Máxima in the Argentinian Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
La Nación, in addition to what Princess Máxima explained, is a very conservative newspaper, originally aimed to the elite. The circle to which Máxima and her family belong to could easily be represented by La Nación.

Article of La Nación, published in 2003, on the first year of Máxima as a princess:

"Máxima, un año real" (Máxima, a real year)

LANACION.com

Some paragraphs i'd like to highlight and translate:

"A los 31 años, la argentina Máxima Zorreguieta parece salirse con la suya una vez más. Cumple su primer año como princesa real de Holanda del modo en que quería: con bajo perfil, silencio para su vida privada y sin demasiadas exigencias en la agenda que conlleva la jaula de oro en que se convierte la vida en palacio." - 'At the age of 31, the argentine Máxima Zorreguieta seems to get away with it once again. She reaches her first year as a princess just as she wanted to: with low profile, silence for her private life and not too many requirements in the agenda that comes along with the golden cage in which life at the palace turns into'.

"Muy lejos de quienes auguraban complicaciones por parte de cierta dirigencia política holandesa para que la princesa se encuentre con su padre, su frecuencia en el ritmo de visitas al departamento de Uriburu al 1200, donde creció, es seguramente mayor de la que podía permitirse cuando trabajaba como empleada en un banco de Nueva York." - 'Far away from those whom predicted problems from a certain sector of the Dutch political leaders for the princess to meet her father, the frecuency of her visits to the appartment in Uriburu 1200, where she grew up, is certainly higher than what she could allow herself when she worked as an employee in a NY bank'.

Last edited:
A paragraph taken by the Dutch Ambassadors welcome speech to the Embassy in Buenos Aires
"Las relaciones bilaterales han tomado una dimensión muy especial con el casamiento real, el 2 de febrero de 2002, del príncipe heredero de los Países Bajos Willem Alexander van Oranje-Nassau con Máxima Zorreguieta, nacida en la Argentina, quien de esta manera se convirtió en Princesa de los Países Bajos y presumiblemente será la próxima Reina cuando su marido acceda al trono.
Esta circunstancia ha dado un renovado ímpetu al interés y conocimiento mutuo entre los dos países, no sólo a nivel oficial sino también - lo que es más importante - entre la gente de ambas naciones. El dicho holandés "Lo que no es conocido, mal puede ser querido" es cada vez menos aplicable ya que los argentinos y los holandeses nos estamos conociendo mejor".-----

"The bilateral relations have taken a very special dimension with the royal marriage, on 2 of February 2002, of the crown prince of the Netherlands Willem Alexander van Oranje-Nassau with Máxima Zorreguieta, who was born in the Argentina, this way becaming Princess of the Netherlands and who most likely will be the next Queen when her husband accedes to the throne. This circumstance has given a renewed impetus to the interest and mutual knowledge between both countries, not only at official level but also - what it is more important - between the people of both nations. The Dutch saying "What it is not well-known, badly can be wanted" is less and less applicable since the Argentineans and the Dutch are knowing ourselves better".
Embajada Real de los PaÃ*ses Bajos en la Argentina - Bienvenida del Embajador

Another article of La Nación, july 2002: "Qué tendrá la princesa" (What does the princess have)

LANACION.com

Máxima had been married to WA for 6 months then. It highlights the excelent job she was already doing, and tells about a speech that Máxima gave, which she ended in Spanish, and how little kids learned the words by hard and wrote it down in their scrapbooks at school. Also denies gossip about a bad relationship between her and the Queen ("the temperamental Queen Beatrix").

"Se accidentó el padre de Máxima Zorreguieta" ("The father of Máxima Zorreguieta suffered from an accident") - July of 2002

LANACION.com

"Máxima está de visita en el país" - 'Máxima is in the country for a visit' (May 2002)

LANACION.com

It is interesting to point out that, back in 2002 - 2003, Máxima used to be addressed with her full name (Máxima Zorreguieta), but with time she is just "Máxima", and probably her surname or any explanation of her royal title is no longer needed in the local press. More or less as said previously in this thread, you may like her or not, be updated on her activities or not, but everyone knows who she is...

Another highlight: "LA NACION se comunicó con el celular de Jorge Zorreguieta, pero el padre de Máxima argumentó que no escuchaba bien la comunicación y cortó la llamada" (LA NACION phoned Jorge orreguieta to his mobile, but Máxima's father said that he couldn't listen well and hung up")

Last edited:
Máxima's first daughter was born (2003)
All Holland began to celebrate as soon as the new was known: Máxima Zorreguieta, the princess from Argentina, gave to birth to her first-born daughter, a small one of which not yet the name is known, but whose future is beeing Queen of the Netherlands
Nació la hija de Máxima, una beba con destino real | LANACION.com
Máxima was mum for second time(2005)
Diario La Prensa - Secciones
Máxima's third daughter was born(2007)
Princess Máxima has been admitted to hospital this afternoon to Bronovo hospital in The Hague.The Prince of Orange said that the Princess is very healthy. The girl, whose name will be revealed tomorrow, if the third daughter of the Princes of the Netherlands, after Catharina-Amalia and Alexia
Nació la tercera hija de Máxima Zorreguieta

An article on future princesses (Catharina Amalia, Leonor, Ingrid, Elizabeth and Victoria), related to the birth of Sofia from Spain:

Cinco princesas que se preparan para reinar (Five princesses get ready for reigning) - April 30th, 2007

LANACION.com

This article, as the few others that are published on european royalty in general, is linked to the news of a birth in a royal house (we do pay a little bit more of attention to Spain, because of our history as a country itself). But it is not common for newspapers to come up with an article like this out of nothing...

This week's Caras magazine features a short article on Martín Zorreguieta, Máxima's brother, in which a tiny picture of june 26th's photoshoot is included.
Its title is "Ví a mi sobrina Ariane en Caras" - He says that, since he hasn't been able to travel to know Ariane in person, he knows her and gets to see her through the magazine - bah.

Also comments that he speaks to Máxima often, "and they are very well", speaking of the family of his sister (great Martín, tell us something we don't already know)

The article goes on his activities and ventures, such as his restaurant and some other businesses, while he is shown skiing in Ushuaia. Always clinging from his sister for press...lame IMHO.

State visit to Argentina 2006

-Kirchner invited Máxima, the Prince and the Queen of the Netherlands
Kirchner invitó a Máxima, al príncipe y a la reina de Holanda

-Queen Beatrix is in Argentina
After their holidays in Lech, Austria, prince Willem-Alexander, princess Maxima Zorreguieta and her daughters Alexia and Amalia return to make their laguages to go together with queen Beatrix of the Netherlands in their first State visit to the country of Máxima: Argentina. Although the official activities are programmed from next Thursday, the royal family already is in the country. La reina Beatriz ya está en la Argentina | LANACION.com
-Queen Beatrix, in the land of Máxima : It arrived at the country several days ago, but today it will begin the official visit to the country of queen Beatriz of the Netherlands, who will be accompanied by prince Guillermo Alexander, princess Maxima Zorreguieta and her granddaughters Catharina Amalia and Alexia. The first visit of the Dutch sovereign to the country of birth of its daughter-in-law will last three days, in which it will participate in events and entertainments La reina Beatriz, en la tierra de Máxima | LANACION.com
-President Kirchner was absent to a gala in honour to him by the Queen of the Netherlands: The second day of the official visit of queen Beatrix,princess Maxima Zorreguieta and Willem of Orange had a bitter closing: the absence of president Néstor Kirchner in the gala that the Dutch royalty made in honor of him in the Colon Theatre Faltó el Presidente a una gala que la reina de Holanda dio en su honor | LANACION.com
-The queen and Máxima in Tres Arroyos: The members of the Real House will be received today in the morning in the Dutch School, in a very special encounter with the colectivity: La Voz del Pueblo :: Tres Arroyos

Its title is "Ví a mi sobrina Ariane en Caras" - He says that, since he hasn't been able to travel to know Ariane in person, he knows her and gets to see her through the magazine - bah.

He said the same when Amalia and Alexia were born:lol::bang:

Another article from La Nación, regarding our President's incredible blunder in not going to the gala that the Queen organized for him, during the State Visit:

"Un agasajo exquisito con sabor amargo"

Un agasajo exquisito con sabor amargo | LANACION.com

Some highlights:

'(...) no se entiende la ausencia del primer mandatario, que dejó un sabor amargo en una velada organizada con exquisito gusto. - (The absence of the president, which left a bitter taste in an exquisite evening, is not understood.)

'Sólo la profesionalidad de la reina, (...) y la simpatía del príncipe Guillermo pudieron salvar el mal paso.' - ('Only the Queen's professional skills (...) and prince Willem's niceness could save the wrong step')

'Máxima no cantó el Himno Nacional argentino, pero sí el de los Países Bajos, subrayando con ese gesto el lugar que ocupa en el mundo. ' - ('Máxima did not sing the argentine Nathional Anthem, but the Dutch one, underlining with this gesture her place in the world')

Last edited:
He said the same when Amalia and Alexia were born:lol::bang:

That is very possible...

I also think that Caras pushes it. They make an article out of nothing... I actually remember one on Máxima's mother, some years ago... they popped out an article on a picture of her - i don't remember if she was standing at the Disco supermarket's door or at her appartment's- holding a paper...her mobile phone bill. And they wrote about that, providing a close up of her hand holding the Movicom - Bellsouth receipt.

"Mrs. Cerruti pays her phone bill" - can you imagine how lame this is?

I like the first of the pics...What a nice set of teeth, Princess Maxima! Here you have mine: :D

Vanesa.

Here you can visualize the cover & article on Máxima's "betrayal", according to Semana, when she declared she had cheered up for the Netherlands at the World Cup's match against Argentina, last year.

Though she initially said that she wouldn't cheer for any of the teams in particular, after the match she declared having cheered up for NL.

That was certainly not really nice to hear around here, though IMHO it's quite justified that Máxima said so...she is now representing another country, why would we expect anything else? But I have to say it didn't sound friendly, of course...

Last edited:
Here you can visualize the cover & article on Máxima's "betrayal", according to Semana, when she declared she had cheered up for the Netherlands at the World Cup's match against Argentina, last year.

Though she initially said that she wouldn't cheer for any of the teams in particular, after the match she declared having cheered up for NL.

That was certainly not really nice to hear around here, though IMHO it's quite justified that Máxima said so...she is now representing another country, why would we expect anything else? But I have to say it didn't sound friendly, of course...

Yes, she was really critized here for doing that.
After the match, an argentine journalist asked Máxima to which team did she support and she replied "Por supuesto por Holanda"/"Obviously for the Netherlands".

I heard about that. Maxima having said she was supporting Holland in the game against Argentina. A friend of mine in Argentina said there was quite some publicity around it and people there weren't happy with it. But itns't it a bit of logic that MAxima would say she cheered for Holland? It's what she's supposed to do, right, in her duty as representing Holland and all. I always wondered if she realy did, or if deep inside she wasn't chearing for her 'home'country

I heard about that. Maxima having said she was supporting Holland in the game against Argentina. A friend of mine in Argentina said there was quite some publicity around it and people there weren't happy with it. But itns't it a bit of logic that MAxima would say she cheered for Holland? It's what she's supposed to do, right, in her duty as representing Holland and all. I always wondered if she realy did, or if deep inside she wasn't chearing for her 'home'country

i think she said she would be happy whoever wins, which i think is the perfect response to such question, but in case she decided to cheer for holland, i see nothing wrong in it. she is after all princess of the netherlands and i'm sure she likes the netherlands as much as her home country by now. same goes for the national anthems in argentina: i think she does well in singing the dutch one (although as she is theoretically both argentinian and dutch, i see nothing wrong in singing both and would have been a lovely gesture to her homeland).

Another article from La Nación, on the 'secret negotiations' behind Máxima's engagement in 2001.

La trama secreta del compromiso de Máxima | LANACION.com

There is a detailed explanation of everything Máxima and her family had to undergo to finally reach to the agreement on which Jorge Z. wouldn't go to the wedding.

nothing that we don't know so far in this one. it jsut explains what we already know: that jorge zorreguieta was asked not to attend the wedding or willem-alexander would have to loose his rights to the throne. it also mentions that maxima's father met with the couple and that he initially had some hopes in attending the wedding and about the investigations being carried out by baud to determine jorge's implication in the dictatorship. he told them he didn't know of the dissapparitions until 1984.

it also mentions the 'maximamania' in the netherlands and that the dutch press (after haakon was engaged with a past-eventful mette-marit) tried to find compromising pictures of maxima, but didn't find any. they also said that the most they could find were some pictures at a wedding party, but that the society loved it as it demonstrated that maxima "knew how to have a good time, like any other person".

they also seem to know that the day when willem-alexander proposed to maxima was the 15th of january. by this time, the parliament had carried out their investigations and they apparently met with maxima's father in new york in february and talked over this.

it finishes by saying that the couple met jorge zorreguieta in sao paulo and went back to the netherlands where maxima addressed the society "with a fluency in dutch that surprised everyone" and exonerated her dad saying that "he is a good man that acted under the wrong regime". "the public adored her".

Yes thats totally right, but that is also one of the reasons why some people dont like Máxima... that she sais she is Dutch, but in fact she was born in Argentina, bla, bla, bla...

Well in the end, what she does in public is what is important for the Dutch people. She took on the nationality of a Dutch person and for all intents and purposes is Dutch, that is her job. Now if she does something else privately then that is her business, although I think that it would be alot easier if the two were the same.

I agree, Empress.

As an Argentinian myself, I have to say she is doing an excellent job (because she isn't a born royal, but she fulfills her duties really well, with class and responsibility) as a princess. And part of this job (actually, I would say most of it) implies hard choices, sacrifices and everything it has already been said and discussed in this Forums. So there is no reason to think that she has done anything wrong, not even when she displays her acquired dutchness. She's on duty, and it is perfectly rational.

However, the honouring of our Patria, our land, our nation is a strong issue in our country, same as in any other place in the world i guess. And I believe many people find Máxima to be brave and lovely, but also some kind of rich girl (first sin) who "fulfilled her dream: becoming a Princess", and forgot about everything else, including her Patria (second sin) and dares to throw that in our face (third sin).

I believe her answer, her not-singing of the national anthem and her reluctancy to speak to the local press are often missinterpreted, and also used as an excuse to validate these feelings about her.

Last edited:
As an (somewhat hilarious, but also very true) explanation to my previous post, I found this article by Ana Von Rebeur (a argentinian cartoonist, illustrator & journalist), from which I have translated some of the most significant paragraphs. I believe it illustrates very well our view on the hole thing, back in 2002...

POBRE MÁXIMA (Poor Máxima)

(…)los cuentos de hadas pueden hacerse realidad. / (…) fairy tales can come true.

(…)Máxima Zorreguieta lo descubrió antes que nadie. Para colmo, ni siquiera conoció al rubio en una lujosa recepción de embajada en Nueva York, sino que lo conoció bailando flamenco en las calles de Sevilla, donde generalmente no se ve un rubio ni arrojando agua oxigenada de 40 volúmenes desde los balcones floridos a las cabezas de los transeúntes andaluces. (...) / Máxima Zorreguieta discovered it before anyone else did. On top of that, she didn’t even met the blonde at a luxurious cocktail at the embassy in New York, but while dancing flamenco in the streets of Sevilla, where usually a blonde is not to be spotted, not even by pouring bleach from the flourished balconies to the heads of the peasants of Andalucía.

(…) Máxima es la mayor ídola en Holanda, y en gran parte de la revistas europeas. Pero a pocos días de la gran boda en la casa de los Orange, la prensa argentina no toca el tema más que para afirmar que su "dulce" de su padre ( preside la Cámara Argentina de Azucareros) estaba al tanto de los planes genocidas de la dictadura militar. Máxima gana el corazón de los europeos, pero no impresiona demasiado a los argentinos. / Máxima is the greatest idol in Holland, and in most of the european magazines. But a few days before the great wedding at the Royal House of Orange, the argentinian press does not speak about the subject but for arguing that her "sweet" father (president to the Argentinian Chamber of Sugar Producers), knew about the killings of the militar dictatorship. Máxima wins over the hearts of the european, but does not impress argentinians that much.

(…)Reconozcamos que en este país no es fácil que te quieran. Uno pasa de "no ser nadie" a ser odiado, por pura envidia. El que es exitoso debe mostrar su propia veta desgraciada para que lo empiecen a querer. ¿Y cuál es la veta desgraciada de la princesa argentina? En primer lugar, no haber sido nadie antes de ponerse de novia con Guillermo Alejandro. No conocíamos a Máxima – y muchos, ni a su padre – hasta que nos enteramos, como el resto del mundo, de que el príncipe holandés estaba de novio con una argentina. Pero encima, su boda nos llega como un acontecimiento totalmente a trasmano de lo que pasa en nuestro país.(…) / Let’s assume that being loved is not easy in this country. One goes from "being nobody" to being hated, out of pure envy. The sucessful has to show his disgraceful side to start being loved. And which is the disgraceful side of the argentinian princess? In first place, going from "nobody" to dating Willem-Alexander. We didn’t know Máxima – and many, not even her father- until we got to know, like the rest of the world, that the dutch prince was dating an argentinian. But on top of that, her wedding comes to us as a completely inverted event to what’s happening in our country (…)

Para nosotros, enterarnos de esta historia fue como empezar a leer el cuento de hadas por la mitad del libro. ¿ Y el principio, como fue? ¿De dónde salió la princesa? Apenas llegamos a conocerla por un video familiar donde se la ve muy dicharachera bailando en una fiesta porteña. De ella no sabemos mucho más que eso: se divierte en las fiestas.¡Con lo lindo que hubiera sido divertirnos nosotros también con su historia rosa! Pero las noticias de la argentina que se convierte en futura reina europea es algo demasiado surrealista para nuestra dura realidad (…) / To us, knowing about this history was like starting to read the fairy tale by the middle of the book. And how was the beginning? Where did the princess come out of? We just got to know her through a family videotape where she is seen dancing in a BA party. We don’t know much more than that about her: she enjoys partying. It would have been so nice for us too, to have fun with her fairy tale history! But the news of the argentinian that turns into a future european queen is something too surrealistic to our hard reality(…)

(…) En medio de la debacle económica que azota a nuestro país, el romance de la princesa argentina está a años luz de nuestra situación cotidiana. Entre casi 40 millones de argentinos, sólo un centenar de invitados oficiales se preocupan porque el protocolo les impide vestirse de negro - uniforme de fiesta habitual de las porteñas- y porque el sombrero de rigor les va a aplastar el brushing (…) / In the middle of the economic crisis our country is punished with, the romance of the argentinian princess is far away from our day to day life. In between almost 40 million of argentines, only a hundred official guests are worried because the protocol does not allow them to wear black – usual party uniform for the BA women – and because the mandatory hat will spoil their hairdo (…)

En otro momento más próspero hubiéramos preparado nuestras videocaseteras para no perdernos un instante de la boda.(…) Pero esta vez, nos parece que todo eso sucede en otro planeta. (…) / In a more prosperous moment, we would have setted our VCRs, not to miss an instant of the wedding. (…) But this time, it seems like everything’s happening in another planet(…)

(…) El "timing" de Máxima para casarse no podía haber sido peor. (…) / Máxima’s ‘timing’ for getting married couldn’t have been worse.

(…)Quisiéramos que ella pudiera decir: " No puedo festejar mi boda ahora, cuando mi país está quebrado". Pero bueno, pongámonos en su lugar: no se encuentra un Príncipe Azul todos los días, y menos uno dispuesto a aplazar una boda hasta que el país de su amada salga del default. / We would like her to say: ‘I cannot celebrate my wedding now, when my country is bankrrupt’. But well, let’s put ourselves in her place: a Prince Charming is not found everyday, less one who is willing to postpone a wedding until his beloved’s country comes out of the default. (…)

Artículos de Ana von Rebeur
http://www.anavonrebeur.com.ar/

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Verde Esmeralda, it is interesting to read the Argentinian point of view IMHO, though we have had quite some ´poor Maxima´ articles too ;)

You're welcome, Marengo.

Though I want to make clear that this is not "the" argentinian point of view, it's just one that illustrates very well the mood around Máxima at the time she got married, and I would take the risk of saying that it still represents a big majority of people's thoughts about her. Mine in particular.

But we can't forget that the situation of our country in 2002, as described in the article, certainly did not allow too much of an enjoyment. Right now, and after 5 years of Máxima as a princess, I believe many people are now appreciating her much more.

Back
Top Bottom