The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

yes but with so much stuff on line, most places don't keep paper things any more...

Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
yes but with so much stuff on line, most places don't keep paper things any more...
Well you never know. I think it would be a good thing and I know times have changed but some people like myself loved the royal booklets/collectibles.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Possibly that there are so many more media outlets everything is diluted?

One of my first encounters with the fickleness of the tabloid press was recalling that a journalist or columnist was talking about her "catting about on yachts" etc only days before her death then immediately went Queen of Hearts/People's Princess, which turned me off news media (or I supposed tabloid gossip media) for a long time. In reality she was probably neither saint nor sinner but it is difficult to find too many balanced reports.
What does "catting about on yachts" refer to?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What does "catting about on yachts" refer to?
Hmm well usually catting, aka tom catting, refers to whoring around (Cat Houses were brothels back in the day).

LaRae
Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Well you never know. I think it would be a good thing and I know times have changed but some people like myself loved the royal booklets/collectibles.
I really hadn't thought about it up until now but its been a good 20 years since I've bought a newspaper or a magazine even. With so much online and news coverage 24/7 on the TV, I've hadn't had need of any.

I do, however, have a Stuart crystal commemorative candle that was released around the time of Diana's death. Other than that, as far as collectibles, its all books, books and more books.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmm well usually catting, aka tom catting, refers to whoring around (Cat Houses were brothels back in the day).

LaRae
Charming expresstion about a woman enjoying a holiday with a boyfriend....
Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Majesty

I think that it's simply that her trips were highly publicized. There was one time in the 90s when she took a solo working trip to Australia. IIRC The Queen was on a tour at the same time, but there wasn't nearly so much publicity.

Quote:
Its funny. It seemed like she traveled more than the current royals today.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that it's simply that her trips were highly publicized. There was one time in the 90s when she took a solo working trip to Australia. IIRC The Queen was on a tour at the same time, but there wasn't nearly so much publicity.
Wow I could never imagine that happening ever in this day and age. If the Queen were to go on tour(we all know she will not) at the same time as the popular younger royals, no doubt The Queen’s would be much publicized. But, I do see your point in that Diana’s tours and visits were always highly publicized.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes she got more coverage because she was very popular. so did Chalres for a time when she and he were still working together and seen as the young and up and coming heir to the throne and his wife. now the RF has less "mega publicity".. Individual couples like Will and K have their fans, but its not "all over the news' the way it was years ago, when there were less media outlets.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Wow I could never imagine that happening ever in this day and age. If the Queen were to go on tour(we all know she will not) at the same time as the popular younger royals, no doubt The Queen’s would be much publicized. But, I do see your point in that Diana’s tours and visits were always highly publicized.
One thing that really helped Diana's publicity a lot is that she had her phone on speed dial to the Daily Fail and Richard Kay.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing that really helped Diana's publicity a lot is that she had her phone on speed dial to the Daily Fail and Richard Kay.
True but also she was the most photographed and famous woman at that time so it wasn’t hard to publicized her lol!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

They wodl not have bothered with her if the public had not wanted to see pictures and stories about her....
Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes she got more coverage because she was very popular. so did Chalres for a time when she and he were still working together and seen as the young and up and coming heir to the throne and his wife. now the RF has less "mega publicity".. Individual couples like Will and K have their fans, but its not "all over the news' the way it was years ago, when there were less media outlets.
And thank goodness that is the case now--there was a hysteria around Diana and it was disturbing at times.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Actually, I have to believe that all the publicity and front pages and the demand to know what was up with Diana was a double edged sword.

On one hand, they hounded her, they pursued her and they made a lot of money off her but on the positive side, it was the adulation and the crowds that did show their appreciation for Diana which gave her the shot in the arm to boost her self esteem and let her know she was wanted and needed in this world during some very bleak times in her life.

The more we learn and "get to know" Diana, the more we realize just how complex of a woman she really was.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They wodl not have bothered with her if the public had not wanted to see pictures and stories about her....
Exactly! Some forget it’s the public who wanted to see Diana and loved her. She was and still is a beloved figure.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Majesty

And there's the rub. We wanted to see her pictures and read news about her, which increased her value to the papers and the magazines, which in turn created a need for more and more material about her. Then that eventually led to the paparazzi and the legitimate photographers bothering her more. I don't buy magazines like HELLO or PEOPLE any more, because I realize that it was, in part, our desire for Diana's image that led to her death. It was more complicated than just paparazzi harrassment, I know; but it was a factor.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
And there's the rub. We wanted to see her pictures and read news about her, which increased her value to the papers and the magazines, which in turn created a need for more and more material about her. Then that eventually led to the paparazzi and the legitimate photographers bothering her more. I don't buy magazines like HELLO or PEOPLE any more, because I realize that it was, in part, our desire for Diana's image that led to her death. It was more complicated than just paparazzi harrassment, I know; but it was a factor.
Oh I didn’t know that. I just liked the boilers and collectibles about her that’s all.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 AM
Majesty

Yes, actually there was a wave of anger against the Press immediately following her death. Reporters who tried to move among the crowds outside the Palaces reported it, and it wasn't just rage against Charles or the BRF. I saw it myself.

Columnists who had written negative stories about Diana before her death, papparazi, tabloid editors and certain reporters, magazine editors who had bought photos, were all believed to bear responsibility for her death in the tunnel.

Some received death threats even, and took leave for a week or two until after the funeral and things had calmed down. Some people said they would never buy a magazine again. I guess some kept to that. I haven't bought many since.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

I also remember that anger against the press. Back before Diana was killed, going through the grocery store check out, it seemed Diana's face was on just about every magazine and tabloid they had. After her death, at least the grocery store I went to refused to flagrantly display tabloid articles that promised all the "gruesome details" and if I remember correctly, the National Enquirer was even banned for a time and wasn't available for sale.

Perhaps if Diana hadn't courted the media as much as she did in order to "get her story out" and alerted the tabloids of where she'd be and kept feeding them, it wouldn't have gotten so bad. When it finally reached the point where she was getting so much negative press, there wasn't a damned thing she could do about it and most likely regretted courting them.

Richard Kay of the Daily Fail was one of the last people to talk to Diana before she died. That, right there, tells me something.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Majesty

I remember Diana being big news that last summer because of her holidays and her new relationship with Dodi. Her reputation was really taking a hit for associating with the Fayeds and the headlines were awful.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana