Memories of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She wanted to keep up some charity work and it involved travelling. She visited Bosnia and Africa, to publicise her landmines campaign.. I remember a trip to S America..

Its funny. It seemed like she traveled more than the current royals today.

One thing to remember too is that during the time Diana was The Princess of Wales (up to her divorce becoming final), every foreign trip that she took was at the request of the British government and the FCO, approved by the Queen and a specific itinerary planned. She pretty much was told where to go and what to do. Towards the end of the marriage, TPTB realized that the hostility and the tension between Charles and Diana was becoming *very* obvious (remember the photo at the Taj Mahal?).

After her divorce, she was on her own to do as she pleased. All trips were on her own dime or financed through the charities she supported still. None of her trip were "official" representing the Queen and the UK.

I don't see Diana doing more trips than the present royal family at all. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they're doing more. Of course, because of the Queen's advanced age at 92, she no longer does long haul trips but the rest of the family has really kept quite busy in this respect. The DoE has retired from doing these kind of things altogether. Another point to bring up is that both William and Harry (and their respective spouses) have only been full time working royals for the "Firm" for a relatively short amount of time.

I think it was the South Korea trip where everyone realized enough was enough..they looked miserable.

LaRae

I don't think that the present family's foreign trips get noticed so much...…….except it seems for Meg and Harry...…...

I think it was the South Korea trip where everyone realized enough was enough..they looked miserable.

LaRae

I think you are right-there was no glossing over it anymore on that trip. The frost between showed in the photos.

Last edited:
One thing to remember too is that during the time Diana was The Princess of Wales (up to her divorce becoming final), every foreign trip that she took was at the request of the British government and the FCO, approved by the Queen and a specific itinerary planned. She pretty much was told where to go and what to do. Towards the end of the marriage, TPTB realized that the hostility and the tension between Charles and Diana was becoming *very* obvious (remember the photo at the Taj Mahal?).

After her divorce, she was on her own to do as she pleased. All trips were on her own dime or financed through the charities she supported still. None of her trip were "official" representing the Queen and the UK.

I don't see Diana doing more trips than the present royal family at all. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they're doing more. Of course, because of the Queen's advanced age at 92, she no longer does long haul trips but the rest of the family has really kept quite busy in this respect. The DoE has retired from doing these kind of things altogether. Another point to bring up is that both William and Harry (and their respective spouses) have only been full time working royals for the "Firm" for a relatively short amount of time.

I would have to disagree. I think she did compared to the younger royals. It’s not a bad thing. Maybe because back then everything was in print that it was felt bigger compared to the fast social media were in now.

You're basing your opinion on what Diana did as a full time working royal from the moment she uttered "I do" to two young couples that only have become full time working royals quite recently. Harry left his military career in 2015 and William stepped down from flying for EAAA in 2017.

Let my fingers do the walking and I'm honestly surprised at the number of foreign tours both William and Harry have done *before* they became full time working royals. They're all listed and accounted for.

Another thing we do have to keep in mind on this angle is that the younger royals were and still are *grandsons* of the monarch whereas Diana, during her marriage was the wife of the heir to the throne. William and Harry and their spouses are now stepping up their royal duties and when you think about it, they're starting to hit their stride at ages very close to the age that Diana was when she died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ips_made_by_Prince_William,_Duke_of_Cambridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_overseas_trips_made_by_Prince_Harry,_Duke_of_Sussex.

Diana was plunged into being a full time working royal from day 1 of her marriage. Both William and Harry were allowed to take their time and be part time working royals and were allowed time to pursue their own interests (Harry with his military career and William with search and rescue work), their personal charity work and starting their families.

The real comparisons can be made when William and Harry and spouses tally up their numbers after they've been full time working royals for as long as Diana was. ;)

Anne, Andrew and Edward are consistently traveling to other countries for the various interests they have and as a representative of the Queen.

You're basing your opinion on what Diana did as a full time working royal from the moment she uttered "I do" to two young couples that only have become full time working royals quite recently. Harry left his military career in 2015 and William stepped down from flying for EAAA in 2017.

Let my fingers do the walking and I'm honestly surprised at the number of foreign tours both William and Harry have done *before* they became full time working royals. They're all listed and accounted for.

Another thing we do have to keep in mind on this angle is that the younger royals were and still are *grandsons* of the monarch whereas Diana, during her marriage was the wife of the heir to the throne. William and Harry and their spouses are now stepping up their royal duties and when you think about it, they're starting to hit their stride at ages very close to the age that Diana was when she died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ips_made_by_Prince_William,_Duke_of_Cambridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_overseas_trips_made_by_Prince_Harry,_Duke_of_Sussex.

Diana was plunged into being a full time working royal from day 1 of her marriage. Both William and Harry were allowed to take their time and be part time working royals and were allowed time to pursue their own interests (Harry with his military career and William with search and rescue work), their personal charity work and starting their families.

The real comparisons can be made when William and Harry and spouses tally up their numbers after they've been full time working royals for as long as Diana was. ;)

Anne, Andrew and Edward are consistently traveling to other countries for the various interests they have and as a representative of the Queen.
Like I said I think it’s more likely that it was a different time and how royals would travel a lot more back then in my opinion compared to now. Also the print media made everything bigger. :)

I think you are right-there was no glossing over it anymore on that trip. The frost between showed in the photos.

Oh yes...I think that was then they were called 'The Glums' ...you could tell they couldn't stand to be near each other.

LaRae

When Princess Diana was in Australia, I like the fact that when she was asked to play the piano, she complied. She played Concerto No. 2.

When Princess Diana was in Australia, I like the fact that when she was asked to play the piano, she complied. She played Concerto No. 2.

She was so elegant in everything she did. Even playing the piano. I miss royal tour booklets that they had back in the past.

I think it was just that she and Charles were very popular... (as a couple) and their tours were very much publicised. Now the RFs travels are more fragemented.. Will and Kate doing a small number of royal duties, Charles and Cam doing some .. and none of htem are the "golden couple" that C and Di were at first.. so there is not so much media coverage... I think you could easily miss Willa nd K's tours if yu didn't hapepen to be a big fan and make an effort to follow them...

Possibly that there are so many more media outlets everything is diluted?

One of my first encounters with the fickleness of the tabloid press was recalling that a journalist or columnist was talking about her "catting about on yachts" etc only days before her death then immediately went Queen of Hearts/People's Princess, which turned me off news media (or I supposed tabloid gossip media) for a long time. In reality she was probably neither saint nor sinner but it is difficult to find too many balanced reports.

I think it was just that she and Charles were very popular... (as a couple) and their tours were very much publicised. Now the RFs travels are more fragemented.. Will and Kate doing a small number of royal duties, Charles and Cam doing some .. and none of htem are the "golden couple" that C and Di were at first.. so there is not so much media coverage... I think you could easily miss Willa nd K's tours if yu didn't hapepen to be a big fan and make an effort to follow them...

Interesting, that totally makes sense. Everything is fragmented. But I would buy a royal tour booklets like I have of Diana’s your. I guess you are right in saying back then they were the golden couple or single person(Diana).

I think Heavs is right in that, with thousands of sites online for people to trawl through, everything has become very diluted. There's also the immediacy thing. In Diana's day there was just TV and Press in the form of newspapers and magazines. If Diana was overseas you often had to wait for a news bulletin or a weekly magazine to come out to fully study her new outfits. Now it's all easy access any time of the day or night.

Aslo I think she was very popular. So the Press made a big thing of it, and everyone saw the same TV clips, photos etc. Now, there no one big glam couple in the BRF, the queen and Phil don't travel far these days, Charles still does a lot but he's getting older.. WIll and K are the young pretty couple but they are not as popular as Di was and they have not been working full time in royal duties, so there are not as many big trips to cover....

I doubt that she travelled more than P.Albert II of Monaco, he seems to be everywhere ?

(but that's probably not what you wanted to hear ;) )

Aslo I think she was very popular. So the Press made a big thing of it, and everyone saw the same TV clips, photos etc. Now, there no one big glam couple in the BRF, the queen and Phil don't travel far these days, Charles still does a lot but he's getting older.. WIll and K are the young pretty couple but they are not as popular as Di was and they have not been working full time in royal duties, so there are not as many big trips to cover....
I think thats the biggest factors. I wonder why the royals don't do royal booklets anymore for tours and royal engagements? I think that will also be a good way for people to get to know them more and what they do?

Why would they? Its all on the Net now...

yes but with so much stuff on line, most places don't keep paper things any more...

yes but with so much stuff on line, most places don't keep paper things any more...

Well you never know. I think it would be a good thing and I know times have changed but some people like myself loved the royal booklets/collectibles.

Possibly that there are so many more media outlets everything is diluted?

One of my first encounters with the fickleness of the tabloid press was recalling that a journalist or columnist was talking about her "catting about on yachts" etc only days before her death then immediately went Queen of Hearts/People's Princess, which turned me off news media (or I supposed tabloid gossip media) for a long time. In reality she was probably neither saint nor sinner but it is difficult to find too many balanced reports.

What does "catting about on yachts" refer to?

Well you never know. I think it would be a good thing and I know times have changed but some people like myself loved the royal booklets/collectibles.

I really hadn't thought about it up until now but its been a good 20 years since I've bought a newspaper or a magazine even. With so much online and news coverage 24/7 on the TV, I've hadn't had need of any.

I do, however, have a Stuart crystal commemorative candle that was released around the time of Diana's death. Other than that, as far as collectibles, its all books, books and more books. :D

Hmm well usually catting, aka tom catting, refers to whoring around (Cat Houses were brothels back in the day).

LaRae
Charming expresstion about a woman enjoying a holiday with a boyfriend....

I think that it's simply that her trips were highly publicized. There was one time in the 90s when she took a solo working trip to Australia. IIRC The Queen was on a tour at the same time, but there wasn't nearly so much publicity. :flowers:

I think that it's simply that her trips were highly publicized. There was one time in the 90s when she took a solo working trip to Australia. IIRC The Queen was on a tour at the same time, but there wasn't nearly so much publicity. :flowers:

Wow I could never imagine that happening ever in this day and age. If the Queen were to go on tour(we all know she will not) at the same time as the popular younger royals, no doubt The Queen’s would be much publicized. But, I do see your point in that Diana’s tours and visits were always highly publicized.

Yes she got more coverage because she was very popular. so did Chalres for a time when she and he were still working together and seen as the young and up and coming heir to the throne and his wife. now the RF has less "mega publicity".. Individual couples like Will and K have their fans, but its not "all over the news' the way it was years ago, when there were less media outlets.

Wow I could never imagine that happening ever in this day and age. If the Queen were to go on tour(we all know she will not) at the same time as the popular younger royals, no doubt The Queen’s would be much publicized. But, I do see your point in that Diana’s tours and visits were always highly publicized.

One thing that really helped Diana's publicity a lot is that she had her phone on speed dial to the Daily Fail and Richard Kay. :D

Back
Top Bottom