New books marking the tenth anniversary of Diana's death

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that After Diana was a good book,not a great book because there are several errors (like Harry is in Iraq)and questions left unanswered.Christopher Andersen is usually a very reliable author,so I can not agree that he is another "make it up author." Granted,he slipped with this effort and made some errors, but I have several other books of his on different subjects that are well done;again The Day Diana Died is an excellent work.After Diana was a bit of a let down because it is a little more on the gossipy-type of reporting. And gossipy-type reporting is error-prone(where are the facts?)But it seems like everyone who can is writing a book about Diana because it's the tenth anniversary of her death and everyone wants to make some profit.And quality will suffer;hopefully Tina Brown will be more on the ball with facts and not just gossip.

I have a question for anyone who can answer it;is it true that Eton has its own pub,and that any student sixteen and older can buy up to two pints of hard cider or beer a day?What's the legal drinking age in the UK? It's 21 years of age in the US and I want to know what it is in the UK.

Last edited:
They can go to Queens Eyot which is a private restaurant/bar. However as the legal limit to purchase alcohol is 18, the rumours of them buying beer or cider are untrue. The only time they can drink on the island, is if they are with a parent or other boys parents.

I think I will agree with the facts that Ms Brown has in "Diana Chronicles" but I will not agree with her conclusion. Charles and Diana are not people of his parents' generation. If they two were locked in an very unhappy marriage, I would rather they obtained a quiet divource to pursuit their own happiness. Certainly the Danish royal family gave us a good example for that. I always want a happy Prince Charles and certainly a happy Diana, Princess of Wales. Divource is probably a better way for them to obtain their own peace of mind in IMHO.

Just again another person joins blaming Camilla for the end of Charles and Diana's marriage. I have never regarded Camilla as a main factor because Diana and Charles lacked everything that a marriage needs to be sustained except their children. I would accpet a quiet divource which allowed Diana to retained her HRH title unless she remarried and offer her some reasonable amount of money for supporting her life and other similar conditions and terms from the divource deal are applied. Morton book should have not been published and then not such a great exposure of information about their marriage may occur.

Last edited:
love_cc said:
Morton book should have not been published and then not such a great exposure of information about their marriage may occur.

I agree. That action pretty much made it impossible for them to part in silence and with diginity.

I saw the Charlie Rose Show on PBS las night and one of the people talked to was Tina Brown.

Last edited:
One of the most interesting thing she said Charles would only come every three weeks to be with Diana as a husband. Also that they both, however, espeically Diana thought that they might get back together. Another interesting thing she said that with Charles getting back "together" would have been if she had gotten hurt and he could take care of Diana and she would be dependent on him. The book sounds like it will be an interesing and fair book. That is to say fair to both Charles and Diana.
What does everyone think of these insights?

Last edited:
Hi, Everyone. I have the Tina Brown book requested from my library. Hopefully, I will get it soon and can read and then review it for everyone. I also have the Larry King audiobook and the People special requested. I am not a fan of Christopher Andersen's work but I might get that one as well.

I got the Dress for Diana book from the library the other day and read it that afternoon. It is a beautiful book--the pictures are wonderful. It brought back all the memories of the days leading up the engagement and wedding.

I have a question for anyone who can answer it;is it true that Eton has its own pub,and that any student sixteen and older can buy up to two pints of hard cider or beer a day?What's the legal drinking age in the UK? It's 21 years of age in the US and I want to know what it is in the UK.

The legal drinking age is 18, but there are all sorts of details to the law. I think the one you're referring to is that children over 16 may purchase beer or cider in the eating area of licensed premises but not at the bar. So unless this place at Eton was a licensed restaurant, I don't think they'd have been able to buy alcohol between the ages of 16 and 18.

So if they go to a restaurant, sit down at a table, they can order beer or cider? Does an adult have to be present?

kpusa1981 said:
Also that they both, however, espeically Diana thought that they might get back together. Another interesting thing she said that with Charles getting back "together" would have been if she had gotten hurt and he could take care of Diana and she would be dependent on him. The book sounds like it will be an interesing and fair book. That is to say fair to both Charles and Diana.
I think it would have been impossible for them to 'get back together' after the Morton book and the 2 interviews.

From the excerpts I have read, so far it doesn't sound very fair to Charles, Camilla or even Diana.

Elspeth said:
The legal drinking age is 18, but there are all sorts of details to the law. I think the one you're referring to is that children over 16 may purchase beer or cider in the eating area of licensed premises but not at the bar. So unless this place at Eton was a licensed restaurant, I don't think they'd have been able to buy alcohol between the ages of 16 and 18.
Queens Eyot is an island in the Thames and is owned and used by Eton College. It does have a very good licenced restaurant.

I have the books, After Diana and The Diana Chronicles and have ordered Diana Style; are there any other worthwhile books coming out by reputable authors?
(I already have Diana:The Portrait and biographies by Sarah Bradford,Tim Clayton,Anne Edwards, Sally Bedell Smith,and others as well but not the books by people who worked for her like her butler and secretary).

Well, somewhere I read that there are 14 books coming out in time for the anniversary, so there may be more than the ones you've listed, although "reputable" is another matter. You might just want to have a root around Amazon or, considering where you live, wander over to Keplers next time you're up that way and ask the experts there.

its quite sad. when diana was alive, she could do no wrong. once she lost her title, the terrible gossipings start. when she died, all the **** about her came out. its really scary. its goes to show that when u are high up there, everyone love you. when u are really down, the vultures will eat you alive. when you are dead, your name is ****

its quite sad. when diana was alive, she could do no wrong. once she lost her title, the terrible gossipings start. when she died, all the **** about her came out. its really scary. its goes to show that when u are high up there, everyone love you. when u are really down, the vultures will eat you alive. when you are dead, your name is ****
How very true.

It just goes to show that when you put yourself on a pedestal and encourage others to do so, you had better make sure there are no nasty secrets to come along and knock you off! ;)

I don't think Diana ever put herself on a pedestal and nor did she encourage others to do so. And anyway these books aren't damaging her memory.

I don't think Diana ever put herself on a pedestal and nor did she encourage others to do so. And anyway these books aren't damaging her memory.

Agreed. Those people that liked her will still likeher and those that hated her will still hate her. And those with sense will try to see the entire picture;there is good and bad in everyone.

Okay, so that's the edition with the piece of the final tailoring of Diana's wedding dress, right? Pretty cool, although I'm not really into that kind 'Limited Edition' stuff. It's quite expensive (£ 1,000 !!! OUCH !), okay it's not an ordinary piece of tissu but, unless you are a collector, I would put all my money into that. IMO, I'd prefer shaking her hand than having a piece of her dress ...

One of the most interesting thing she said Charles would only come every three weeks to be with Diana as a husband. Also that they both, however, espeically Diana thought that they might get back together. Another interesting thing she said that with Charles getting back "together" would have been if she had gotten hurt and he could take care of Diana and she would be dependent on him.

Tina Brown wasn't the first person to make that claim about Charles looking after Diana if she was injured in the accident. In 1998, Penny Junor said the same thing in Charles: Victim or Villian.

Has anyone read After Diana by Christopher Andersen? I just started it last night. After about 50 pages I am already wondering where some of his stuff is coming from. He is quoting phone conversations between Charles and Camilla. It starts with Charles calling Camilla after being told by phone about of the accident and that it appeared that Diana was just injured. It was Camilla( according to Andersen) who told him not to tell the boys just then. He according to Andersen, then informed the Queen of the accident? Was there another "phone tap" or something to where he would have access to this information? Or is it a case of him being creative--again!!:ermm:

One of the most interesting thing she said Charles would only come every three weeks to be with Diana as a husband. Also that they both, however, espeically Diana thought that they might get back together. Another interesting thing she said that with Charles getting back "together" would have been if she had gotten hurt and he could take care of Diana and she would be dependent on him. The book sounds like it will be an interesing and fair book. That is to say fair to both Charles and Diana.

Its very interesting it does make me wonder since the way Charles acted that morning, had Diana not died does one really think that they would have gotten back together?

Tina Brown think so,but I don't think so. Charles has been always a very caring person and Diana was his ex-wife and the mother of his two sons. Of course he would try everything to take care of her in his power but on the other hand he has been "locked" with Camilla in his own way. Camilla has been with him on and off for 23 years already and truly I don't think he would have done such a thing to a woman because of his loyal nature.I think once Charles said he would not been a man like his great uncle Edward VIII, once he has has "Wallis Simpson" dumped all his former mistresses ruthlessly.

I prefer to think Charles -Camilla-Diana can become friends with more understandings. But it may be very hard since Camilla and Diana are both cancerians and there is a nature of competition in it unfortunately.

I would have also liked to see that love cc maybe if Diana survived the crash or wasn't involved in it maybe 10 years later Diana and Camilla would be on friendly terms not exactly friends but they could've been in the same room and be civil to each other. Who Knows?

Back
Top Bottom