The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
tiaraprin, where have you been? You've missed a lot. :)
My computer needed to be fixed. I am sure however, that many did not miss me

Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 PM

I believe that she left those interview tapes to be shown. She wasn't that naive. She apparantly knew that she was going to die (I don't believe in a conspiracy theory but hear me out). If she knew she was going to be killed then wouldn't she want to leave her mark? And she did. By recording a series of interviews that she knew would be aired at some point, she could say what she liked and feel no come back. The only one they could hurt would be Charles - unfortunately, she didn't seem to realise that it would hurt her sons too.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
And Camilla is not flawed?? The flaws are endless!
Aren't we all flawed in some way? I didn't realise Diana was born of the second immaculate conception.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Aren't we all flawed in some way? I didn't realise Diana was born of the second immaculate conception.
Diana had flaws just like everyone else. At least she tried to have an honest marriage before she sinned. Camilla just wanted to be Alice Keppel all over again.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
At least she tried to have an honest marriage before she sinned.
We don't know that. Only Charles and Diana know that.

Quote:
Camilla just wanted to be Alice Keppel all over again.
I doubt she was spurned on by the idea of creating a family tradition of being a Royal Mistress.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Yes but people now don't scream in defence of Queen Katherine do they? Calling Anne Boleyn nasty names and putting Katherine's image on ceramics? They may have hailed her as a saint in her time, but the passion wears off ...
Maybe, but it lies close under the surface, and that passion could be whipped up again (probably on both sides). You underestimate the power of these stories that resonate with our lives, they become myths, they don't go away. As for her not being Queen, neither was that timeless icon Lady Godiva-- can't you just see Diana riding naked through the streets, the crowds cheering, to force her husband to lower taxes ( so to speak).
Old 11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness

Sam has a point there.

In the end all of them were to blame....and the only ones really left scarred were William and Harry.

Harry even more so..

When people are put on pedestals, the flaws in them are then very hard to see..

Diana and Charles have equal blame in many respects for the breakdown of their marriage.

Maybe when Diana was younger her parents could have gotten her help for the emotional toll she went through regarding her parents' nasty divorce and custody battle.

But then, Charles could have also realized his bride WAS only 19 and did need support directly from him early on.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I doubt she was spurned on by the idea of creating a family tradition of being a Royal Mistress.
Sure she wasn't Upon meeting Prince Charles for the first time she has been widely quoted as propositioning him on the premise of their great grandparents' indiscretions. Gee, that is the way I would greet the Prince of Wales for the first time--NOT!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but it lies close under the surface, and that passion could be whipped up again
Really? All these years after? I know I couldn't give two hoots.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

C'mon...Camilla knew EXACTLY what she was getting into once she agreed to rekindle their affair..

I hardly think anyone having an affair with either the prince or princess could hardly not be aware of the ramifications once the affair was made public.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Really? All these years after? I know I couldn't give two hoots.
The power is still very much there. Charles and Camilla's supporters don't want to see it. Diana will haunt Charles and Camilla for the rest of their lives. The comparisons will never end, the story of what happened will never be laid to rest, all parties will be blamed for decades and centuries to come. This will never go away. This horrible story will be the number one thing remembered about Charles.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Oh I think she is
She could hardly be called a legend, most 15-16 year olds have very little idea who she was, except that she was the mother of William and Harry. Most don't even know she was the ex wife of Prince Charles.
When asked about the prince's wife, they all say Camilla, some say 'my mum says she's not as pretty as his 1st wife'. In this day and age of extended families it is nothing to get too excited about.
When it all gets written about, after Charles is crowned King, Diana will only be seen as a very bitter ex wife, who tried to use the public in her efforts to discredit the husband who tried but, was unable to cope with a very disturbed woman.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Sure she wasn't Upon meeting Prince Charles for the first time she has been widely quoted as propositioning him on the premise of their great grandparents' indiscretions.
So I am to believe that Camilla deliberately forced her way through a crowd to meet Charles to ensnare him with images of Alice Keppell whizzing through her mind? I'd rather believe its actual love if its all the same - and it must be to have lasted so long with Camilla hardly being privelaged until this year.

Quote:
Gee, that is the way I would greet the Prince of Wales for the first time--NOT
Really? From what I've seen of Camilla, she likes to make an impression in a subtle but charming way. Charles fell in love with her just as we Camilla fans have - but in a different way of course. I'll wager that every English Brigadier with a country estate and a couple of dawgs is thrilled to bits to have a true English country woman lined up to sit beside Charles.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Royal Highness

Ahh..but sometimes the "subtle" and "charming" ways the are the best ones used to capture the biggest fish in the pond. Catch more flies with honey.....

Camilla knew what she was doing from the get go..
Old 11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
A woman who has spent her life living up to her great grandmother's infamous legacy and getting lucky by marrying the POW? Gee, that is something I want to emulate--NOT!!
You I presume would rather emulate Diana, who got lucky and married the Prince, only to drive him away with her constant overwhelming demands?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
C'mon...Camilla knew EXACTLY what she was getting into once she agreed to rekindle their affair..
Ah, once she'd agreed to rekindle the affair - but not when it first began. They didnt meet once and immediately fall into each others arms - the love and the relationship grew over time.

Quote:
The power is still very much there. Charles and Camilla's supporters don't want to see it. Diana will haunt Charles and Camilla for the rest of their lives.
Well somehow, I don't think they are that bothered. Charles has grieved for his ex-wife. She's dead and buried and he's got more important things to worry about than her ghost.

Quote:
She could hardly be called a legend, most 15-16 year olds have very little idea who she was, except that she was the mother of William and Harry. Most don't even know she was the ex wife of Prince Charles.
Exactly Skydragon. My sister is 13 and doesn't have a clue who Diana was - she knows the name but not her past position. She knows who Camilla is because she's becoming more aware of the Monarchy and Government etc. But most young people don't care about the RF and thats a seperate problem that needs addressing and nothing to do with Diana.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
So I am to believe that Camilla deliberately forced her way through a crowd to meet Charles to ensnare him with images of Alice Keppell whizzing through her mind? I'd rather believe its actual love if its all the same - and it must be to have lasted so long with Camilla hardly being privelaged until this year.

Really? From what I've seen of Camilla, she likes to make an impression in a subtle but charming way.
Gee, from the way I was raised by my mother, that would be blatantly unacceptable and immoral to greet a Prince that way. I don't even live in the Bible belt of the USA, and greeting a prince that way? It is highly suggestive and if an American woman greeted Charles like that, the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Diana had flaws just like everyone else. At least she tried to have an honest marriage before she sinned. .
Only in your opinion did she try to have an honest marriage.

How do you know that she didn't marry Charles to give her the freedom to bed as many men as possible, thinking that she would not be divorced, after all the royals wouldn't want the scandal!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Gee, from the way I was raised by my mother, that would be blatantly unacceptable and immoral to greet a Prince that way. I don't even live in the Bible belt of the USA, and greeting a prince that way? It is highly suggestive and if an American woman greeted Charles like that, the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption
Yes but don't take them out of context. This is a Royal and a well-heeled country woman meeting for the first time. She curtseyed and then spoke to him with a bit of personality. She didn't curtsey and agree with everything he said, simper and fret or try to impress him by being so obsequious it was a one way conversation. The Royals meet hundreds of starry eyed admirers - to meet one with a bit of pep must be a rare and pleasing thing - and thats what sparked his interest in Camilla - a personality which Diana didn't really have.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes but don't take them out of context. This is a Royal and a well-heeled country woman meeting for the first time. She curtseyed and then spoke to him with a bit of personality. She didn't curtsey and agree with everything he said, simper and fret or try to impress him by being so obsequious it was a one way conversation. The Royals meet hundreds of starry eyed admirers - to meet one with a bit of pep must be a rare and pleasing thing - and thats what sparked his interest in Camilla - a personality which Diana didn't really have.
And if an American said it, I still say the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships