Prince Charles's Diaries and the Court Case: 2006-2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
Why would a Human Rights Act have to be invoked to grant permission for a Civil Marriage. Hasn't Britain had civil marriages before the Human Rights Act?

Sorry it still doesn't make sense.

They had to check whether his marriage, to a divorcee would affect his right to be King. Some people were comparing the situation with that of Edward VIII. The Diana fans suddenly got religion and were trying to object on religious grounds, saying that Camilla was still married in the eyes of the church.
Yes we had civil marriages for years before this stupid act.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
They had to check whether his marriage, to a divorcee would affect his right to be King. Some people were comparing the situation with that of Edward VIII. The Diana fans suddenly got religion and were trying to object on religious grounds, saying that Camilla was still married in the eyes of the church.
Yes we had civil marriages for years before this stupid act.

I still don't see how the Human Rights Act comes into it. :confused: How would it have jurisdiction on whether Charles could ascend the throne?

ysbel said:
I still don't see how the Human Rights Act comes into it. :confused: How would it have jurisdiction on whether Charles could ascend the throne?

Now that I don't know. To me the only people who should be able to decide what happens in the UK, are the people of the UK, normally via their elected parliament.

ysbel said:
...I find it amusing that this guy thinks Charles is the most litigitous Briton. He obviously has overlooked Elton John who sues the tabloids at the drop of a hat. :rolleyes: Charles and the BRF are rather late in defending themselves publicly.

Oh my God...so true. LOL!!!:D

Prince Charles Blocks Journal Publication

Prince Charles on Friday won a court judgment to block publication of further extracts from his journal, but the High Court ordered a trial to determine whether the journals should stay private — a decision that could compel Charles to testify.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060317/ap_en_...rince_charles_2

Partial victory for Prince Charles in diaries court battle

Prince Charles won a case to prevent publication of further extracts of his diaries about the handover of Hong Kong to China but still faces a legal battle over seven other journals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060317/wl_uk...na_060317113701

Prince Charles Loses Bid to Block Publication of Some Journals

Prince Charles lost the first round of a legal bid to block the publication of some of his personal diaries.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...id=a_32.B44FZYs

That's a victory, whatever the tabloids would like to call it! :)

Avalon said:
Not all of them though. I have seen a couple of newspapers actually calling it a failure.

Which? Daily Mail :D ? That's not surprise me at all :)

What a travesty. I think there are many things the RF should get over because they are in the public, are "ruling" people, are loaded with money while others are poor and so on and so forth. But taking someone's diary and making it public is just plain wrong. I don't care who they are? What people write in their personal journals is just that. It's personal and there is nothing that anyone can say or do to change that fact. I think Prince Charles is handling all this with such dignity and he's my least favorite royal in the British Monarch.

That servant should seriously be hurled off a cliff. I know that's extreme, but I remember one of my best friends going through this same issue. Someone stole her diary from her bookbag and made copies of it and by noon it was all over the school that she was questioning her sexuality and other stuff that she obviously didn't want people to know. She became a social pariah after that and so did many of us who chose to stand by her. You better believe after I was through with the evil spawn who stole her journal, people got over it quickly because I was not having that.

Private thoughts are private for a reason. Prince Charles is entitled to have them and record them and not have those thoughts put on display just like anyone else is. Somewhere you have to draw the line and stop hating.

Last edited:
Vita said:
What a travesty. I think there are many things the RF should get over because they are in the public, are "ruling" people, are loaded with money while others are poor and so on and so forth. But taking someone's diary and making it public is just plain wrong. I don't care who they are? What people write in their personal journals is just that. It's personal and there is nothing that anyone can say or do to change that fact. I think Prince Charles is handling all this with such dignity and he's my least favorite royal in the British Monarch.

That servant should seriously be hurled off a cliff. I know that's extreme, but I remember one of my best friends going through this same issue. Someone stole her diary from her bookbag and made copies of it and by noon it was all over the school that she was questioning her sexuality and other stuff that she obviously didn't want people to know. She became a social pariah after that and so did many of us who chose to stand by her. You better believe after I was through with the evil spawn who stole her journal, people got over it quickly because I was not having that.

Private thoughts are private for a reason. Prince Charles is entitled to have them and record them and not have those thoughts put on display just like anyone else is. Somewhere you have to draw the line and stop hating.

You summed up my thoughts exactly! Royals like Prince Charles have to deal with enough "personal details" being shared (or speculated on) in the media. But to try to put his diaries out there for public consumption is contemptuous! I think he's handling this with a lot more dignity than most.

No matter how much he pays lawyers to stop the publishing of the book in the UK, he cannot stop it being published in the rest of the world. So he is wasting his time in my opinion.

People from the UK will get their hands on it one way or another.

"But even if the Prince was to successfully block the book in the UK courts, the company is thought to be making plans to publish abroad. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=390713&in_page_id=1770

Yes I just saw that in the CNN report.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/21/charles.diaries.ap/index.html

The court very soundly rejected the Daily Mail's argument:

The paper contended that since the event described in the journal -- the handover of Hong Kong -- was a public moment, the diary was neither confidential nor private.
But the appeal court's judgment, handed down by Judge Nicholas Phillips, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, rejected that premise.
"While most of the events described in the journal were in the public domain, what (was) not in the public domain were Prince Charles' comments about them," the judgment said. "It was these that were the essence of the publication in the Mail on Sunday."
The appeals court said the newspaper's own headline -- which used the word "reveals" -- drew attention to the fact that they were publishing new information.

The Daily Mail was trying to engage in some legal doubletalk and the justice caught them redhanded. :)

I'm really happy Charles was vindicated here after having his own trusted employees stealing the documents and then getting up on their high horse and trying to turn public opinion against Charles to cover up their own misdeeds.

Sometimes there is justice in the world.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
Mail on Sunday loses Prince's diaries appeal

The Mail on Sunday today lost its appeal over a High Court ruling that publication of the Prince of Wales's private diaries infringed his copyright and confidentiality.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/21/umail121.xml

Quote from Clarence House after Court of Appeal decision

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/newsandgallery/news/quote_from_clarence_house_after_court_of_appeal_decision_789656094.html

:clap:

Great news, thanks for informing Skydragon! :clap:

great news and this is a good christmas present for his royal highness. He is entitled to have his privacy!

i got receive my cell phone text message about Prince Charles won his case but he happy

Very good news! A victory for justice! Good for the Prince and his right for privacy.
I like the pic of the Victory-Prince on the Pow website-article: Quote from Clarence House!:)

milla Ca said:
Very good news! A victory for justice! Good for the Prince and his right for privacy.
I like the pic of the Victory-Prince on the Pow website-article: Quote from Clarence House!:)

When I heard the appeal had been kicked out, it really cheered me up. All we need now is for BeatrixFan to recover and rejoin the forum! :flowers:

This is just the sort of news I need at the moment.

I will be away for the next couple of weeks as I have to go to my father for Christmas - it will be our first Christmas without my mother who passed away on 29th November and I know that Dad will be feeling very low after over 55 Christmases together as either girlfriend/boyfriend, engaged couple and then married.

I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

A telephone call to Hannover

Maybe the telephone already has been ringing in Schloss Marienburg (near Hannover in Lower Saxony, Germany) with the Prince of Wales asking for the Princess of Hannover, making his gratitude known for her immense and not-to-underestimate achievement in Court.

:flowers:

I'm very happy. The Prince of Wales could have his private life after all! :blush:

Vanesa.

Yes!!!!!!!!! Great news indeed.

Henri M. said:
Maybe the telephone already has been ringing in Schloss Marienburg (near Hannover in Lower Saxony, Germany) with the Prince of Wales asking for the Princess of Hannover, making his gratitude known for her immense and not-to-underestimate achievement in Court.

:flowers:

I don´t think that the Prince of Wales made this phone call to Hanover.
Our great Prince Charles cannot be a friend of someone like Ernst-August, i´m sure!
And when he met Princess Caroline in the seventies, some people think they are a perfect couple to marry, but Charles told later a friend, that the Princess thought he is boring and he thought the same about her...they had nothing to talk about, and nothing else in common...
So i think the relationship of the British Prince to the House of Hanover is not friendly enough to talk about experiences in court...:rolleyes:.

milla Ca said:
I don´t think that the Prince of Wales made this phone call to Hanover.
Our great Prince Charles cannot be a friend of someone like Ernst-August, i´m sure!
And when he met Princess Caroline in the seventies, some people think they are a perfect couple to marry, but Charles told later a friend, that the Princess thought he is boring and he thought the same about her...they had nothing to talk about, and nothing else in common...
So i think the relationship of the British Prince to the House of Hanover is not friendly enough to talk about experiences in court...:rolleyes:.

So can we assume that you milla_Ca, as a resident of Hannover, hold a low opinion of your own prince and princess, Ernst August and Caroline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom