrd without nazis is so much better". If they are of one the groups particularly persecuted by nazis (gays, transgenders, Jehovah's Witnesses, gypsies etc), I tell them "feel free to wear something that nazis would hate". So I'm a bit stunned to read the comments here claiming Kate to be inappropriately dressed. Her outfit is really a perfect epitome of that message "our world is such a wonderful place without horrible nazis, and thanks god we learn from the past mistakes to never let it happen again and here's a hope". Especially as photos of the visit (particularly those from a bit of distance) have great optics of Kate being a white spot in the middle of dark suits.

Duchess Kate: William and Kate Pay "Shattering Visit" to Stutthof & A Rapturous Welcome in Gdańsk!
Thank you, Ingeborg! Surely this settles the matter.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I think when the first photos came out this morning the color quality was just from phones and the floral fabric looked much brighter close up. Once the full length photos hi res images showed up the color was much more sedate and quite a lovely choice. (especially noticable in the photo where Kate was given a bouquet of flowers and the real flowers were bright colors).
I think you're right, and as I've had the chance to go through more photos and so on it's also clear that William and Catherine's interaction with their hosts was warm and interested - Kate, especially, seemed quite engrossed - which helps make up for a possibly less than ideal wardrobe choice.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I fail to see any issue over this choice. As noted previously, the Queen's choice of colour when she visited the 9/11 memorial did not lessen her honouring the victims of such terrible atrocities. Both royals set a respectful, hopeful mood in their choices.
On a different note, I agree that we are seeing some interesting outfits from Kate recently. I'm not so keen on the accessories this time but helped strike a more subdued effect .
Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

We are not comparable to Kate. She is not a student or tourist. Bad comparison.

Honestly I prefer royals like Maxima recently, in slightly more somber looks. But that said, I have no issue here. As long as not an actual memorial, I don't find it offensive (and before anyone reminds me of the queen, I don't like the queen in bright colors at memorial either. This is not an opinion reserved for one royal). The color is toned down, not exactly somber but not in face.

All said, not fan. The print reminds me of wall paper.

It would be better if she wore it as separates. Shame she bought separates and wears together, looks like her usual silhouette from distance. Too matchy matchy. Would have been improved with just the skirt and a lovely blouse that picked up the color of the skirt.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer said on Twitter he asked Poles and a British Jew if black or dark colours were expected and they said not.

During the Canada visit last year a government protocol expert was interviewed on CTV and she said every detail is planned in advance. Clothes, gifts, food, locations. Nothing is left to chance.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Perfect choice for the days events. I love the print and the colors, such a summer outfit. The style of the slight cropped top looked lovely with that style skirt.

Great sandals, I'm glad to see her wearing more open toe for the season.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:05 AM
Nobility

I would rather have Kate (or any royal) wear something happy than see all those depressing colors. The place is awful enough. It doesn't need any help in that department.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I like this outfit but while i dont think that it is inappropriate, I am with those who think that a floral print and open sandals were not the best choice for this event. All in all i think that Kates outfits have been improving lately.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 AM
Majesty

Duchess of Cambridge leaving Poland with a lovely blue outfit

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...324&m=plnbddnn
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...324&m=opcgfenl
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I don't know if Kate has worn this outfit before, but it is a lovely clear blue. Getting a bit sick of the nude shoes though!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...0463035795.jpg
another nice outfit on this trip
Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Love the color! But something about the dress if off for me. The proportions or length..maybe it's the waist. The shape of the dress is nice though.

LaRae
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The color of her coat is lovely, the style is nice but the sleeves are at an awkward length, the should've been slightly shorter or longer. The waist part was a bit unflattering, it kind of made her look wider in some pictures.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Majesty

The blue look is very beautiful and regal. She looks wonderful.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Serene Highness

I think that wearing shoes that matched her bag would've looked smashing. But, overall, a good look.

Tags
the duchess of cambridge casual wear, the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion, the duchess of cambridge fashion, the duchess of cambridge hats