Memories of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diana most definitely loved to dance and its the years and years of doing it that gave her the natural grace she had. That's one place that Charles and Diana shone. On the dance floor.

I don't believe I've read anywhere where Diana was particularly trained in Irish step dance. However, Diana and Harry did go and watch a performance of Riverdance back in 1996 (2 years after Riverdance debuted) and I would imagine she absolutely loved it.
No never heard of her having any relationship with Rep of Ireland.. or Irish dancing..
I don't know if Charles was much of a dancer

:previous: Did not Prince Charles take dancing lessons when he was in school?

I have no idea, I shouldn't think so...…

Would not Charles have needed to know how to dance for all the royal balls, parties, and receptions that were given? Obviously he knew how to dance before he met Diana.

I don't know if Charles received formal dancing lessons but he could hold his own on the dance floor and seemed to enjoy it. Case in point was the time (when Charles was single) and dating Anna "Whiplash" Wallace and she got very irate and walked out on him because he spent too much time on the dance floor with Camilla. :D

Diana definitely was the more adept dancer as she loved the dance and wanted to be a ballerina until she grew too tall. She was forever with her walkman and dancing wherever she could find room to do it in.

Diana dancing with John Travolta is my personal favorite.

Charles and Anne (and probably Andrew and Edward) took private dancing lessons from Madame Vacani, who taught generations of royals (including Elizabeth and Margaret) and aristocrats' children both at Windsor, Buckingham Palace and at rooms in Mayfair for her general dancing classes. There were two Madame Vacanis, Betty and Marguerite. Diana later briefly helped out at dancing classes for this school in the 1970s.

Charles may have been taught Scottish Highland dancing privately by another teacher. I know the Strathmores had their children taught this form of dance by an elderly piper who went weekly to Glamis, and something like that may have been arranged for Charles at BP.

Last edited:
Diana had inner beauty that really shined through her.

Charles and Anne (and probably Andrew and Edward) took private dancing lessons from Madame Vacani, who taught generations of royals (including Elizabeth and Margaret) and aristocrats' children both at Windsor, Buckingham Palace and at rooms in Mayfair for her general dancing classes. There were two Madame Vacanis, Betty and Marguerite. Diana later briefly helped out at dancing classes for this school in the 1970s.

Charles may have been taught Scottish Highland dancing privately by another teacher. I know the Strathmores had their children taught this form of dance by an elderly piper who went weekly to Glamis, and something like that may have been arranged for Charles at BP.

I suppose he might have learned but as a kid, before he went to school... and possibly because of the Scottish connextion he did have to learn Highland dancing as well but privately...

I was watching videos of her visiting Leprosy hospitals and her being a patron of Leprosy and I loved how she poured out her love to them and showed compassion and humbleness. That’s what true royalty is and what a true princess is. A princess that shows love to everyone especially those in need. She will always be my favorite princess.

I was watching videos of her visiting Leprosy hospitals and her being a patron of Leprosy and I loved how she poured out her love to them and showed compassion and humbleness. That’s what true royalty is and what a true princess is. A princess that shows love to everyone especially those in need. She will always be my favorite princess.

She was amazing with the people. She loved people and people loved her right back. There was so much more to Diana than what people normally talk about whenever her name comes up. It’s 2019 and shes still not forgotten.

She was amazing with the people. She loved people and people loved her right back. There was so much more to Diana than what people normally talk about whenever her name comes up. It’s 2019 and shes still not forgotten.
Oh 100% agree with you. Not many public figures are that opened enough to pour out love the way she did. Its no wonder why she is still the standard princess and she is the People's Princess. I read on her tour to India in 1992 when she visited the Leprosy unit, she secretly donated 10,000 pounds of her own money to the hospital and that the owner of that hospital was grateful to her for her visit and her donation. Don't forget she would visit hospitals and homeless shelters at night without the public even knowing.

I believe this would be the proper thread for this. I found this comment on a youtube video that I had watched nearly a year ago. So, I don't know this lady, but I honestly believe her small story. You can be the judge of it, but much of what she says was just like Diana, Princess of Wales:

Jane Kirk 1 year ago

"Midweek in a nearly empty bar my then boyfriend, an aristocrat) and. I walked in to get a few drinks. He met an old schoolfriend and they immediately started being loud and silly as those people were apt to do. There was a blonde girl sat at a table, our eyes met and she gave me a small embarrassed smile. I walked over and sat next to her. All i could think of what beautiful eyes she had. She wore no make up and a Laura Ashley dress. We were both very shy and young - i was just 17. We smiled awkwardly at each other and i said i’m Jane she said i’m Diana. Then she said ‘i love your dress’. I was wearing a blue striped dress. I said ‘ i bought stripes because i thought it would make me look thinner’ . She said ‘but you’re not fat i’m. Fat’ ( we didn’t know we were both suffering from bulimia). I told her she was crazy and she was everything i wanted to look like, tall, blonde, blue eyed. She looked slightly sad for a second and said ‘I’m too tall’. And i said ‘I’m too small’ then we burst into giggles. I asked her if one of the men my boyfriend was with was her boyfriend. She said ‘oh no, he’s just an old friend’ She asked me if the ‘tall one’ was mine. I said yes but we havent been together very long and that he was my first boyfriend. And then i said ‘ i dont see him very often’ She shot sideways in her seat so she could me full in the face ‘why’s that’. I dont know want made me say it, only my closest friend knew. I said ‘ i dont think he’s really finished with his ex yet ( he hadnt far from it). She stared at me very intently and asked me what made me think that. I said i didnt know it was, just a feeling’ And she was nodding like crazy. So i asked her if she had a boyfriend and she pulled back and was slightly guarded and gave me a deep penetrative look and said ‘Well sort of. But i think it’s a bit like you’. And all i could think of to say was ‘oh’. Then i said ‘ i cant see anyone not wanting someone as pretty as you’. And she blushed deep red and said ‘but you’re so lovely you look like a much prettier version of Kate Bush’. And i just burst out laughing and wailed ‘oh no, people are always telling me i look like her’ and she said ‘Oh God, i’m so sorry’ but i just laughed it off. We must have talked for about another hour but i cant remember what about, i know we both got our shoes from Russell and Bromley then, but that’s all. Ive wished over and over again to remember the conversation almost certainly just teenage girl talk ( we were only a year apart in age). But she, was so easy to talk to once you got through the shyness of both of us. But one thing i distinctly remember her saying was ‘we havent got much self confidence have we.’ And i said ‘no, my boyfriends always telling me that’ and she said ‘so’s mine’. Anyway, they rang the final bell and some ginger haired idiot who’d been with the others staggered over and said ‘aaahhh we’ve been neglecting the ladies’ and Diana said ‘oh we’ve been fine’. As we were putting her coats on she said ‘i wish we’d been on our own for longer’. But before we left the tablet the idiot wanted to take a photo of us. We protested and said how much we didnt want to. So he did. I didnt see that picture for three years and i didnt realise at the time she was holding my hand. I’ve often wondered what happened to it. I wish i had it. When we left the bar my boyfriend asked me who i’d been talking to i said ‘Oh, just some girl called Diana. She was really nice’. Six months later my boyfriend and i walked into my mother’s front room to watch the announcement of H.R.H Prince of Wales to Lady Diana Spencer. And i just burst into floods of tears. My mother and my boyfriend looked at me like i was mad. But i said ‘He’ll kill her’! My mother told me not to be so stupid. But when the ‘love’ question came up and he said ‘whatever love means’ my blood turned to ice and i started to cry again. Even my mother who’s a cynical bitch said it was an ‘odd’ answer. And of course the rest of the story is known. I didnt fare any better with the love of my life. Two days after my 18th birthday i took 100 valium, i too had started to self harm. As for my boyfriend we moved into his parents cottage. Six months later he threw me out. I was ‘too shy’ and ‘didnt try hard enough’. Three months later he married and broke my heart. But, at least i’m alive. If you could only turn back time."

In my honest opinion, I believe in “modern” times only two people made huge impact as a princess are Grace and Diana.

In my heart, this is why I truly admired Diana, Princess of Wales.

"James Whetton was 6 days old and desperately ill when the world’s most famous woman took him in her arms.
James was in the Royal Brompton Hospital, for heart and lung conditions, when Diana made a private visit.
His mom and grandparents were there when Diana arrived, alone and unannounced.
After pausing at each bedside, she lingered longer when she reached James.
"There must've been something about me", James said, "I was the youngest on the ward and born with jet-black hair. She said to my mum that I had lovely hair and asked what my name was. She then asked if she could pick me up. My mum said she truly cared and was there all day. The photograph was taken by my granddad, who said she was lovely and acted like a normal person."
James keeps the picture on his phone. "It’s a nice feeling to know that not only did a princess hold you, but a princess who was the best of them all."
Diana secretly visited the hospital at least 3 times a week and spent up to 4 hours with patients, holding their hands and talking to them.
"Some will live and some won’t, but they all need to be loved while they are here", Diana said. "I try to be there for them. I really love helping"..."

(I have the picture but not permission to publish).

In my heart, this is why I truly admired Diana, Princess of Wales.

"James Whetton was 6 days old and desperately ill when the world’s most famous woman took him in her arms.
James was in the Royal Brompton Hospital, for heart and lung conditions, when Diana made a private visit.
His mom and grandparents were there when Diana arrived, alone and unannounced.
After pausing at each bedside, she lingered longer when she reached James.
"There must've been something about me", James said, "I was the youngest on the ward and born with jet-black hair. She said to my mum that I had lovely hair and asked what my name was. She then asked if she could pick me up. My mum said she truly cared and was there all day. The photograph was taken by my granddad, who said she was lovely and acted like a normal person."
James keeps the picture on his phone. "It’s a nice feeling to know that not only did a princess hold you, but a princess who was the best of them all."
Diana secretly visited the hospital at least 3 times a week and spent up to 4 hours with patients, holding their hands and talking to them.
"Some will live and some won’t, but they all need to be loved while they are here", Diana said. "I try to be there for them. I really love helping"..."

(I have the picture but not permission to publish).

Thats a beautiful story. I never knew she did that.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/7...ly-joels-uptown-girl-on-stage-prince-charles/

Not to nitpick the Wayne Sleep incident, but recall some unfavorable opinion that Diana behaved.. less than royal on the particular evening. Still (8) curtain calls with an audience standing, applauding, meant it was well received.

Hindsight suggests that Charles missed a great opportunity to publicly give support for Diana's surprise gift, applauding her for taking the trouble to make an event happen on his behalf, yet on the other hand...that she caused him embarrassment for a display of this kind..?

Last edited:
Both. Charles probably was taken aback and embarrassed, in his uptight way. It would have been a great opportunity imo for him to have been lighthearted about it and applauded his wife for taking a great deal of trouble to please him.

However, you have to consider the times. Over thirty years have passed since that performance and if it happened today most royal husbands would be happy and proud about their wives dancing, imo.

Not in 1985 however. It was probably a step too far, though Charles’s reaction was exacerbated in my view by believing somehow that his wife dancing was an attack on his status and position and his dignity.

Wayne Sleep who was actually there, as I recall, felt that the reason Charles was a bit less than delighted was that hte preivous year, he and Diana had done a skit together but that this year she had blindsided him by working up this dance act with SLeep.

Yes, they sang a parody of a popular ice cream advert together on that occasion as I remember, and it wasn’t that well received. That shouldn’t have stopped Charles from appreciating Diana’s performance though, even if he was put out.

I would have thought that anything Charles and Diana did, as a skit would be well received. Im sure it was a fairly sychophantic audience...And AS far as I know, Charles was publicly polite about the dancing.. but was cooler about it behind the scenes.

I would have thought that anything Charles and Diana did, as a skit would be well received. I'm sure it was a fairly sychophantic audience...And AS far as I know, Charles was publicly polite about the dancing.. but was cooler about it behind the scenes.

Polite and reserved is one way to go, but for her to have breakfast the next morning and read: "Diana's talent for dance has always been there, I was never more impressed with it than last night. The moment came and went but it's something to treasure and remember, the place and time..."

Last edited:
Polite and reserved is one way to go, but for her to have breakfast the next morning and read: "Diana's talent for dance has always been there, I was never more impressed with it than last night. The moment came and went but it's something to treasure and remember, the place and time..."

sorry who said this about her? Wayne Sleep?

The hypothetical of waking the next morning and being aware of public praise of her performance from Charles...and the difference to her self esteem.
☀️
"Diana's talent for dance has always been there, I was never more impressed with it than last night. The moment came and went but it's something to treasure and remember, the place and time..."

really dont understand this. Charles would not have ever said anything like this even had he been completely happy with her perfromance. He occasionally in the ealry days said soemthing to newsmen about how proud he was of her, but generally it was not his style nor the royal style to make public pronouncements of this nature. WE know that While he was polite about it in public, he was a bit cooler in private and that upset diana. And Wayne Sleep was probalby right in thinking that he was a bit cool because he felt left out, so it was an unfortunate mis reading of her husband that had made Diana do it.. the 2 of them unfortunately DID misread each other quite often

Last edited:
Let's say a Polo match were waged in a close contest, one that involved more drama than usual, and it came down to Charles scoring the winning goal for his team, I doubt would there be any holding back describing it. Except in this case you're right, regardless of how well she performed on her own, what that does is end up putting him in an embarrassing position.

The dilemma - is that what she did was exceptional and the idea that she caused a rift in some way, is not right.

Last edited:
Let's say a Polo match were waged in a close contest, one that involved more drama than usual, and it came down to Charles scoring the winning goal for his team, I doubt would there be any holding back describing it. Except in this case you're right, regardless of how well she performed on her own, what that does is end up putting him in an embarrassing position.

The dilemma - is that what she did was exceptional and the idea that she caused a rift in some way, is not right.

I cant remember the papers ever describing any polo matches.. they are a specialty interest as it si a rich man's sport and not that many people play it or take any interest in it. Diana's dancing was at a semi private gala for supporters of Covent Garden, and it still made the front pages because of her status as a Princess doing a dance. Her behavour seems to have caused some tension between her and Charles but by then it was far from uncommon for them to row, or misunderstand each other and end up at odds. by the late 80s more and more stories were beginning to seep out about arguments between the couple and a few times they were on the verge of a big row in public but just about avoided being seen yelling and pushing each other.
As i've said, Sleep was probably right in thinking that Charles was a bit annoyed because he felt upset that diana's deciding to work up a secret act wtih him, (Sleep) rather than do a skit or act wtih Charles. He felt left out and perhaps he DID feel that Diana was showing off a bit. With a happy couple it would probalbly have been the cause of a row in private or a day or 2 of sulking but it wouldnt have been that big an issue. But they werne't a happy couple and they so often just said the wrong thing and upset each other

Last edited:
To mark what would have been Diana’s 61st birthday on July 1, Graham Dene will be talking all about his encounters with the Princess on his show, which airs on Boom Radio every Monday to Friday at 7.30am.

This is a trailer for another new documentary on Princess Diana. Its to be released on Thursday, June 3oth:

Last edited:
Happy heavenly birthday Diana..!!

Back
Top Bottom